Quantcast
Hardware To Get First - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hardware To Get First
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hardware To Get First

Ok... So I'm about to revamp my gear and go the whole hardware route... Software does not seem to cut it for me as I'm looking for that "bigger" sound in my productions... I hear too many tracks up against mine that sound bigger and fuller and the production really isn't that eloborate... I'm like, "How do you get your drums/samples to be so big and spacious??? " "...the MPC sitting over there... or, "that Fantom/Motif..."

I think I can take my productions to another level if I had hardware... You can layer 2000 kicks, snare, hats on top of each other in a software program (Logic, Cubase, Reason) but somehow it'll sound "different" coming from hardware (MPC, Motif, etc...) Not to mention that I read quite a few hardware vs software threads on here and hardware seems to be the leader....

Now with saying all that, what should I get first that would yield almost INSTANT sonic results?

1. Motif XS or Fantom XR
2. MPC 1000
(Pro Tools and Logic as my DAW's...)

Is there anything else I need to get with this setup? (preamp, etc...) I'm 100000% sure my productions are going to be that much better... The slutz on here have convinced me...
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The Motif and Fantom will give you a bigger variety of sounds to use, and the MPC might add a tiny bit of punch to your stuff and a bit more of a hands-on approach due to the pads, but beware of buying gear thinking it's going to dramatically increase your sound quality, you would be much better served to buy a Motif rack and some quality outboard compressors and EQ's for that money (or some nice plugins, but hardware seems to be the way to go as far as those are concerned) and take the time to learn how to properly mix your music. I know people who buy gear thinking it's going to magically make them sound better, and it just ends up paralyzing them creatively when they don't get those instant results....

Last edited by kaz1; 7th February 2009 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: because
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

For me, hardware = analog. And in that case, you don't wanna MPC or Fantom. Go out and find yourself a killer analog synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I prefer hardware samplers to hardware synths or software samplers. If I were to rebuild I'd start there.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
From what you described, it sounds like you should be looking for a decent Pre-amp first for a bigger sound....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton ➑️
I prefer hardware samplers to hardware synths or software samplers. If I were to rebuild I'd start there.
And that's what I'm looking for... The A/D converters in the MPC or Roland will make the samples that I already have sound much more "alive" versus them just being played through the software samplers.... Since I somewhat play keys, maybe the Fantom or Roland first before MPC coupled with a preamp???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1 ➑️
The Motif and Fantom will give you a bigger variety of sounds to use, and the MPC might add a tiny bit of punch to your stuff and a bit more of a hands-on approach due to the pads, but beware of buying gear thinking it's going to dramatically increase your sound quality, you would be much better served to buy a Motif rack and some quality outboard compressors and EQ's for that money (or some nice plugins, but hardware seems to be the way to go as far as those are concerned) and take the time to learn how to properly mix your music. I know people who buy gear thinking it's going to magically make them sound better, and it just ends up paralyzing them creatively when they don't get those instant results....
Yeah, I want the racks instead of the keyboards just to save space....

Software =

Hardware =
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmmm-

I'm looking at your software hardware and all I can think is two words-

Tape machine.

I recently got a tascam atr60/16 and it has changed my life.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➑️
Hmmm-

I'm looking at your software hardware and all I can think is two words-

Tape machine.

I recently got a tascam atr60/16 and it has changed my life.
Tape's a fairly subtle (maybe even negligible, in some cases!) improvement over good digital convertors. Better to start at the source, IMO. Better instruments will sound better on any recording format!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think that depends a lot on how hard you hit it. . . said with all due respect, I'm also a little surprised to hear you say that.

For reference I've owned AD16x, Digi 192 and lynx aurora (as well as a bunch of prosumer stuff before I really got the studio off the ground). The aurora fits the best of those for my needs. . . I'm sure you have something nicer, so I have no reference on that.

I've owned too much hardware synths to list. Vintage analog and romplers. I don't really get the hype over having a good VI collection, but diff strokes I guess. The only hardware that stuck with me was a oberheim xpander and a GM equinox (one trick pony, but it's one cool ass trick).

Anyway diff strokes, spanked tape is like nothing else to me, I also own MCdsp, reel tape and demoed massey. . .

I could post an A/B, should I do it here or in the shoot outs? The problem with shootouts for hip hop is the hip hop guys don't go over there much.
Lives for gear

Well, sure, hitting tape hard makes its sound rather obvious, for better or worse (yes, it's true...sometimes tape DOESN'T beat digital [gasp!!! My Gearslutz credibility is destroyed]). Unfortunately, the sound of a squashed signal to tape ain't super useful in most cases. Especially for drums.

OK...Yeah, if you slam your Tascam deck pretty hard you'll hear it (well...depending on what kinda tape you're using, and how you've set up your deck). Does it sound better than digital?...mmmm...maybe, maybe not. But to be honest, if you're hearing a drastic difference between a signal in input mode as you monitor and a signal in repro mode coming off the tape, that's a flaw in your tape deck (or your tracking or mixing approach), NOT a strength.

Anyway, for most folks, the difference between moderate (ie - average, ie - typical, ie - nominal!) tape levels versus a good converter is pretty tough to discern. Particularly if you're talking about single-shot samples in a hip hop track; the benefits of a great tape machine are far more audible as you accumulate and stack a bunch of tracks.

And for the record, I typically use a Studer A827 2" 24-track for tracking, and an Ampeg ATR-102 1/2" for mixing; on the digital end, it's generally Digi 192s for tracking and either the same 192s for mixing or an Apogee Rosetta. A couple studios I work in have better converters (Myteks, Aurora, Prism, Cranesong, Lavry...I've pretty much used em all). 9 outta 10 my clients can't hear the difference the 827 makes while tracking over ANY of those converters, even experienced pro musicians with great ears. Most can hear the difference the mixdown deck makes, but I'd rather mix a great-sounding source - created by kick-ass instruments - to digital than half-assed, mediocre sources to my killer 1/2" deck.

My point was/is, the recording and/or mixdown format is just about the LEAST important part of the recording equation. The OP should be focusing on the source, first and foremost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➑️
I think that depends a lot on how hard you hit it. . . said with all due respect, I'm also a little surprised to hear you say that.

For reference I've owned AD16x, Digi 192 and lynx aurora (as well as a bunch of prosumer stuff before I really got the studio off the ground). The aurora fits the best of those for my needs. . . I'm sure you have something nicer, so I have no reference on that.

I've owned too much hardware synths to list. Vintage analog and romplers. I don't really get the hype over having a good VI collection, but diff strokes I guess. The only hardware that stuck with me was a oberheim xpander and a GM equinox (one trick pony, but it's one cool ass trick).

Anyway diff strokes, spanked tape is like nothing else to me, I also own MCdsp, reel tape and demoed massey. . .

I could post an A/B, should I do it here or in the shoot outs? The problem with shootouts for hip hop is the hip hop guys don't go over there much.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd get the Motif XS out of those 3 choices, the sounds are great.
and if you have any money left I'd get a good preamp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dont pay me no attn!!!!!

Just passin thru...wdup VG, BG
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
For me, hardware = analog. And in that case, you don't wanna MPC or Fantom. Go out and find yourself a killer analog synth.
LOL oh LOL your sig... man thats funny.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
LOL oh LOL your sig... man thats funny.
I know rite; when I 1st saw it I couldn't stop laughing...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What up KB!

I think I made my decision... Since I have an array of soft synths (Sampletank, Pro Tools, Reason, etc...) I think I will get an MPC first... Something about the drums coming through an MPC...

Couple that with a compressor and I think I'll be good for a while...
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1 ➑️
You can't get better advice than this!
πŸ“ Reply