Quantcast
basic synth programming question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
basic synth programming question
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
basic synth programming question

i just getting into synths now, just curious bout something, say im modulating my filter cutoff with an lfo, what exactly is this doing?

like i know i can hear the wah wah and all that, but how exactly does it relate to the main cutoff freq for the osc.. , is it affecting the cutoff near the value that the main switch is set at and just going up and down from there?

because when i change the main value the freq changes alot, but then i can also mimick this sound by just using the lfo. the way im seeing it right now, is that the main cutoff i have set for my osc is like where the freq modulation starts from, and the lfo goes and does it from there but i dunno

ive played around for quite a while but cant exactly put my finger on how its working

if i set it to a negative value, (knob left) or positive value (right), whats the difference?

sorry if this question is vague too, i know eveyr synth is diff but im sure this would crossover to most synths. also, the one i been playin round on is vanguard and the filter is low pass (if it helps with any examples) thanxxx
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

most LFO's are bipolar (they go up+ and down-) some can be used as one shot envelopes, if you use positive settings the cycle will start with a positive value, if you use negative settings it will start going with a neg value, it's more useful when using slower LFO speeds or you want to use your LFO's for autopanning or something like that
Old 23rd August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
thanks for the help, i think i get it now
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…