Quantcast
How many folks here have released a record? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many folks here have released a record?
Old 13th February 2009
  #61
Lives for gear
 
antoniosolo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
record production

Back in the days when I was young-I'm not a kid anymore....back on point In the mid-west I wrote and produced alot of tunes for a RAP record label. Recorded on 3 adats/brc/32x8 mackie/ensonique ts12/asr10/rode etc. We traveled to ATL to the radio stations, promoted in-store/posters. Lots of fun, and ATL gentlemens clubs are STARK naked. Oh, the good old days!
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
bgrotto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosolo ➡️
and ATL gentlemens clubs are STARK naked. Oh, the good old days!
Hmmmm...I could probably convince ALL of my clients to take that route for promotion...heh
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
ORyan87's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➡️
Let's say u have a very good to great & relevant street or radio song (one song).

U gotta get this going for starters:

1. U have to own ur hood. Create a movement is ur goal. If u dont, none of ur next moves will stand up.
2. U have to get ur local mixshow radio dj's on board BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. Then move on to neighboring states radio mixshow dj's.
3. Do all shows in ur area (free if necessary). Beg or pay to open up for any big artists passing thru or in close by states.

Ur record being played by ur local mixshow dj's will insure u get shows and if ur hood is behind u people will feel the energy at ur shows and the movement will be born.

if u have some $tacks, some more moves can be made & some of the above can be easier and/or bigger.

Also, get next song ready. better be as good or better.
People don't know how important that is.......its very important.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #64
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hey , im just joinin up to this site.

So i thought id start here.
I'm from Eastern Canada, been through Record Engineering school & been producing music for 7 or 8 years.

Add Higga on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos is the site. I may or may not fit in with the hip hop community here.
I havent investigated enough.
All production by Me & Here's My Groups Page - Foot Clan on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Personally im promoting my second solo record right now
AddHigga - Debt From Above
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

& Hear's My Rosetta Stone Beat Tape:
Beats, ****er...

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

I've been riding the campus charts in my hometown for a bit, and am doing some big mailouts soon. Have been playing a lot of shows & give my cd away for free online to anyone.

I wont go into too much more. but the rules quoted above me are probably the best advice ive read for anyone trying to make an honest go at making it with their music.

Peesh yall. some feedback would be appreciated.
I'll be sticking around here for awhile.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #65
Gear Addict
 
Freematik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
My favorite rap tracks are the ones I do for other artists, but I'm not gonna drag them into a GS discussion. You can check out my own personal work here though:

freematik.bandcamp.com

and of course myspace: myspace.com/freematik

-Freematik
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
I guess I didn't get my question across clearly enough.



What I meant there was, I was noting that in other genres, the stylistic differences between the middle-tier guys and the super-stars are minimal. With hip hop, I've never heard a middle-tier that sounds like the top 40 radio stuff. The middle tier is more backpacker-oriented. It's a totally different sound, aesthetic, and often even a different philosophy. And a lotta the fans of those middle-tier acts can't stand the commercial stuff.

That leaves a lot of would-be up-and-comers in a kinda weird place. They wanna make music like their favorite commercial artists, but there's no outlet for them to do so unless they get to the top.

As for Sage, he's a perfect example: Sage operates on his own infrastructure, often touring with decidedly non-hip hop acts (who are also indies), and while he does really, really well, I suspect we'll never hear him played between Weezy and Luda on pop radio.

On the other hand, a successful underground band like the Sword tours the world with Metallica (a fellow metal band), playing to 100,000 people in football stadiums all over the world. They've been getting increasingly massive radio airplay over the course of this past year, and you could easily squeeze em between a couple established hard rock acts on the radio without them sticking out in an odd way.

So the quagmire is how can I help my commercially-oriented clients promote their records, what outlets do they use, and to whom do I suggest they promote to?

Does that make sense?

Next time I'm headed up to Boston, which will probably be in the Summer, I'll definitely hit you up. I toured with a group there called Human Wine. I want to do some more shows with them. That and a dude named Vice Versah owes me a gig trade. So it shouldn't be long.

It's a shame that Boston isn't friendly to it's own, but that's somewhat true of all cities. Even Jesus couldn't become a prophet in his home town. Lif is living in Fishtown (Philadelphia) now. I guess he got tired of Boston.

I know in Philly, you can definitely gain local fame and get on. From what I can tell, you have to know someone though.

My feeling, and this is what I'm doing for my next project, is instead of cutting full length albums, your artists would be better off cutting EPs, and using the rest of the money they have to buy press and do pay to play for big name artists. Nowadays, you gotta pay everybody - except the local and college radio. You really only need three songs: A dance oriented song, and intellectual song, and a street credit song.

Pushing a full length album is difficult.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
bgrotto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➡️
Next time I'm headed up to Boston, which will probably be in the Summer, I'll definitely hit you up. I toured with a group there called Human Wine. I want to do some more shows with them. That and a dude named Vice Versah owes me a gig trade. So it shouldn't be long.

It's a shame that Boston isn't friendly to it's own, but that's somewhat true of all cities. Even Jesus couldn't become a prophet in his home town. Lif is living in Fishtown (Philadelphia) now. I guess he got tired of Boston.

I know in Philly, you can definitely gain local fame and get on. From what I can tell, you have to know someone though.

My feeling, and this is what I'm doing for my next project, is instead of cutting full length albums, your artists would be better off cutting EPs, and using the rest of the money they have to buy press and do pay to play for big name artists. Nowadays, you gotta pay everybody - except the local and college radio. You really only need three songs: A dance oriented song, and intellectual song, and a street credit song.

Pushing a full length album is difficult.
You toured with Humanwine? Heh, [email protected] and Holly lived in my studio's parking lot all summer in their converted school bus. Good people!

Was Brian Viglione playing drums with them when you were doing shows with them? He's the man.

So, speaking of your next project, how's about you come up my way to do one of them EPs?heh
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
  #68
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Frankie Wainwright, Slaine, etc.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
You toured with Humanwine? Heh, [email protected] and Holly lived in my studio's parking lot all summer in their converted school bus. Good people!

Was Brian Viglione playing drums with them when you were doing shows with them? He's the man.

So, speaking of your next project, how's about you come up my way to do one of them EPs?heh
No. This was almost a year ago, and I seem to recall they had a sub drummer for some reason. They actually had a couple sub players, they played with a violist who I don't think was a core member either. And the bass player played bass guitar, not upright. I know the guitar player, Matt was an original member. And Holly, who is one of the coolest people ever. It was a weird set of shows. Iron Horse got cancelled, different musicians showed up at different times. The fans were actually more consistent. I saw a lot of familiar faces in the crowd.

Yeah man, I'm definitely down to roll on up to mass to cut an ep. We should probably take this conversation to personal messages at this point.


Um yeah..... releasing full length albums (?). It's tough stuff.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
  #70
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosolo ➡️
Lots of fun, and ATL gentlemens clubs are STARK naked. Oh, the good old days!
Cheetah FTW!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 68 views: 8554
Avatar for RyanC
RyanC 23rd March 2011
replies: 78 views: 7006
Avatar for Neodym
Neodym 4th June 2012
replies: 7 views: 999
Avatar for mpctutor
mpctutor 27th May 2015
replies: 27703 views: 2474974
Avatar for cresshead
cresshead 3 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump