Quantcast
WTF is "leasing" tracks!? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WTF is "leasing" tracks!?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
im curious - how much is the most any producer in here has made from leasing a beat?
Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dragging this post back up to let you know I'm getting in the leasing biz & I am approaching it differently from what I've seen so far. Although the site is live, It's not officially launching till next month. I'll let the interested parties know how it goes...

www.iLeaseBeats.com

I am gonna prove there is real money to be made here...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
concerning Leasing beats containing copyrighted samples. I am no law nerd or expert, and what your doing does not bother me at all. But a few things came to mind right away when I peeped your site and read your "disclaimer". Since I'm no expert, I'll let wiki do the explaining. First is "De facto" vs. "De jure" De facto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second is the section pertaining to "Exclusive Rights". Which not only grants the copyright holder permission to do said things, but also prohibits non-copyright holders from doing the same such things. Especially the right "to sell or assign these rights to others." Copyright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just my thoughts man, I say go for tha' gusto, but keep in mind that ish prolly wouldnt fly if it ever came before a Judge.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. My site name is kinda funny cus I don't actually lease the beats. But since it is a popular term & a catchy url (not many left), I ran with it. I know I can't legally assign rights to music containing samples. I will have some legal wording on my invoices basically stating that clearing the sample is up to the buyer & my company assumes no liability. I'll clean up the wording on the site after I speak to my lawyer too.
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
And come to think of it, I was just about to set up a page on rocbeats.com. See I grade my beats, I'm thinking of leasing my "C" beats, and maybe a few "B" beats, for extra revenue. But, the obivious thing that comes up is, my "C" beat might be somebody's "A" beat depending on taste.

This thread makes me think whats the right way to get my material out there. I'm been making tracks since 01, spending my first five years honing my hobby. Now, I'm like I can compete, get out there. But with the lack of artist you honestly feel (in your area), and lack of originality out there, why not lease a beat, place your tags on it, get a lil exposure. It helps both the artist and the producer, get exposure right? If you attack all angles of this business, something is bound to fall through. Why not have beats for leasing, exclusives, TV/ movies/ games, or whatever medium that can utilize you music. I would much rather make money across the board.

Cutting tags, is just wrong. I was told by other cats, to tag your beats to keep other producers from jacking your beats. In hip hop, you already know something is going to be jacked (especially on the artist side of things). Hell, in a sense thats what sampling is, unless you clear it. I'm not bashing sampling because I do it to, but I also mix my originality with it. Im just stating that hip hop started off by taking an old school beat (jacking), and added a new beat to it, and flip it, right? I know James Brown, felt much like the producer who gets his tag cut. But hey, it's the genre. My $0.02
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
leasing tracks = total jokers trying to make a hustle.period.

if someone tries to lease you a track, politely decline, then never do business with them again.

if you yourself are trying to lease tracks to other people, it wont be long till your out of business.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I guess we will find out...
Quote:
How is this any different than selling a song on iTunes for 1 dollar? Anyone?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not everything as "absolute" as outlined here.

if you have a team, there's going to be obvious A+ beats and ones that are just kinda status quo, beats that are rehash, stuff that the "average rapper" wants.

average rappers can't rap on stupid hot beats i find... they cant get their head around it. the typical guy in atlanta wants a basic gucci mane style beat with 808s and plenty of room for them to rap.

we just got back from the lawyers office meeting with a major and left with a modest check (a check that took 3 months to get)... im now headed over to the block to drop off a leased beat and pick up $100 from a trap boy. me doing that must automatically means im going to be out of business soon because of why ?? because i grind and know lots of dope boys that come through regularly??

if you only rely on big time exclusives, then you better be in the top .5% percent or have another job, or you'll be hungry. im not in that half percentage (yet! :P)

an extra $2-400 a week, working within guys budgets and selling 10 minute beats is a great hustle. i disagree with any and everything saying otherwise...

you put a lot of time into big money concepts and a little time into basic stuff... it's all relative and it all makes sense/cents.

i keep em movin, but if you only make a couple beats a week then maybe leasing isn't a good option for you thumbsup
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission ➑️

if you have a team, there's going to be obvious A+ beats and ones that are just kinda status quo, beats that are rehash, stuff that the "average rapper" wants.

average rappers can't rap on stupid hot beats i find... they cant get their head around it. the typical guy in atlanta wants a basic gucci mane style beat with 808s and plenty of room for them to rap.

we just got back from the lawyers office meeting with a major and left with a modest check (a check that took 3 months to get)... im now headed over to the block to drop off a leased beat and pick up $100 from a trap boy. me doing that must automatically means im going to be out of business soon because of why ?? because i grind and know lots of dope boys that come through regularly??

if you only rely on big time exclusives, then you better be in the top .5% percent or have another job, or you'll be hungry. im not in that half percentage (yet! :P)

an extra $2-400 a week, working within guys budgets and selling 10 minute beats is a great hustle. i disagree with any and everything saying otherwise...

you put a lot of time into big money concepts and a little time into basic stuff... it's all relative and it all makes sense/cents.

i keep em movin, but if you only make a couple beats a week then maybe leasing isn't a good option for you thumbsup
Word! You got me open on this post.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

good post. i wish i had more time to hustle my music. i had the option open (still do actually) but couldn't back it up. im too much into the recording beast to devote enough time to it.

also your rite about the newbs on hot tracks point. oh god they do want that beat but its just not easy enough to compete with. its also hard to sell because as an artist i want more compensation for the stuff i spent a long time perfecting (compared to the easy beats). but that doesn't determine the "hotness" of the track so its good to know what style of beat to keep abundant lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

co-sign from an ex-dopeboy.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 ➑️
leasing tracks = total jokers trying to make a hustle.period.

if someone tries to lease you a track, politely decline, then never do business with them again.

if you yourself are trying to lease tracks to other people, it wont be long till your out of business.

ha, had to wade the through all the turd and BS to finally get to a post w/ common sense.

dfegadon beat leasing
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Saving this thread so I can talk trash in a few months suckers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
co-sign from an ex-dopeboy.
What's a dopeboy?

Seriously, I'm not sure if the connotation here is literal or slang for something else.

I personally stopped doing any business (or anything else really) with people who (that I'm aware of) choose to rape and pillage their own communities for profit so if it's the former, good for you man. Good for you.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm just curious if beats can be protected under copyright? I would have my doubts if the music publishers aren't into it. And what is ascap or bmi's position on it? My guess would be that if you can't copyright them, then there is nothing to keep the "leasee" from not paying for them. It seems like it would be easier to just write the whole song, copyright it and go through the normal channels of getting paid as a songwriter,lol.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny ➑️
I'm just curious if beats can be protected under copyright? I would have my doubts if the music publishers aren't into it. And what is ascap or bmi's position on it? My guess would be that if you can't copyright them, then there is nothing to keep the "leasee" from not paying for them. It seems like it would be easier to just write the whole song, copyright it and go through the normal channels of getting paid as a songwriter,lol.
You can still copyright them. The copyright doesn't cover the pre-existing material, if it has a sample in it. It only cover what you added, and the re-arrangement. Thats the beauty of it, you don't need publishers to lease your own beat. Other than that, u are free and clear.

Last edited by LLS Music; 18th March 2009 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: oops
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
then there is nothing to keep the "leasee" from not paying for them.
They pay fully in advance. It's not a car lease with monthly payments.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
What's a dopeboy?

Seriously, I'm not sure if the connotation here is literal or slang for something else.

I personally stopped doing any business (or anything else really) with people who (that I'm aware of) choose to rape and pillage their own communities for profit so if it's the former, good for you man. Good for you.

A dopeboy is a street hustler. Doesn't have to be dope, but most of the time it is. Take it as that. It's good that u don't/try not do business with them, but you're probably doing business just the same with people who mess up communities. It's what I know, if you're not in it it's something hard to understand and that's cool. If u wanna know more pm.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
A dopeboy is a street hustler. Doesn't have to be dope, but most of the time it is. Take it as that. It's good that u don't/try not do business with them, but you're probably doing business just the same with people who mess up communities. It's what I know, if you're not in it it's something hard to understand and that's cool. If u wanna know more pm.
It's cool man. I have lots of experience with people who entertain that lifestyle so I'm well aware of the ins and outs of it. Some of my best friends growing up were very successful "street pharmacists". Some of them are dead now or trying to start over as regular people with jobs etc, etc.

Others made it through and still have lots of cash. Some are still in jail.

People make their own choices and to each his own but it does annoy me when black people in particular simply ignore the effects that certain behaviors have on their local communities. It's devastating... but hey... they got new sneakers and cars and **** so it's all good.

And granted... some people have very few apparent choices to survive financially otherwise. I do understand that. But that doesn't matter when someone's 4 year old is killed by crossfire over a drug debt or all of the good stores pack up and leave due to the related violence or many of the other side-effects of the dope game to non-participants just trying to do the right thing.

I f%$%ing hate dope dealers. Sorry for the rant ... I applaud you for taking a positive step forward. I wish you the very best man. You are (all of us potentially are) better than that. I also appreciate your honesty, it's a sure sign of maturity.

Good for you.

Back to the music... rant over.
Old 19th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Like some one else said, leasing is fine on demo projects. But if its a super tight track and you think you have what it takes to hit the next level, then buy it fully and use it on your actual album.

For those who dont have a name - both producers and artists, its a quick way yo network and get material out there. The same way that every rapper already jacks other peoples beats for a mixtape. Now it sucks when every one comes out with a rap on the same Jay-Z tracks or something, but on the other hand only the real good artists get mentioned and create a buzz with thier version. Either good artists or good promoters.

The other 30 people in your city who used it, are not even thought about if thier version was wack. I woud not recommend leasing tracks from producers in your city though, since automatically we do know that the chance of some one possibly two blocks up has already recorded his version. Now a guy in Philly, can rock the same track as a guy in New York and probably get away with it untill they both get big. And when that happens either one of them wont be leasing anyway, they will begin to put together thier actual album or at least a serious demo to begin shopping and sending to DJ's, Promoters, and A&R's

using a lease for an actual album would be lame. Either buy it off the top, before it gets leased or hit the producer and have him make something with the exact same style and record your song to that new beat. Same tempo, swing, instrument set ect. . . . . . . just a different melody to it. Listen to LiL John. Same synths, same 808's same yells and yeahs and whats, but tweaked different just enough to say its a new track and some one else has a hit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never actually heard a beat I'd want to lease. I either want it or I don't. But I rarely hear anything I'd actually pay for. The last beat I heard that excited me was Ken Lewis's alice in wonderland titled beat (don't remember the exact name).

On the other side of things. F it. I do a million odd things to make some extra cash (none of which are illegal). If leasing beats or whatever works, best believe you can capitalize on this many of a kind offer!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Leasing is the SH*T!

My homeboy WhiteHotPro leases beats on Soundclick, and makes over $8,000 a month. He's been on there for about a year or two though, so he has a huge fanbase.

I started my Soundclick site last month, and leased my first beat a few days ago.

Hopefully i make it to the point where it's consistent, i'm still living at home, and as a social recluse to keep my expenses down.

The great thing about leasing is you can upload beats you made years ago, and lease them infinitely, residual income at it's finest.

Other than having hot beats, the other thing is marketing. One thing WHP told me is to make alot of friends on MySpace, and hit them up with personalized messages etc. Every once in a while, I'll go on a 10 hour marathon and add as many local bands as I can. I send them a message saying I like one of their songs (include the name of the song in the message title), so they're more likely to read it and check me out.

I've added the 100+ bands in my City, now I'm focused on getting the surrounding Cities.

MySpace has a nice feature where you can find the top band pages in your area:
MySpace
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
I f%$%ing hate dope dealers.
As long as there's a demand...there'll be a supply...so aren't the fiends the root of the problem?

Most dopeboys are good people, they just feel like someone's going to get paid, so...it might as well be them.
And not to mention...do any Black folks own Poppy fields, or boats?

The dope boi is just the middle man in the grand scheme of things..
AON
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanBeatz.com ➑️
My homeboy WhiteHotPro leases beats on Soundclick, and makes over $8,000 a month.
Damn, thatΒ΄s quite amazing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanBeatz.com ➑️
As long as there's a demand...there'll be a supply...so aren't the fiends the root of the problem?

Most dopeboys are good people, they just feel like someone's going to get paid, so...it might as well be them.
And not to mention...do any Black folks own Poppy fields, or boats?

The dope boi is just the middle man in the grand scheme of things..
Having personal integrity, honor and pride in the value and quality of all human life and understanding the importance of those who follow behind you having a safe place to live and play - and not being a part of the problem - is a lesson many learn too late in life.

Some never learn it at all. They just make rationalizations like "do black people own poppy fields?". Black people don't own chemical plants or manufacture machine guns generally either, so I suppose it's okay to buy those chemicals and poison other black people or buy Uzi's and kill each other ... as long as you get paid. Silly.

You'll see many that do understand these things out there trying to help the "fiends" get their act together instead of selling them drugs. You do understand that people get paid for that also? The "getting paid" argument is for the lazy and weak of mind. Modern day slaves. People get paid very well all kinds of legal ways that don't put others in danger ... those who don't mind working and/or studying hard for it.

And "good people" (in my view) don't knowingly engage in activities that endanger the lives of innocent people. Just my personal opinion. There is a severe culture of ignorance in many of our communities that will take generations to erase, if ever. It's very sad.

Back to the music... let's not get too far off topic. This is a music forum so... let it go.
Old 1st August 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicB ➑️
ok that sounds cool but who's gonna stop you from using that track longer than agreed to? Maybe the producer doesn't care because he's made 300(x).
A contract is signed and there is a date of expiration (unless the "use" of the track is agreed to in perpetuity--which nobody in their right mind would agree to). When the end date is reached and the "lessee" continues to use the tracks the person who owns the tracks can sue the lessee in court for damages and a cease and desist order can be invoked. Thus, anyone else that continues to use that music is liable as well for damages. Most big companies (ad agencies, music licensing houses, etc.) abide by these rules because they not only don't want to get sued, but it is bad for their reputation. I'm basically talking about a lease agreement for a track (not a beat). I don't know how the industry deals with "beats". But for music tracks that is basically how it works. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know all the details, but I do know a bit about contracts as an artist/composer.
Old 1st August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Keasing is what bum producers give to broke rappers

Both never go anywhere in music

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrhythm ➑️
A contract is signed and there is a date of expiration (unless the "use" of the track is agreed to in perpetuity--which nobody in their right mind would agree to). When the end date is reached and the "lessee" continues to use the tracks the person who owns the tracks can sue the lessee in court for damages and a cease and desist order can be invoked. Thus, anyone else that continues to use that music is liable as well for damages. Most big companies (ad agencies, music licensing houses, etc.) abide by these rules because they not only don't want to get sued, but it is bad for their reputation. I'm basically talking about a lease agreement for a track (not a beat). I don't know how the industry deals with "beats". But for music tracks that is basically how it works. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know all the details, but I do know a bit about contracts as an artist/composer.
There's no point to sue a broke person. So I iterate my point, who's gonna stop a "broke" rapper from using the track more than needed? "Big companies" have assets to lose and your typical aspiring rapper doesn't have anything to lose. Ever heard of the mixtape industry? Jackin' for beats?
Old 1st August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I actually fell victim to the big fish/little fish aspect of leasing beats. 2006-2007 can't remember exactly, I leased a beat from a producer on soundclick. The song ended up being dope. So we shot a video (nothing special). Anyway, to make a long story short. Maybe a year later, I hear that same beat on the radio with swizz beats jada and I believe fab rockin over it. I was salt rocks. Producer went on to produce a banger for 50 cent. You live and learn. I would of done the same thing if I were in his shoes. Never leased another beat after that tho.

Sent from my HTC One VX
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Flows ➑️
Keasing is what bum producers give to broke rappers.
Kinda true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Flows ➑️
Both never go anywhere in music
Debatable.

I lease beats because I know not every rapper is just going to shell out $500 for the full rights to a beat without even recording a demo of it, or at least getting feedback on it first.

Leasing is good because it gives an artists a chance to sit with the track for a while before making that investment in the full rights.

Just like anything, every producers leasing and exclusive rights and limitations are different. So people can't really put the whole concept of "leasing" in a general box.

More and more producers are selling beats and leasing beats online with the rapid growth of the internet and online way of making music.

The "old" placement style of selling beats is still very much alive, I just feel that to get those "placements" it's more about relationships, a strong team, and quality beats. Which takes time to build.

Leasing beats, anyone can really do at first. Does it water down the beat market? Yes.

But if you make quality work, it shouldn't really matter, you will stand out from the crowd.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…