The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drake - Thank Me Later - They mixed it on headphones actually...?
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Drake - Thank Me Later - They mixed it on headphones actually...?

Wussup slutz,

the MTV documentary about Drake hit the net and I came across one part of it where his DJ/ mixing-engineer isn't ashamed to let a legendary mastering engineer over at STERLING wait, while he still has to mix songs inside his hotel room with the help of his laptop/ headphones...

...so that would mean, that he was mixing at least half of Drake's album on headphones inside a hotel room...while the mastering was allready in progress on the other half of it...

...or wait...did I get something wrong here...? heh

Here is the link to the video:
Drake Puts The Finishing Touches On Thank Me Later | News Video | MTV
Old 25th June 2010
FBE
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amokk ➑️
Wussup slutz,

the MTV documentary about Drake hit the net and I came across one part of it where his DJ/ mixing-engineer isn't ashamed to let a legendary mastering engineer over at STERLING wait, while he still has to mix songs inside his hotel room with the help of his laptop/ headphones...

...so that would mean, that he was mixing at least half of Drake's album on headphones inside a hotel room...while the mastering was allready in progress on the other half of it...

...or wait...did I get something wrong here...? heh

Here is the link to the video:
Drake Puts The Finishing Touches On Thank Me Later | News Video | MTV

its true. So far gone was all mixed through headphones too. There is a video of 40 mixing the song uptown with his AKG headphones plugged to his mac with a digibox running with protools. Noah is a beast he dont get enough credit i swear i want to be just like him
Old 25th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

...or wait...did I get something wrong here...?
..........Well call me synical but it's MTV right? So a little manufactured drama holds people's interest and might help sell a few more records. "Reality tv" contains often as much fiction as fact, the music business even more.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly ➑️
..........Well call me synical but it's MTV right? So a little manufactured drama holds people's interest and might help sell a few more records. "Reality tv" contains often as much fiction as fact, the music business even more.
Yeah butteryfly that's true just not in this instance. MTV's major market is not musicians and producers so there's no real benefit to them in staging something like that. Truth be told you'd be suprise how common this is now a days. I know of many major placements that were mixed on headphones or very low end speakers out of convenience.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There was a video blog on "Tha Bizness" website where Noah Shebib was in a hotel room finishing the mixes on So far gone in headphones I believe.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was going to make a post about this. Its more impressive to me that some of these songs might have been mixed using Pro Tools LE.

Lavish
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can be done. I have done it. Mixed an entire major label release thru headphones while on the road this year. You just have to know the shortcomings and adjust.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lavish ➑️
I was going to make a post about this. Its more impressive to me that some of these songs might have been mixed using Pro Tools LE.

Lavish
The difference betwee LE and HD when it comes to mixing is very minimal especially if you have access to the same plugins. Its really about your ears, good headphones, and technique. Nowadays especially for a mixtape it would be hard to tell if it was mixed using hardware, HD, LE, or whatever else.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwssoundz ➑️
The difference betwee LE and HD when it comes to mixing is very minimal especially if you have access to the same plugins.
Sonically, yes, you're absolutely right. Functionally, not even close.

You *could* mix a record and get the same results in LE, it would just take considerably more effort.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I believe it. I've mixed records on my iMacs speakers before. Did they sound good? Yes. Did it take forever and a day to get them sounding good? Double yes.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️

You *could* mix a record and get the same results in LE, it would just take considerably more effort.
Exactly why I said "mix" LOL. There is no comparison when it comes to recording and features.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gain staging is super hard, voire impossible to get right on headphones, earbuds...
Or you gotta have at least three kinds of headphones and make some arbitrage with the help of a reference track from my experience.

I guess he was just "finishing" the mix...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E ➑️
Gain staging is super hard, voire impossible to get right on headphones, earbuds...
Or you gotta have at least three kinds of headphones and make some arbitrage with the help of a reference track from my experience.

I guess he was just "finishing" the mix...
Now you can do it. It's not exact and it's not the right way to do it but it is being done and making it to major albums. Its really about the reference you have in your head and knowledge. Also at this point in the game especially with mp3's and the market it doesn't take as much to make something "Commercial".
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The difference betwee LE and HD when it comes to mixing is very minimal especially if you have access to the same plugins. Its really about your ears, good headphones, and technique. Nowadays especially for a mixtape it would be hard to tell if it was mixed using hardware, HD, LE, or whatever else.

I mix records all the time in LE (Home Rig). But, considering the deadlines they seemed to be up against I wud much rather have been working on a HD3 system if I was 40.

Lavish
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just a thought: Considering that this is a mixtape, how many tracks and things do you think that he really had to mix? Most of the actual instrumentals were probably two tracked and if its just his vocal on it then the backing vocals recorded are very minimal. Its not a rock album with a ton of tracks or a rnb cut with Brandy style backgrounds.

Just thinking what do you guys think?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Goes to show how the new technology is destroying the boundaries between studio and touring. It really is getting easier and easier to record and mix anywhere. Of course that means that the people most likely to be successful are those that can cope with the insane workload that results in. Like most progress, that's both a good and a bad thing. It means the people that rise to the top aren't the best producers, but those most able to turn it on whenever, wherever and turn every spare second or tedious several hour drive into another opportunity to work on songs.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just a thought: Considering that this is a mixtape, how many tracks and things do you think that he really had to mix?

Why do u say its a mixtape ? are we talking about the same project ?

Drake- Thank Me Later right ?

Lavish
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lavish ➑️
Why do u say its a mixtape ? are we talking about the same project ?

Drake- Thank Me Later right ?

Lavish
Thanks for the correction. As I'm typing I'm working and so the there was some crossover my bad. Thank me later is what I am referring to.

Also check out a Digidesign article and youtube videos of Just blaze talking about mixing with his laptop

Last edited by Dwssoundz; 25th June 2010 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: mispelled word
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Pretty sad when you think about it... I like the "it can be done" vibe that's going on here. But, how far we have fallen.

I came from a time (and it really wasn't that long ago) where anticipated records like this were mixed in real studios with incredible gear and proper acoustics. And, here we have them doing it on a headphones/ laptop setup in a hotel room (although, truthfully that is really the only way to mix in a hotel).

This just goes to show you that we will NEVER have records with the quality of those like Dr Dre's Chronic 2001. It's just never going to happen again, and it should be pretty depressing to everyone here. Gone are the 2" machines, big consoles and more outboard gear than anyone has ever seen in their life.... and the time to make things sound great.

It's being replaced with laptop's like the one I am typing this on, headphones, and unrealistic deadlines.

I would just like to leave you folks with some words of wisdom from Jimmy D. that seem fitting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Douglass
"The studio and the art of sound engineering used to represent a mysterious place with a big board and loads of equipment, and nobody could figure out how to work it. It was magic. But the digital technology has taken that mystery away. Today's engineer really has become a computer operator. Engineers are now librarians and technologists who keep track of digital audio files and bits before the sound is even considered. The creative side of things has moved away from the engineer, and towards the producer."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
The creative side of things has moved away from the engineer, and towards the producer.
I don't think that's a bad thing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Pretty sad when you think about it... I like the "it can be done" vibe that's going on here. But, how far we have fallen.

I came from a time (and it really wasn't that long ago) where anticipated records like this were mixed in real studios with incredible gear and proper acoustics. And, here we have them doing it on a headphones/ laptop setup in a hotel room (although, truthfully that is really the only way to mix in a hotel).

This just goes to show you that we will NEVER have records with the quality of those like Dr Dre's Chronic 2001. It's just never going to happen again, and it should be pretty depressing to everyone here. Gone are the 2" machines, big consoles and more outboard gear than anyone has ever seen in their life.... and the time to make things sound great.

It's being replaced with laptop's like the one I am typing this on, headphones, and unrealistic deadlines.

I would just like to leave you folks with some words of wisdom from Jimmy D. that seem fitting:
Agreed. The music business is becoming more and more business and less and less music. But because I'm apart of this business I have to adapt to the standards and norms that are presented. So if hot means mixed in headphones or staying under budget means not recording in a 1000 a day studio then I'm with it to stay working. But the magic album days like Chonic 2001, like thriller, the combinations of all those sonics and preamps and mics are pretty much gone unfortunately.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand ➑️
No. It's more than bad... it's horrible. To the detriment of the music.

The engineer should be the more responsible party for the creative aspects on the sonic side (let's add a delay to the synth, etc). While the producer should be concentrating on the whole picture more. It's the tandem and back and forth that makes the magic... as opposed to everything from one mind.

Quote:
But the magic album days like Chonic 2001, like thriller, the combinations of all those sonics and preamps and mics are pretty much gone unfortunately.
... and maybe the most important aspect... the people involved. That melting pot of minds that bring out the best in the music and the sonics.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand ➑️
I disagree. Think about all your top engineers how would they fair if they were producers and vice versa. The thing that makes the engineer/producer relationship work is that they are two distinct skillsets. (or at least should be) Some times the roles cross but as a writer/producer I don't want to know/nor have the time to know what an engineer knows. More importantly I value what an engineer knows and value the importance of an engineer when mixing. It doesn't mean that I don't have engineering skills as a producer but keeping the roles distinct keeps the magic and eliminates demoitis
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The engineer should be the more responsible party for the creative aspects on the sonic side (let's add a delay to the synth, etc). While the producer should be concentrating on the whole picture more. It's the tandem and back and forth that makes the magic... as opposed to everything from one mind.

... and maybe the most important aspect... the people involved. That melting pot of minds that bring out the best in the music and the sonics.
Agreeed!! Personnel is the most important element. All the equipment in the world and no know-how is just a waste.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I kind of feel you. But the lines that seperate engineers and producers get blurrier by the day. Now that SOOO many urban producers are using software programs like Logic, Ableton, and Pro tools they have access to "engineering" tools that they didnt have access to when they were sequencing on Mpc's and the like.

Engineers that i know are doing more and more Arrangement and vocal production. Hell, being a engineer that has production skillsets will get u called back faster. I've experienced it.

Its still a melting pot, the roles are just shifting to more versatile designations.

Lavish
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️

Not true. There are too many variables to quantify that. What version of LE? The 32 track version PT7? The 48 track version PT8? The complete Production Toolkit Version 8 with 128 tracks and busses? How many tracks are in the song? How many busses do you need for the song your mixing? And what about HD? HD1? HD2? HD3? Using outboard gear?

In some cases, yes it would take longer. Especially with outboard gear. But I've mixed plenty of records in LE that wouldn't take any less time in HD and vice versa. And the delay comp thing takes takes minimal time for me to do in LE. A couple minutes tops. So to simply say "it would just take considerably more effort." isn't true. It just depends.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tony is right, gone are the days of big budget mixing. Now people have to wear a lot of hats to survive. Plug-ins also helped send big studios to the grave as well.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➑️
Not true. There are too many variables to quantify that. What version of LE? The 32 track version PT7? The 48 track version PT8? The complete Production Toolkit Version 8 with 128 tracks and busses? How many tracks are in the song? How many busses do you need for the song your mixing? And what about HD? HD1? HD2? HD3? Using outboard gear?

In some cases, yes it would take longer. Especially with outboard gear. But I've mixed plenty of records in LE that wouldn't take any less time in HD and vice versa. And the delay comp thing takes takes minimal time for me to do in LE. A couple minutes tops. So to simply say "it would just take considerably more effort." isn't true. It just depends.
I would love to see a big mix with 70 or so plugins and tons of busses going (each needing delay compensation, etc). I can do it in Logic no problem... But, LE is a pain.

I think at some point Digidesign/ Avid will solve this and it will be a non issue, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would love to see a big mix with 70 or so plugins and tons of busses going (each needing delay compensation, etc). I can do it in Logic no problem... But, LE is a pain.

I think at some point Digidesign/ Avid will solve this and it will be a non issue, though.
Templates help a ton to ease the process. But yeah, I would love at least 64 busses in the standard version of LE.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
"The studio and the art of sound engineering used to represent a mysterious place with a big board and loads of equipment, and nobody could figure out how to work it. It was magic.
...and with all due respect to Tony and Jimmy, but this is part of the reason why quality has slipped in the last 10 years...trying to make music an elitist "sport"...keep blue collared talented people out of the loop for so long and they'll find a way in, whether its done right or not...eventually, with time, the new cream of the crop will emerge and we will see a change for the good...Some of these A/holes used to make more on 1 track than a doctor would for surgery, its no wonder why it used to be so hard to get any information out of anybody if you werent able 2 throw alot of cash around...its a good thing that this information is more available and we can do what we can do in a "bedroom" studio...give it time...x...
Closed