Quantcast
arrrrrrghhhhhh help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
arrrrrrghhhhhh help!
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
arrrrrrghhhhhh help!

i have stressed myself for far too long (4 months) without recording at all. i need to record NOW!!!

ive managed to get an old macbook (one with firewire) specs:

2.16 ghz
2gb ram
and its the merom macbook from mid 2007 so i guess no problems like people have with the later models

it will do for the minute.

now ive got the mic but im on a very tight budget so the apogee is out of the window (please dont tell me to buy the duet as its the "only option". im likely to end up being sectioned if you do)

ive got around Β£220 ($325) so the firebox is right in my range.

ive read mountains of reviews on audio interfaces over the last week and all i seem to find is bad things on everything im even thinking of buying.

all im doing is recording one mic. i have no experience with sound so i guess i wont notice too much difference in the pres etc. all i want is a good/reliable device (if thats possible for my price range)

thank you in advance and thank you for saving my head even more stress!

peace
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Why not get a Digidesign M Box. You get all the Pro Tools software with that and it will sound pretty decent
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
do you mean the old one? or the mbox 2?

isnt the m audio profire 610 a better interface?

so far my choices have been rounded down to:

m audio profire 610...

edirol fa66...

echo audiofire 4...

firebox (though im seriously going off this)

m audio fast track ultra

ive been on lots of sites and these seem the top choice for my price. im just unsure which one lol
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've used the firewire 410 from M-audio for about 2 years now and it works great. If you only have one mic that might be a nice option for you.

I used it with Pro Tools 7 and 6. Had issues with 6 but not 7. I'm pretty sure it was just a learning process with 6 though as it seemed to work nicely after learning more about it.

What DAW are you planning to use? Some interfaces work better with others.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
this has been a dilemma also.

i was thinking if i got an m audio product i may aswell get literate in protools

my engineer uses protools so i guess i could pick things up from him while watching him weave his magic lol

but then i heard protools isnt great for making beats... (which is what id like to start doing too)
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
protools isnt great for making beats? lol who told you that?

if you already have an engineer though, why dont you just record with him?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
one of the many people im forced to listen too as they have far more experience in producing/engineering than i do

the reason i cant record with my engineer all the time is cause i write far more bars/songs than i can afford to record. plus i have this handicap of not knowing how something sounds until ive layed it on the track. this is a real pain and if only i could do rough copies at home (but still a good enough quality where i could hit off dj's with freestyles) **** would be unbelievably beneficial to my music.

all in all having a set up at home is time saving/money saving and will eventually help me in my craft enabling me to make better music

i will always record with my engineer as he's one of the best around but i need to know that im goin to the studio with the best of my work as i got a **** to good ratio of 5:1 (out of every 5 i make 1 will be good lol) and when i dont have much money to record with in the first place alot of the time it rips the love out of me when i go the studio spending money to make like 1 good joint when ive gone there with half an albums worth of ish
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I think you have the correct idea, try to learn from your engineer. If you think he is making a good sound then work out how you can achieve this too, it's the best way to learn.
If he uses Pro Tools, I would consider going that way. You could take arrangements to his studio which could be handy.
I use PT to make beats along with Ableton Live as a plug in and it works for me. The elastic audio in PT is really good too. i also think the sound quality from Pro Tools is definitely better than other DAW's I've used too.
Lives for gear

Sigh...

Hire a professional.

Or, check my sig...

Seriously, though, you have a system waaaaay more powerful than what most pros had just ten years ago. It's not really an issue of gear, but of experience and skill.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Sigh...

Hire a professional.

Or, check my sig...

Seriously, though, you have a system waaaaay more powerful than what most pros had just ten years ago. It's not really an issue of gear, but of experience and skill.
i always search the previous posts fam. maybe doing that is one of the reasons i got my head in such a twist lol

and if you read my post fully you would know the reason im gettin a set up at home is because i cant afford to pay the professional as it is :P

but your right, experience will help me more than gear right now. im gona do a short course to get the ball rolling and grab a few books too

i think protools and the profire is the one for me
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandaluk ➑️
i always search the previous posts fam. maybe doing that is one of the reasons i got my head in such a twist lol

and if you read my post fully you would know the reason im gettin a set up at home is because i cant afford to pay the professional as it is :P
Wanna make a career outta music? If so, plan on investing a LOT to get started. It's a labor of love; it ain't easy, and it especially ain't cheap. I myself have spent tens of thousands. The cool thing is, I make my living off this ****!

You gotta spend money to get money in this biz, no doubt. Save whatchya got, and invest it where you think you'll find the biggest returns (as a producer-to-be, you'll probably find that means hiring a pro studio). Budget to lose money at first, and earn a profit later.

Good luck, homie.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i have stressed myself for far too long (4 months) without recording at all. i need to record NOW!!!

ive managed to get an old macbook (one with firewire) specs:

2.16 ghz
2gb ram
and its the merom macbook from mid 2007 so i guess no problems like people have with the later models

it will do for the minute.

now ive got the mic but im on a very tight budget so the apogee is out of the window (please dont tell me to buy the duet as its the "only option". im likely to end up being sectioned if you do)

ive got around Β£220 ($325) so the firebox is right in my range.

ive read mountains of reviews on audio interfaces over the last week and all i seem to find is bad things on everything im even thinking of buying.

all im doing is recording one mic. i have no experience with sound so i guess i wont notice too much difference in the pres etc. all i want is a good/reliable device (if thats possible for my price range)

thank you in advance and thank you for saving my head even more stress!

peace
buy an APOGEE DUET. ANything cheaper is a waste of your MONEY
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS ➑️
buy an APOGEE DUET. ANything cheaper is a waste of your MONEY
lol you dont like me do you
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Wanna make a career outta music? If so, plan on investing a LOT to get started. It's a labor of love; it ain't easy, and it especially ain't cheap. I myself have spent tens of thousands. The cool thing is, I make my living off this ****!

You gotta spend money to get money in this biz, no doubt. Save whatchya got, and invest it where you think you'll find the biggest returns (as a producer-to-be, you'll probably find that means hiring a pro studio). Budget to lose money at first, and earn a profit later.

Good luck, homie.

i dont ever think il make money from this **** fam. i make "underground" hiphop. this **** is all love and nuffin else

im jealous as hell you do tho
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol you dont like me do you
not at all homie... I didnt care what u said. I just gave you MY recommendation. Get that cake up!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
easier said than done bro

like jeezy said...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
easier said than done bro

like jeezy said...
as with everything in life
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cant u try one of those motu ones. I hear presonus got some pretty good stuff, but i dont care whut u say either, an apogee duet sounds like a good choice SAVE UP
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
True, Apogee duet is not that much more money than the other stuff you were considering. Be patient and save up if yoiu think it is the best option for you regardless of price.
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donpepperoni ➑️
True, Apogee duet is not that much more money than the other stuff you were considering. Be patient and save up if yoiu think it is the best option for you regardless of price.
that's true...
People always ask what I would do differently if I had to do it all over...
I always have 2 major things...
1. Obviously I would be as good then as I am now...
but 2. I wouldn't buy any of the stuff I upgraded from.. I'd have bought the good stuff from the beginning... and saved myself a bunch of money and heartache
Get what you really want or else you'll spend too much time second guessing yourself and less time making music.....
And yea.. learn as much as you can... you have to eat, sleep and breathe this ****
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Honestly, whatever interface you get, just make sure it can receive line level inputs so when you do get better pres you can bypass the interface pres. After that it really just comes down to number of inputs, and d/a converters. And you can make money off of any kind of music if you're sharp about it. It ain't easy, but trust me, it's doable.... Then you spend that money right back into the music again!
πŸ“ Reply