The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what CANT adobe audition do?
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
what CANT adobe audition do?

whats going on gs. i use ad
obe audition 3 as my daw (fl studio as sequencer) ive found that i pretty much have a solid grasp on how to use AA to its full potential. Now i know alot of guys will say the program doesnt make the music and use what works best for you. i will say i am very comfortable with adobe but i wonder sometimes when i start to develop a bigger clintel am i shooting myself in the foot using dare i say a 'limited daw' if there is such a thing? i feel like i get the results i want and my workflow is pretty efficent but is there something im limiting myself too because im not working on a pro tools rig? whats can i do in PT that isnt avaliable to me in AA? Im talking about PT in specific because all the major studios in my local area run on PT and i feel like compatiblility wise that would be my best choice. is there something PT m powered can offer me that im limiting myself too in AA and just not knowing it because ive never really tried to learn
another daw?
Old 30th November 2009

🎧 15 years
Does AA actually let you set a bar/beat grid yet? it never used to...which would be a deal breaker for most people.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Does AA actually let you set a bar/beat grid yet? it never used to...which would be a deal breaker for most people.
Yeah it does actually, you need to right click on the time counter in the multitrack session and then choose Bar/Beats.

Hope this helps for other people.

I work with FL/Adobe here, no problems, works like a charm! Clients are happy, so am I.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Timewarp, which can be really important for remixing and dealing with loops with different tempos. It does time stretch, but nothing beats the accuracy of a warp marker (ableton, cubase, sonar).

Other then that, its a great program...like beyond great. Theres a video for it online by ASK or Groove3, that really broke it down. And it does so much, a great value for pc users for sure.

As far as creating work, i dunno, didnt dig that deep into it..i know it does midi, but not sure to what detail.

Its edit to multi track alone, is worth it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If Adobe wanted, with a few tweaks and additions, Audition could be the PERFECT daw! As far as limitations...I only found it (Very) lacking in the midi department but since you use FLS you have that covered. You could just bounce your projects down and provide a pro tools project very easily.
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Yeah it does actually, you need to right click on the time counter in the multitrack session and then choose Bar/Beats.

Hope this helps for other people.

I work with FL/Adobe here, no problems, works like a charm! Clients are happy, so am I.
..it's been a long time since I've used it, it would have been a surprise if they'd not sorted that out by now.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
..it's been a long time since I've used it, it would have been a surprise if they'd not sorted that out by now.
I remember, it was 3 years ago, someone showed me the beat grid section... All this time I was guessing, oh my! Thank god I didn't have paying clients.

I think Elastic audio would be great for Adobe, and a better Midi integration too, but all in all, I only track vox, external synths, guitars, bass etc in it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cut checks. Make dinner.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by statixx ➑️
whats going on gs. i use ad
obe audition 3 as my daw (fl studio as sequencer) ive found that i pretty much have a solid grasp on how to use AA to its full potential. Now i know alot of guys will say the program doesnt make the music and use what works best for you. i will say i am very comfortable with adobe but i wonder sometimes when i start to develop a bigger clintel am i shooting myself in the foot using dare i say a 'limited daw' if there is such a thing? i feel like i get the results i want and my workflow is pretty efficent but is there something im limiting myself too because im not working on a pro tools rig? whats can i do in PT that isnt avaliable to me in AA? Im talking about PT in specific because all the major studios in my local area run on PT and i feel like compatiblility wise that would be my best choice. is there something PT m powered can offer me that im limiting myself too in AA and just not knowing it because ive never really tried to learn
another daw?
What is cannot do is guarantee a hit record.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It can't talk to my control surfaces

It's supposed to have Mackie HUI support but it sucks. I can only do basic fader rides, but after that, none of the functions on the lexan display work. I also don't like the "previewing" of effects in Edit mode, I'd like to see better real time support of effects.

The window that wraps around the effects in multitrack mode is a bit crazy, but it is cool in the sense that you have a wet/dry feature for any effect you load.

It also doesn't talk to my Novation Nocturn, and that works great with PTLE and both of my Mackie control surfaces. To be honest though, even if it did talk to these the same way PT does, there are still some things that I don't like that I'm able to do on PT with more ease. I do like how easy it is to create busses and route tracks, but PT is an easier interface to work with and that's better for me in the long term.

At least it doesn't look like the interface of a space ship, like Cubase.
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Audition is awesome. Nope, I dont do any midi work in it so thats one reason I love it so much. Nor does it interact with my M-Audio board but out of the many, many DAW's it seems ive tried, I always kept firing up Audition and have stuck with it. The music on my pages below were mostly, if not all, done with Audition.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh, something else it can't do: Stop acting like I want to record a session every time I launch A3!!

This is probably something I'm overlooking, so maybe someone can help me (Audition 3):

A while back, a client of mine sent me an audition session to work on, I opened it in Audition to bounce out all of the tracks to import into a PT mix session. Now, everytime I launch A3, it asks me to save an "untitled" session file. I am not sure why this happens on every launch; I have tried saving it as "untitled", then "close all" and then exit out of A3, but it keeps doing the same thing. In the multitrack (mixer) view, Track 1 is record-ready and it doesn't respond to me checking off the "R" button. Is this a bug or a setting I'm overlooking?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re-install??

Dunno, but that'd be hella annoying. I had a session crash so it always prompts me to try to open that session, but I cancel out of it.

Ill look into it and see if there's anything to be found.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, I spent some time a while back reading the manual but found nothing on it, and a few months ago I had to reinstall/reauthorize it on a new system build and remember it did the same thing on my previous DAW.

Besides this minor inconvenience though, A3 is SERIOUS. Forgot to mention that on this session, there were a couple of tracks that had clicks on it and editing them with the heal tool in spectral view was better than what PT can do at that level (using AudioSuite plugins on regions to remove clips seems f-ing archaic in comparison)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
ironicly that session crash thing you speak of happened to me last night. i went to open up a old session to edit the vocals for a radio version of the track. and when it would load up it would crash. i believe the fact that i foolishly was using dx plugins on that track which i have now uninstalled and replaced with vsts have much to do with it. long story short i couldnt reopen the session. i was devistated. there were only two flippin cuss words in the whole song! tragicly in a very unorthodox manner out of frusteration i loaded the mastered version in audition as well as the instrumental and did some crossfading to edit out the cussing. it worked out in the end but definitly wasnt the way i wanted to go about doing things.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
as far as i know it can't move automation data!! and that's a real mess....

you can't move it, it don't moves with the clip if you move the clip, you cant copy it etc....

or have i overlooked something ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by titch.de ➑️
as far as i know it can't move automation data!! and that's a real mess....

you can't move it, it don't moves with the clip if you move the clip, you cant copy it etc....

or have i overlooked something ?
Yikes, good question. Never came across that. The automation isnt really what I'd call intuitive with A3 either, so, dunno. The whole Read, Write, and Latch took me actually longer than to grasp than many other aspects in A3 and I still havent to be honest. For instance, I dont work with the little automation window that pops up, I just do the Read function and add delay shots in my reggae tracks. Works fine, but I dont ever bring up that little window with the automation envelope shown with the little points on it. Cant even think off the top of my head how to...and feel like a moron right now
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
yeah, theres to much points set in write modus, which makes it UNUSABLE to work with...you have to be satisfied with the first take....

also i get spikes (whole frequency spectrum) from time to time, when exporting, which were not there in the orginal data.

any other opinions ?

Last edited by titch.de; 10th December 2009 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
bump, anyone has a solution for the automationparameters ?
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by titch.de ➑️
yeah, theres to much points set in write modus, which makes it UNUSABLE to work with...you have to be satisfied with the first take....

also i get spikes (whole frequency spectrum) from time to time, when exporting, which were not there in the orginal data.

any other opinions ?
What do you mean first take only? I do tons of takes in the Multitrack section. I never get spikes either. Must be your cpu or soundcard.
Gear Addict

I've used it to produce many radio commercials with great results. I've never liked the effects interface. It feels much more tedious than Sonar. Which is my preferred music DAW. Also, the clip editor is not intuitive. I've tried to use it several times but always ended up back in Sound Forge. I actually like the automation tools but I've never had to move them as discussed earlier.
Gear Guru
I've been using it for so long that I just feel too comfortable to switch. I can do almost anything in Adobe, and what I can't do In Adobe, I do it in Fruity.
Old 13th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im giddy for A3, personally. Its excellent for what I need.
Old 13th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
What do you mean first take only? I do tons of takes in the Multitrack section. I never get spikes either. Must be your cpu or soundcard.
yes, can be!

again on automationdata:

i do a lot of radioshows ( 1 hour Podcasts ) with a lot of interviews, a lot of different soundsources and quality, voices & music etc.

there i end up often to use eq automation, limiter automation, volume etc.

BUT if i need to change a bit at the end of all this ( maybe i end up with 10 tracks with a lot of automation and audio) and i need to move something
its nearly impossible CAUSE Audition doesnt move the automation data!!!

thats my only mess, and it is really bad for my situation.

my only workaround is to render the actual session an re-import and cut it in a new session. BUT rendering with 1 hours material, eq's , limiter, verbs, automation - will render nearly real time - 1 hour in / 1 hour out.

so in the end i loose 1 hour because of the missing option to properly move
automation data. i search the adobe forum very often. but there is never an answer....

bye
Old 20th December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
IS there a way to get the metronome to count-in 2 bars before the recording starts?! can't figure this out! 1 must be highh!! ooh oh yea

can summmwuunnn tell mehh?

I mean like I want the metronome to click for 2-bars before it starts recording, that is all.

Also to chris i heard your song about mastering, and it sounded masterful, atleast the mixing and mastering part...alright it was a lil catchy too;
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
So Chris, please describe for me how you record into Audition, since you have been doing it for awhile you probably have developed a more intuitive and efficient way of doing things.

Also, HOW do I group tracks together if I want to perform the same exact edits to audio files on seperate tracks?

gaad damnn man i still caint fvxkvn figure out how to set a 2-bar count in!! fvxk!

so now I have to go and pull this track back to the start...is there quantizing in Audition?

I guess if I hook a midi cable up from the out of my souncard to the in of the MPC then when I hit record in Audition it will automatically start my MPC?

I spent all my mental currency I'm done for the night.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ok figured out how to edit two clips at once in multitrack view (DUH) that was pretty easy, just zoom in and drag the mouse over both ha!

But what about in Edit View, can I lock two tracks or files together to edit them both at the same time in exactly the same way?

ONE last question: what is the easiest way to move the cursor back to the beginning rather then finding and dragging it back?

tahnkx
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
sorry but this thread has become my official notepad for questions pertaining to Auditon 3.0.

I am reading the manual btw, I'm just don't have good reading comprehension these days..

Loops! ...

Q: How do set it to loop 4 bars in multitrack view? I found the loop settings when I right click on the loop transport button but there doesn't seem to be a setting to just loop the first 4 bars?

Q: Can Audition set TRACK INDEPENDENT LOOPS? Like if I want to set a 16-bar loop on track 1, 4-bar loop on track 2, and a 2-bar loop on track 3... is this possible?

If this ISN'T possible, do you know of any software (hardware multitracks) that can do independent track-loops?

I know one of the triton models could do it, but even my MPC can't do track independent looping so I have to work around it by copying and pasting, which can get time consuming and mess with my musical flow.

thank you kindly
Old 21st December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm also confused about whether to track: 1-track stereo or two mono-channels for mpc samples that are in stereo...

Because when I click for a stereo input it in Audition and I want to input a stereo signal from channels 7/8 on my sound card it only says: " [04S] Analog In 7 Delta-1010LT [1] "

Even though I have the stereo link set for 7/8 on my soundcard..

If I record like this to one track, am I getting a stereo signal, or just the signal from the left side of the stereo signal (input 7) or am I getting both channels (input 7 and 8) in the same signal on one track?

(? ? ?]

Old 21st December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
this program is incredible btw, most intuitive program ever, better then tracktion, although tracktion is easy to use as well, but I think it's more buggy, Tracktion also has a very good multiband compressor, not sure if it's as good as Audition's though I'm going to test them both on the same sample(s).

Also, Tracktion can easily use Audition or Audacity as a sound editor, but tracktion can be a bugaboo fa sho, they need to update that program mackie a bunch of ******s.

answer my quetsions you bych ass nvggvvs
πŸ“ Reply