Quantcast
mixing video - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mixing video
Old 9th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
mixing video

does anybody have a tutorial video about how to mix a rap song? something i could use as a guide?? thx
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkmuzik ➑️
does anybody have a tutorial video about how to mix a rap song? something i could use as a guide?? thx
just like there is no special mic for rap vocals there is no special way to mix a rap song
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

It's easy: just cut 500 Hz on everything and boost 2.5k and 12k by 3dB (but use a shelf at 12k). Parallel compress the drums using a 10:1 ratio, .1ms attack, 30ms release, and apply 5 db makeup gain.

Then, use a Waves C4 plug on the mix bus using the "pop vocal" setting, and apply 6dB of limiting via L2.

Boo yah. You now sound like EXACTLY like Tony Maserati. (PM me if you wanna know how to mix like Segal; his approach is a bit different).

PS - if you wanna know how to produce like Shawty Red, I can tell you that, too, but it'll cost you. PM for details)

Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
search for Logic 403 Mixing R&B by David Isaac, its not much but it'll get you started
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To me there's no such thing as a Mixing video/book, you cant tell someone how to mix something. Most of those videos and books are for situational purposes. I think you need to head to a studio, try to get a internship, and be on your way. There's nothing like the hands on experience
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo ➑️
To me there's no such thing as a Mixing video/book, you cant tell someone how to mix something. Most of those videos and books are for situational purposes. I think you need to head to a studio, try to get a internship, and be on your way. There's nothing like the hands on experience

+1. You could also start by getting the basic procedures understood( how to do this, how to do that, when do I compress, when not to compress etc.).

Listen to styles and genres you want to emulate and start experimenting. Train your ears. Try to duplicate what you hear. You got to get the basics first.

And by all means check the posts here and meditate on them until you start to get it.
πŸ“ Reply