Clearer Vocals - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clearer Vocals
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-E ➑️
yeah I need some help, I figure if I can fix my vocal problem, when I mix the rest of the tracks in, they wont be so muddy
The vocal doesnt sound too bad..the track does.
Try what I said regarding the vocal eq and then see what happens.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cal-E,

How are you achieving the effect when you say "girllll"? Sounds like autotune with enhanced vibrato? It warbles.. Please share how you did this it sounds cool. Nice track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J CraQ ➑️
Cal-E,

How are you achieving the effect when you say "girllll"? Sounds like autotune with enhanced vibrato? It warbles.. Please share how you did this it sounds cool. Nice track.
I have Autotune on...I turn my retune to 4. Thats about it...The "girl" part comes out like that simply by the way I say it. Usually adding a little vibrato in my own voice, and lettin autotune do the rest. The more nature u deliever you words and tones, the better autotune works and sounds. Thanks...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco ➑️

"I can mix a beat very well. And I can mix the vocals in ok."

The answer to this is - you mix it all to work together, not one thing first, then the other.
I think its possible tho.)) (I mean beat is ready and then vocal mix in).
Honestly, I've done it both ways...either way can work...theres no wrong or right way to do it...So I do both...I'll mix the beat to my liking...this way I know what I want to stand out and not stand out...Then I mute and start over with the vocals usually coming in 3rd after my kick and snare/snap/clap...and adjust accordingly..

Its funny cuz the average Consumer doesnt even care about the mix. Most people say, "it sounds good to me". Then I have to point out things thats wrong that I need to fix, and they still tell me that it sounds find to them, but to do my thang. Most mixtape are mixed horrible, but do they care? Nope...We care tho, cuz this is what we do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Cal-E.. I see this working that way! Like detuning an oscillator on a synth. Appreciate the tip bro. Good luck to ya. Try using saturation plugs in your mixes they may help.
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Honestly, I've done it both ways...either way can work...theres no wrong or right way to do it...So I do both...I'll mix the beat to my liking...this way I know what I want to stand out and not stand out...Then I mute and start over with the vocals usually coming in 3rd after my kick and snare/snap/clap...and adjust accordingly..

Its funny cuz the average Consumer doesnt even care about the mix. Most people say, "it sounds good to me". Then I have to point out things thats wrong that I need to fix, and they still tell me that it sounds find to them, but to do my thang. Most mixtape are mixed horrible, but do they care? Nope...We care tho, cuz this is what we do.
Some B.M.s obsess over things that most consumers dont give a **** about....and that is just one of the reasons why most HH these days just plain sucks .
I wouldnt even call it hip hop anymore.

Sad but true.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Some B.M.s obsess over things that most consumers dont give a **** about....and that is just one of the reasons why most HH these days just plain sucks .
I wouldnt even call it hip hop anymore.

Sad but true.
Consumers really don't care lol. They aren't audiophiles, they just want to listen to music and enjoy the experience.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PSM is post for post 100% on this thread. The concepts are pretty basic, but they don't happen over night. If you can get one mix to sound right, every mix after that will be a million times easier.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

BTW good song!)
I'v just listened it in studio and I think that vox is just TOO PHAT for the mix. I mean they occupy too much of the spectrum. And to my taste them need to cut lo mids...That sounds kinda annoying imo...But the Voice is very capable of getting that phat sound! Sorry for my english. U see i'm not native speaker))

And nothing wrong with hip-hop. We'r just living in a post hip-hop era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gans Ja ➑️
BTW good song!)
I'v just listened it in studio and I think that vox is just TOO PHAT for the mix. I mean they occupy too much of the spectrum. And to my taste them need to cut lo mids...That sounds kinda annoying imo...But the Voice is very capable of getting that phat sound! Sorry for my english. U see i'm not native speaker))

And nothing wrong with hip-hop. We'r just living in a post hip-hop era.
What do you mean by the Vox is too phat?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What do you mean by the Vox is too phat?
It means that they have way to much lower mids and lows in general.

Use a hi pass at about 220 hz or so...and then bose a touch of 5kz..and then work on that track
Quote:
It means that they have way to much lower mids and lows in general.

Use a hi pass at about 220 hz or so.
Thanks. Sometimes when I cut the lows it starts sounding a lil too toneless. I'll practice getting this down better today.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks. Sometimes when I cut the lows it starts sounding a lil too toneless. I'll practice getting this down better today.
You just have to know which frequencies to cut.

Use a parametric,solo the track and just sweep across the frequencies until you find the offensive culprit and then cut or hi pass or notch accordingly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey, just gave it a quick listen. The string hit is masking the vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➑️
Hey, just gave it a quick listen. The string hit is masking the vocals.
Masking? What do you mean? Like interferring?
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
I learned some new tricks on gettin this mix bigger...So take a listen and let me know what else u think I could do to push it even further...
Attached Files

Let You Go (Snippet).mp3 (2.63 MB, 150 views)

Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
rap vocals :/
ever tried the sm7b?
love it for rap
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would get a different mic.

Rent/borrow and see if that makes a difference.

The ksm32 is a mid or small diaphragm condenser and you might find that something else gets you closer to the sound you were looking for.

On the cheap, ADK Hamburg. (also that shure sm7 recommendation is good)

There are also some good mixing tips in this thread, but the OP said he isn't getting what he wanted when RECORDING.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I learned some new tricks on gettin this mix bigger...So take a listen and let me know what else u think I could do to push it even further...
I like it...however,the vocals are over compressed(nothing new in hh)
Decent track...but forget the "loudness wars" and let the song speak for itself.
And do yourself a favor and hire a pro engineer to mix it because you just MIGHT have something there.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Set your master fader at around -6.
Try starting with just the vocal.
Get it like you want it.
Then work on the kick with the vocal.
Next the snare and hats,and then the bass and the other elements.
At some point in the method you described would you move master back up or leave at -6?
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Could be the Mic and vocal chain and half to mention the convertors....
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
I like it...however,the vocals are over compressed(nothing new in hh)
Decent track...but forget the "loudness wars" and let the song speak for itself.
And do yourself a favor and hire a pro engineer to mix it because you just MIGHT have something there.

Nope, I am gonna mix this and I'm gonna mix it right...I think I've got it, take a listen...
The concepts are clickin more then before I started on here, so let me know what you think I need to do to it now...
Attached Files

Let You Go (Snip Snip).mp3 (4.73 MB, 105 views)

Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nope, I am gonna mix this and I'm gonna mix it right...I think I've got it, take a listen...
The concepts are clickin more then before I started on here, so let me know what you think I need to do to it now...
I would increase the pre delay on your verb on the lead. It needs a little but off space between the onset of the vocal and the verb. Personally i would make it even shorter(around .3 sec of decay) and EQ the send and return a touch(to give the effect ofan upfront dark room) and mix a slight ping pong delay really low in the back.

The back ground vocals in the choruses need a different treatment though. Something to make it lusher and thicker.

Just an opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
I would increase the pre delay on your verb on the lead. It needs a little but off space between the onset of the vocal and the verb. Personally i would make it even shorter(around .3 sec of decay) and EQ the send and return a touch(to give the effect ofan upfront dark room) and mix a slight ping pong delay really low in the back.

The back ground vocals in the choruses need a different treatment though. Something to make it lusher and thicker.

Just an opinion.
thanks, I'll change it like that and see what happens...
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
thanks, I'll change it like that and see what happens...
Yeah when the reverb is too on top of the vocals it tends to make the vocals sounds glossy and the words not intelligible. A short & tight verb will make the lead sound more upfront and the low mixed in pingpong will give it a sense of depth without getting in the way.

Go all out on the chorus and don't hold back. The chorus is what people usually walk away remembering. By not holding back you'll give your track the needed contrast against the simpler verse.

Good luck with it because whatever you are doing so far is working.thumbsup
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just listened to the track. You need to sit your vocal over dubs in the correct spot. Play around with the panning to find that sweet spot. This will HELP GREATLY with the clarity. Also.....

1. You need to Roll off some of the bass in the vocals
2. Add some air (a sprinkle of HF).

Last but not least the compressor on the vocals seems a little too harsh. I assume your using a Virtual compressor. It would be a GREAT benefit to your mixes if you take a look at some of the classic tube virtual compressors.

Other then that, you seem to be on the right track with your mixing game. Keep mixing and asking questions man. Your sound will eventually get to where you want it. I would highly recommend that you acquire a professional mix engineer buddy. It's always good to have someone physically show you and teach you a few tricks of the trade;-)
πŸ“ Reply