Quantcast
Bouncing vs. Summing? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bouncing vs. Summing?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bouncing vs. Summing?

I've been bouncing tracks forever and it's something that i've grown a habit to doing. I heard so much about summing in pro tools and how much it sounds a little better than bouncing (conversion factor i guess). But How does this process work. I know you bus all the tracks to a stereo audio track and hit record but is there anything else in the process that i'm missing. After you're doing recording then what? and how would you go about burning the track on a cd? (or is it just simply going into the folder with your audio files and just getting the stereo mix there?)

and another thing. Do you guys use Waves L1, L2, L3 or any of there ultramaximizers on the master bus? because usually when I use it, it alters the sound a little and i'd have to retouch some volumes.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The way to do it is:

1. Route all channel outputs through a bus
2. Create a new stereo audio track (this is where master will sum to) with the same bus as the input, and main outs as the output.
3. Set the master fader output to the same bus

Once you have the stereo audio file with the master audio you need to use the Export Selected As feature (Shift+Command+K on a Mac) (Control+Shift+K on a PC). Consolidate all tracks, select all and export. There's a dialogue box to select file type, bit and sample rate and destination folder. This feature adds dither if exporting 16 bit files.

This is not the same as Bounce To Disk: it's faster-than-real-time, and it is a batch export.

The master fader will behave as the gain level that is being pushed into the master audio file (summed tracks).

The logic here is that you are basically using the recording engine in Pro Tools software rather than the bounce function which is in some way a different algorithm.

The result is a more dynamic master which you can then apply your mastering spices to like comp's EQ's etc.

And yes i regularly use waves L1 L2 and L3 limiters... i tend not to push them hard if at all on the master fader i use them mainly as a brick wall to catch any stray peaks, if not pushed hard it shouldn't alter the sound at all... the only way you are going to notice a difference (and not just a greater sense of overall loudness) in your sound is if its pushed to hard, try and work on your gain structure of the whole track from the beginning then you will only need to use the waves limiters to catch stray peaks or boost the volume by a few db.

If you want an alternative to waves limiters try sonnox limter, its very transparent and also has a nice "enhance" feature.

Hope this helps
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

FYI - bouncing still requires summing. Summing just means you're combining a buncha signals. Typically though, for ITB mixers, the expression "summing" refers to using an outboard hardware box to combine the various tracks before recording back into the DAW.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
FYI - bouncing still requires summing. Summing just means you're combining a buncha signals. Typically though, for ITB mixers, the expression "summing" refers to using an outboard hardware box to combine the various tracks before recording back into the DAW.
Agreed, I didnt see the point in going into detail regarding analogue summing as this wasnt the OP, I was just explaining the way "to do it" in PT, but yea your right.
📝 Reply