Quantcast
Possible to DeEss vocal within a song? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Possible to DeEss vocal within a song?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Possible to DeEss vocal within a song?

I recently had a song mastered and noticed there is one word in the song that really pierces the ear at high volumes due to the 'sss' sound... not sure how it was overlooked in the mix.

Is there a way to address that without causing any issues with the rest of the track?
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewDUDE ➡️
I recently had a song mastered and noticed there is one word in the song that really pierces the ear at high volumes due to the 'sss' sound... not sure how it was overlooked in the mix.

Is there a way to address that without causing any issues with the rest of the track?
A good mastering engineer can usually take care of that. Can you go back to him and ask if he can fix that? If not, go back to the mix and take care of it and then get it re-mastered.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

A simple DeEsser on the track, automated so it's only engaged during that one word, should do the trick. You could even use it in MS mode, affecting only the middle channel, to kill the sibilance on that word without messing too much with anything else.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewDUDE ➡️

Insert de esser on track.. find frequency you want to target.i
in bypass mode.
Automation /write.
Play track...engage de esser on the part you want it to kick in and hit bypass when dne
Playback...voila!!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…