Quantcast
hiphop vocal chain(whats yours) - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
hiphop vocal chain(whats yours)
Old 16th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
but do you spit hawt fieyah like my 3 favorite rappers, dylon, dylon and dylon?

heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethastian
His balls are so big we call him death star.

please tell me that i just missed the whole sarcasm part of this.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu
Does anyone have experience with the ISA 430mk2. I got a good offer and thought it would be nice to have for the compression, eq, expander/gate, de-esser.

By the way I love it when someone with experience tells me something that defies what I have previously been told. RE: sm57. I will give it a dig when I get the chance.
I've only used the MKII once. And really didn't use it, more just toyed with it for a bit. I have the original 430 and still love it. Don't think you can really go wrong with the MKII. You are getting nice compression, great eq, much better than average mic pre. All around good box. If the price is right, I'd do it. Just don't expect it to sound like a Neve, because it dosen't. It has it's own flavor. What are they asking if you don't mind saying?
Old 17th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the reply stoneface.

They are asking about $1450US which for me is excellent. I am in Australia and more often than not we pay at least twice as much for stuff. I have seen the MkII listed here for $5500Aus, about $4200US. But usually it is about $3000US.

I have heard the ISA428 with a Ribbon mic and believe it or not a SM57 and I liked its sound. I already have a A-desings MP2 and need a compressor so I figured I would give the MKII a try because I was planning on getting some ISA pres just for the flava.

I also like how the MKII can act as a two channel AD converter. If you look at the back panelling there is a two inputs for seperate of the inserts to use only the AD converter.
Old 17th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
U87 --> 1073dpd --> Distressor --> AD16x --> HD2

Yeah baby!! heh
Old 21st August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Indeed. I've been working in my early years with an old SM57 that served a club for about 15 years and in which dozens of really drunk DKs (or what goes tthrough for DJs ) had been spitting in with their filty mouths, bwaaaak! But I didn't have the cash for something else so...

Later, I bought an AKG C414 BTL-II, only to find out that with the SM75, I recorded the best vocal takes ever!

Ok, I have to admit also that I had absolutely no frakkin' idea what I was doing, although, those days, I thought I had but mostly, my results sucked beyond any recognition... Still, once I had a pretty cool result, with the SM so sayin' it is a bad mic doesn't fly.

Next to this AKG I also bought an U47 clone which sounds actually better than the real thing. (don't bother asking me where I bought it, it was a guy from a recording studio who helped me getting it and he doesn't want just anybody to take advantage of this opportunity, don't shoot me guys, it's just the dude's opinion and I am just happy he gave me the opportunity. All I can say is that the mic carries this as brand: SYT-2)

And even though I didn't get an SM57, I'm sure that someday I will get me one.

Regards
Lawrence O.
Old 22nd August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Soundelux U195 --> Avalon VT 737SP --> Lavry Blue A/D D/A --> RME Digiface --> Nuendo
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
M149-->737(pre only)-->1176 or sometimes(LA2A)-->MOTU HD192 clocked by Big Ben @ 96/24
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita
but do you spit hawt fieyah like my 3 favorite rappers, dylon, dylon and dylon?

heh
BACK UP MAHN, YOO TO CLOSE!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsay
BACK UP MAHN, YOO TO CLOSE!
one of the best Chapelle's ever!

smk
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Pop screen --> U195 or AT 4060 --> 737 sp --> Lynx 2c --> Sonar
Old 25th August 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Here's my setup: A microphone, a preamp, and a compressor. I'm an ultra gear slut. I put out for even the cheapest gear. My mic and preamp collections are fairly modest since I mostly do mixing.

I've found that my clearest, cleanest vocal comes from a Rode NT-2 and ART MPA, compressed through my UREI 1178 (which brightens the hell out of it, but I handle that in the mix).
Old 29th August 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

for hip hop? very straight ahead.. i always choose a tlm170 because you don't get a "what's this mic?" question.. they're happy to see it's a neumann... but i don't waste my time setting up a tube mic..
if i have a neve, i'll use it. otherwise, whatever's on hand (vintech, ssl pre..), no compression.
i can say i do hate the c800 737 combo like nothing else.
Old 13th September 2005 | Show parent
lemme try to clear this sm57 thing up

i'll have a go at it.

generally speaking you'll never get a "great" sound from the sm57 but (and this is a very important but) you can sometimes get great performances from the 57.

put a singer in a vocal booth with headphones on and everyone watching and sometimes they get nervous and hold back... they won't feel comfortable.. it's a much more clinical environment which *can* work for some pros but not for others.

sometimes getting that hot take is just a matter of putting them in a more "live" environment with the monitors bumpin' and everyone vibing.

so, while the sound will tend to be "worse", an sm57 can be just the thing to help squeeze the right performance out of an artist.

i'm kinda surprised no one mentioned this... it the PERFORMANCE we're trying to capture here.. no one cares if it's technically perfect when they listen to records... it has to hit em in the heart.. or balls.. or whatever.

so use whatever helps you get that performance from your talent... NOT what makes the engineer happy. if it's a 57 or a $5k manley gold reference no one will care in the end... hunt for that performance.

there. how'd i do?

Last edited by 11413; 13th September 2005 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the most popular chain for cats with real budgets is u87>>737. then people with amazing budgets often have the c800g into a premium preamp other than the 737 (like a vintage neve or one of the newer boutique offerings).
Old 13th September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm pretty sure it's Missy Elliot's go-to piece. I think she's c800g>> 430 mkII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu
Does anyone have experience with the ISA 430mk2. I got a good offer and thought it would be nice to have for the compression, eq, expander/gate, de-esser.

By the way I love it when someone with experience tells me something that defies what I have previously been told. RE: sm57. I will give it a dig when I get the chance.
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Manley Reference Cardioid Mic. SSL Xlogic Channel Strip x2 ADC192khz, BigBen, Trak2, AES8+ Ambus, HD AMBUS, Protools HD2 Accel...
Old 15th September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
U87ai-->1073dpd-->Distressor--> Apogee AD16x--> HD2.

I haven't much experience with a lot of mics, so I did a lot of reading on them.
I kept hearing a lot about the U87, so I picked one up.
Now that was before I knew about Gearslutz. And now that I've been a member for a nice amount of time now, I see that not too many people speak fond of the U87ai. Why?

It is my only mic right now.
Old 15th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd
U87ai-->1073dpd-->Distressor--> Apogee AD16x--> HD2.

I see that not too many people speak fond of the U87ai. Why?

IMO the U87 is over rated... I've used one for some time now and I find it just chillin in the mic locker most of the time... But it is one of those item's that people like to see in the studio just like the Avalon...
Old 21st September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's my current chain.

Rode NT1A -> Rane MS1B -> dbx 163X -> EMU 0404 -> Cubase SX.

Sounds pretty good, but i want more different kinds of compressors. Looking forward to getting an RNC and possibly an RNLA. I may also grab a TB101 and an Oktava MXL 2500 to get another mic for the locker.

thumbsup

Illumination

www.musicfreedom.com/illumination (this stuff was done with a Behringer console and the NT1A as well as software compression in Cubase VST)
Old 22nd September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
U87ai --> Great River ME-1NV --> RNC --> Yamaha O1X --> Cubase SX2 (PC)

So, Big 3rd, do you like the U87ai? I havent made my mind up on mine yet. I keep listening to vocals recorded by the Dr Dre camp...and they sound miles better than my mic chain. I know they use a C800G....but does it have anything to do with the post compression? Would a Distressor get me more towards that crisp, in-ya-face sound?

I'm 90% certain my U87ai will be up for sale to raise money for a C800G.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offender

listen to several tube mics before you get the C800G - have whoever you're working with
on hand to hear some alternatives......i've only heard this mic once, and i wasn't crazy
about it - it's a very expensive mic - for the same bills you could get top of the
line soundelux or korby or
brauner......in fact you might be able to get one
of these mics + a distressor for
less than the sony......

just a thought

be well

- jack
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yer but i just want this slutty nightmare to end. I know for sure that the Sony C800G is what I need. It's meant to only work its true magic in Omni. Then, if I'm still not happy...I'll just put up with it. I'll know it's the talent of the artist that's the problem.....you get me?

But having mentioned the Brauners, they seem like a great choice too. I wouldn't mind checking out the Valvet. I like mics taylor made for vocals.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yer but i just want this slutty nightmare to end. I know for sure that the Sony C800G is what I need. It's meant to only work its true magic in Omni. Then, if I'm still not happy...I'll just put up with it. I'll know it's the talent of the artist that's the problem.....you get me?

i would get you if i thought mike sounded good or if it were $2500........check out a few....
the sony sounded really thin and vibeless next to the e47 and elux251.....

be well

- jack

🎧 15 years
Quote:

So, Big 3rd, do you like the U87ai? I havent made my mind up on mine yet. I keep listening to vocals recorded by the Dr Dre camp...and they sound miles better than my mic chain. I know they use a C800G....but does it have anything to do with the post compression? Would a Distressor get me more towards that crisp, in-ya-face sound?

The in your face vocal sound you're reffering to is a combination of several things. Here's a little gem that will get you closer to that sound.

You need to get two really fast compressors, VCA preferrably.... DBX 160 into Alan Smart C1 or C2 would be a good idea. You could also get a really nice sound using the Distressor or 1176 into the Smart during tracking. Plug the output of the first compressor directly into the input of the second.

I have some info on the C1 and C2 that you can read on my website...

http://highprofileaudio.com/wst_page8.html

While it's best known as a mix buss weapon, I know lots of big time engineers who use it on vocals.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
isnt that sorta what the rnc's "supernice" mode does? i dont know if im reading it right or not but fmr's site refers to supernice mode as a cascading chain of compression that eases up the 'load' for each compressor and imitataes multiple compressors linked up like u described. anyone know if that sounds good/comparable?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know I'm late but better late than never right? Anyhow.. I don't do rap at all..I'm a rock guy all the way. But as far as using a 57 for vox goes, I ran into the same thing recently while doing this crazy metal record. The singer simply sounded best on a cheap little 57. I tried all of my big boys but they didn't sound as right as the 57 did. Also it's a performance thing..they are used to them and they can jump around and hold them. It's a comfort zone thing. For this particular job it was 57 all the way.

But what the hell do I know about Rap.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by byunsen
isnt that sorta what the rnc's "supernice" mode does? i dont know if im reading it right or not but fmr's site refers to supernice mode as a cascading chain of compression that eases up the 'load' for each compressor and imitataes multiple compressors linked up like u described. anyone know if that sounds good/comparable?
Huh?... OK, I just checked their site and to quote:

"In this way, none of the individual compressors has to work quite as hard as they would if there was only one compressor doing the same amount of gain reduction. If things are properly adjusted, you can accomplish a good level of signal control without the usual "choked" sound of the typical lone compressor. By the way, this technique works well with almost any type/brand of compressor(s). Try it with the other compressors in your rack!"

This is a technique for getting a hot signal into your DAW. You can try this trick with any combination of compressors you want. But, lots of times you'll just get more noise or an extra squashed sound. To get the sound Offender is looking for, the path I layed down using the VCA based Smart C1 or C2 compressor and another fast compressor is the road to salvation. The VCA's in the Smart are important to the punchy in your face sound..
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks Tony...I think someone else recommended that VCA compressor to me before. I know I can't afford two compressors right now...but it's something I might star planning for.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've seen the smart C2 stereo compressor at nearly $3,000. I can't afford that at all.
Closed