Quantcast
Mic/pre amp investing (yes i searched). - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic/pre amp investing (yes i searched).
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mic/pre amp investing (yes i searched).

Well, time come to buy a mic/pre. Lately I've been looking at the smb7 and the at 4047(major difference between sv and mp?). I was originally going to go with the smb7, but I heard it needed tons of power from your pre. Now my current pre is just built into my audio interface(profire 610) and only offers 20b of gain. I also already have a shure sm58.

So my question is... with about 5 or 600 to spend right now. What would you invest in? the shure smb7 and get a nice pre later? or get a condenser mic and not worry about a pre right now? I'm going to get a dynamic/condenser and pre eventually. It's just a matter of what to get now.

I'm looking for a nice warm soulful sounding mic to record male vocals on. As i stated, I also would like a nice pre to run my kicks through, along with using for my mic.

Also, my room is completely untreated, meaning that the condenser would pick up some reflections.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Spend the money treating the room... You can even DIY it and spend way less than 500...
After that my vote is for the SM7b
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I honestly planned on doing some DIY stuff with hanging up blankets to stop the reflections. So i'm not really to concerned with my room (I also plan on moving within 6 months).
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My 610 has to be CRANKED to push my 7b..I bought GAP-73 and it sounds great with my 7B, ton's of gain to spare!!

I would get a Sm7b=$290.00-300.00
and a , GAP Pre-73 =$299.00

You will have a nice chain for vocals, bass guitar, Ect..it sounds very good together!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try searching one more time, but be sure to include the phrase Hip Hop in the search terms. That'll turn up the results you're looking for.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➑️
My 610 has to be CRANKED to push my 7b..I bought GAP-73 and it sounds great with my 7B, ton's of gain to spare!!

I would get a Sm7b=$290.00-300.00
and a , GAP Pre-73 =$299.00

You will have a nice chain for vocals, bass guitar, Ect..it sounds very good together!!
thanks for the advice. Does the gap-73 give anytype of color/tone to the recordings?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the sm7 is a great option especially if you're not in the best of rooms.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle ➑️
the sm7 is a great option especially if you're not in the best of rooms.
Ya, that's what I read a million times by using the search feature. My main question is...

"So my question is... with about 5 or 600 to spend right now. What would you invest in? the shure smb7 and get a nice pre later? or get a condenser mic and not worry about a pre right now? I'm going to get a dynamic/condenser and pre eventually. It's just a matter of what to get now."

I've read up about the GA pre-73. Seems to have a nice vintage sound (which is exactly what I'm looking for). Maybe I'll scoop that with a sm7b and worry about a condenser later...

Also, I heard the sm7 and Sm58 have a similar sound to them. Would it be worth picking up one when already owning the other?
πŸ“ Reply