Rawkus and D&D Studios - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rawkus and D&D Studios
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsuthaironchef ➡️
Special Ed might be the least intimidating emcee of all time.
Yeah, he was completely un intimidating in any way until he pulled out a razor. Oh yeah, his producer also had a brand new 9 milli that he pulled out of the box in the middle of the mix to "show me his new gun", to which i said "dude, put it back in the box", and he said "its cool, its unloaded", to which i said "put that $hit back in the box". However, even though me and the producer hit it off great, dont think i wasnt aware that there was a gun in the studio and the only two studio employees in the building were me and the sandwich throwing away, had to admit to it, idiot intern. Would have been just my luck to be killed over $2. Those were (not) the days. -Ken
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The Game

Personally...I think the game is over and done with cuz these kids are the ones buying and they dont understand the music from our era just like our parents didnt understand where we were coming from...think about it...we sound just like them when they used to call our music "noise"...since real hip hop is not gonna be commercially marketed...we are left to find it wherever we can and that partial support may not be enough to sustain the artists lifestyle and thus he will not continue to put out music...I dont care how much u love the music...it still costs to record, mix, master, press/upload, promote, and distribute it so no one can do it successfully for free...On topic tho...i dont know how long the O.P. has been listening to hip hop but the 90's was not the golden era...the 80's was the pure unadulterated sh*t...damn near everything that came out was crack cuz skillz were a prerequisite once LL couldnt live without his radio...Rakim, Krs, G Rap, Kane, Masta Ace, Poobah and a bunch of others were articulate and intelligent...go back and listen...these brothers are clear and enunciated. the whole rhyme stays within context, not only in correlation to each verse, but with the title of the song. When the 90's came, the beats became more creative but with the exception of Big, Jay, Jada, Em, Canibus and a few others...the lyrical quality and content had gone down dramatically...To be honest, i never was a fan of them back pack rappers...they all had as much skills as Nore IMO and when i used to battle them they just didnt make sense or their style was trash.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down ➡️
that was

special ed
"We on a Mission, we on a Mission, jet jetted in the jet"
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Great thread, keep the stories coming Ken!
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee ➡️
can't remember if i recall that 12" gonna have to track it down i think its on a 2008 mix LP called The Wreckshop Philly Golden Era Vol. 1, sure that a GS user, assemblyworker, or maybe ppl from his camp, had something to do with that 2008 mix LP. I will try to get a hold of one.
The Wreckshop mix was done by Aroe & The Soundmakers - assemblyworker is part of that crew.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck ➡️
Great thread, keep the stories coming Ken!
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away...... oh, i see, you mean industry stories.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always felt the golden era was...

87-92. Run DMC, Marley Marl to Pete Rock and Premier. There were many many nice groups. All using sounds off records and lyrics that were funky.
Word.

But there is still good hip hop here and there.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hello
DJ Premier has a little info on D+D studios.Also golden era was from 87 till 9 nov 93,the day ATCQ Midnight Marauders & WU 36 chambers came out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_town ➡️
Hello
DJ Premier has a little info on D+D studios.Also golden era was from 87 till 9 nov 93,the day ATCQ Midnight Marauders & WU 36 chambers came out.
****, midnight marauders.
one of the VERY few hip hop albums i can keep listening to.
i mean the ENTIRE album, not just a couple of tracks.

hey dtown, that premier interview is nice! totally explains what a true hip hop "producer"'s mentality should be about imo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
****, midnight marauders.
one of the VERY few hip hop albums i can keep listening to.
i mean the ENTIRE album, not just a couple of tracks.
Great album but I have an shared opinion that will not be popular with the self proclaimed "real hip hop heads" (never knew what that was) or hip hop gatekeppers who think they r more hip hop than the next man (I grew in the bronx during the 1980's 5min from bronx river projects- u aint more hip hop than me):

Midnight maruaders was a double edge sword for the underground. That album was so beloved the underground tried to keep remaking it for almost 10 years. The underground became a retro sound stuck on that album. Before that the underground would push thru the new styles into the mainstream- Jayz, nas, kool g rap, wutang, BIG, mobb deep, black moon, dre, redman, gangstarr, common, keith murray, etc where all underground artists who pushed thru to change the mainstream and changed the radio format. Once the underground got stuck on midnight marauders for those years the music game had next to no new underground movements push thru to change the mainstream format.
It was during these years that the underground, who couldnt push thru to mainstream with the retro sound, began the hate movement against the mainstream with statements like sales dont matter (of course they dont when u get none. but they do matter when u wanna keep doing music for a living). That division has done no good for the music industry.

All because of that one great album- Midnight Marauders heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➡️
Great album but I have an shared opinion that will not be popular with the self proclaimed "real hip hop heads" (never knew what that was) or hip hop gatekeppers who think they r more hip hop than the next man (I grew in the bronx during the 1980's 5min from bronx river projects- u aint more hip hop than me):

Midnight maruaders was a double edge sword for the underground. That album was so beloved the underground tried to keep remaking it for almost 10 years. The underground became a retro sound stuck on that album. Before that the underground would push thru the new styles into the mainstream- Jayz, nas, kool g rap, wutang, BIG, mobb deep, black moon, dre, redman, gangstarr, common, keith murray, etc where all underground artists who pushed thru to change the mainstream and changed the radio format. Once the underground got stuck on midnight marauders for those years the music game had next to no new underground movements push thru to change the mainstream format.
It was during these years that the underground, who couldnt push thru to mainstream with the retro sound, began the hate movement against the mainstream with statements like sales dont matter (of course they dont when u get none. but they do matter when u wanna keep doing music for a living). That division has done no good for the music industry.

All because of that one great album- Midnight Marauders heh
interesting view, but i'm not sure all this was initiated by the release of midnight marauders.
these frustrated backpackers still would've emerged without this album, it already was a movement that dominated hip hop for a while. and as with all movements... bound to slow down sooner or later.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
interesting view, but i'm not sure all this was initiated by the release of midnight marauders.
these frustrated backpackers still would've emerged without this album, it already was a movement that dominated hip hop for a while. and as with all movements... bound to slow down sooner or later.

Just a point of view shared by a few. More realistically it was probably just timing.

my point is Jay-z, Nas, BIG et all were originally part of the backpacker crowd in NYC. They graduated and pushed thru to become the new mainstream with the support of that crowd and so did the others i mentioned in earlier post. Then that type of graduation movement just stopped and the type of music now being dominated in the underground sounded alot like midnight marauder type music.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➡️
Just a point of view shared by a few. More realistically it was probably just timing.

my point is Jay-z, Nas, BIG et all were originally part of the backpacker crowd in NYC. They graduated and pushed thru to become the new mainstream with the support of that crowd and so did the others i mentioned in earlier post. Then that type of graduation movement just stopped and the type of music now being dominated in the underground sounded alot like midnight marauder type music.
true
also... since it all goes in circles... imo it's time for it to make a return and become mainstream again.
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This has been a fun read. I'm not into hip-hop (all together) anymore, nor have been for about ten years now. But I still remember Mos Def killing it over Joe Thomas.

As an outsider, I want to point out....

Everyone here realizes that Hip-Hop thrives on people talking about how " it isn't the same as it used to be", or on and on's about "real hip-hop"? I've been hearing this since the 80's.

I think it's interesting, over a decade later, hearing people discuss Rawkus and bringing up notions like "real hip hop has been squashed by money and mainstream rap" when every other rap on a Rawkus record was about "real hip hop has been squashed by money and mainstream rap".

And I still don't get the concept of "underground" hip-hop.

20,000 record sales is considered a success in the indie market. Many of the hip-hop records you guys are talking about were hitting gold....sometimes platinum.

Don't get me wrong. I listened to hip-hop for a strong decade, and it definitely led me into a strong half of the music I appreciate now....and I'm not just talking about Skull Snaps and Manzel. I'm not criticizing, just pointing out.

Anyway, while on the subject, anybody else remember that Polyrhythm Addicts album that came out right around the end of the Rawkus era? Right up that alley, and nicely so.
Old 4th March 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I OWN A SOUNDCRAFT 3200 AT MY STUDIO IN LOS ANGELES. IT'S CURRENTLY FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN PURCHASING IT'S. $11,000.00 OBO.

[email protected]
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
great thread!

I've heard great things about the UA 2192.[/QUOTE]

that is a great unit, but as you know very expensive...

might be better to get an apogee and spend your saved dollars elsewhere.
📝 Reply