Quantcast
recording percussion what mic/pre - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recording percussion what mic/pre
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
recording percussion what mic/pre

want to add some live percussion to my production tracks (shakers, cabasas etc) but at home all i got is an mbox pro 2, akg perception 200, adk s-7. I would rather use a dynamic mic cause of the source but also i got two computers running in that room so anything to cut down on noise. I want to jump on the sm7b but i don't think the mbox pro 2 would provide enough gain. I believe it's only 40 db on those. I'm not trying to break the bank either. Any recommendations on dynamic mics/pre's.
Thanks
Old 6th February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm ➑️
want to add some live percussion to my production tracks (shakers, cabasas etc) but at home all i got is an mbox pro 2, akg perception 200, adk s-7. I would rather use a dynamic mic cause of the source but also i got two computers running in that room so anything to cut down on noise. I want to jump on the sm7b but i don't think the mbox pro 2 would provide enough gain. I believe it's only 40 db on those. I'm not trying to break the bank either. Any recommendations on dynamic mics/pre's.
Thanks
I myself prefer the faster transient response of a SDC, or LDC for this app, but as always, YMMV. Try out the SM7b! You 'll be fine! That is what I would do.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can anyone comment on the focusrite voicemaster pro. I may be able to get a good deal on a slightly used one around my area.

philly? You seem to like the ff twin what do you think about this piece. I would get it for around 250-300 or so. Have the isa at work and really enjoy it.... once i corrected that line balance issue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
another engineer i know use the 7b for most of these types of instruments and it sound great. Plus my room sux so dynamic would def be the way for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
p.s. adding real perc like this really brings your "beats" to life. It's a must for all "beat makers"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FMR RNP if you want an inexpensive pre amp that actually sounds good.

Mercenary Audio - FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp

As far as the mic goes, condensers will give you a more detailed sound for the percussion, more hand slap, etc. But a nice dynamic will do the job just fine, I recommend a Sennheiser 421 as a good versatile option.

P.S. Adam I want 10 points of this guy's purchase!heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio ➑️
FMR RNP if you want an inexpensive pre amp that actually sounds good.

Mercenary Audio - FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp

As far as the mic goes, condensers will give you a more detailed sound for the percussion, more hand slap, etc. But a nice dynamic will do the job just fine, I recommend a Sennheiser 421 as a good versatile option.
thanks i'll check'm out
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Percussion is REALLY hard to record. As in, both in terms of playing well and capturing well.

The hardest bit will be finding a tight percussionist; those transients REALLY poke out when they're not super-tight.

It'll also be tricky recording great-sounding tracks; I quite like ribbons, or really high end LDCs. I know a lotta folks prefer the fast transient response of SDCs, but when recording digitally (as I'm guessing you are), SDCs tend to sound too "pokey" for my tastes. A nice, fat, "presence peak"-free LDC (especially tube) or ribbon will go a long way. If you're gonna go SDC, avoid cheap Chinese mics. Those things tend towards "brittle-to-the-point-of-ripping-off-your-face"...not cool for percussion.

Pres are less important here, but something slow-and-gooey would be ideal. Focusrite has that whole plastic-y sheen happening...probably not ideal for percussion. Most "clean" amps I'd shy away from, especially in a less-than-ideal room with a less-than-ideal room. Look for a fat, transformer-y or tube-y amp. Or at least something REALLY slow and dark. An old UA M610 would prolly be killer (I've owned them, but never used em on percussion).

Good luck!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SDC into an ADK ap1 pre
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get an SM57, a decent pre and a decent compressor.
Percussion has mad transients, so try to tame them a bit with the compressor.
You can also roll off a bit of low end on stuff like Congas, Bongs.
Shackers have super hot high end that you will want to tame as well.
Percusion is not all that hard to record.
There are many things harder, like a violin, drumset, etc...
Anyway, with a 57 you will be able to record loads of differnt percusion instruments and get great results.
πŸ“ Reply