Quantcast
Rawkus and D&D Studios - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rawkus and D&D Studios
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Rawkus and D&D Studios

The music created at these studios is what I personally feel hiphop is supposed to sound like.

The production credits and emcees were really diverse, but to my ears they still maintained signature sounds. Obviously that sound changed from era to era (Sound Bombing I vs II vs Internal Affairs vs Funcrusherplus vs Reflection Eternal) (gangstarr, krs albums 2-4, bcc).

Any one know what gear they were using as far as mics, pres, consoles, etc? What were the main workhorses? (not including preems Mophatt, S950, and MPC60). Just talking about vocal chains.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsuthaironchef ➑️
The music created at these studios is what I personally feel hiphop is supposed to sound like.

The production credits and emcees were really diverse, but to my ears they still maintained signature sounds. Obviously that sound changed from era to era (Sound Bombing I vs II vs Internal Affairs vs Funcrusherplus vs Reflection Eternal) (gangstarr, krs albums 2-4, bcc).

Any one know what gear they were using as far as mics, pres, consoles, etc? What were the main workhorses? (not including preems Mophatt, S950, and MPC60). Just talking about vocal chains.
Console was an old MCI early 500 series
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
d&d's sound was mainly from the MCI console and the Sony 2" 24trk tape machine. they had stuff like alesis midiverbs, dbx comps, yamaha reverbs, lexicon (think it was a pcm42), roland delays.

that's what was behind the sound at d&d. no matter what samplers, keybords, instruments the songs were done with it all went thru those processes.

I remember Rawkus using the cutting room studios which was downstairs & next door. mostly studio b with the 2" tape machine (dont remember the console they had then).

No protools or any DAW back then for either

both had all the mics u need. I remember u87's and akg 414's back then more than anything
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I remember Rawkus using the cutting room studios which was downstairs & next door. mostly studio b with the 2" tape machine (dont remember the console they had then).
So Rawkus didn't own their own spot? As many projects as they came out with it seems like it would be cost effective to build their own as opposed to renting blocks of time from already established spots.

Nothing like that 2" tape huh? I've never had the pleasure of hearing my self on the good stuff.

Did either of you ever actually see the inside of D&D or a golden era Rawkus session?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsuthaironchef ➑️
So Rawkus didn't own their own spot? As many projects as they came out with it seems like it would be cost effective to build their own as opposed to renting blocks of time from already established spots.

Did either of you ever actually see the inside of D&D or a golden era Rawkus session?
worked in d&d a few times.

had a friend doing promo for rawkus back then. It was cost effective for them as they passed the cost of the albums to the artists without having to lease a space & maintain a consoled studio w/ staff.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
used to love the sound of rawkus' records. i believe premiere has d&d now. kind of has his own sound. nice and gritty. def has his own spot in the industry. mvp is 1 of my fav on luda's cd.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was an engineer/assistant at the Cutting Room in 1999 and at the time when i was there we had an SSL G+ console. Before that the Cutting Room had a Soundcraft but i don't remember what model.

Ariel Borujow
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➑️
worked in d&d a few times.

had a friend doing promo for rawkus back then. It was cost effective for them as they passed the cost of the albums to the artists without having to lease a space & maintain a consoled studio w/ staff.
The owners were real cool too.
Nice vibe all around.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Wow.. thats memories! I used to work at duck down/priority records when I was DJing to get exclusive records. I remember carrying those heavy ass reels back n forth to D&D. I also remember meeting Buckshot and thinking to myself, "damn this is a little ass dude!" It really had the feel of an underground hip hop studio.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by westward728 ➑️
I was an engineer/assistant at the Cutting Room in 1999 and at the time when i was there we had an SSL G+ console. Before that the Cutting Room had a Soundcraft but i don't remember what model.

Ariel Borujow

it was the soundcraft 3200 in the A ROOM and DC2000 in the B room

D&D also had the AMEK mozart in one of the room and i believe the mci was a 636.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
i bought a dbx 160 from doug grama for nostalgia

some great records made in that place.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
B Boy Document 99

I mixed B Boy Document 99 from Soundbombing II at The Cutting Room, Studio A on a Soundcraft 3200 console. the song was recorded to tape. as far as i know the producer just used an MPC, though its been a long time. I have no idea what outboard i used on the mix, but Cutting Room had Tube Tech EQ's, 1176, PCM 70, and a ton of other stuff. wish i could tell you more.

I was paid with a hooded Rawkus sweatshirt. a blue one, i wore it yesterday. At the time i was trading the studio engineering time for studio time, so they probably got paid for my services. I was swapping 1 hour for 1 hour, and i think i spent 5 or 6 hours on that mix, so i probably got 6 hours of "free" studio time and a sweatshirt. But i was happy. I still get people buggin out when they see that on my resume and thats worth way more than anything they could have paid me at the time.

I did some other mixing for Rawkus at D&D and Cutting Room but i dont really remember what for. D&D was REALLY grimey and half the **** didnt work. I ran up in there with 2 racks full out outboard that always traveled with me wherever i mixed. I cant remember now who came into the room there, i think it was a producer named "Black Moon", but i'm not sure at all, and he was listening for a bit, and in utter seriousness he said to me "Yo, **** aint supposed to sound that good comin out of D&D" i guess they had grimey standards to maintain
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They did have some good sounds coming out of there thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➑️
I mixed B Boy Document 99 from Soundbombing II at The Cutting Room, Studio A on a Soundcraft 3200 console. the song was recorded to tape....I still get people buggin out when they see that on my resume and thats worth way more than anything they could have paid me at the time.
man i didn't know that. love that track. consider me buggin out too.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I mixed B Boy Document 99 from Soundbombing II at The Cutting Room, Studio A on a Soundcraft 3200 console.

I still get people buggin out when they see that on my resume and thats worth way more than anything they could have paid me at the time.
Cool, I had no idea you mixed that Ken, that's an amazing track.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... and i think i spent 5 or 6 hours on that mix, so i probably got 6 hours of "free" studio time and a sweatshirt. But i was happy.
This is too cool!

Great song BTW!
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Those hoodies are very desirable.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I mixed B Boy Document 99 from Soundbombing II
One of the best songs off of that classic album.

Quote:
I was paid with a hooded Rawkus sweatshirt. a blue one
Wow. That is impressive.

Quote:
cant remember now who came into the room there, i think it was a producer named "Black Moon",
Haha. The gearslutz hiphop heads are funny. I think that was Diamond D or The Beatminaz maybe? Black Moon is a group, I guess that was before DuckDown when they were still with Rawkus.

Ken Lewis: A man that has truly paid dues. I salute you.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Those hoodies are very desirable.
I ordered a Rawkus record bag from the cd jacket of Black Star. Thank god for the 90's all ten of em.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So I have a question for all you vets that had the privelage of being exposed to 2 of the greatest movements/sounds from the golden era, how much of your music is still influenced by D&D/Rawkus style hiphop today?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I mixed B Boy Document 99 from Soundbombing II

great record and a nice mix!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How bout the Brooklyn Basement? Any one ever see the inside of that place? Wasn't "The Score" and Capital Punishment recorded there?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
score by fugees? was recorded in their private home studio in east orange, nj. was a basement in the crib and another room on first floor with a yamaha 02R. sure they mixed at hit factory.

Did some stuff with clefs brother & sister for a summer but they mixed all their stuff at chung king. also recorded some stuff into a roland 16trk digital all in one in the lounge there.

capital punishment by pun? was recorded everywhere- battery, sony, hit factory
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
score by fugees? was recorded in their private home studio in east orange, nj. was a basement in the crib and another room on first floor with a yamaha 02R. sure they mixed at hit factory.

Did some stuff with clefs brother & sister for a summer but they mixed all their stuff at chung king. also recorded some stuff into a roland 16trk digital all in one in the lounge there.

You guys are wealth of knowledge.

Quote:
capital punishment by pun? was recorded everywhere- battery, sony, hit factory
it sounds like it too. great album tho. one of my favorites of all time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I mixed B Boy Document 99...
dope, i remember buying that!

full credits:
High & The Mighty, The* - B-Boy Document / Mind, Soul & Body (12") at Discogs
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yea, Sound Bombing II is still the greatest hiphop compilation ever. The last time we would ever hear el-p/coflo on a rawkus project. I shot the mayor is one of Pharoahes best. The late 90's was a time of extremes. Cash Money got their start, No Limit was as its zenith, Stones Throw and Def Jux stormed the indies.

I actually saw the Bboy document video on a skate tape first. Forget which one it was.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is a great post.

You listen to something like b-boy document and it's heaven. I don't get how people say that **** is out dated. It is STILL great music. 100% timeless. That **** still sounds nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry gotta reminiscence....

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yea, D&D and Rawkus pretty much set my standard as far as what the music is supposed to sound like.

I've always used them as the gold standard. Not to say that I want to emulate them, just meet the standard. Like I would ask my self when I first started rhyming, "am I projecting my voice so that it's moving like Krs?"

[Youtube]2NmygFf1_ik&feature=related[Youtube]

Are my patterns and delivery as nice as Pharoahes?
[Youtube]BbFVp6ifTOw[Youtube]

Am I pushin the envelope of rawness like Coflo?
[Youtube]FwevDEfhHM0&feature=related[Youtube]

What's funny is that I had no idea how to achieve a quality RECORD. The stuff I was doing back then sounds like it was recorded on a tascam or fostex 8 track and a mic we took from a karaoke machine...cus it was. haha

I'm impressed with the gear list you guys mentioned from D&D and Cutting Room. I hate the notion that underground means "lesser quality" or "ameture". Raw doesn't have to mean bad quality.

So since I'm not at all interested in spending 20 g's on a Soundcraft console and a reel to reel, what modern hardware and software would you guys use to achieve that sound? (as close as possible obviously)

I've heard great things about the UA 2192.

Last edited by ginsuthaironchef; 10th February 2009 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: computer e liter eecee
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How come my youtube links dont work? I'm supposed to post the link like so YOUTUBE Link here YOUTUBE right?
πŸ“ Reply