Quantcast
Quick question about the akai s950! Plz help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick question about the akai s950! Plz help!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quick question about the akai s950! Plz help!

after getting my first chop on my s950 and assigning it to my pad of my mpc how do i go about that same record i sampled and assign my next chop to the next pad and not delete the other. I look online through the mainly and there just must be something i just not getting. I know it has to to do with keygroups probably but i'm foreign to that. With my asr i know i can cop and slide to the next key and keep rolling love it for that. MPC i auto chop or copy the song and than chop it, go back to the original and repeat..etc... But how u do this with the akai s950 all i want to do after i got my sample kick i chopped and it sounds great might i add! i wanna grab me a snare from the same sample and move it to the next pad and so forth....So pleaz someone tell me how to do this....
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get the different samples you want edited in the edit screen, set em to different midi key #s then set em up in the program edit screen and play the program on the mp pads. It's all in the manual which is available online.
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi,
for the MPC:
use the zone edit, then you don't have to copy your sample again and again! Go to the trim mode, then set it to "play zone" in the right upper corner if you press "play x" you here your marked zone, if it's ready press "edit" and rename the sample! Now it's saved as a new sample and the originla is still there! Now you can take the end point of your first zone and set it as the start point for your next sample with the numbers, it's more easy and save a lot of time!
S 950:
You have to set keygroups, every sample has it's own keygroup. If I have a drumbreak and wanna have all the snares, bassdrums and hihats, I usually sample each sound individual. The I cut them and put em to the keygroups. At least you have to set your individual outs for each key group!

My english is not the best but I hope I helped you!

Peace Osten Powers
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
JaeOne gave some good advice for chopping on the S950 here:

https://gearspace.com/board/2483501-post9.html

In the post he talks about setting up a keygroup disc for his S950 that's set up for his SP. If you're triggering with your MPC you're going to have to make blank templates for both the MPC and 950.

1) MPC programs default with GM so you're going to have to make a chromatic program in your MPC starting with MIDI note 35 (B0) on Bank A Pad 1 all the way to MIDI note 98 (D6) on Bank D Pad 16.

2) Make a keygroup template disc for your 950 that you will boot every time your start a new project just like Jae described. You'll be making 64 keygroups all together (one for every pad on the MPC A1-D16). On the 950, under "Edit Program", set the "Lo Key" and "Hi Key" for Keygroup 1 to MIDI note 35 (B0). Keygroup 2 will be low and high key 36 (C1). Do that until you get to Keygroup 64 with a MIDI note of 98 (D6).

This whole thing is a drag the first time you do it. But after it's done, you have it forever and making programs on the S950 is easy because you just drop them into premade keygroups and trigger them in order from your MPC.

Let me know if that makes sense.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glad someone finds my s950 posts useful!

People sleep on the pre set keygroup disks!

My MPC 10000 (JJ OS 2xl) starts with C1 36, as opposed to 35, but it all depends on the machine you use.

My SP is in General Midi format, so my s950 keygroups are all over the place, haha.

I have a chart on the sp1200 forums to make it easy to make keygroups with the SP.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah man...the template thing is a LIFE SAVER.

Didn't know that about it starting on 36 though. I'm actually about to move to an MPC 1000 with JJ OS. That will be a fun afternoon of moving all the samples in my drum kits up....one...by...one. It will be worth it once everything is working together in the end.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
unfortunately my card reader on my mpc2500 which i got off fleebay is pins are busted and i put a hard drive in it and it used to work and now it doesn't for some odd reason. Than i messed up one of the screws when i unscrewed it to install and the head of it kinda scratched and strectched out and iono how to get it out so i'm screwed on that part :(...so i gotta do it the hard way....soooo....

as you guys mention to go to the section of the hi and low...ok got my one sample kick on 37c#1 on the mpc. I make that into kg1 ok now i move onto to make kg2 and set it to the next pad 36 c 1 and when i do that it takes out my kick i started with to sequence in the mpc. Which is not what i was hoping for :( so frustarting wanting to figure this out, why am i not getting this. All i want to do is go to the next pad, assign it and go to my next chop so i can get snare, than hi hat, etc...and that's it...all i want...i do the kg1 thing i set the hi and low to the pad, and try again and still nothin...mutes my last sample and nothing happens til i set it back to where the sample was when i stared. Do i need to rename the sample so my first kick remains there while being playback through the mpc, and than adjust the hi and lo for the next pad with the kg set to 2 or what?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa771 ➑️
Yeah man...the template thing is a LIFE SAVER.

Didn't know that about it starting on 36 though. I'm actually about to move to an MPC 1000 with JJ OS. That will be a fun afternoon of moving all the samples in my drum kits up....one...by...one. It will be worth it once everything is working together in the end.
JJ OS1 started on 35 in chromatic mode so it just differs machine to machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAS ➑️
unfortunately my card reader on my mpc2500 which i got off fleebay is pins are busted and i put a hard drive in it and it used to work and now it doesn't for some odd reason. Than i messed up one of the screws when i unscrewed it to install and the head of it kinda scratched and strectched out and iono how to get it out so i'm screwed on that part :(...so i gotta do it the hard way....soooo....

as you guys mention to go to the section of the hi and low...ok got my one sample kick on 37c#1 on the mpc. I make that into kg1 ok now i move onto to make kg2 and set it to the next pad 36 c 1 and when i do that it takes out my kick i started with to sequence in the mpc. Which is not what i was hoping for :( so frustarting wanting to figure this out, why am i not getting this. All i want to do is go to the next pad, assign it and go to my next chop so i can get snare, than hi hat, etc...and that's it...all i want...i do the kg1 thing i set the hi and low to the pad, and try again and still nothin...mutes my last sample and nothing happens til i set it back to where the sample was when i stared. Do i need to rename the sample so my first kick remains there while being playback through the mpc, and than adjust the hi and lo for the next pad with the kg set to 2 or what?
Hoas.

It aint hard. I am assuming you can sample already. Do that.

Edit program, pg. 3 make key groups.

Go to pg. 5 Edit hi and low and keys (same key number for hi and low that corresponds to pad)

Pg. 5 See where it says soft sample? Scroll til it says the name of your sample. Each keygroup "KG1" KG2" will have a different sample next to SOFT SAMPLE

Pg. 15 Constant Pitch keeps the root the same regardless of the keygroup. I use constant pitch for my samples. When I take the same in the edit sample screen, I always give it a oot of c3 60.

Page 16. You can keep all your keygroups on one channel or different channels.

Pg. 17. Output page. If u got kick, hat, and snare, they all need to be on their own output #1-8. You can select these and still use the main mix out.

That's pretty much it man. The s950 is super basic.

My boy DFACE made a video: Check it..sp12/00 being used but same idea.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Pg. 5 See where it says soft sample? Scroll til it says the name of your sample. Each keygroup "KG1" KG2" will have a different sample next to SOFT SAMPLE
i figured it out and i guess it should've been obvious but it really threw me off following everything u guys said which is correct except u left to say u had to "name them" after u set your keygroups for your first sample to set however many u want. After u do that u go to page and the u go to KG2 where u would likely set your second keygroup set your hi's and low's as u guys said to the key but also at sample name rename it and go to your edit sample and place that name on the first page and go as usual and it won't effect the rest after u set your mono setting and constant setting etc...like u guys and the tutorial mentioned....So anyone else that had this problem it's just renaming it and putting it back in.
Old 14th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
old post but good pointers Jae.

like the keygroups disk, used to do this on s3000xl completely forgot about it. gonna start doing it on s900
Old 14th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ya, no problem, glad to help.

The past couple years I wasn't really using my sp-1200 or my s950 but I dusted them off last week and am having a lot of fun again.
Old 15th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i've had the s900 sitting here gathering dust for ages, just getting into it. not much different from the rest of the akai range.

but I am loving the sound, yeh i could do it in a daw and wack 3 to 5 inserts but why when the s900 is there straight up raw!!!!!!

i've owned a few different RAKI's over the years and I've always enjoyed the NON-visual waveform editing. trying to explain to someone yesterday, its better to hear the sound than see the waveform when chopping.

i'm def going to setup the keygroups for s900 corresponding to the MPC1k jjos and one for MPC3k.

( 2 weeks holiday off the day job. )

also having to do some tech work on it, kinda frustrating everytime i sit down in the mood for beats, some ugly hum rears its head but its all good, best get the soldering iron out in these two weeks

building a studer 169 eq clone as per the prodigy project
πŸ“ Reply