Quantcast
Some kind of a distortion to make a rap vocal rugged - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Some kind of a distortion to make a rap vocal rugged
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Some kind of a distortion to make a rap vocal rugged

I know hard compression can make a rap vocal sound rugged but i'm looking for something harder without the side effects of over compression which is a little muddiness in the mid low / low end. Some kind of a warm distortion.
Does anybody know good plugins for that purpose? VST.

Thanks
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sans amp is cool for plugin distortion.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You could always use an aux bus with a distortion plug in on it. Blend with the original vocal for desired effect. Maybe a lil eq on the dist aux also to sculpt the sound.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus ➑️
sans amp is cool for plugin distortion.
Not VST
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just putt a UA La-610 on a Sm7b/c4000b/c214 and put the Level of the tube mic pre more then 7 and putt some heavy T4 compression on it and boost the gain output and voila. Rugged, little bit disto voice right in your face.
No vsti/au/rtas needed to get it.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sometimes you really don't even need hard compression to get that in-your-face sound. Really fast attack (I'm talking like 1ms), threshold cranked down, low release, and a ratio not much more than 3:1 is really all you need.
Muddiness in the low mids you can just EQ out/down. Or just use a brighter mic

If you REALLY want the distortion, my advice (for what it's worth) would be to have one track compressed as I said above and a duplicate track with a ton of grimey distortion. Then just mix the two to taste and you have the best of both worlds.

As far as the actual distortion goes, if you have access to some good hardware then tube distortion is probably your best bet. If you're limited to plug-ins then some kind of megaphone effect works well when EQ-ed right (usually there's way too much high end in those). Or just mess around with the distortion presets in Logic or GarageBand (you might need some kind of noise reduction on those though because they're noisy as hell... "SSHHHHHHH" over everything). I've gotten some cool results from running things through Reason's Scream 4 distortion too. You can get some GRIMEY sounds from that thing. Old guitar distortion pedals are great too. You can find some for $20 at used music stores.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➑️
Just putt a UA La-610 on a Sm7b/c4000b/c214 and put the Level of the tube mic pre more then 7 and putt some heavy T4 compression on it and boost the gain output and voila. Rugged, little bit disto voice right in your face.
No vsti/au/rtas needed to get it.
it's all about the tube pre / sm7b combo.

i rock a sebatron vmp2000e with the sm7b, and drive that ****er hard. gets a nice aggressive sound.

cynic - Fireflood - SoundCloud

^^^ vox done with that combo. uad 1176 on the compression with a touch of uad plate verb.
Old 11th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I do this sometimes:

Make a duplicate of the track. Open it in sound editor. Over modulate it with a maximizer. Then mix it behind the orginal as much as ness. My rule of thumb is the less VSTs running to do stuff like this the better.

-f
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Camel Phat on an Aux send.
I use the filters in Camel phat to cut the low and high freqs where i don't want any distortion. I then ad tube and mech distortion to taste.
Blend that back with the orinal signal. It's Magical

-Alxi-
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cigarettes!

rollies..non filtered

and chicken wings..fried hard as sh*t!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideawakE ➑️
cigarettes!

rollies..non filtered

takes me back to bein 15 smokin beedies listenin to the fugees n **** hahah
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi ➑️
I use Camel Phat on an Aux send.
I use the filters in Camel phat to cut the low and high freqs where i don't want any distortion. I then ad tube and mech distortion to taste.
Blend that back with the orinal signal. It's Magical
Hey you know what this sounds like a great idea! I've seen that some distortion/saturation/harmonics plugs have a single-band mode where you can adjust the LP/HP filtering, but I never really gave a whole lotta thought as to the reasoning behind the settings. (I'm mean, I got what it was doing, just didn't think too hard about why I might wanna make use of that; I've usually used them in multi-band mode.)

Quote:
cigarettes!

rollies..non filtered
Ya... I remember when I was like 13, ripping the filter off a marlboro red to get a "really good buzz" off it.... and I puked.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eloheim.

It works in a lot of situation. Snare, vox, rhodes etc. You can even use it in your insert, not on a aux, cause it's got a mix knob.. further more you can even reintroduce the Band Rejection into the signal path via the BR Mix knob.

Camel Phat is realy a great plug

-Alxi-
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks I'll take a look at it. I've heard about it for a while but I've never seen it in action.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
massey tape
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the URS Saturation plug on input.
Crank it up with the right setting and off you go...but its up to you to find the right setting.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BBE's Sonic Screamer
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
DECAPITATOR... by soundtoys.. amazing plugin
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wouldn't it be much better to have a rugged M.C./Rapper who can spit with a naturally rugged voice? distortion is cool and all, but if the M.C./Rapper don't have that in them, no effect is gonna help them. I'm just saying tho' you can't get a smooth actor cat like Drake to sound like raw like Onyx if that's not his steeze in the first place.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Try to capture the energy, crazyness and aggressiveness while tracking. If thats not an option - copy the track, cut low end & apply UAD Fatso Sr. and use Tranny etc. And blend it in - like NY Compression
Old 23rd December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel ➑️
I know hard compression can make a rap vocal sound rugged but i'm looking for something harder without the side effects of over compression which is a little muddiness in the mid low / low end. Some kind of a warm distortion.
Does anybody know good plugins for that purpose? VST.

Thanks
Toneboosters Ferox, start with the tape compression setting. Rvox also works well for general super heavy, dirty compression.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just use decapitator
Old 24th December 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
cigarettes!

rollies..non filtered

Not that I'm endorsing doing this, but seriously this is how most 'hard' rappers get their voice so rough - by abusing it.
Old 24th December 2011

🎧 10 years
I hope the OP found his answer in the last 3 years.
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
How about the distortion found in this song?

"GOLD RIBBONS" by THE AIRPLANE BOYS - YouTube
πŸ“ Reply