Quantcast
Transient control and excitment to get a killer drum sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transient control and excitment to get a killer drum sound
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Transient control and excitment to get a killer drum sound

With so much information contained in the first few milliseconds of a drum sound, its often essential to enhance or modify the transient details so its sits correctly in the mix. Also given the slow transient response of some dynamic mics, you might find the natural transient properties evident on the original kit (and possibly still present in the overheads) somewhat compromised.

Although its possible to use a compressor for this kind of application (use a slow attack to enhance transients or a fast attack to reduce them), plug-ins such as Universal Audio's SPL Transient Designer or Sonnox's Transient Modulator have made the task of transient refinement far easier to achieve. The two elements that tend to benefit more from transient modification are the kick and snare.

For example, by raising the Ratio parameter on the Transient Modulator you can sharpen up the attack of your kick, creating a sound with far better definition and pulling it forward into the mix. The SPL Transient Designer also includes an additional sustain parameter - try this on a snare to increase the reletive body of the sound or even room mics to bring out more of the ambiance.

Using an enhancer or exciter can also push the two extremes of the kit - the sub of the kick and the sheen of the overheads and hi-hat - creating a more engaging overall sound. SSL's Drumstrip, for example, includes both LF and HF Enhancer sections, enabling you to create extra harmonic information for the kick and overheads, although you can create some interesting results by adding bite to a snare by using the HF Enhancer. With both Enhancers, the trick is to find the most appropriate frequency for the processor to work with, then dial in the corresponding amount of drive, and final mix % to create the sound your after.

For the kick, start of in the region of 50-100Hz, listening for the fundamental frequency contained in the original recording and the sweet spot where the low end really starts to pump. For HF enhancement, try to position the frequency parameter towards the upper end of the existing harmonic material (probably around 8-10kHz with the Enhancer creating a delicate amount of HF air.

Hope this helps any one who's drums are lacking that bit of punch, definition and clarity.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I shape just about every drum hit (esp kicks/snares/sub) once I have it tracked... shaack transient shaper is my vst of choice.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission ➑️
I shape just about every drum hit (esp kicks/snares/sub) once I have it tracked... shaack transient shaper is my vst of choice.

I heard alot about that shaak transient shaper. Most ppl like the SPL, what are your thoughts on the shaak compared to the SPL stuff
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
transients

This is where the stillwell transient plug shines.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
stillwell transient monster is the bomb, i used shaak before...

any1 got recomendations on any enchancer/exciter vst?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fn86 ➑️
stillwell transient monster is the bomb, i used shaak before...

any1 got recomendations on any enchancer/exciter vst?

Logic ships with an exciter thats pretty decent in moderation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves Trans X
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
messing around with the r comp uncompressor preset.
AON
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I like the Envelope Shaper in Cubase 4.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sonnox Transient shaper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm a recent convert to this thing.

These guys are the OG transient designers.

- c
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Waves Trans X

+1 It took me awhile to grasp it but I did and
it's in my chain in one way or another. Trans X multi
is pretty cool too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Waves TransX and Waves Doubler with the Drum Exciter preset.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➑️
Waves TransX and Waves Doubler with the Drum Exciter preset.
Oooh yeah!!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo ➑️
I heard alot about that shaak transient shaper. Most ppl like the SPL, what are your thoughts on the shaak compared to the SPL stuff
SPL came out right after I got rid of my UAD ... unless there's a native plug now, I haven't used it.

I like the Shaack (sp?) because it has a unique sound and for some reason, I really like the saturation on snares (never wanted to share that!). Not something I'd normally pay too much attention to but I've received good results almost accidentally.

The only other plugs I use outside of native Logic are the Stillwell plugs but I havent used the transient shaper... I kind of read the posts in amazement that I dont have it ("wait, what?!")!!

Another vote for Sonnox exciter... even the "enhance" function on the other plugs seem to add a nice shine in moderation. I might just be a victim of the "Easy" button but it definitely works in certain applications. (dont use them on mac - havent purchased)
πŸ“ Reply