The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how to creata a multiple kick/snare sound fx
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
how to creata a multiple kick/snare sound fx

Hi all,

hope you can help me on this.

I'm trying to create that fx on drums that makes them sound like there are several kicks and several snare. About the same FX that you get when you listen to a marching band.

I feel stupid cause i thought it was quit easy to get this fx but i just can't get it right, I tried with a chorus, tried to duplicate tracks, delay them differently, pan them in different positions, change the pitches...but i just can't get it right...

Can anyone help me on this?

i hop what i need to obtain is clear...

watch this for reference YouTube - Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland - Say It Right
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Um...you could start by layering in an additional kick/snare sound...
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
ok, you mean a different sampple, correct? cause i tried that too...
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Um...you could start by layering in an additional kick/snare sound...
Exactly. First you need to find the right sample. Then you need to find the right chorus effect. Roland chorus will get you there a whole lot faster but you still need the right sample.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the key to these tracks is layering a live drum kit to add some breathe and energy, and beef up ur drum section
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike ➑️
Exactly. First you need to find the right sample. Then you need to find the right chorus effect. Roland chorus will get you there a whole lot faster but you still need the right sample.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS ➑️
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i don't get how a live kit could help in obtaining this FX, i don't need to beef up my drums I just to get that chorus FX that can't be achieved onyl with a chorus on the insert...

please MikeyMike, explain me better... (different kicks need to be about the same? what setting on the chorus? etc. etc.)

tnx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwobic ➑️
i don't get how a live kit could help in obtaining this FX, i don't need to beef up my drums I just to get that chorus FX that can't be achieved onyl with a chorus on the insert...

please MikeyMike, explain me better... (different kicks need to be about the same? what setting on the chorus? etc. etc.)

tnx
What's this chorus effect you speak of? Proper arrangement and selective drum samples are the key to achieving this.... Sounds like a live drum kit IS included in this package....
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
thanks man! i'll try that
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So you're trying to get the effect of a lot of different kicks and snares....sort of how a marching band would sound, right?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Timbaland is known for adding live drums and percussion in his tracks.. be it his beatboxing or using anything and everything in the studio that makes noises in a rhythmic fashion. There's a video on youtube where busta rhymes is in timbo's studio talking about him using a pencil and a plastic cup for percussion... possibilites are endless....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze ➑️
So you're trying to get the effect of a lot of different kicks and snares....sort of how a marching band would sound, right?
correct!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
micro delays inbetween kick drum samples to separate them with or without very little panning... after a good drum layering session...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
record a live drum part with a nice tight groove you like... play in kick/snare/clap samples free hand- don't quantize em to the acoustic kits groove
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
correct!
Slight variations in timing for each drum track...even microseconds make a difference. Also vary with the pitch of each drum...but not to the point that it's noticable.

The reason all drums in a marching band don't sound like one big drum is MOSTLY because of these things. Depth plays a big part in it as well. Try out different reverb settings to give each drum the effect of being closer or further away.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i tried several times by changing the pitch but I never get the result I want, I tried also to create very small delays (a few samples or milliseconds) among the different drum samples but if the delay is too short it just sounds like a drum flam, if it's too long then i get phase problems and the sound sucks..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i tried several times by changing the pitch but I never get the result I want, I tried also to create very small delays (a few samples or milliseconds) among the different drum samples but if the delay is too short it just sounds like a drum flam, if it's too long then i get phase problems and the sound sucks..
The most convincing way to do it is to...well...actually DO it. Try recording several tracks of live drum hits (not samples...actually play a live drum).
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…