Quantcast
Reaper vs. Ableton Live 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper vs. Ableton Live 7
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Reaper vs. Ableton Live 7

I wanted to know which software was better for sequencing vsti and and other midi features. I know Reaper is good on the audio but for overall music production which is the best. Any help?
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Anybody?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Son, you should look into Sony ACID Pro 7.
There's ZERO latency from a hi-speed gold USB 2.0 10-foot cable that connects to the computer from the MIDI keyboard controller.

Give it a whirl, man.

You can make sequences VSTi's on ACID Pro 7, too.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
My suggestion is you download the demos (unlike Cubase/Nuendo, you can actually try these and others out before you buy them), see which one works best with your way of thinking, buy it and use it.

HTH
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergroove ➑️
I wanted to know which software was better for sequencing vsti and and other midi features. I know Reaper is good on the audio but for overall music production which is the best. Any help?
Better to who? To me nothing beats Ableton Live. But that's MY opinion. Many people feel completely different. There is no best, only what's best for you. So as "Spy!" already said, download the demo's of both and see which works better for you.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I am trying Reaper now is ok on the midi end. I have not got into Live just yet. I was told that the sequencer is better on live for vsti
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried Live once and i couldn,t get my head around it.
I have been trying Reaper for a few weeks and allthought the midi features are a bit on the limited side it handles low latency, and multicore way much better than Sonar 7 wich is usually my go to daw for composition.

With a 64 buffer i can have easily 4 to 5 rompler loaded, no latency, no cracks and pops. With Sonar if i get more then 2 usually i have to start freezing tracks.

-Alxi-

Last edited by Alxi; 10th February 2009 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: typos
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Not meaning to hijack -- but I need a simple DAW "cheap" in my old G4, for tracking in my studio for other folks who use it. Complicated. I have set up other users accounts and for some reason DP won't launch on their accounts. So I thought of putting something else like Reaper. I put Ardour in there. Any opinions on Ardour and how it compares to Reaper?

Sorry.

BTW I have Live 7 and have had Live since version 2. But I still cant get my head around it. It's just not for me, yet.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I am trying out Live now and i am having a hard time getting around it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Alxi how is the midi in Reaper compared to Live
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To Henry and Alxi,

Live takes a bit of time to understand. Maybe not as much as it's taken Henry overall but it's something I think most hip hop producers sleep on because they don't get it. But once you do get it, it's pretty fukkin incredible. I would suggest looking on Ableton's website and youtube for all the videos you can find. If you still don't get it, try one of the video tutorials. I believe ask video has a pretty good one for starters.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➑️
To Henry and Alxi,

Live takes a bit of time to understand. Maybe not as much as it's taken Henry overall
I've used it to augment my jazz band. For me it was a headache. But I can see where it's very cool, especially for a guy who's working alone or in the studio, virtual for the most part.

I had wanted to use it as a 6th member of the group, - which CAN work. It's just very time consuming. And for me, I need someone else to help and operate it on stage. Too many foot pedals for me makes Henry a dull guitarist!

Basically I GET it, although I have to work with it some more. I programmed about 9 songs, scenes I could click for solos, -- time stretching. Cool concept. Maybe 7 is way hipper.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have tried Live and Reaper. I went with Live because it so much easier to use and fun. You have to spend about 2 days with the manual and then you are set.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
I've used it to augment my jazz band. For me it was a headache. But I can see where it's very cool, especially for a guy who's working alone or in the studio, virtual for the most part.

I had wanted to use it as a 6th member of the group, - which CAN work. It's just very time consuming. And for me, I need someone else to help and operate it on stage. Too many foot pedals for me makes Henry a dull guitarist!

Basically I GET it, although I have to work with it some more. I programmed about 9 songs, scenes I could click for solos, -- time stretching. Cool concept. Maybe 7 is way hipper.
I understand. It was a headache for me to the first time I used it as my keyboard player. But then I figured out how to have the scene up and down buttons be assigned to only 2 pedals on my foot controller. One for "up" and one for "down". After that it was just a matter of putting the tracks/scenes in the correct order and a little practicing. I think when my EP is done and I start playing live again, I might just have the whole thing run off Live with a click track going to the drummer and the keys/synths/soundscapes triggered at the perfect time without me having to touch anything.

EDIT: I just realized that you were talking about your Jazz band. DOH! If there are a lot of improve going on in your group, I can see how that can be more difficult and time consuming than my rock stuff..
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Ryst.

I think i may give it another shot. I sadly have time for it right now. The buziness has been slow for the last two weeks :(

Intergroove.

I did'nt have the time to play much with live cause it gave me an headhache lol. But the midi in Reaper is pretty straight foward.

The thing about reaper is that it's design to work for alot of different work flow ,i think, so i had to read the manual and save the settings to the way i was use to work. from there everything was pretty easy.

The midi has all the basic fonction. Quantise, quantise input,swing, humanise etc.. nothing revolutionnary but i personnaly just play the keys, do my drums with Guru and record my bass live. I have no use of ultra expended midi features. I just had to get use to the diffent key bindings and the different name for some founctions.

If you are on a multicore ( wich i presume you are ) the handeling is awsom compared to other DAW and Reaper it self is easy on the CPU.

Hope it helps

-Alxi-

Last edited by Alxi; 11th February 2009 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➑️
But then I figured out how to have the scene up and down buttons be assigned to only 2 pedals on my foot controller. One for "up" and one for "down".
Right on. People sleep on this but its key! You could hook up one one knob to the up/down controls on the scenes, and have another scroll left/right through your tracks if you do it right (I believe). Then you could use the two knobs together to get to any clip box on the screen and record or play with the press of a button.

Or, alternatively, you could have set up one button (on your computer keyboard/midi controller buttons/piano keys/etc.) for each tracks play/rec/etc. "virtual switch." Then put the scene up/down on the foot pedals like ryst said. Now obviously you could use the foot pedals to select the scene you wanted to record into, then press the button of the track that your "instrument's" on. To record another time, just press the down pedal once and press the same button again. Sorry if this sounds nonsensical but it's hard to explain with words and no picture examples. I think people who use Live should get what I'm talking about though.

I wonder how it'd be with a midi expression foot pedal?!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yes, I did this too. But I had more than those two, because I had certain sections that were different and to far away to get to quickly just by up/down. But I was using a Mitigator foot pedal, which only gives you 6 or 7 choices per song, or I could set up a universal, making all song the same.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what's better than Live 7? Live 8 of course. lol

πŸ“ Reply