Yes
68 Votes - 51.13%
No
65 Votes - 48.87%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
damn! all i can say is damn! im mixing quicker with this sh*t, drag and drop plugins like its nothing, i've only played with it for a couple of hours but the workflow is the sh*t!!! im coming from a cubase sx3 background and i'm currently demoing Sonar 8 aswell and now Reaper! i tried working with sonar but damn its too much info on the screen and the menus! its too much.

im still a bit suspicious tho if theres any drawbacks in sound quality using Reaper and plus this thing is like a floppy disk size daw! unbelievable! i havent tried makin a beat on it tho but mixing with it is so much better than sonar. i still got love for cubase tho specially the midi part
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know man.

I'm liking reaper a lot . I bought a PDF on line called REAMix for 15$ and it showed me a few cool tricks that is well worth the money...but i'm just so used to Sonar.

I like reaper for all that it can do.. i like Sonar for how confortable i am with it.

The big Minus for me in Reaper right now is the automations... they are very good but my control surface is not well supported ( Motor Mix ) and i hate doing automation with the mouse.

The big minus in Sonar for me is the Motorboating issue wich makes it unreliable to record costumers

If i could merge the two in one apps... it would be DAW Heaven lol

-Alxi-

I Have PT M-Powered wich support the motor mix so well but to make it work as i like it, i have to use the Mellowmuse thing for ADC and it takes up some much needed CPU wich limits me in what i can do mix wise.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➡️
why not just use PT??... I don't see any use in using Reaper if i have PT for mixing and recording.

The routing capabilities and the Reamote functionality alone would justify Reaper over PT or anything else in the DAW market for my needs. These are two areas that matter the most and Reaper just kicks ass in this department
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I caught myself a few times in recent days, thinking I could route stuff around as easily in Protools as I do in Reaper. Whenever I come back to Protools I see its strengths and its limitations, because Reaper is now on the scene. There are no routing, track or effect limits, especially with todays hardware.

V3 is incoming. Lots of goodies for the Midi folks and plenty of other things. Even people familiar with the size of changelogs in between versions of Reaper will be surprised.

I don't want to mix music on anything else again. Or effect designs, or audio books, or radio dramas.
Old 13th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➡️
When they stablize the Mac version I would be all over it. I'll probably load it on my G5 when I move over to a Pro. Reaper loads VST right?

totally agree a stable mac version and I'm there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airon ➡️
There are no routing, track or effect limits, especially with todays hardware.
I wouldn't go quite that far. It's certainly far less limited than other daws so it's on the top of the heap as far as routing goes. It does have limits, like no post fader effects inserts, and some other things... but it still stands (as far as routing goes in general) at the head of the class. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Post Fader fx insert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➡️
I wouldn't go quite that far. It's certainly far less limited than other daws so it's on the top of the heap as far as routing goes. It does have limits, like no post fader effects inserts, and some other things... but it still stands (as far as routing goes in general) at the head of the class. heh
What is that?

And what really throws me is when you can designate dedicated tracks for sends post fader, isn't that in essence a post fader insert? If you de click master send in the I/o window from the source then you only hear the receive track.

Are u talking about this for driving compressors?

I do this right now with some automation. Bgrotto got me experimenting with it since his thread. Lol

I think cubase had this feature right? Real world solution is patch in the compressor on an aux buss which receives a post fader send or it receives from a post fader direct out.

I don't consider it a coding issue, more like a macro waiting to happen.

Lawrence what other routing issues do you want resolved? I came from Cubase SX3. Routing was never my fav thing for SX3 lol.

My beef is still metering for hardware outs. Absolutely inexcusable why all u get is a plain ass window with no meters or clip indicators. Grr

I can't complain about automation though. I love clicking it in with my trackball mouse. Sometimes I turn off snap to finetune. Automation on mutes and automation on fx returns is bonkers. Fx parameter automation is something I avoided for years because it was so dodgy in Cubase. Now its a whole new world.

On a side note, the de essing u can do in ReaComp is really brilliant. No de esser tone that all de essers save for an expensive choice few. Switch between feedback and standard compression modes for awesome results.

I've considered recording naked (no compression or de essing on the way in) to incorporate ReaComp as a de esser and then do one loopback through my outboard compressors to evaluate.

Gotta wait for my new mics to arrive. Getting a guy to build me some circuits for my tube mics I have. Figure I go for a complete mod on both of my mics.

Peace
Illumination
📝 Reply