Quantcast
Hip Hop Software Synthsizers - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hip Hop Software Synthsizers
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture ➑️
1) Every kid i talk to online posesses that too. And its their least favorite...from what i heard it reminded me of albino...
Haha they must only be using the presets, and not even tweaking them.

OP: Learn how to PROGRAM those synths OP, or at least TWEAK the HECK out of those presets. You should fully understand envelop ADSR (it's really easy anyway), LFOs (more difficult), filters (easy), how to use detuning, pulse width, and phase shift to scuplt sounds, portamento (really easy), and modulation matrices (anything goes, route whatever to whatever). It's all basic stuff, from a technical standpoint. You should be able to take every single pad you have and make it a lead, every single X and make it a Y (from just a technical perspective - it's different whether it sounds usable or not). Even if it's unusable, you're still no worse off than you were at the start when 80% or whatever of your presets wouldn't fit into the track, and you'll get some useable presets. (SAVE THEM). You should learn how to use these things to soften any "trance-someEDMgenre-weirdness" in all of your presets and make it more "hip-hop/commerical". Figure out what weird modulations are causing the weirdness and decrease the effect or change them. You should be able to recognize the effects of a weird pitch LFO or excessive detuning or odd oscillator tuning and change them. You should be able to at least recognize when weirdness is caused by excessive delay or reverb and lower the wet signal. FM or RM weirding up those sounds? Turn them off.

Presets are presets. And then there are degrees of modification. 1 degree of modification might be changing ADSR in some way. Then you can change a few LFOs, and you are up to 2. Don't like the sonic character, change a few oscillators, filters, or fx, that's 3. It might take 3 minutes, tops. (Save it as a new preset). You might have only 200 presets or whatever in your synth, but within a few degrees of modification, you have like 40,000 sonically distinct 3-modsets. (official coining this phrase, and I don't know the number but it's huge).

Exercise number one: Try turning off arpeggiators or trance gates to turn GAT/ARP presets into LED presets.

The artistic side is of course a lot more difficult, but you should have the technical side of synth programming down (as much as you need, since you aren't training to be a pro sound designer), within a week tops of study and practice.

If you aren't paying people to make your sounds, and you aren't satisfied with your sounds, learn to make your own sounds.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Eloheim's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic ➑️
Exercise number one: Try turning off arpeggiators or trance gates to turn GAT/ARP presets into LED presets.
Now that you mention it....

Yours is a great post btw
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
What's inherently "unhiphop" about gates & arpeggiators?
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Eloheim's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbongsilver ➑️
What's inherently "unhiphop" about gates & arpeggiators?

He's just giving ideas for making new sounds out of presets.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloheim ➑️
He's just giving ideas for making new sounds out of presets.


"You should learn how to use these things to soften any "trance-someEDMgenre-weirdness" in all of your presets and make it more "hip-hop/commerical". Figure out what weird modulations are causing the weirdness and decrease the effect or change them. You should be able to recognize the effects of a weird pitch LFO or excessive detuning or odd oscillator tuning and change them. You should be able to at least recognize when weirdness is caused by excessive delay or reverb and lower the wet signal. FM or RM weirding up those sounds? Turn them off."

This section deals with getting rid of "un-hiphop sounds". The rest is general advice.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Addict
 
Equiv_Exchange's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
that beetmaker vst had me rolling! heh
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Addict
 
PeeWeeGee's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
There is something wrong with me.

I saw the title of this thread and I STILL clicked on it.

- c
+1

Maybe we can arrange group therapy! Ugh!
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Reggmail's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years


Albino IS one of the best VST ever made
YouTube - Albino 3 Presets Electro Part. 4 oOo
Predator
YouTube - Rob Papen Predator Wah Saw
NEXUS2 Demo.2 also one of the best.
YouTube - NEXUS2 Demo.2
reFX Nexus - How To Achieve Maximum Quality
YouTube - reFX Nexus - How To Achieve Maximum Quality
Vanguard Trance Presets
YouTube - Vanguard Trance Presets
Zata SONAR7 Producer Edition Z3TA+ sound test [Cakewalk by Roland]
YouTube - SONAR7 Producer Edition Z3TA+ sound test [Cakewalk by Roland]

Dimension Pro and Rapture Demonstration (64 bit) also the full ''DP'' comes free with Sonar Producer 8.5
Allmost like Spectrasonics Omnisphere
YouTube - Dimension Pro and Rapture Demonstration

The Spectrasonics stuff is all that as well.
Spectrasonics Omnisphere HQ Demo (BEST VST EVER!!)
YouTube - OMNISPHERE AT NAMM
YouTube - Spectrasonics Omnisphere HQ Demo (BEST VST EVER!!)
YouTube - Spectrasonics StylusRMX Part 2
Spectrasonics - Omnisphere Video Episodes
Spectrasonics - Omnisphere Episode 1 - The Revealing
Spectrasonics
Spectrasonics - Trilian - Videos
Hope this helps
Peace & blessings

Last edited by Reggmail; 18th November 2009 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: More Info
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Addict
 
FredYeah's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Reggmail, thats some cool list. But even all the VSTs in the world are not going to help the OP out. Many people tend to forget that VST had an i at the back. The I of INSTRUMENT. And like any other instrument, you need a lot of time and practice (blood, sweat, tears, yada, yada) to master it. If one doesn't sound good on a Fender, or a Gibson, or a PRS, one should ask themself whether it is the instrument that is lacking, or their playing.

I have / had: Albino3, Predator, Blue, Omnisphere (sold), Massive (Sold), ZTA3 (Sold), Sylenth1 (Sold), Atmosphere (Sold), etc. etc. Nowadays I make almost all my tracks with Albino3 and Xpand2.

Now drums VSTi, there are certain differences. StylusRMX is a very different product than Steven Slate Drums for instance. And hardware synths all have their own sounds. But my opinion is that softsynths don't have their own signature sound and thus are interchangeable. The OP is really just burning all his money with buying all those softsynths, imo!
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman ➑️
Get the Beet Maker Vst!!!! Best in the market!!!


it's dated, I have the autotunizer expansion, so it's time for you to upgrade.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Prod. ➑️
it's dated, I have the autotunizer expansion, so it's time for you to upgrade.
you sure it's a legit copy, spelling is too good
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
I did not read all the other postings..

I sold my ASR10 and I found the ASR10 CDS load into Kontakt 4.

Sounds near 90% as good!
You can get the CDS on ebay for $100 for all 13.

The drums are a blast on Kontakt!!!
Damn, I didn't know you coulld import Ensoniq sounds. Any way to import the effects as well? That makes me wanna buy Kontakt now.

Also, where did you find them on Ebay for $100> I am looking for several but would probably be cheaper to buy them as a set.
Old 19th November 2009
  #43
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
codeman that vst is amazing!!! lmao!
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
I like Arturia. old style synth but u can save presets. I usually sit for hours and just make patches for them.. Id spend the money 3 more times for thoes. just my 2 cents
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
  #45
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
How to make your own patches

I know massive has crazy options for creating your own patches and looks daunting....... I just red through the Novation V station user manual and was able to get a very clear understanding of analogue synthesis and how the stages work...... from there I previously had red and bought the book Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook...... between these two items you will have the understanding that your being clowned about not having in this thread......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V Station Guide.pdf (1.06 MB, 463 views)
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Reggmail's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah ➑️
Reggmail, thats some cool list. But even all the VSTs in the world are not going to help the OP out. Many people tend to forget that VST had an i at the back. The I of INSTRUMENT. And like any other instrument, you need a lot of time and practice (blood, sweat, tears, yada, yada) to master it. If one doesn't sound good on a Fender, or a Gibson, or a PRS, one should ask themself whether it is the instrument that is lacking, or their playing.

I have / had: Albino3, Predator, Blue, Omnisphere (sold), Massive (Sold), ZTA3 (Sold), Sylenth1 (Sold), Atmosphere (Sold), etc. etc. Nowadays I make almost all my tracks with Albino3 and Xpand2.

Now drums VSTi, there are certain differences. StylusRMX is a very different product than Steven Slate Drums for instance. And hardware synths all have their own sounds. But my opinion is that softsynths don't have their own signature sound and thus are interchangeable. The OP is really just burning all his money with buying all those softsynths, imo!

FredYeah Agreed to a certain extent, when I get ready to purchase a synth, DAW or anything for that matter, I like to hit the ground running.
I rely on other ''reliable users'' before wasting my time and money on a item.
The problem that I find is that most (not all) ( Hip Hopers...Lol ) people has a lazy mentality and don't want to study or leave their comfort zone to learn new possibility's.
Zust Blaze was talking about the same thing when he felt comfortable buying the MPC 5000 and found that to him, it was crap and decided to go totally computer.
I believe that you grow when you expand yourself to different ideas, software, technology.
I like to get out of the box and discover new possibility's. you don't necessarily need to buy everything, most will allow you to demo the product before you get the cracked version....Lol

All that being said, how did you like RMX ? It looks interesting and tempting to me ( please be a reliyable source....Lol )
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
EVERYONE on this board has an opinion. My advice is to work with whatever you get. If you can't get it to do what you want, keeping working at it until you can.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Addict
 
FredYeah's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Reggmail, the nail on the head my friend. I think that a lot of people don't even know 50% of how their gear and plugs work. Which really is a shame, because for me, it's just that 10% extra a certain piece of gear can do, that makes me decide to keep it or not. But anyway: Stylus RMX.

I own StylusRMX and use it on everything I make. It's my number 1 and almost only source of drums. (Most due the the fact that I make mostly electronic music. I find the StylusRMX to really shine on electronic drums. The 808 / 909 kits in there are really amazing. And there are so much - good sounding - samples, that I never feel the urge to look for my drums elsewhere. The sound of the real kits is good to in my opinion, but I never seem to get the programming with the fills right to make things sound good. But to be honest, I haven't used that very often, so I'm not the guy to trust on this... )

I have 2 different ways of working with Stylus. The first is I put Stylus on a stereo audio track, and make 8 midi channels. I route these midi channels to the 8 different inputs in Stylus. This way I have 8 drumtracks, that go to a master. I use - per track - the very good sounding FX that come with Stylus. Good compressors, good eq, good FX. Often I use a drum compressor on the stereo audiotrack, where Stylus is on. The disadvantage for me with this mode, you can't use your other plugs on the individial tracks, since they are midi tracks. The advantage is the very fast workflow.

The second way is that I make my beat (all the drumpatterns) and then bounce them individually to WAV and import them. That way I have all the seperate drum tracks and can I use my own plugs. Than bus all the drum tracks to a stereo aux to apply drum compression there (if needed).

I also used an extension pack for Stylus, think it was called BackBeat. Very good sounding realistic drums. Cool fills. But all pre-made and again I didn't get my own custom fills to sound right. Did I mention it also packs a very good FX library? With explosions, boomers, etc. etc.

I run Stylus with Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.2 on a I7 920 Windows XP 32 bit machine.

Nothing but love for Stylus RMX here!
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Dr.Wu's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah ➑️
Reggmail, the nail on the head my friend. I think that a lot of people don't even know 50% of how their gear and plugs work. Which really is a shame, because for me, it's just that 10% extra a certain piece of gear can do, that makes me decide to keep it or not. But anyway: Stylus RMX.

I own StylusRMX and use it on everything I make. It's my number 1 and almost only source of drums. (Most due the the fact that I make mostly electronic music. I find the StylusRMX to really shine on electronic drums. The 808 / 909 kits in there are really amazing. And there are so much - good sounding - samples, that I never feel the urge to look for my drums elsewhere. The sound of the real kits is good to in my opinion, but I never seem to get the programming with the fills right to make things sound good. But to be honest, I haven't used that very often, so I'm not the guy to trust on this... )

I have 2 different ways of working with Stylus. The first is I put Stylus on a stereo audio track, and make 8 midi channels. I route these midi channels to the 8 different inputs in Stylus. This way I have 8 drumtracks, that go to a master. I use - per track - the very good sounding FX that come with Stylus. Good compressors, good eq, good FX. Often I use a drum compressor on the stereo audiotrack, where Stylus is on. The disadvantage for me with this mode, you can't use your other plugs on the individial tracks, since they are midi tracks. The advantage is the very fast workflow.

The second way is that I make my beat (all the drumpatterns) and then bounce them individually to WAV and import them. That way I have all the seperate drum tracks and can I use my own plugs. Than bus all the drum tracks to a stereo aux to apply drum compression there (if needed).

I also used an extension pack for Stylus, think it was called BackBeat. Very good sounding realistic drums. Cool fills. But all pre-made and again I didn't get my own custom fills to sound right. Did I mention it also packs a very good FX library? With explosions, boomers, etc. etc.

I run Stylus with Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.2 on a I7 920 Windows XP 32 bit machine.

Nothing but love for Stylus RMX here!
you could bypass the step of rendering to wav if you send the 8 parts of stylus to 8 channels of your DAW in Multioutput mode. That way yo can directly use other plugins for each part.
And yeah-i am also a big fan of RMX used it on every project since the day it came out.
Fantastic piece of software.
Have you ever tried to apply the chaos designer to single drumsounds?-its beyond crazy!
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Addict
 
FredYeah's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
What what what? So route the midi tracks in stylus and then route them in 8 seperate audio tracks out again? Im currently building my new homestudio, so i cant check it out now, but seriously, that would be an amazing workflow for me.

There you go, the plugs have so many features these days.. Can't believe i didn't think of this. And yes. The chaos designer rules in every way.

Thanks for the heads up Dr. Wu!
Old 23rd November 2009
  #51
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Um...where's Scott? No comment since?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 60 views: 13696
Avatar for smokingrobot
smokingrobot 29th May 2012
replies: 14291 views: 1603524
Avatar for Mplay
Mplay 1 hour ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump