Dbx 160 A = dope - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dbx 160 A = dope
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Dbx 160 A = dope

I just bought a DBX 160 A for about 100 usd. Till now I`ve been tracking thru a Great River MP2 NV and an API 2500. i`m mixing a project with badly recorded vocals ( as usual) and all the rap vocal tracks that I put thru the DBX 160 A, just sits so well in the mix , no mess no fuss . The client is very happy. It`s just seems to be the RIGHT sound for rap.

Was holding out for a 160 X. But i figured the mic, preamp and room I record in has more impact on the sound than the differance between a 160 A and the 160 X. I`m really pleased .
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel ➑️
I just bought a DBX 160 A for about 100 usd. Till now I`ve been tracking thru a Great River MP2 NV and an API 2500. i`m mixing a project with badly recorded vocals ( as usual) and all the rap vocal tracks that I put thru the DBX 160 A, just sits so well in the mix , no mess no fuss . The client is very happy. It`s just seems to be the RIGHT sound for rap.

Was holding out for a 160 X. But i figured the mic, preamp and room I record in has more impact on the sound than the differance between a 160 A and the 160 X. I`m really pleased .
What,in your opinion makes it "dope"??
Old 13th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the 160 works really good for some applications, we had a pair in the first studio i worked in, and we used them all the time when we needed more punch and shorter times than the old tube gear could provide.
It's a very straightforward unit and perfect to put rap vocals "in your face".
It's far from being really "high end" but it's a very good "all-rounder" tool.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
What,in your opinion makes it "dope"??
For me, maybe it` a nostalgic sound that I recognize. Not a clean clear sound, but that sound that you would hear on golden era rap tracks. It allows the vocal to punch thru a full mix.

Haven`t spent a LOT of time with it. But i did notice that switching between hard knee on over-easy compression on different types of mixes allowed me to blend the vocals without having to raise the vocal above the beat. I do this with the API 2500 as well , and that`s a $2500 compressor.

Don`t YOU think that`s dope. It`s inexpensive and works damned well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For me, maybe it` a nostalgic sound that I recognize. Not a clean clear sound, but that sound that you would hear on golden era rap tracks. It allows the vocal to punch thru a full mix.

Haven`t spent a LOT of time with it. But i did notice that switching between hard knee on over-easy compression on different types of mixes allowed me to blend the vocals without having to raise the vocal above the beat. I do this with the API 2500 as well , and that`s a $2500 compressor.

Don`t YOU think that`s dope. It`s inexpensive and works damned well.
I suppose that in that context,it would be considered as being "dope".
However,in the real world of us pro engineers and producers,we wouldnt use that term when making reference to our gear .
For a "beat",yes...but not for our gear.
Is an SSL9000J a dope console?
Is an original Fairchild limiter dope?
An Mpc MIGHT be considered to be a dope sequencer within the context of hip hop.
Just sayin'.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I suppose that in that context,it would be considered as being "dope".
However,in the real world of us pro engineers and producers,we wouldnt use that term when making reference to our gear .
For a "beat",yes...but not for our gear.
Is an SSL9000J a dope console?
Is an original Fairchild limiter dope?
An Mpc MIGHT be considered to be a dope sequencer within the context of hip hop.
Just sayin'.
I`m from the hip hop culture . In my country (South Africa) I`m considered a pioneer of Hip Hop. From breakdancing to music production. So I don`t just engineer the music. It`s a culture that I like many all over the world are part of. So, when in the Rap + Hip Hop forum, when I say something is "dope", I`m aproaching the language with a hip hop aesthetic. I don`t know how a PRO is supposed to refer to gear , but to my worldwide hip hop soldiers, I`m sure they know what I mean when I say that M&(^) F)%$ DBX IS DOPE!

By the way I think SSL and Fairchild is DOPE!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Caramel; 13th January 2010 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I`m from the hip hop culture . In my country (South Africa) I`m considered a pioneer of Hip Hop. From breakdancing to music production. So I don`t just engineer the music. It`s a culture that I like many all over the world are part of. So, when in the Rap + Hip Hop forum, when I say something is "dope", I`m aproaching the language with a hip hop aesthetic. I don`t know how a PRO is supposed to refer to gear , but to my worldwide hip hop soldiers, I`m sure they know what I mean when I say that M&(^) F)%$ DBX IS DOPE!
I understand all of that,of course.
I record(and produce) various rap/hip hop projects and of course I use the lingo where applicable.
But I also produce and engineer mostly sessions by professional and very talented artists in all genres.
So having said that,I would never use so called street lingo when working with say,a country artist,a jazz artist,a pop artist...you get the picture.
If someone like barbr treisand forinstance came into my studio to record,I would never ever use that kind of lingo as its not very professional.
im uhakika kuwa unaweza kuelewa hili
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I understand all of that,of course.
I record(and produce) various rap/hip hop projects and of course I use the lingo where applicable.
But I also produce and engineer mostly sessions by professional and very talented artists in all genres.
So having said that,I would never use so called street lingo when working with say,a country artist,a jazz artist,a pop artist...you get the picture.
If someone like barbr treisand forinstance came into my studio to record,I would never ever use that kind of lingo as its not very professional.
im uhakika kuwa unaweza kuelewa hili
I do understand your point. But we ARE in the RAP + Hip Hop forum. And I really don`t think that when, what you call "Street Lingo" is used in a studio when say, DR DRE is working with Ice Cube ,its considered unprofessional.

By the way, I think Barbera is DOPE ..and I`d tell her if I saw her. HA HA

Seriously, I`m in Cape Town , South Africa .Apartheid left us isolated for years so we don`t have a huge industry .with a history of recording excellence. It was reseved for the privaliged few..There are maybe 2 SSL desks in the country ( Both owned by the government). and 1 API 1608 .( not yet purchased) NO fairchilds, NO Manleys that I know of . 1176 I can count on one hand. I own 1 of 2 API 2500 in the country. (I think) And though there is a growing number of people dedicated to recording excellence . Almost NONE in the HIP HOP genre .

So, It is a privilage for me to be able to share and learn from everybody on GS. And when I come across a DBX 160 A which enables one to achieve a good result and would be in the reach of others who will never see an SSL, I`m just so enthusiastic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
dope = good. I don't understand how that's so hard to.... understand.
Old 14th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do understand your point. But we ARE in the RAP + Hip Hop forum. And I really don`t think that when, what you call "Street Lingo" is used in a studio when say, DR DRE is working with Ice Cube ,its considered unprofessional.

By the way, I think Barbera is DOPE ..and I`d tell her if I saw her. HA HA

Seriously, I`m in Cape Town , South Africa .Apartheid left us isolated for years so we don`t have a huge industry .with a history of recording excellence. It was reseved for the privaliged few..There are maybe 2 SSL desks in the country ( Both owned by the government). and 1 API 1608 .( not yet purchased) NO fairchilds, NO Manleys that I know of . 1176 I can count on one hand. I own 1 of 2 API 2500 in the country. (I think) And though there is a growing number of people dedicated to recording excellence . Almost NONE in the HIP HOP genre .

So, It is a privilage for me to be able to share and learn from everybody on GS. And when I come across a DBX 160 A which enables one to achieve a good result and would be in the reach of others who will never see an SSL, I`m just so enthusiastic.
There used to be a studio ,I believe in Botswana(not sure) where the control room went down to 10hz!!
Old 14th January 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My Great River ME-1NV = ultimate dope and I ain't half steppin'! Seriously I am looking for a decent compressor for tracking vocals and it's great to hear other opinions on the DBX 160. A friend of mine is closing his project studio and has a few DBX compressors sitting there collecting dust...... I better give him a call right now.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For that price its worth having around. I guess with overeasy depressed and a low ratio it won't massacre a vocal track. Not my first choice for vocals but not my last. I personally prefer having more control over attack and release. Its bread and butter is drums though!!! Run a snare thru that bad boy for its true colors. I just find that vocals are far to dynamic and you end up either using to little or too much with a compressor like the 160a, but to each his own. At $100 I would probably snag one.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
There used to be a studio ,I believe in Botswana(not sure) where the control room went down to 10hz!!
I think your talking about BOP studios in Boputatswana. A dummy country(homeland) set up by the South African government. Ran by by a puppet leader.

The Studio was ridiculous . It was built with millions stolen from the pension funds of the Boputatswana people. It was a HUGE COMPLEX . Three rooms . 1 room was an 80 channel SSL 400 g . The other room was one of the rare Focusrite /Neve consoles and another SSL mix room. It was one of the 4 biggest in the world in the early 90`s . It was an attempt to attract the big artist of the world to come and record in Africa at the worlds best studio. So it had ALL the ammenities swimming pools, resturants , accomodation. 5 star stuff. But the word got out about the money been stolen from the people to build it so there was a boycott of the studios.

Over the years, the studio fell into a bad state .lots of stuff stolen. Gear not maintained. So now the homeland is no more and its owned by the South African government.No one know what to do with itl (well I do). POLITICS. Its remote location makes it useless to most people.

So yeah, that studios rooms were supposed to be the best in the world. Ridiculous budget was spent on a white elephant.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think your talking about BOP studios in Boputatswana. A dummy country(homeland) set up by the South African government. Ran by by a puppet leader.

The Studio was ridiculous . It was built with millions stolen from the pension funds of the Boputatswana people. It was a HUGE COMPLEX . Three rooms . 1 room was an 80 channel SSL 400 g . The other room was one of the rare Focusrite /Neve consoles and another SSL mix room. It was one of the 4 biggest in the world in the early 90`s . It was an attempt to attract the big artist of the world to come and record in Africa at the worlds best studio. So it had ALL the ammenities swimming pools, resturants , accomodation. 5 star stuff. But the word got out about the money been stolen from the people to build it so there was a boycott of the studios.

Over the years, the studio fell into a bad state .lots of stuff stolen. Gear not maintained. So now the homeland is no more and its owned by the South African government.No one know what to do with itl (well I do). POLITICS. Its remote location makes it useless to most people.

So yeah, that studios rooms were supposed to be the best in the world. Ridiculous budget was spent on a white elephant.
Yes..that was the one.
I have often wondered what happened to it.
I had NO idea that there was dirty money involved.
So sad,indeed.
Lives for gear

so
Quote:
pro engineers and producers
aren't allowed to call gear 'dope'?

alright..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So I can't get a dope new microphone.

But I can have a dope new beat.

I can't have a dope studio,

but I can have dope artists?

If I got some really good drugs, can I have dope dope?

yea.... dope = good, always been my understanding
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop24360 ➑️
So I can't get a dope new microphone.

But I can have a dope new beat.

I can't have a dope studio,

but I can have dope artists?

If I got some really good drugs, can I have dope dope?

yea.... dope = good, always been my understanding
Of course it can all be dope.
However, from a purely professional point of view,its a very juvenile and ascenine term not used outside of the hip hop/urban landscape and kind of passe.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
OMG!!!!

Quote:
Of course it can all be dope.
However, from a purely professional point of view,its a very juvenile and ascenine term not used outside of the hip hop/urban landscape and kind of passe.
WHO GIVES A RATS A!%# what word the person uses .... we get the point and respect it, but it has nothing to do with a 160a.

I for one think the 160a is DOPE, AWESOME,FANTASTIC,SUPER,GROOVEY,etc. ecsp. for hip hop.
Most pro studios have more than one 160 laying around. Its has a sound to it. maybe not HIGH END but it has a nice roundness and grit to it that most people do like.

My go to chain for hip hop latley has been sm7b----> API 512-----> 160a works for most male rappers and sounds good. sits well in the mix. I use it for main vox. I do not use either mic or 160 for ad libs/stacks etc cause its gets to muddy after a while. The 160 is great on snares and bass as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by organik ➑️
WHO GIVES A RATS A!%# what word the person uses .... we get the point and respect it, but it has nothing to do with a 160a.

I for one think the 160a is DOPE, AWESOME,FANTASTIC,SUPER,GROOVEY,etc. ecsp. for hip hop.
Most pro studios have more than one 160 laying around. Its has a sound to it. maybe not HIGH END but it has a nice roundness and grit to it that most people do like.

My go to chain for hip hop latley has been sm7b----> API 512-----> 160a works for most male rappers and sounds good. sits well in the mix. I use it for main vox. I do not use either mic or 160 for ad libs/stacks etc cause its gets to muddy after a while. The 160 is great on snares and bass as well.
Why are you so ****ing sensitive,bro??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my dad used to bring back tapes of the rap group 'prophets of the city' or 'p.o.c.' in and around '90. those were really def times...i mean dope...i mean radical dude like totally tubular!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
really?

Quote:
Why are you so ****ing sensitive,bro??
LOL seriously man ? not sensative at all. Its just really anoying when you come on a thread in leiu of talking about the use of a 160a on hip hop tracks and i gotta scroll through 10 posts of someone crapping on someone over use of a slang term rather than discuss the OP's post.

Its about gear not english 101
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Getting back on topic, and back to real hip hop.

I personally used the 160A to cut almost the whole "It'sDak And Hell Is Hot" album with Earl, DMX....

well that and a few other things....

I dont like to brag but you hit a soft spot on that one. I usually dont tell my real secrets but since yall brought it up.

That and drawmer products were the most used for hip hop in the late 80's early 90's's.

it was also good on kicks and snares in mixdowns too...

just a FACT from a Dope HIP HOP producer/engineer.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo ➑️
my dad used to bring back tapes of the rap group 'prophets of the city' or 'p.o.c.' in and around '90. those were really def times...i mean dope...i mean radical dude like totally tubular!
Yeah ,I produced quite a few tracks on the Prophets of the City-Age of Truth Album. Some tracks got in hot water with the Apartheid government and others won some video awards in Germany ,I think. Anyway my hand was on that album. Not the best vocaly, but it had its place at the time.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice ➑️
Getting back on topic, and back to real hip hop.

I personally used the 160A to cut almost the whole "It'sDak And Hell Is Hot" album with Earl, DMX....

well that and a few other things....

I dont like to brag but you hit a soft spot on that one. I usually dont tell my real secrets but since yall brought it up.

That and drawmer products were the most used for hip hop in the late 80's early 90's's.

it was also good on kicks and snares in mixdowns too...

just a FACT from a Dope HIP HOP producer/engineer.
Thanks for the DOPE info. ! It def has some magic mojo for hip hop. It just works. Since your sharing tricks. I like compress the hell outta vox and turn the input gain up for a subtle distortion effect sometimes. That works very well with the 160a
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Dbx 160 a

Let me say again. ALL you hip hop guys. No matter what your aspirations are for aquiring Gear to record raps. don`t wait as long as I did to discover the good ol` DBX 160 A . There are a lot better comps, but for rap , it`s gonna work out better than a lot of high end stuff.

It sounds like old Wu tang. Old Primo. D+D had a bunch of them so they are all over those classic new york rap tracks.
I likey da grimey!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Let me say again. ALL you hip hop guys. No matter what your aspirations are for aquiring Gear to record raps. don`t wait as long as I did to discover the good ol` DBX 160 A . There are a lot better comps, but for rap , it`s gonna work out better than a lot of high end stuff.

It sounds like old Wu tang. Old Primo. D+D had a bunch of them so they are all over those classic new york rap tracks.
I likey da grimey!

LOL will take a 160 any day over a sterile avalon..why does evryone in hip hop own one of those again ?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by organik ➑️
LOL will take a 160 any day over a sterile avalon..why does evryone in hip hop own one of those again ?
Man, I really wanted an Avalon. It looks so cool. Chunky and shiny (maybe thats why guys use it. It reminds them of their Jeep.) When I heard it , it didn`t blow me away. the pre was lighlty better than my Behringer tube pre (with better tubes) . Same with the millenia STT. Too transparent. Summit was cool. But I like the 160 . I feel it more than I hear it. Feels right.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Man, I really wanted an Avalon. It looks so cool. Chunky and shiny (maybe thats why guys use it. It reminds them of their Jeep.) When I heard it , it didn`t blow me away. the pre was lighlty better than my Behringer tube pre (with better tubes) . Same with the millenia STT. Too transparent. Summit was cool. But I like the 160 . I feel it more than I hear it. Feels right.
Yeah i agree man, avalon was all hype and everyone jumped on it. I was having this discussion a few months ago at sabella studios. Granted they have joey ramones neve console and a million pultecs he had one lonley avalon. I asked why do you own that LOL with a neve console with 311105 pres or whatever the numbers are....he sd that pre sux i had it because all my hip hop clients ask for it..he sd if its lucky its used on under snare mic LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
shhh(prices are rising!). hey what about the ashly sc-50 for hip-hop. same release era(mid 80's) and price range/cult status. mostly guitar players like them it seems.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo ➑️
shhh(prices are rising!). hey what about the ashly sc-50 for hip-hop. same release era(mid 80's) and price range/cult status. mostly guitar players like them it seems.
I never tried any ashley products, But there def is a lot of fans of their stuff. I heard a para eq used on dist gtr tracks one i think...it sounded good for shaping. They are cheap enough now to just cop one and try it.
I will say this though, the best comp i ever heard on any vocals was a STA-level origonal one not the re-issues. That is the DOPEST comp ive ever heard.
Closed