The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emulating MPC note repeat
Old 19th March 2006

🎧 15 years
Emulating MPC note repeat

one of my favourite features using a MPC is the note repeat function. however i am having alot of difficulty reproducing this in cubasesx3 and kontakt2. ideally what i would like to do is modulate the velocity of the hats using aftertouch on my keyboard and switch up between 8th/16ths etc fast so i can get those southern hi hat rolls. ive tried alot of different ways using the arp in cubase and kontakt2's repeat script but nothing is as smooth and fluid as the mpc.

any ideas?
Old 19th March 2006
amp

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRUNK
one of my favourite features using a MPC is the note repeat function. however i am having alot of difficulty reproducing this in cubasesx3 and kontakt2. ideally what i would like to do is modulate the velocity of the hats using aftertouch on my keyboard and switch up between 8th/16ths etc fast so i can get those southern hi hat rolls. ive tried alot of different ways using the arp in cubase and kontakt2's repeat script but nothing is as smooth and fluid as the mpc.

any ideas?
if youre working with kontakt use the retrigger script and set it accordingly on how fast you want the note to repeat.another thing, kontakt is light years ahead of any mpc in terms of performance, so by you trying accomplish a task with kontakt in the same manner as the mpc is actually dumbing down the program. they recently came out with a tutorial dvd that you might find useful
Old 20th March 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
hey

i have used the retrigger script but it has poor timing when looped. you cannot also change the quantisation 'on-the-fly'

a solution recording directly in cubase would be ideal
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Your best option without the MPC is using the pencil tool in Cubase!

🎧 15 years
go with Pencil it in for more accurate sequence
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IS there any way to set this up in Logic? I know I could use the pencil, ...

🎧 15 years
The note repeat on a MPC is a great function which I really miss in software.
Drawing notes with a pencil is like programming a beat and using the note repeat is like playing a beat to me.
You sure can get the same results, but the experience of getting there is much more fun with the note repeat function.

🎧 15 years
dosen't the mpd thingy have a note repeat?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no, it doesnt.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft
no, it doesnt.
thats wack

🎧 15 years
that's why i said get the korg padkontrol! don't know if it supports changing quantization like the mpc's do, but it's def better than the MPD!

🎧 15 years
How does the note repeat function work on the padkontrol?
It needs to know the tempo of the sequencers, also is it possible to repeat notes with a certain amount of swing?

btw this function shouldn't be too hard to put in a midi plugin for cubase, there's way more sophisticated midi plugins for cubase right now.
Old 21st March 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss
The note repeat on a MPC is a great function which I really miss in software.
Drawing notes with a pencil is like programming a beat and using the note repeat is like playing a beat to me.
You sure can get the same results, but the experience of getting there is much more fun with the note repeat function.
why not buy an mpc then?

🎧 15 years
korg pad-kontrol looks cool..think IΒ΄m gonna sell my trigger finger for it.

but the best thing I did was getting a MPC 60 heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss
btw this function shouldn't be too hard to put in a midi plugin for cubase, there's way more sophisticated midi plugins for cubase right now.
yep, you can do i im sure. There are a ton of MIDI effects you can do in Cubase, I would be pretty suprised if note repeat wasn't one. I just don't really mind drawing in hats, since I have done that since my old school days of Acid Pro.
Old 1st April 2006

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRUNK

any ideas?

Here you go

Check the video,it not only have note repeat,but at had flam..

Check out the demo:
http://www.clicklive.com/KorgUSA/sni.../platform.html

Here's another one. He talks about the key controllers first though.
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2683
Old 1st April 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
That looks tight.
Old 2nd April 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Damn,
that roll function, is dope. that doesnt do note repeat, but its still mad useful.
thanks for that.
ILL
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Doesn't retrigger do the same thing ?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You could use the hyperedit window in logic for velocity sensitive rolls and hat lines.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Another thing you could do is it you have logic pro, use ultrabeats sequencer. Put in your hat line, then drag the midi file from ultrabeat to the arrange window. Reassign the instrument to whatever you use for drums, make sure it is on the correct note in the piano roll, and bam you have a sequnced hat line in battery (or whatever you use)

I do it like this if I dont feel like firing up the MPC. I think Ultrabeat has a great swing algorithm.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Damn,
that roll function, is dope. that doesnt do note repeat, but its still mad useful.
thanks for that.
It'll be nice if this had note repeat...

http://www.akaipro.com/prodMPD24.php

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I can't believe people are worried so much about the note repeat function.... There are so many ways to lay down repeated notes in Logic Pro...
Old 3rd April 2006 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I can't believe people are worried so much about the note repeat function.... There are so many ways to lay down repeated notes in Logic Pro...
Sure there is,not nothing beats the speed and easy to use factor as the mpc note repeat button.
Old 3rd April 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I JUST LIKE IT CAUSE YOU CAN HOLD NOTE REPEAT AND THEN SLIP IN )wo sorry( 1/32 triplets or whatever on any beat you want when you hear it... you dont have to draw and test or count out where it should go. just push when you want it.

I used to have my mpc2000xl set up to chase PT and logic and then I could use the note repeat, but for some reason I cant get it to work with the 4000. basically two sequencers would be running in parellel and I could use the note repeat to write into Logic, but now I am getting midi loops.
any one figure it out?
Old 7th April 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
I have owned MPC4000 and MPC2000xl and used an mpc1000. Ive sold all my hardware and am going all software.

I used logic pro 7.2 and am actively trying to produce an akai mpc note emulation. It is freakin hard! Akai really has this feature locked down, its on every one of their MPC since way back when, and even before the MPC.

I find it apalling that NO other company has EVER been able to mimic this feature.

I am studying the environment, and trying to create this masterpiece.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
with Ableton Live you can do this.

just set up your audio samples as clips,
and in the clips set launching to "retrigger", and set the clips quantize to whatever you want the repeat rate to be.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffason
I have owned MPC4000 and MPC2000xl and used an mpc1000. Ive sold all my hardware and am going all software.

I used logic pro 7.2 and am actively trying to produce an akai mpc note emulation. It is freakin hard! Akai really has this feature locked down, its on every one of their MPC since way back when, and even before the MPC.

I find it apalling that NO other company has EVER been able to mimic this feature.

I am studying the environment, and trying to create this masterpiece.
You've got 50 different ways you can do it just as fast or faster in Logic than in the MPC...

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax
why not buy an mpc then?
I have a MPC at my dispossal, but I prefer sequencing in Cubase and use Kontakt for sampling.

Btw I noticed there's a kontakt script which does note repeat. If you know how to manipulate kontakt scripts you can add swing to it too!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
To me it's just much more fun to have the sequencer looping a couple of bars and play the parts in.
But you sure can get the same results without it.
πŸ“ Reply