Quantcast
Tony can a person Turn OFF Quantize in Cubase SX???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tony can a person Turn OFF Quantize in Cubase SX????
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tony can a person Turn OFF Quantize in Cubase SX????

Ive seen so many people talk about how this is a better way of playing in drums by hand. That in itself is not a problem to me, however, so far the only way we can get around hard quantize is to turn off the SNAP. Now is this really turning OFF quantize? or is this just turning off a milder form of quantizing?

Tony do ya know? Maybe someone else?

Just asking

Peace
Illumination
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
On your transport bar there is a function that says "Auto Quantize", make sure that is turned off... Hopefully that'll set things right.

Then, RTFM! heh Lots of useful details in there.

BTW Tony likes Logic and uses PT but I never read him saying anything about using Steinberg software.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Steinbergs Nuendo is a great software, very expensive but it is phenomenal.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I hope no one took that as anything against Steinberg.

I'm an SX3 user; I like it. I was simply trying to say that Tony may not be the first guy to go to with a Cubase issue...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As psycko said make sure that "auto Quantise" is turned off on the transport bar.
Everything you play in will now be recorded without automatic quantisation.

When editing in the midi editor or moving audio slices turn "snap" off to nudge timing without the notes automatically "snapping" to quantise values.

As said previously R.T.F.M. or buy a good book like "the fast guide to cubase sx" which was an invaluable guide to me when i first switched to cubase.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok just to clarify

Its not that I never read the manual, I just never thought twice about recording without quantize on because I dont play drums in by hand that often.

However, now that I actually look at the transport bar, it seem I never recorded with Auto Quantize on AT ALL. I usually do leave snap on, however.

But this may explain why my keyboard stuff is usually a little looser than the drums which always have to be messed with, since I program them instead of play them most of the time.

But as of late now that Ive begun experimenting with playing them in, I became conscious of this issue.

Oh well, I guess what would be better is playing in the drums more.

Got really pampered by Cubases Drum editor from the VST days.

Peace
Illumination
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Damn, it seems that lots of good features were lost when VST went out. WTF, doesn't Steinberg understand these things were useful?

Time to start new moan zone topic, "when handy features get removed".

Sorry I couldn't help, Ill.

There's a weird time-lag thing that can sometimes occur in SX when playing in MIDI thru a USB controller (there's a fix), but I don't think that's what you're dealing with.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yup

I got it somewhat correct, but it does kill the highs when your notes arent quite where they are supposed to be. Its like that period in SX, I think the solution is to kind of get your sequences straightened out in Cubase VST and then when the audio part becomes a necessity you go into SX and import the files form VST.

Thats what my PNC does, but I just use SX screw ups and all and say f*ck it. I just correct it later.

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a solution if you think SX is misplacing your midi notes...

Record audio tracks. You know, like before there was midi? There ya go.

Seriously though, midi timing in SX is fine for me once I set the Ignore Port Filter. It's windows midi that's the problem not anything inherent in SX. Those emulated ports play havoc with midi timing.

Now if you're a mac user than obviously that can't be it.

Lawrence
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence

Seriously though, midi timing in SX is fine for me once I set the Ignore Port Filter. It's windows midi that's the problem not anything inherent in SX. Those emulated ports play havoc with midi timing.

Lawrence
This is my favourite Cubase problem!
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Lawrence
Hi,

Please Please Please, could you tell me how to set the Ignore Port FIlter!? I am

having this problem in SX running XP...

thanks!
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_j
Hi,

Please Please Please, could you tell me how to set the Ignore Port FIlter!? I am

having this problem in SX running XP...

thanks!
Look in the Cubase SX directory and (I can't remember it now) there's a folder with a file in it named "ignore port filter". Drag that file out of the folder into the SX directory.

I might have a step or two wrong. Google "SX" "ignore port filer". It's a well documented midi "fix".

Lawrence
Dor
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtheone
Steinbergs Nuendo is a great software, very expensive but it is phenomenal.
Why is Nuendo 3 $2k? Logic is $1k and I thought that was outrageous when I grabbed it.

D
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
Why is Nuendo 3 $2k? Logic is $1k and I thought that was outrageous when I grabbed it.

D

Cuz you need to put that extra $2000+ into a decent mac to run Logic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Logic is far more processor efficient on Mac than nuendo or cubase. I can get more plug ins and tracks on my G4 dual on Logic than the stienberg products. They are great programs though and I think the mixer is slightly better.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Look in the Cubase SX directory and (I can't remember it now) there's a folder with a file in it named "ignore port filter". Drag that file out of the folder into the SX directory.

I might have a step or two wrong. Google "SX" "ignore port filer". It's a well documented midi "fix".

Lawrence
this has worked, thank you so much!
πŸ“ Reply