Quantcast
Are there any downsides to having a scsi harddrive? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are there any downsides to having a scsi harddrive?
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are there any downsides to having a scsi harddrive?

I am making beats on the Ensoniq EPS classic midi'd to the Akai Cd3000i. I like the 3000 because I can scroll through drums easily on it and I really only use it for drums but I hate having to go through floppies to load drums every time I want to use the machine. I think a scsi hard drive would solve my problems but is there anything I should be aware of before buying one?
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton ➑️
I am making beats on the Ensoniq EPS classic midi'd to the Akai Cd3000i. I like the 3000 because I can scroll through drums easily on it and I really only use it for drums but I hate having to go through floppies to load drums every time I want to use the machine. I think a scsi hard drive would solve my problems but is there anything I should be aware of before buying one?
I use a scsi card reader on my eps16+. No moving parts.
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Off topic but I'm just moving my producing stuff to another room...and I always wanted to have my ASR-10 sit in the front...but it's f&^%in tough because it's soo big for nowadays "standards". How do you guys placed yours? You know the front placement would make me feel comfortable - sampling and really listening to what I sample with both ears, using the ASR as a master midi keyboard etc. I have no idea how to place it. I got a BIG desk but it's either too low or too high (almost every machine stands there and the monitors).

P.S.
My SCSI ASR HD'S were noisy as fuK, but CD-ROM is quiet after reading a disc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
I use a scsi card reader on my eps16+. No moving parts.
the moving parts werent a big concern for me as much as failures, corrupt files, or any other problems that might come about. I have 0 knowledge on scsi and everything i find on google is over my head. How is it useful with the EPS? sounds like you could overfill it very fast. I don't even know if I would be able to find a scsi reader or the expansion for my EPS 12bit these days anyway. I am mainly wanting it for drums for my S3000.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd ➑️
Off topic but I'm just moving my producing stuff to another room...and I always wanted to have my ASR-10 sit in the front...but it's f&^%in tough because it's soo big for nowadays "standards". How do you guys placed yours? You know the front placement would make me feel comfortable - sampling and really listening to what I sample with both ears, using the ASR as a master midi keyboard etc. I have no idea how to place it. I got a BIG desk but it's either too low or too high (almost every machine stands there and the monitors).

P.S.
My SCSI ASR HD'S were noisy as fuK, but CD-ROM is quiet after reading a disc.
I have a very small desk and 3 keyboards so my desk isnt meant to hold keyboards. I have a 3 tier stand on one side and my s3000 on the desk itself. my turntable is to the left of my EPS. works great for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
the moving parts werent a big concern for me as much as failures, corrupt files, or any other problems that might come about. I have 0 knowledge on scsi and everything i find on google is over my head. How is it useful with the EPS? sounds like you could overfill it very fast. I don't even know if I would be able to find a scsi reader or the expansion for my EPS 12bit these days anyway. I am mainly wanting it for drums for my S3000.
the failures could be related to moving parts. ever had a zip go bad?

I have a 2gb card with mine. It's great. I keep all the waveboy FX loaded on that card as well.

BTW, your eps is 13 bit
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
the failures could be related to moving parts. ever had a zip go bad?

I have a 2gb card with mine. It's great. I keep all the waveboy FX loaded on that card as well.

BTW, your eps is 13 bit
always had floppies
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which one of those Akai S rackmounts would be most comparable to a mpc3000 or 60?

Id like to give it a try on drums.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture ➑️
Which one of those Akai S rackmounts would be most comparable to a mpc3000 or 60?

Id like to give it a try on drums.
s900 or 950 theyre a bitch to rock though but go for under 100 on ebay
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
scsi drives are solid.
The only gripe is they are big and the cables are hard to get.

Just get a 9gb or 18gb glyph drive.

Use total commander with the EPS tools for ASR format.
Or translator free.

Always back up a SCSI HDD.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
scsi drives are solid.
The only gripe is they are big and the cables are hard to get.

Just get a 9gb or 18gb glyph drive.

Use total commander with the EPS tools for ASR format.
Or translator free.

Always back up a SCSI HDD.
Thank u but I was only asking for the S3000. Mine has scsi built in also so i only need to find a seller w/ the drive and cables which I have already done. Just wanted to make sure it was a safe buy thanks or the info on the ensoniq however
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Go the card route.
The SCSI interface technology you have in their is VERY old.
Which means you'd be buying a used hard drive.
How used? Who knows?

Unless someone makes ATA or USB 2.0 to "old" SCSI adaptors, but I doubt it.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Instead of the card reader you could also buy a MO-Drive. MO Disks are very stable, you can eject them when you've loaded/saved your stuff (they are not as loud as HDs but still a little noisy). I use it with the MPC2000 and cant say a bad thing about it. But I think with the s3000 its wise to buy a card reader. peace
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks for the feedback im not sure if my 3k will run with a card reader but if it will ill definately pick on up thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
thanks for the feedback im not sure if my 3k will run with a card reader but if it will ill definately pick on up thanks.

it will
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ive got several for my old 1680s.
Slow as ****.
πŸ“ Reply