The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Auditioning Sample Libraries in Cubase
Old 14th November 2010
Deleted 0843dcb 🎙️
Auditioning Sample Libraries in Cubase

So I use Logic and FL Studio, and they both have easy ways to audition my percussion and sound sample libraries. FL studio just shows a folder in the browser bar that lets you just click to hear the sound, Logic has something similar with just a couple extra steps to get to the folder. I have recently acquired Cubase as a possible replacement for FL Studio, but I simply cannot figure out how to quickly audition my vast sample librarirs in Cubase on the fly. Is it possible? I'm not much for using FL as a VST in Cubase, because if that's the case I might as well just use FL Studio. I like everything else about Cubase, but this could be a deal breaker so please help!
Old 14th November 2010

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy ➡️
So I use Logic and FL Studio, and they both have easy ways to audition my percussion and sound sample libraries. FL studio just shows a folder in the browser bar that lets you just click to hear the sound, Logic has something similar with just a couple extra steps to get to the folder. I have recently acquired Cubase as a possible replacement for FL Studio, but I simply cannot figure out how to quickly audition my vast sample librarirs in Cubase on the fly. Is it possible? I'm not much for using FL as a VST in Cubase, because if that's the case I might as well just use FL Studio. I like everything else about Cubase, but this could be a deal breaker so please help!
Cubase 5 has the "Media Bay" where you can hear your samples. The thing is though, until 5.5 it doesn't even have a drum sampler type thing.

If you're going to compose in Cubase you're probably best off using something like Guru / Geist or Battery for your drums. I'm using Geist right now (Guru v2 basically), and you can easily audition / drag sounds via its internal browser.
Old 24th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cant you just rewire the FL studio and use both?

Also, I think you can audition stuff through Groove Agent, no?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
media bay is what you want here. takes a while to set up but its well worth it.

otherwise, file, import audio the click once on the name of the file will play the selected file. double clicking it will then import it to an audio file.

Cynic, Grooveagent 1 was included in cubase 5. ive stopped using battery since this came along thumbsup

🎧 10 years
I use the Groove Agent ONE. I think it´s a great sampler for my purposes. There are few things I hope they would improve. You cant drag and drop samples to a pad straight from the media bay. You have to drop it to an audio track first. And you can´t audition sounds through Groove Agent. You can only audition the preset banks. Another thing is that you can´t change the settings of multiple pads at once. If I want to create a mute group and chance the output routings I have to chance the settings one pad at a time. This is ridiculous. Other than that it´s great.

I usually load it up as a vst-instrument channel (not vst instrument track) so I can use multiple input midi-tracks and multiple outputs. I route my drums and all my samples through it. I especially like that I can have my drums on one midi-track but still route all the individually drum sounds on different outputs. Same thing with the non-drum sounds. Or I can have all the sounds on one midi-event block if I like and make it even more simple

🎧 10 years
I prefer creating drum loops in fl than importing them to cubase 5. I like the groove agent 1 for sampling it works great.
Old 25th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balalaikka ➡️
You cant drag and drop samples to a pad straight from the media bay. You have to drop it to an audio track first.
Sure you can.

Old 25th November 2010 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Thanks Lawrence!!!

I dont know where I got the impression that it was impossible to do... Maybe it was impossible in the older version... Anyways, this is a big time saver!
Old 10th May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
OK, so how would one audition a MIDI file in the Media Bay browser? thanx ?
📝 Reply