65 Votes - 48.87%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does this post make sense??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
That would make too much sense. Its funny because one of the reasons they give for choosing reaper is prohibitive costs of upgrading PTs. Now the suggestion is pay 50 more bucks to add an unnecessary component to PTs. Outstanding logic...

LOL

I guess the flipside question would by. Why not just have all reaper users buy PTs to ensure compatibility on all levels, if the should happen to get a professional gig?

I do understand the pros and cons of Reaper vs PTs, but once you start getting more gigs, not having PTs can get annoying. I was anti PTs for a long time. Not somuch these days. If you are a hobbyist, its MUCH easier to fight the good fight.

All that being said, I historically have mixed audio in Samplitude. I will probably get PTs this year though. Having artists fight with lazy PTs engineers can annoy them. Annoyed artists may view your shop as unprofessional due to the lack of convenience.
What are you talking about??

A $50 component that lo and behold gives you ADC. HMMM does PT have that yet? Wasnt that done back in 95???

How are you saying all of that and then you "might" get PT??

Dude Samplitude is a nice program but you are way off task here.

I think this guy is going to miss Reaper once he spends ALL that money to go to an HD system just to get PDC and ADC. Dont forget about the HD hardware you have to buy.

$50 later and I have a good system. Its up to the end user what to utilize.

Grab a RME 9652 card and use whatever interface you want. Hell get Lynx converters if you want.

Its really about the guy at the machine and how willing he is to learn the platform.

The playing field is level at this point for most engineers.

You think I'm using Reaper because I feel cool using it?

A program that technically is free for perpetuity kind of eliminates the crack market for it.

I'm completely free of cracks on my system and it feels good knowing I own all of my software and have a clean safe system to handle my projects.

Even the schwa and Stillwell plugs are nagware, but fully functional even without the unlock code. Look how good those plugins are.

I know this is gearslutz and alot of guys work with big timers are on here, but there are plenty of guys who got pulled under the bus with marketing too.

Now that there's so many choices and so many ways to get your stuff mixed by different people its clear that there's no such thing as a real standard anymore. At least it doesnt handcuff the aspiring emcee or producer.

Every project I've been FTPd always came as a consolidated project, even if I had PT, the majority of folks I see wanting stuff mixed don't have it. Go figure.

Might have something to do with people making complete projects in software outside of Nuendo and Pro Tools. I mean wow, people still trip over how well coded Samplitude is, but its been coded well for a long time.

If the only thing a person can do to counter an alternative daw is say that the industry uses PT then there's really no argument for or against it.

The industry uses SSLs, so people at D&D should never have used Soundcrafts and an MCI??

The industry uses 1073s, so people who use Great Rivers aren't industry standard??

The industry uses U87s and C800gs. SO people who use Pelusos and Pearlmans and Wagners are not up to task??

The only real qualifier against Reaper is feature set at the moment.

Post production is not getting the support it needs right now for video, even though Reaper does support video.

Midi engine still not as complete as Cubase's which is to me the best one around short of Fruity Loops (for hip hop).

Cosmetics are the one remaining step for routing.

The first two are not a deal breaker for me. Midi is good enough to get people's heads knocking and the groove quantize is decent.

I only want an I/O window with meters. So far you only get em on the inputs but not the hardware outputs. There's a work around but I think it steals a little CPU.

Automation is a big deal for other users. You can draw it in with your mouse but others prefer to get it with the mouse during playback by dragging the fader or with their controller. I'm fine with doing it by hand for now, but I also don't own a controller. I own a console.

And again there's workarounds for automation that are to me better than automation. Since I have 3 gigs of ram and usually have about 2.25 gigs free during a big session (go figure), I just print the events with effects and they trigger at their points. Way less CPU.

Is it worth it for me to spend a couple grand to get PT or another DAW for nearly 800 bucks?? Hell no. That would be foolish.

If you are mixing for majors then sure you need PTs. That's established.
If you are just mixing for yourself and your homeboys maybe even 4 or 5 clients a month (good money for me!) then there's no need.

If you get the record deal then they got dudes that know how to import anything. Sheesh they might even download Reaper just so they can export your music.

I just think if you buy an expensive system you should have some of the basic stuff covered. Like PDC.

Reaper is cheaper and has at least attempted to cover 90% of the bases needed to do a full blown project.

Peace
Illumination
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
rjs
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well, this is my 4th day with trying out reaper. Recorded via the mackie onyx firewire into my main core2duo machine. Mic'd the marshall 60's cab/amp with sm57, and the Rivera amp for another track with the same mic. Ran the Yamaha motif es via fully stereo panned r/l into 3/4 and pounded on it. Ran the Takamini acoustic into high z direct and recorded it into the mix as well.

Ran a vocal track with my sennheiser and mixed it up with a few quality plugs, did a second and did my own harmony tracks.

Sounds fine to me.

No crashes, no problems, good recordings, good saves..

Output was quite nice with a few hours of mastering and mixing. I usually get a pretty good sounding recording doing things the way I do them. And honestly this is just as prestine, sounds good to the ear, and costs only 50 bucks. I spent 10 hours today on this and working with Reaper. I'm sold. I am a professional musician. People have always paid to hear me sing and play for years.

All I care about is something that gets the job done. It's a tool. It need be proficient at what it does. And honestly, this is proving to be quite a nice software. Very happy with what I see.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
People really waste a lot of time and energy about what other people are or aren't using.

Just use what works for you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid ➑️
People really waste a lot of time and energy about what other people are or aren't using.

Because there are alot of guys just starting out with making music who don't know whats out there unless its on the shelf at Guitar Center.

Reaper is sold only thru its website.

Word of mouth has done its job to a point but lets be fair.

Should everybody use PT? Or should they learn it?

I say no.

Reason being that within the next 6 months Reaper is going to switch to version 3 (huge upgrade) and people will have a hard time justifying spending 600 dollars and up to mix in their bedroom when they can get great results with a 50 dollar application. And thats if they EVER get around to paying for it!

To me choices equate freedom, equate better results, equates a better environent period for both musician and software engineer. You DON'T have to download cracks galore to make music.

And your hands aren't cuffed to certain AD/DAs either.

I heard about ardour too. But right now Reaper is boss for least expensive and good results. That and the fact that the customer service, which is the developer and his cadre, plus the thousands upon thousands of folks who use the program and will help you usually within minutes on the global forum is what sold me.

Ive been a registered user almost 2 years now and I don't miss Cubase with its 2 minute load times, lockups, crashes over nothing. The bull**** hardware freeze where your output was locked once you froze a hardware insert. It all is a distant memory for me now.

I can easily run 100 + track counts in my sleep, the coding is brilliant.

The best thing for you to do is just try it out. Hate it love it. Doesn't matter, I just think from my perspective that since everybody is starting out at some point they should know all the options.

Imagine how dope that would have been if even 3 years ago, someone told you that you could buy a 350 dollar computer with a 100 dollar soundcard and a 50 dollar DAW was all you needed??

$500 bucks for a recording setup???

Come on this was UNHEARD of.

And since we're talking hip hop, most guys had their MPCs and Tritons already. It was the recording part that was prohibitively expensive. You could easily spend a good 3000 dollars on a recording setup and still want more out of it or have a hard time justifying the cost when you A) Didn't have a record deal or B) Didn't book out time to clients.

Just food for thought.

I'm currently salivating over my new (used) 8 track reel to reel.

Peace
Illumination
rjs
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

That is a fair point. And also true and accurate. However, as a musician I also have my inspirations and have developed my talent since age 8 to 42 based on others experiences with various pieces. So it's not all bad to ask questions and get involved I don't believe. It's more of a trial and error thing and we have all had bad experiences in the music world with various areas of both software and hardware.

Good to let others know your experiences. Helps in the decision making process.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Yeah. It's a monster that feeds itself when people suggest in a certain tone that others who use X, Y or Z are being "conned, misled, cheated" etc... and then they respond and then what do you have? A daw war.

Reaper has a really devoted following. It's a great daw, I use it also so I understand the high levels of enthusiasm which is warranted and justified on many levels. At least in this particular case (I think) Reaper users are trying to help drive it's developement by bringing new users no board to support the developers.

It can't replace Cubase for me yet though. Personal choice... not a big deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I understand you dig Reaper, and that's cool. I'm on a MacBook Pro, so from what I saw glancing at their website, I'm not compatible yet. But when I am, I'll give it a go.

And it's cool ya'll like Reaper and it does seem like a cool program, but every post is basically bashing PT on the side. If you like a program, that's fantastic. If you want to tell people about it, go right on ahead. But save all the its better than PT or better than Logic and you're dumb if you don't do things my way vibe to it. All it does is stir up the ever over flowing pot of senseless bullsh!t and moves the thread off topic.

Just use what you use and don't knock nothing else cuz you don't dig it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is telling folks on a forum...

Quote:
I understand you dig Reaper, and that's cool. I'm on a MacBook Pro, so from what I saw glancing at their website, I'm not compatible yet. But when I am, I'll give it a go.

And it's cool ya'll like Reaper and it does seem like a cool program, but every post is basically bashing PT on the side. If you like a program, that's fantastic. If you want to tell people about it, go right on ahead. But save all the its better than PT or better than Logic and you're dumb if you don't do things my way vibe to it. All it does is stir up the ever over flowing pot of senseless bullsh!t and moves the thread off topic.

Just use what you use and don't knock nothing else cuz you don't dig it.
I can sync up 16 tracks of reel to reel thru the Repro head in Reaper as a hardware insert (latency compensation), knocking PT?

Is telling people I can install Reaper on my cellphone and take it to any studio knocking PT??

I'm simply stating the obvious. Not making a pointed statement.

If you own a Porsche and tell someone you can go 150 mph and not feel it, did you just knock a Ford Focus??

Not saying PT is a focus but do you follow me?

I like PT's sidechaining (last time I used it).

But all I have to do is tell Justin and he can actually do something about it!

My biggest feature that I'm waiting for is a better freeze scheme so I can just burn down multiple tracks of hardware effects to stem with one command instead of a few menus.
Really it just saves me a few extra seconds and I could probably set it to a hot key.

That's all I'm waiting for.

My homeboy only complains about its last of an internal audio editor aside from what you can do already.

I'll live. I use Audition for destructive editing.

Believe me I only really want to see who is using it and why others arent at least trying it, since its free to try, unlike quite a few programs where you cannot demo them.

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➑️
Because there are alot of guys just starting out with making music who don't know whats out there unless its on the shelf at Guitar Center.

Reaper is sold only thru its website.
So either you penalize Digi for having good distrobution, or penalize Banjo Mart employees for not selling things they dont carry in the store.

Makes perfect sense. Are you sure you dont use a Mac becasue your LOGIC is outstanding....

When discussing PTs you say....
Quote:
Should everybody use PT? Or should they learn it?

I say no.
But where reaper is concerned....
Quote:
The best thing for you to do is just try it out. Hate it love it,
Im not even using PTs at the moment but....
Gear Guru
I only use Fruity and Sequoia
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can sync up 16 tracks of reel to reel thru the Repro head in Reaper as a hardware insert (latency compensation), knocking PT?

Is telling people I can install Reaper on my cellphone and take it to any studio knocking PT??

I'm simply stating the obvious. Not making a pointed statement.

If you own a Porsche and tell someone you can go 150 mph and not feel it, did you just knock a Ford Focus??

Not saying PT is a focus but do you follow me?

I like PT's sidechaining (last time I used it).

But all I have to do is tell Justin and he can actually do something about it!

My biggest feature that I'm waiting for is a better freeze scheme so I can just burn down multiple tracks of hardware effects to stem with one command instead of a few menus.
Really it just saves me a few extra seconds and I could probably set it to a hot key.

That's all I'm waiting for.

My homeboy only complains about its last of an internal audio editor aside from what you can do already.

I'll live. I use Audition for destructive editing.

Believe me I only really want to see who is using it and why others arent at least trying it, since its free to try, unlike quite a few programs where you cannot demo them.

Peace
Illumination
My dude - it's a DAW.

They all do the same thing.... just differently... but sometimes you're just contradicting yourself.

One second you say, if you're doing major label work, go with PT cuz its standard but if you're chillin with your people at your home studio go with Reaper cuz its 50 beans.

Then you brag about syncing it with a tape machine... Um, last time I checked people with little home set ups aint really rockin reel to reels like that.

Comparing cars to DAW's? Really?

Listen, I'm happy that you enjoy Reaper. I'm glad that works for you. But you've honestly mentioned Pro Tools damn near as much as you've mentioned Reaper in this thread. People seriously got some extreme inner hate for Pro Tools - why? If something is working for you, why ask if others are using it? And if they aren't, why question them? Are you looking for some kind of verification that what you're doing is what's best for you? I guess I just don't get it.

I would try Reaper, but I'm on a macbook... Hey, Pro Tools is compatible on my computer.. Not trying to call Reaper a Ford Focus or anything...

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
I only use Fruity and Sequoia

Sequioa looks great. Tons of options for just about any kind of audio work available. Expensive, but apparently to those who use it... worth every penny.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just parked my Focus for a second...

Quote:
My dude - it's a DAW.

They all do the same thing.... just differently... but sometimes you're just contradicting yourself.

One second you say, if you're doing major label work, go with PT cuz its standard but if you're chillin with your people at your home studio go with Reaper cuz its 50 beans.

Then you brag about syncing it with a tape machine... Um, last time I checked people with little home set ups aint really rockin reel to reels like that.

Comparing cars to DAW's? Really?

Listen, I'm happy that you enjoy Reaper. I'm glad that works for you. But you've honestly mentioned Pro Tools damn near as much as you've mentioned Reaper in this thread. People seriously got some extreme inner hate for Pro Tools - why? If something is working for you, why ask if others are using it? And if they aren't, why question them? Are you looking for some kind of verification that what you're doing is what's best for you? I guess I just don't get it.

I would try Reaper, but I'm on a macbook... Hey, Pro Tools is compatible on my computer.. Not trying to call Reaper a Ford Focus or anything...

And are you sure that all DAWs do the same thing?

And who is bragging?
I think you misunderstood me. I said I can sync up my reel to reel as a plugin with latency compensation. That is not bragging, that is a valid description of the program in use. How I am baggin on PT is beyond me. I could be baggin on Cubase. Cubase does not allow you to repatch your hardware thru the software (at least at SX3) once you render/freeze it. As far as I know, Sonar supposedly has hardware inserts, as well as Samplitude among other programs. Truth be told you could say (Blank) allows me to sync up my (blank) as a plugin with latency compensated and somebody would think that person is bagging on a program that doesn't do that.

Then again, using hardware as an insert in a DAW ADC is a pretty mid level to upper level feature. So I was actually trying to demonstrate that the program is far from un pro in its features or mission statement. And as well just trying to put it out there that one is not bragging by saying what they can do if they aren't doing it to put someone down.

I can play ping pong with both my hands. Is this bragging?? (Shut up! I am a geek, get over it).

I have never been in a car accident since I became a licensed driver. Is this bragging?

I can take Reaper on a thumb drive. You can do the same thing on PT, but you have to pay and I don't. That is NOT bragging, that is the plain out truth.

If we have to go there, my only gripe with DAWs for hip hop is that people say PT is pro, but never really have collective experience among many DAWs to say why its PRO, only that everybody who is somebody uses it.

As far as GC I am NOT blaming them for anything. They are there to sell you gear and provide whatever advice they can to assist you.

Note I mentioned that people on some level don't know about Reaper, despite its recent crop of media coverage. Reaper has gotten some press (good and bad) in Sound on Sound among other places, but in my experience hip hop producers and aspiring engineers are more prone to read Scratch than Mix magazine.

So I am simply putting my experiences as a validation for the program's worthiness. I make hip hop music, I engineer, I write songs, I know what the program is like.

Whenever the young bucks ask me what I use they always ask why not PT because of blah blah blah. Its like their response is rehearsed or something.
But they don't argue with the results (the tracks). SO to me thats the best stimulus they need to open their minds. I mean truthfully I can convince Neophytes to use Cubase SX3 because of how I used the program to get the results I did for The Goonies' album. They say wild **** like how much better Cubase sounds than PT.

I just laugh it off, its the operator, not the machine. It just so happens a 50 dollar program can and does work for hip hop. I left SX3 behind and never complained since.
But I don't think this thread has done anyone a good service by it being a flame war.

Maybe if I post up some hip hop from Reaper, then it will clear the atmosphere?

I can do that, some snippets hows that?

Dunno much about Macs. Never owned one, except the one I found on the curb in the burbs.

Here is the OSX Beta for Macs.

http://reaper.fm/files/2.x/reaper255_BETA.dmg

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the point you missed was...

"Why do you need to convince anyone to use anything?"

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been using reaper to mix a couple of commercial projects and I LOVE IT. Its stable, versatile, sounds awesome, doesn't give me a head ache. Using it with waves api, psp squad, urs csp, stillwell rocket, apogee rosetta, lavry dac/adc black, roll music rms755, 2 X rnc, 2X rnla, EH12ay7 x 4 (with mullard & gec nos valves) DAV BG1, rnp. Couldn't ask for more except maybe a pultec and a fairchild.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
I think the point you missed was...

"Why do you need to convince anyone to use anything?"

And at the same time convince them not to use something else... lol.

I will use neither, either or both if it sutis my purposes.

Hey cov did they get the issues worked out with that LAN Networking feature yet? It was buggy and not nearly as well implemented as Fx-Teleport, last I checked in on it. You seem to have accepted the role of resident Reaperologist. Whats the word on that?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I saw they had a BETA version.... not really down for getting my hands dirty on a BETA version when I'm content with everything I got now.

I don't have to the time do the whole back and forth thing, I gotta get some groceries in my empty ass fridge.

I've already stated what I wanted - do what works for you.

At the end of the day when a consumer hears a track they're not gonna say

"Damn I love that Reaper flavor" or "Ooooh that Pro Tools sound makes me sh!t shades of heavenly happiness"

And yeah, DAW's all pretty much do the same thing differently. They record audio. I know some do things differently and some have better features, but at the end of the day, you're recording some sh!t into a program.

You're in Syracuse?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
there are really alot ppl having probs with convesion of formasts
but ssl convert allredy do all we need !.

the only reason you might choose protools hd is a long time workflow and customers
watching on the screen shows a hd icon.

just pic the right daw app you need ! and not a marketing model.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yup

Quote:
I saw they had a BETA version.... not really down for getting my hands dirty on a BETA version when I'm content with everything I got now.

I don't have to the time do the whole back and forth thing, I gotta get some groceries in my empty ass fridge.

I've already stated what I wanted - do what works for you.

At the end of the day when a consumer hears a track they're not gonna say

"Damn I love that Reaper flavor" or "Ooooh that Pro Tools sound makes me sh!t shades of heavenly happiness"

And yeah, DAW's all pretty much do the same thing differently. They record audio. I know some do things differently and some have better features, but at the end of the day, you're recording some sh!t into a program.

You're in Syracuse?
Yeah that's where I am. Lol. Syracuse is great. I've met a lot of folks here who worked with some big acts - Aretha Franklin to Run DMC. Best part is everybodys biz is everybodys biz lol. I don't like the studios here. All ITB mixes from the in house engineers and no outboard, its wild.

Live scene here is good though. As is the rest of NY state in general.
Love performing in the Cuse.

Peace
Illumination
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
all I got to say is that I installed PT 8 on my Miko yesterday, played around with the new midi integration....Reaper is now Un installed from my machine!!! that's hat I ve been waiting for for years!!! now if you are happy with reaper good for you, use it and make music
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah that's where I am. Lol. Syracuse is great. I've met a lot of folks here who worked with some big acts - Aretha Franklin to Run DMC. Best part is everybodys biz is everybodys biz lol. I don't like the studios here. All ITB mixes from the in house engineers and no outboard, its wild.

Live scene here is good though. As is the rest of NY state in general.
Love performing in the Cuse.

Peace
Illumination
Some of my people are up there. LAB - dont know if you've heard of them or not.

They be saying there's not much as far as studios up there.. I get a lot of there stuff to mix but now theyre gonna make the trip down here to PA to record.

I gotta get up to the Cuse again though. Its been years.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah I know LAB...

Quote:
Some of my people are up there. LAB - dont know if you've heard of them or not.

They be saying there's not much as far as studios up there.. I get a lot of there stuff to mix but now theyre gonna make the trip down here to PA to record.

I gotta get up to the Cuse again though. Its been years.
LAB is def still around, I haven't heard much about them in a while though. ****s been quiet for a minute, at least in the media, save for The Goonies (my band).

We won studio time for being best new band of 2008 and we didn't even cash the time in. You wanna know why?

They're very right about the studios up here.
The best part is the studios that are up here, most of the engineers are terrible, except for MoreSound. Jocko is a good dude by far, he just doesn't believe in OTB mixing unless its an SSL board. My dude he got a 52 channel Soundworkshop (think early API) console from Prince's B room and all he does is monitor with it! He wont sell it either, likes the way it looks.

You could go to a website from one of these pro studios and listen to 50 songs, they all sound exactly the same. How the hell does a Salsa song sound exactly like country western or speed metal sonically?

****s terrible. They charge like 60 an hour for bull****.

I don't rent time out for my studio but I do FTP stuff and location recording (mostly Rock bands).

Got 8 track reel to reel, Reaper, 24 channel mixer, 2 track reel to reel, bunch of old school pres, custom built mics. Old school compressors.

I told alot of young cats up here about Reaper and they hopped on it quick. Free software? No cracks? Hell yeah!

Peace
Illumination
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I almost fell out of my chair.

You do realize your problem can be solved with a send right?

There's several send options in Reaper's IO window on each track, one of them allows a send to be routed so it doesn't get muted when you mute the source track. Might be the pre fader post effects option??

Do you have multiple ins and outs? I would think so. Just make one of them the outputs for your players headphones. Have it set so it doesn't get muted when you adjust the source track.

It might not be labeled CONTROL ROOM but thats what the keyboards are for.

Peace
Illumination

Man Im pretty sure ive tried every possible way. I even came up with a stupid way with Reasert or whatever it is, but that was too weird.

Im sure Ive seen Justin saying on his forum how mute is designed to mute every channel of a track.

Ive got a FF800 and Ive sat here with phones on and went through and tried all kinds of stuff. Every possible way with the post/pre fader selector. Im used to the solo only muting the fader or AB outputs.

Thats what kinda blows me away about the whole deal. Reaper is crazy powerful with the routing, but for recording its behind as far as CR routing is concerned. I shouldnt have to worry about the click going to the room being muted when i want to solo a gtr channel. I should be able to have tracks that are muted from the master, cr, everything else but the room. pushed off to the side and untouched, shouldnt have to worry about them never being heard. On a board you would just mute the channel or tun the fader down and send it out to the room.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
LAB is def still around, I haven't heard much about them in a while though. ****s been quiet for a minute, at least in the media, save for The Goonies (my band).

We won studio time for being best new band of 2008 and we didn't even cash the time in. You wanna know why?

They're very right about the studios up here.
The best part is the studios that are up here, most of the engineers are terrible, except for MoreSound. Jocko is a good dude by far, he just doesn't believe in OTB mixing unless its an SSL board. My dude he got a 52 channel Soundworkshop (think early API) console from Prince's B room and all he does is monitor with it! He wont sell it either, likes the way it looks.

You could go to a website from one of these pro studios and listen to 50 songs, they all sound exactly the same. How the hell does a Salsa song sound exactly like country western or speed metal sonically?

****s terrible. They charge like 60 an hour for bull****.

I don't rent time out for my studio but I do FTP stuff and location recording (mostly Rock bands).

Got 8 track reel to reel, Reaper, 24 channel mixer, 2 track reel to reel, bunch of old school pres, custom built mics. Old school compressors.

I told alot of young cats up here about Reaper and they hopped on it quick. Free software? No cracks? Hell yeah!

Peace
Illumination
LAB are my people! haha... I'm sending some tracks out to Blanc and Gates tomorrow -

They moved to Atlanta for a while but just went back to the Cuse - They should be coming down here for a weekend soon to lay some sh!t down.

But yeah I've done some "mastering" (I use that term very lightly seeing as I'm not mastering engineer) aka compress for loudness for some of their mixtapes (most recently Dead Poet Society) and what one of the "engineers" they were working with did to some of the material was horrendous. This one cat put a delay on THE WHOLE SONG and said it was his "mixtape magic" and that he does that with all his mixtapes. Needless to say a few songs (some of which were over my beats ) couldn't be salvaged, but I had some of the other songs that I just flew in to replace that mixtape magic homeboy put on the mixes.

Talk about ********.

Any timeframe on when Reaper will offer a finished Mac version? I wouldn't mind giving it a go - I just don't want a buggy program, know what I mean?
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool

Here's the thing.
I offer mixing locally. The only problem is a lot of the producer types want to mix their own stuff. Plus because its not pro tools they frown on it. Thing is they own Pt le not tdm or hd. So wtf I have unlimited tracks they got however many.

I considered Pt but these guys never did anything special with their music burned a lot of bridges and released crap that they ended up mixing so no thank you. I usually charge 100 a song with unlimited recall. These dudes aint hearing that which to me is funny cuz established engineers charge like 4000 a track.
I stay frosty with working with rock groups. They like the low end my setup gives em.

I track em sometimes.

Reaper does the job well. As far as Mac the forum has a better grip on that than I do. A new pc costs 3 bills with good specs. A used one probably half as much.

I guess the saga continues. However as far as I know Reaper is the cheapest way to get into production and recording since u technically have to get a soundcard and your off and running.

The routing thing does seem curious. Ill have to try it. Have you tried getting someone to get you a macro? U want solo to only effect a certain set of outputs? Have u tried multing the tracks via pre fader post effect sends to a set of dupe tracks that are routed to independent outs? Here's the trick. Don't solo your guitar track. If you select all of YOUR tracks (not their sources) that you monitor in your control room minus the one you WANT to hear then hit mute you just (in effect) solo'd your track but not your player's mix.
Now you can tweak your guitar but only you can hear it solo'd!

Wow I love this program.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Mark that issue up to solved

Peace
Illumination
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sonar 7 and 8 are killing me. i upgraded thinking it would not be as buggy.
Sonar completely disappears leaving the icon the system tray. i cant stop in task manager. i have to reboot. the source of much frustration and drinking!
can someone tell me how the reaper midi editing compares to sonar?
i am thinking of jumping ship.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootietang6 ➑️
Sonar 7 and 8 are killing me. i upgraded thinking it would not be as buggy.
Sonar completely disappears leaving the icon the system tray. i cant stop in task manager. i have to reboot. the source of much frustration and drinking!
can someone tell me how the reaper midi editing compares to sonar?
i am thinking of jumping ship.
I don't know anything about midi editing in Sonar. I do know that its straight forward enough in reaper. Why don't you just download it and try it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Reaper's biggest issue is what illacov talks about... the same problem most daws have in a professional setting... it's not Pro Tools. But of course you can do what you need to do (somehow) in any of them, with different things being approached in different ways.

On the subject of the control room monitoring, switching, dimming, cue sends, etc, etc, ... afaik... no other daw has anything comparable to the Cubendo control room section. It's not perfect but it's darn close.

If there is something comparable it would probably be in SAW. I don't know that for sure but the SAW mixer is pretty darn close to a real world mixer from what I saw of it last time I demoed. I didn't specifically look for or test the control room section though, if it has one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
Reaper's biggest issue is what illacov talks about... the same problem most daws have in a professional setting... it's not Pro Tools. But of course you can do what you need to do (somehow) in any of them, with different things being approached in different ways.

On the subject of the control room monitoring, switching, dimming, cue sends, etc, etc, ... afaik... no other daw has anything comparable to the Cubendo control room section. It's not perfect but it's darn close.

If there is something comparable it would probably be in SAW. I don't know that for sure but the SAW mixer is pretty darn close to a real world mixer from what I saw of it last time I demoed. I didn't specifically look for or test the control room section though, if it has one.
I know and SAW is only like 9000 dollars. What's really good?

I say just get real abstract and you can damn near invent everything u miss in any daw if its coded well.

Peace
Illumination
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've started using reaper a few weeks ago and going from using cakewalk/sonar for 10 years. I already prefer doing a mixdowns in Reaper myself. I've not yet tried to do any serious tracking with it, that's going to happen this weekend though. I'm really happy with it so far.

I think they snagged me in as a Linux geek who noticed they touted it's running in wine. A bit of a sucker for anyone trying to get a good multitrack audio application running on Linux. I'm glad I tried it on my Windose DAW before I tinkered with it on my Linux desktop though. It's runs fast and stable for me in XP but I'm not impressed with it running in wine. Either way it's a great app and I'm exited that, this (unlike Cakewalk or anyone for that matter) has expressed an interest in Linux. It may not be spot yet for the linux solution yet, but they have my attention. Sometime in the nearish future I hope have an extra machine setup to be a dedicated Linux/Reaper experiment box. That and having sonic foundry sound forge 6 running stable and fast in wine, would be my ideal setup.
πŸ“ Reply