Drop It Like It's Distorted? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drop It Like It's Distorted?
Old 22nd November 2005
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Drop It Like It's Distorted?

Quick Q peeps.

Sorry if it's been discussed b4, I searched but couldn't find a thread relevant.

The Neptunes / Snoop "Drop It Like It's Hot" joint - anyone notice the distortion in the synth brass stab part?

I gots the CD single and imported into iTunes and sounds horrid bad during that little turn-around. Thought it must have been an error on import (somehow?) but then I just saw the clip on MTV and it distorted there as well!

Am I losing it?
Old 22nd November 2005

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mox
Quick Q peeps.

Sorry if it's been discussed b4, I searched but couldn't find a thread relevant.

The Neptunes / Snoop "Drop It Like It's Hot" joint - anyone notice the distortion in the synth brass stab part?

I gots the CD single and imported into iTunes and sounds horrid bad during that little turn-around. Thought it must have been an error on import (somehow?) but then I just saw the clip on MTV and it distorted there as well!

Am I losing it?
It's a synth, it probably had noise added to it as part of the patch. sounds fine to me though.
Old 22nd November 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds like it's clippin' majorly to me...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mox
Sounds like it's clippin' majorly to me...
I guess the moral of the story is that a little clippin' has never stopped a hit record from selling.
Old 22nd November 2005
Dos
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mox
Quick Q peeps.

Am I losing it?
THis happens in a lot more commercial releases then you'd expect. I remember hearing an awful digital clip in a britney spears track. When you're driving everything as hard as they do in pop today it doesn't surprise me at all that a few too many 1s creep through and end up audible. It is sloppy tho.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I remember that too.

I'm 90% sure it was the "Me Against The Music" joint.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not hating - If I could have 1% of the Neptunes fame and fortune I'd be happy.

So easy for me to pick one, tiny, miniscule moment in time to brandish! - that was certainly not my intention, I was curious at whether I was hearing right.

Guess I was...
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Distortion? The keyboard used was a Juno 106. You're just hearing a real analog synth.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
U know.I dont think I listened properly to that synth part.I couldnt stand the track before when it came out, and still cant.Now thinking bout it.......that was the start of the downward trend in clones such as "Wait (the whisper song)".But maybe I'll just then listen to that synth part again.I did notice though, the first time that it did sound the way u mentioned, but I forgot bout it.Btw, thats the only part of the song I like.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Distortion or rich in harmonics?

The track "Family Affair" by Mary J and Dr. Dre also sounds saturated to me..
"Let's get it crunk....."

Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
A better description would be digital clipping.

When I play it (even at low volumes) it sounds like the meters are in way in the red during that part.

I (personally) wouldn't say rich in harmonics, paultools. Then again, you may be right...

Let me know what you think Maddstone.

Hmmmmm.
Old 23rd November 2005 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mox
A better description would be digital clipping.

When I play it (even at low volumes) it sounds like the meters are in way in the red during that part.

I (personally) wouldn't say rich in harmonics, paultools. Then again, you may be right...

Let me know what you think Maddstone.

Hmmmmm.
So, I actually sat down and listened on my monitors in my studio.

I don't hear any digital clipping.... It's just the sound of the synth!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
lol........man once you really got into recording and mixing, you'll gonna' hear lots of "MISSED STUFF" that made it on records. One some commerical releases, I have heard db drops in songs........dont know if it was in mastering or in cd Pressing.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
So, I actually sat down and listened on my monitors in my studio.

I don't hear any digital clipping.... It's just the sound of the synth!
You know what? After reading some posts here and listening again (and again) it may very well be the synth.

OK then, NEW THREAD - "WHO THINK's THE SYNTH BRASS STAB IN DROP IT LIKE IT's HOT SOUNDS LIKE ****E?"

I'll move on now I think...
Old 25th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mox
You know what? After reading some posts here and listening again (and again) it may very well be the synth.

OK then, NEW THREAD - "WHO THINK's THE SYNTH BRASS STAB IN DROP IT LIKE IT's HOT SOUNDS LIKE ****E?"

I'll move on now I think...
Who Played This Instrument?
808 State, Alien Sex Fiend, Apollo 440, Art of Trance, Autechre, Bass-O-Matic, Beautiful People, Big Beat Combo, Bioshpere, Blame - England's sidekick to ltj bukem, Paul Bliss, Brothers in Rhythm, David Bryan, Burn Cycle Rv. 2, Cabaret Voltaire, Danny Chang, Chemical Brothers, The Christians, Dave Clayton, Crystal Method, Daft Punk, D.A.V.E., DDR, Depeche Mode, DNA, D.Ream, The Drummer, Dr. Nner, Dune, E.Naive, Eat Static, Electronic, Electronic Dream Planet, EMF, Eskimos & Egypt, Extra Extra, Fatboy Slim, Frank Chickens, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Pascal Gabriel of S'Express, Laurent Garnier, Philip Glass Ensemble, Global Communications, The Grid, Human League, Rob Hyman of Hooters, Incognito, Inner City, Infected Mushroom, It BItes, Izit, Jean-Michel Jarre, Jesus Jones, Joy Electric, Nabil Hawa, Kenny Larkin, Leftfield, Sean Lennon, David Lewis, Chris Liberator, Locust, Willard E. Love, Guy McAffer, Man Machine, Mansun, Men's Recovery Project - album "Frank Talk About Humans", George Michael, Moby, Motiv8, Chris Newman, Pulp, William Orbit, The Other Two, Oznic Tentacles, Mauricio Paredes, Pet Shop Boys - for song "very", Rob Playford, Andrew Poppy, The Prodigy, Q, Reel 2 Reel, Rowland The Bastard, Sabres of Paradise, Riuichi Sakamoto, Kevin Saunderson, Patrick Seymour of Eurthymics, Shamen, Mark Shreeve, Tim Simenon of Bomb the Bass, Soul Oddity, Sub Sub, Mick Talbot of Style Council, Tangerine Dream, Terra Ferma, David Toop, Mark Tyler, Underworld, Union Jack, Vangelis, Youth
The Juno-106 is one of the most loved and used synthesizers by professionals and hobbyists alike! William Ørbit, Uberzone, Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim), Autechre, BT, Vince Clarke, Moby, 808 State, Underworld, Leftfield, Fluke, Josh Wink, Todd Terry, Depeche Mode, Eat Static, Biosphere, The Prodigy, The Shamen, Bushflange, Cirrus, Astral Projection, Apollo 440, Faithless, Union Jack, Computer Controlled, Pet Shop Boys, Sneaker Pimps, Erasure, Freddy Fresh, Rabbit in the Moon, Laurent Garnier, and the Chemical Brothers have used this synth extensively!

Also..........
Chad Hugo of The Neptunes on "Drop It Like It's Hot"!!
C'mon Mox. Do you think all these guys think it sounds like "****e"?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalflow
I didn't say the 106 sounded like ****e.

That's what your reply was referring to however, wasn't it? In 'defence' of the 106.

That wasn't my point.

Makes no difference whether it was a Juno 106 or CZ 101. You can still have a beautiful synth like a 106 and still manage to make it sound horrible.

At the point, in that song, on that track - that brass synth stab sound sounded horrible to me. At first I wondered if it was distorted, or clipping. Then I entertained the fact that it may actually be the synth sound itself.

Do YOU think it sounds good? Whenever I play it, I (still) look at my meters to see that they're not in the red...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That synth sound doesn't sound like a Juno 106 to me at all. Are you sure about that? Is there some interview where they said that? I've owned Juno 106's before and know how to program them inside out, it's not a Juno-like sound to me.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
That synth sound doesn't sound like a Juno 106 to me at all. Are you sure about that? Is there some interview where they said that? I've owned Juno 106's before and know how to program them inside out, it's not a Juno-like sound to me.
It's without a doubt a Juno-106!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Trust me.. It is. I tracked it. BTW C Heat... I think it sounds great!
Dos
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Who Played This Instrument?
808 State, Alien Sex Fiend, Apollo 440, Art of Trance, Autechre, Bass-O-Matic, Beautiful People, Big Beat Combo, Bioshpere, Blame - England's sidekick to ltj bukem, Paul Bliss, Brothers in Rhythm, David Bryan, Burn Cycle Rv. 2, Cabaret Voltaire, Danny Chang, Chemical Brothers, The Christians, Dave Clayton, Crystal Method, Daft Punk, D.A.V.E., DDR, Depeche Mode, DNA, D.Ream, The Drummer, Dr. Nner, Dune, E.Naive, Eat Static, Electronic, Electronic Dream Planet, EMF, Eskimos & Egypt, Extra Extra, Fatboy Slim, Frank Chickens, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Pascal Gabriel of S'Express, Laurent Garnier, Philip Glass Ensemble, Global Communications, The Grid, Human League, Rob Hyman of Hooters, Incognito, Inner City, Infected Mushroom, It BItes, Izit, Jean-Michel Jarre, Jesus Jones, Joy Electric, Nabil Hawa, Kenny Larkin, Leftfield, Sean Lennon, David Lewis, Chris Liberator, Locust, Willard E. Love, Guy McAffer, Man Machine, Mansun, Men's Recovery Project - album "Frank Talk About Humans", George Michael, Moby, Motiv8, Chris Newman, Pulp, William Orbit, The Other Two, Oznic Tentacles, Mauricio Paredes, Pet Shop Boys - for song "very", Rob Playford, Andrew Poppy, The Prodigy, Q, Reel 2 Reel, Rowland The Bastard, Sabres of Paradise, Riuichi Sakamoto, Kevin Saunderson, Patrick Seymour of Eurthymics, Shamen, Mark Shreeve, Tim Simenon of Bomb the Bass, Soul Oddity, Sub Sub, Mick Talbot of Style Council, Tangerine Dream, Terra Ferma, David Toop, Mark Tyler, Underworld, Union Jack, Vangelis, Youth
The Juno-106 is one of the most loved and used synthesizers by professionals and hobbyists alike! William Ørbit, Uberzone, Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim), Autechre, BT, Vince Clarke, Moby, 808 State, Underworld, Leftfield, Fluke, Josh Wink, Todd Terry, Depeche Mode, Eat Static, Biosphere, The Prodigy, The Shamen, Bushflange, Cirrus, Astral Projection, Apollo 440, Faithless, Union Jack, Computer Controlled, Pet Shop Boys, Sneaker Pimps, Erasure, Freddy Fresh, Rabbit in the Moon, Laurent Garnier, and the Chemical Brothers have used this synth extensively!

Also..........
Chad Hugo of The Neptunes on "Drop It Like It's Hot"!!

This is a ridiculous statement to make.
It's like saying you heard a **** guitar sound and then listing everyone who plays a guiitar and saying that they are **** aswell!
Did you actually go to the trouble of looking this information up and typing it all out???
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos
This is a ridiculous statement to make.
It's like saying you heard a **** guitar sound and then listing everyone who plays a guiitar and saying that they are **** aswell!
Did you actually go to the trouble of looking this information up and typing it all out???
Huh?! No I did'nt type it out. Type in "Juno" on your browser and you'll get the same results. What the fu&$ is your problem? I'm trying to set the record straight.... Relax
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Dos
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm trying to set the record straight.... Relax
The record would have been straighter if you'd tracked it properly haha

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos
The record would have been straighter if you'd tracked it properly haha
You're out of line... Post up some platinum selling stuff that you've tracked, or shut the **** up!
Closed