Quantcast
WTF is "leasing" tracks!? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WTF is "leasing" tracks!?
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
WTF is "leasing" tracks!?

OK maybe I'm out of the loop, but what the hell is "leasing" a track? I've seen a couple cats use that term on here. I'm not knocking anyone's hustle but damn times must be hard. I'm guessing that means:

Paying to use someone's beat until they find an exclusive buyer for that beat?

-or-

making payments on a beat?

If this is so? How do you stop the lessee from using after it's bought? And what if the lessee puts the track on a mix tape or itunes or myspace or limewire, why would someone want a beat that has 10 lessees?

Someone break this concept down... (yeah I used "beat" because I can only see rappers doing this)
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's a lease. The same way you lease a car. You buy it for a time limit and you don't have exclusive rights. You and 300 other rappers can lease the same track. For the producers, that is 300 X whatever the rate is. I lease beats and most other rappers putting out mixtapes will lease the beat vs getting it exclusive.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Leasing of tracks happens a lot in Christian music. Say some local soloist in a church choir wants to be the next greatest Gospel vocalist or whatever...they can call certain companies and "lease" their pre-recorded tracks and put out a record. It is the responbsibility of the artist of course, to obtain any mechanicals or other liscensing that may be required. So the village idiot can have real session players and arrangements for maybe $400-500 per song.

For creativity, leasing sucks. Usually these tracks are from compilation cd's or something similar. Sometimes you can get the actual full multitrack recording so you can re-mix it to not sound so cheesy.

This practice has been going on for decades. It is by no means new. It is a great way for a "label" to recoup some costs for doing those instrumental worship hits of the 80's type of cd's. It happens in other styles of music, I am just most familiar with it in the Christian market.

All the best,
Rob
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So it's like a karaoke track?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
It's a lease. The same way you lease a car. You buy it for a time limit and you don't have exclusive rights. You and 300 other rappers can lease the same track. For the producers, that is 300 X whatever the rate is. I lease beats and most other rappers putting out mixtapes will lease the beat vs getting it exclusive.
ok that sounds cool but who's gonna stop you from using that track longer than agreed to? Maybe the producer doesn't care because he's made 300(x).
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicB ➑️
ok that sounds cool but who's gonna stop you from using that track longer than agreed to? Maybe the producer doesn't care because he's made 300(x).
its a way to sell to cheap asses. the terms of the lease vary but if you get your name out there a lil bit you could make some good money. i personally think anybody that wants to be worth a damn should buy the full rights and take themself more seriously.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well the lease is so cheap that if I needed to re-lease it then I would, or buy the exclusive rights. If the songs hasn't made a splash in that lease time, then it probably wont. If it does, and becomes a regular performance at shows then get the exclusive. It's a very low risk type of deal. It's almost malicious to try and fukk over a producer on a lease deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinicalmicmusic ➑️
its a way to sell to cheap asses. the terms of the lease vary but if you get your name out there a lil bit you could make some good money. i personally think anybody that wants to be worth a damn should buy the full rights and take themself more seriously.
Well if startup money is low it's a great way to get your name out there. If the song proves to be worth it, then it's smarter to buy the exclusives after. I ain't being a cheap ass cause I'm money conscious. You need to get with the program. People have been doing it all the time. Full rights don't mean you're serious more than me just cause I get a lease. What proves that anybody is worth a dam is their work ethic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
Well if startup money is low it's a great way to get your name out there. If the song proves to be worth it, then it's smarter to buy the exclusives after. I ain't being a cheap ass cause I'm money conscious. You need to get with the program. People have been doing it all the time. Full rights don't mean you're serious more than me just cause I get a lease. What proves that anybody is worth a dam is their work ethic.
i think its absolutely possible to succeed with this method as you can build alot of things business wise. anything from starting out or being poor and not wanting to jack music from hard working musicians (its rare from what ive seen for people to go this route but i encourage it) to making connections with clubs and starting a buzz legally.

in my honest opinion if you want to do a big project, leasing beats is not the way to go. you want something that no one else has and usually lease beats have a legal "units sold" limit. if you have hot "instrumentalists" in town its nice to meet up and go through the tracks with them. it could be inspiring and help motivate you to step yo game up. dont mind me im just laying down thoughts on the subject .this is an opinion formed over many years of working with lots and lots of musicians that are cheap asses. im not knockin anybody's hustle at all.....im just a sarcastic bastard sometimes.

btw i use to have lease options for some of my stuff....i got too busy working to fully take advantage of that avenue so i stopped.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese ➑️
If you lease a song for 10 bucks and 1000 people lease that song: You get 100,000 dollars!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you lease a song for 10 bucks and 1000 people lease that song: You get 100,000 dollars!

And you were gonna sell that beat for how much?
If music became a business, make that bitch a cash cow.
$10,000...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➑️
$10,000...

hehhehhehhehheh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah everyone uses the word "lease", but who the hell is gonna pay a lawyer to enforce the lease of a $10 beat? lol

Really it's beat licensing.

I'm about to get into the beat lease/licensing game this week (iLeaseBeats.com coming soon!). If anyone has any advice... please let it fly.

PS I STRONGLY advise anyone leasing beats to not shop those tracks to artists with budgets. You could be in for a major disappointment.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
OK maybe I'm out of the loop, but what the hell is "leasing" a track? I've seen a couple cats use that term on here. I'm not knocking anyone's hustle but damn times must be hard. I'm guessing that means:

Paying to use someone's beat until they find an exclusive buyer for that beat?

-or-

making payments on a beat?

If this is so? How do you stop the lessee from using after it's bought? And what if the lessee puts the track on a mix tape or itunes or myspace or limewire, why would someone want a beat that has 10 lessees?

Someone break this concept down... (yeah I used "beat" because I can only see rappers doing this)
I first heard abou this concept being used with rap a few yrs ago. My reaction was the same as yours.

WTF???!!!!????

This take me back. Thank you for validiating the fact that I am not the only one who thought this was the stupidest thing they every heard of when they first came across it. At the time I was like... "It would cost you more than $10 just to get me to tell you my website address!"

Of cours that quote is bit extra but... you get my drift. LOL
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This take me back. Thank you for validiating the fact that I am not the only one who thought this was the stupidest thing they every heard of when they first came across it. At the time I was like... "It would cost you more than $10 just to get me to tell you my website address!"

Of cours that quote is bit extra but... you get my drift. LOL
I used to think the same exact thing, mainly cus I've been paid good money for the same quality tracks I'll be leasing. But if you set up a page that doesnt need much updating and the songs just sit there collecting money for you, why not?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➑️
$10,000...

the funny thing is, cats will spend 10/20 bucks on a beat, but they won't spend .99 on a song.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
the funny thing is, cats will spend 10/20 bucks on a beat,
but they won't spend .99 on a song.
Really? Noooo waaaay. LOL

Bad logic. They pay $10 because they HAVE to. If they could figure out a way NOT to pay it. They wouldnt give you a dime. See below.

https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-...quick-tip.html
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
Really? Noooo waaaay. LOL

Bad logic. They pay $10 because they HAVE to. If they could figure out a way NOT to pay it. They wouldnt give you a dime. See below.

https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-...quick-tip.html
HAHAHAHA! WOW! things just ain't the same for gangstas
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No leasing beats over here.....

If beat get picked up by a major. It can cause major problems, cause some snot face rapper has a beat that I leased 12 months ago and now 50 wants it.

Then said snot face rapper hears 50 on the beat and the snot face rereleases the beat on there own snot face label. Then Interscope( the label) is pissed at you for leaking the beat to some snot face. Now your leased beat is gonna cost you.

its a sticky game. if your serious about being a producer only sell exclusive. Or just rain beats on mixtapes.

Build your brand!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

And you were gonna sell that beat for how much?
If music became a business, make that bitch a cash cow.
haaaaaaaaa
hahahahahahahahahahahheh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
How is this any different than selling a song on iTunes for 1 dollar? Anyone?

Edit: How is this not 10x better than selling a song on iTunes for 1 dollar? Anyone?
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
When I've heard the term used, it meant leasing the distribution rights to a label for a certain period of time.

It's the very best kind of a "record deal" and lots more common than many people realize because we only read the whining from folks who chose to take hundreds of thousands in advance money rather than working out a lease deal and retaining ownership.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Perspective from a non-producing MC... Although I can't be certain, I have to think it had to have been a terminology mix-up some where. It's easy to conceptualize the difference between "purchasing" full cost/full rights and "licensing" for lower cost/limited rights.

However - "leasing" music ... the notion that there is a time restriction on a COMPONENT of a static peice of art is just bizarre to me. Let alone residual fees for use. Ultiumately it could cost far more than the actual purchase price. Plus all of the enforcement issues that crop up because of how abstract it is. What constitutes continued "use" and a perpetuation of the licensing fee? IF some one else posts it on a webpage? If local college radio picks it up? If some one is playing the CD in their car 2 years from now? The beat does not "self destruct" at any point. It seems like a sucker proposition to me.

I mean, does this make sense for sample clearances?!
You pay $X for the right to use sample Y in your song ... for every 3 months of use. Huh?!?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayghost ➑️
Perspective from a non-producing MC... Although I can't be certain, I have to think it had to have been a terminology mix-up some where. It's easy to conceptualize the difference between "purchasing" full cost/full rights and "licensing" for lower cost/limited rights.

However - "leasing" music ... the notion that there is a time restriction on a COMPONENT of a static peice of art is just bizarre to me. Let alone residual fees for use. Ultiumately it could cost far more than the actual purchase price. Plus all of the enforcement issues that crop up because of how abstract it is. What constitutes continued "use" and a perpetuation of the licensing fee? IF some one else posts it on a webpage? If local college radio picks it up? If some one is playing the CD in their car 2 years from now? The beat does not "self destruct" at any point. It seems like a sucker proposition to me.

I mean, does this make sense for sample clearances?!
You pay $X for the right to use sample Y in your song ... for every 3 months of use. Huh?!?

WTF....

Your to smart for me. Talk a little dumber.... Duhhhhhh

Just kidding...

Good point!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have to think it had to have been a terminology mix-up some where. It's easy to conceptualize the difference between "purchasing" full cost/full rights and "licensing" for lower cost/limited rights.
There is a mix up. Every MC that has ever contacted me about licensing tracks has referred to it as leasing.

And yes leasing music in the literal sense is stupid, unless you have a situation like Mr Ohlsson mentioned, which would be the opposite of stupid.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
This subject always confused me too. Especially the cats who are tryin to sell exclusive rights to the same beats that they have already "leased" out 10 times. I've never heard of time limits involved, that wouldn't make any sense. What really kills me is these cats who are trying to "lease" beats that have samples in them. Haha, saying that they retain the rights to the "sequencing composition" LOL! A lot of shotty hustles out there I guess..

I make beats & emcee, and I cant justify buying OR selling beats. I think the over-all production of the finished track is where the value is at. I don't wanna offend anyone who buys or sells 10.00 beats, but anything you can lease or buy for chump change is probably something that you could also find for free from an eager beat maker. Building relationships with a few dope beat makers would go farther than 10 bucks, and thats my 2 cents. lol.

Most of the emcee's I have produced tracks for have given me the vocals to use at will, and I give them the instrumental to use at will, but I guess I'm pretty small time over here, so that kinda agreement has been what works best for my music. I might a paid a few cats 10 bucks to NOT use my beats a few times tho..
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Leasing = Hobby

Exclusive = Still kind of a hobby

Purchasing a track from a real producer, working with him to create a finished product = The way real music is made
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Purchasing a track from a real producer, working with him to create a finished product = The way real music is made
It kinda irks me when people say this kinda stuff.

Unless you have a major track record, or have a great relationship with an A&R or someone in the artist's camp, most likely you are never gonna be able to get in the studio with a major label artist to work on a track. No matter how badly you want to or how much better it would make the record, it probably isn't gonna go down.

Just directing this at the thread in general & I'm not saying I am some sort of boss or anything lol, but it's disappointing how many guys don't have a hustler's mentality on here. I thought that guys in the music biz are supposed to be creative on the business side of things too...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Zarific ➑️
Leasing = Hobby

Not true at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Scott Zarific;3891505]Leasing = Hobby

Purchasing a track from a real producer, working with him to create a finished product = The way real music is made[/QUOTE

Leasing= Whoring your beat around.

Exclusive= A lasting relationship

Purchasing a track from a real producer, working with him to create a finished product= A threesome with your wife and and her hot ass best friend!!!

Priceless!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…