Quantcast
Summit Comps in the R&B stuff? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summit Comps in the R&B stuff?
Old 21st May 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
andrewj's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Summit Comps in the R&B stuff?

Read a lot about the Summit stuff and still would like to know a bit about them! Anyone here that can say: Yeah this is definately my favorit compressor for this job or that job??? Am I right that these units are not as versatile as others?

Some weeks ago, before I got too confused I was thinking of buying a Fatsofor the 2Track and a Summit TLA-50 for my guitar, bass and vocal recordings!!!???
Old 21st May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
indie's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I LOVE the TLA-50 when mixing --- on bass, vocal, snr and guitars...elec and acoustic.
I just happen to always trk with other compressors I'm very use to.
It's a really cool piece for thickening and making it poke through at the same time.
I have and use 2 on every mix.
thumbsup
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
No doubt Summit gear is amazing. The DCL200 is a great piece to warm up a digital mix.
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
  #4
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
TLA100 is an incredible vocal compressor!
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I cann't comment on the Summit TLA-50 because i've never used it , but the Summit TLA 100 is fantastic for compression of vocals both in tracking and mixing ....their pre-amps are also nice if you want something with character and not a sterile/clean box .

A good box with a lot of dynamic control for tracking is the Summit MPC-100a .
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
TLA-100a is an amazing piece of gear. I wish I had my own.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I have had a few pre-amps in my studio and for some reason the MPC-100a has never been on the chopping block , i still love it after all this time , i also love the fact that it's not a finiky box to work .
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
andrewj's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
No doubt Summit gear is amazing. The DCL200 is a great piece to warm up a digital mix.
And can it also squash stuff? And what about tracking? This unit looks great and I would love to use it, but I have no money to buy compressors for more than 3.5k EUR
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I could very well be wrong but i thought the tla-50 was the same as the tla 100 but it just a half rack piece of gear that was geared towards project studio's? Well like i said i could be wrong. I have never heard the 100 but the tla 50 from what i hear from a friend of mine is a nice unit...I am going to borrow it from him and see what i think from first hand experience...

The description of the sweetwater website:

Classic Summit Audio sound - for less
The TLA-50 Tube Leveling Amplifier offers the sound of Summit Audio's famous TLA-100 in a half-rack package designed for smaller digital studios and live rigs. The price is nice, too.

The TLA-50 adds warmth to your digital signal, while providing an extremely musical compression. Overall, the TLA-50 delivers the classic smooth Summit Audio sound.

This full-featured leveling amplifier offers three position attack and release switches, continuously variable gain and gain reduction control, and provides VU metering of output and gain reduction for precise visual tailoring of the audio signal. The TLA-50 also features a side chain insert for flexible use.

The output stage is a discrete component transistor circuit optimized for smooth and quiet response utilizing plus and minus 24-volt rails from the internal high-voltage power supply. The unit also offers the ability to link with another TLA-50 for outstanding stereo compression capabilities.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #10
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx
I could very well be wrong but i thought the tla-50 was the same as the tla 100 but it just a half rack piece of gear that was geared towards project studio's? Well like i said i could be wrong. I have never heard the 100 but the tla 50 from what i hear from a friend of mine is a nice unit...I am going to borrow it from him and see what i think from first hand experience...
Yes, you are wrong...
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Yes, you are wrong...
Whats the huge difference if you don't mind.....And the basic point i was trying to make is the TLA-50 just might be a good piece at a good price that will work for what he's trying to do but i have not heard neither one(in my own studio with my own work to a/b it wit) so i can't say that is the case 100%, but judging from what i heard about the tla-50 and what i heard tracked through it, even some major artists work(not into dropping names) its a good piece.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #12
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx
Whats the huge difference if you don't mind.....And the basic point i was trying to make is the TLA-50 just might be a good piece at a good price that will work for what he's trying to do but i have not heard neither one(in my own studio with my own work to a/b it wit) so i can't say that is the case 100%, but judging from what i heard about the tla-50 and what i heard tracked through it, even some major artists work(not into dropping names) its a good piece.
Without a doubt the TLA 50 is a great piece for the price.. But, as far as the inner workings, they don't share any of the same circuitry or tubes, etc.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj
And can it also squash stuff? And what about tracking? This unit looks great and I would love to use it, but I have no money to buy compressors for more than 3.5k EUR

It's a great piece for squashing, but I typically use it only for it's amazing harmonics on a full mix. This thing has color for days.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
andrewj's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
It's a great piece for squashing, but I typically use it only for it's amazing harmonics on a full mix. This thing has color for days.
So more a buss unit than a tracker? More a glossy high end sound than a squasher?
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
ok i see, i didn't know what the difference was but that does make sense....i was curious cause i'm looking into the TLA-50 myself b/c of what i heard tracked wit it. A friend i know with one say's its comparable to the LA-2 and that compressor i love the software version of it....
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
andrewj's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx
ok i see, i didn't know what the difference was but that does make sense....i was curious cause i'm looking into the TLA-50 myself b/c of what i heard tracked wit it. A friend i know with one say's its comparable to the LA-2 and that compressor i love the software version of it....
This little sweetie seems to be used a lot! Perhaps a good buy at all? Maybe two of them will also do a good job 2buss???
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Syki's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx
ok i see, i didn't know what the difference was but that does make sense....i was curious cause i'm looking into the TLA-50 myself b/c of what i heard tracked wit it. A friend i know with one say's its comparable to the LA-2 and that compressor i love the software version of it....
I thought it was the TLA 100a that was directly compared to a La 2a. Killer compressor. On more major tracks then you can imagine.
My secret weapon is a Summit TPA200b pre. One of the more versatile pre's I've ever used.

I often wondered why Gearslutz never talked much about the Summit gear.too much?

http://www.summitaudio.com/tla-100a-amplifier.htm
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
TLA-100a

TLA-100a incredible....
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
andrewj's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphony
TLA-100a incredible....
also for fatting up the buss and adding some glue there?
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
TLA-100a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj
also for fatting up the buss and adding some glue there?
Yea I think what your asking is to put it across the 2 mix (PRE VCA!!!) right? It would work never actually did it myself.

I use it for tracking....however I will say that when the tubes decide to die on ya..and they will!!..they take awhile to get from the company....
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 32 views: 6053
Avatar for ghoost
ghoost 11th January 2003
replies: 68 views: 23012
Avatar for Jimbo
Jimbo 11th June 2009
replies: 203 views: 51250
Avatar for Mercado_Negro
Mercado_Negro 5th June 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump