Quantcast
Open Labs Gen5 Review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Open Labs Gen5 Review
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Open Labs Gen5 Review

The new Open Labs Gen5 models(Open Labs - the leader in open-platform, computer-hybrid musical instruments) were displayed at NAMM this year and I'm impressed but only to a certain point.They added features like faders and a pad control surface they call "Bump MP" and have a special version of Fxpansion Guru and I take it there going after the MPC users with this.This Bump MP has features like note repeat, pad tuning and chromatic mode like the MPC but I'm not really sold on the workflow of GURU and how it integrates with your DAW.I'm a MPC 3000/2000xl/4000 user and considering the Neko XXL because it would be great to have an all-in-one solution but not at the expense of not using my MPC 4000 as my main tool.So I want to get you guys opinion on this:Should I go with the Neko or just build a new setup around my MPC4000?

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
man that thing is beefy. you mentioned that work flow was an issue. if you could get an idea of how you could make music with that thing in comparison to what you do now and find out......
a-if this boosts creativity while improving your previous methods.
b-makes you hate making music

but i cant tell you what to decide.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
neko

a friend of mine has a neko in my studio right now. its sitting on the floor. in the past 2 months he's been on the phone with tech support bout 5 times. he's had numerous problems with his software and his sound card. the neko IS awesome, beefy, powerful, and very cool WHEN its working, but when its DOWN its DOWN. he's in a bind now because he has some production work to knock out and he has to physically send it back to OL and wait for them to send it back. if you have the money to spend and your entire life wont be determined by the machine get it and enjoy, but dont put the house on it.

im a mpc 4000, sp 1200 guy myself and im sure you kno how solid those machines are. tried and true. they may take a little longer to program and sequence on as opposed to recycle and the like but theyve never failed me. the concept of the neko is a great idea but it needs a more solid OS. if they could build an OSX version i might consider blowin some money but from what ive seen the neko is a bitch lover. when she's good she's great. once she's been scorned just remember to protect ur ballz

best of luck with whatever u decide to do!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
aodagreat -I personally don't own any of the Open Lab products but I do own a MPC 2000XL and the latest version of GURU. IMHO the combination is awesome.
You say there's a problem with your work flow using it. What are you actually having a problem with?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have the timbo miko. When I first received it, the keys did not work, so i had to call em and open the miko to fix it. after that, the disc drive stopped working so they sent me a new one, but i ended up sending the miko back for about 2 weeks. damn that was aggrevating.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
don't wast your time with those marketing gadgets.....woah they just figure out that beatmakers like to have pads !!!
comon , it seems that a lot of manufacturers are becomin predator in commercial market, it's like that wallstreet bull**** , don't be fouled , don't trust anything , think and make music , even if timbo will bring it in person to my house , i will say : presonus inteface , well i have my fireface, controllers , well i have my remote sl, mpd 24, laptop hp 8710W fully loaded with sonar 8PE and all i need on the road ....+ genelecs 8020 a for on he road prod and pre mixes ...

that boy knows ! ::YouTube - My Neko 64 Modified by me into Mac not IBM
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Smoove ➑️
a friend of mine has a neko in my studio right now. its sitting on the floor. in the past 2 months he's been on the phone with tech support bout 5 times. he's had numerous problems with his software and his sound card. the neko IS awesome, beefy, powerful, and very cool WHEN its working, but when its DOWN its DOWN. he's in a bind now because he has some production work to knock out and he has to physically send it back to OL and wait for them to send it back. if you have the money to spend and your entire life wont be determined by the machine get it and enjoy, but dont put the house on it.

im a mpc 4000, sp 1200 guy myself and im sure you kno how solid those machines are. tried and true. they may take a little longer to program and sequence on as opposed to recycle and the like but theyve never failed me. the concept of the neko is a great idea but it needs a more solid OS. if they could build an OSX version i might consider blowin some money but from what ive seen the neko is a bitch lover. when she's good she's great. once she's been scorned just remember to protect ur ballz

best of luck with whatever u decide to do!
Raj is right(I called u the other day). But I have a Gen 3 with so many plugs, and I never had a problem. Not sure about the new ones, but mines has been straight for years. But I also have many other "toys" and I'm just really getting into what the machine can do!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just sold all my crap and ordered a Neko ill post any issues I have as they come up. Honestly tho Im pretty confident its going to be as good as advertised bc the only people I hear complaining about em are the ones that dont own one
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilblitz ➑️
aodagreat -I personally don't own any of the Open Lab products but I do own a MPC 2000XL and the latest version of GURU. IMHO the combination is awesome.
You say there's a problem with your work flow using it. What are you actually having a problem with?
I just dont like the workflow of Guru especially compared to my MPC 4000, I just dont get the whole layout.If you can explain this maybe I'll see it different.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think I'm going to stick with my MPC 4000 as the brains to my operation and take a look into quad desktop and get another high end controller.I'm not ready to just to the Gen5 bandwagon just yet, I think they choose the wrong name for it Bump MP.The MPC sequencer just can't be touched point blank
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
aodagreat - sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.

1. Guru sequencer does not work in the same way that the MPC does. It doesn't control other midi devices through it's sequencer. How ever you can control chromatically and other wise what's placed on the pads(the same as the MPC). Other midi devices would have to be run from your DAW.

2.Guru has eight engines (which is like having 8MPC's running at the same time) each independent of the other.
Meaning you can have different time signatures for each if you want.Within each of the eight engines you have 16 pads, which can have eight individual layers per pad.

3.Guru has a pretty interesting slicer for loops that gives you complete control over what you want sliced and how.
And again this can be used per engine,double time, half time, etc .

4.Guru also has groove quantize(per engine)insert fx and aux fxs. You can shift(per note), gate, reverse, repeat, cut freq, pitch freq etc.

There's just a lot of stuff and I'm probably not even doing it justice with this post.

But I would also have to say if Open Labs has included it in Gen5..........well that should tell you something.
Guru is no joke. Check their web site out and visit their forum Fxpansion.com :: Index lots of information there.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
don't wast your time with those marketing gadgets.....woah they just figure out that beatmakers like to have pads !!!
comon , it seems that a lot of manufacturers are becomin predator in commercial market, it's like that wallstreet bull**** , don't be fouled , don't trust anything , think and make music , even if timbo will bring it in person to my house , i will say : presonus inteface , well i have my fireface, controllers , well i have my remote sl, mpd 24, laptop hp 8710W fully loaded with sonar 8PE and all i need on the road ....+ genelecs 8020 a for on he road prod and pre mixes ...

that boy knows ! ::YouTube - My Neko 64 Modified by me into Mac not IBM
Ok, your point being?

Your Fireface, controllers and laptop with Sonar wont fit into one convenient gig bag as a Miko or Neko would. For remote production purposes, the Presonus interface can more than handle the job. This product is by no means targeted to or priced for everyone, especially in our economy today, but for the everyday working professional it serves its purpose.

Maybe if I wasn't as busy I would build my own all in one solution, but again that is not what I got into this business to waste my time doing. For the guy or gal who wants it all in one box, Openlabs has a good solution. Now if only they could draw up some type of partnership with apple and create a solution for Mac users.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➑️
Maybe if I wasn't as busy I would build my own all in one solution, but again that is not what I got into this business to waste my time doing. For the guy or gal who wants it all in one box, Openlabs has a good solution. Now if only they could draw up some type of partnership with apple and create a solution for Mac users.

Lol I might be building one in a couple years as a DIY project. It'll definately reveal what kind of markup they have on those things.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aodagreat ➑️
I think I'm going to stick with my MPC 4000 as the brains to my operation and take a look into quad desktop and get another high end controller.I'm not ready to just to the Gen5 bandwagon just yet, I think they choose the wrong name for it Bump MP.The MPC sequencer just can't be touched point blank
Point blank......You could build your self a impressive i7 intel machine and buy the Daw you want and good controller and come out way cheap than buying one of these. The only plus I see is the mobility and honestly have of the 3/4 of the people that owns them are stationary. It just doesnt add up.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
aodagreat - sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.

1. Guru sequencer does not work in the same way that the MPC does. It doesn't control other midi devices through it's sequencer. How ever you can control chromatically and other wise what's placed on the pads(the same as the MPC). Other midi devices would have to be run from your DAW.

2.Guru has eight engines (which is like having 8MPC's running at the same time) each independent of the other.
Meaning you can have different time signatures for each if you want.Within each of the eight engines you have 16 pads, which can have eight individual layers per pad.

3.Guru has a pretty interesting slicer for loops that gives you complete control over what you want sliced and how.
And again this can be used per engine,double time, half time, etc .

4.Guru also has groove quantize(per engine)insert fx and aux fxs. You can shift(per note), gate, reverse, repeat, cut freq, pitch freq etc.

There's just a lot of stuff and I'm probably not even doing it justice with this post.

But I would also have to say if Open Labs has included it in Gen5..........well that should tell you something.
Guru is no joke. Check their web site out and visit their forum Fxpansion.com :: Index lots of information there.
Great Info Thanks Alot! The biggest feature of there new Gen5 is the new Bump MP pad controls.It seems to have alot of the MPC features like note repeat & chromatic mode but I was very unsure about the special version of guru that they have included.From what your telling me Guru seems like a awesome program, quick questions: How do you get your sequences from Guru into your DAW? Does it route midi data or audio? How do your arrange you patterns into a song inside guru?

Thanks in advance
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
From what your telling me Guru seems like a awesome program, quick questions: How do you get your sequences from Guru into your DAW? Does it route midi data or audio? How do your arrange you patterns into a song inside guru?

Thanks in advance

Actually there are a couple ways to do it that I know of.
1.After you create the beat you could simply drag and drop to your DAW if you don't want to use the pattern keys in Guru. Then you would edit it, track copy etc like usual in your DAW.

2.This is my method, which is similar to how you work on the MPC. Lets say you make a beat in pattern 1(just like you would do with sequence 1 on your MPC)Lets say that's 4bars. Then you create another 4bar pattern(pattern2) the same as sequence 2 in the MPC.
Now once you create all your patterns is when the fun begins. You can trigger these in any order. You can trigger one bar of a pattern or one note. There are no rules.You can create some wicked turn arounds etc.
Now remember within the patterns while you're doing this
are double time, half time etc rhythms going on and all this madness is perfectly synced to your DAW

Once again I'm only touching the surface of what can be done.
Now here's the trip: I'm running Guru has a vst inside my DAW. It is synced. But now engine 2 is running double time but my actual bmp(tempo) is 80 in my host. So when the artist comes in he's counting 4/4 at 80 instead of trying to feel his way around 160. All of this is done in real time. Killer,killer,killer!!

Has for as arranging a song in Guru. It has what they call scenes. Any pattern or group of patterns with engines can be assigned to a scene. These scenes are then triggered by midi notes from your Daw.

That's just a small example, this piece is awesome. It is the new MPC. That special edition that you spoke about is also the new update that is suppose to be realeased to all current users soon. I can't wait.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
no problem here using a Miko gen 4 with my mpc 2500.
I actually like Guru, you can drag and drop wav samples into pads and use the pads on ur MPC or Bum MP to make a beat.
I don't sequence in Guru, I just use it to load sounds to midi pads (trigger) and use my mpc to sequence. then back from the MP to Reaper or Daw of choice and you are good.
It's extremly convinient, you can take it on the road. I did the regis and kelly show with it. Great tool!!! you can see it in action on these 2 videos:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➑️
no problem here using a Miko gen 4 with my mpc 2500.
I actually like Guru, you can drag and drop wav samples into pads and use the pads on ur MPC or Bum MP to make a beat.
I don't sequence in Guru, I just use it to load sounds to midi pads (trigger) and use my mpc to sequence. then back from the MP to Reaper or Daw of choice and you are good.
It's extremly convinient, you can take it on the road. I did the regis and kelly show with it. Great tool!!! you can see it in action on these 2 videos:

Dig the Miko, cert for on the road. Only my wallet doens't allow me to buy Gen5... either my girlfriend.
Always liked that song men. Its has so nice chill beat melody mix in it, M.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Actually there are a couple ways to do it that I know of.
1.After you create the beat you could simply drag and drop to your DAW if you don't want to use the pattern keys in Guru. Then you would edit it, track copy etc like usual in your DAW.

2.This is my method, which is similar to how you work on the MPC. Lets say you make a beat in pattern 1(just like you would do with sequence 1 on your MPC)Lets say that's 4bars. Then you create another 4bar pattern(pattern2) the same as sequence 2 in the MPC.
Now once you create all your patterns is when the fun begins. You can trigger these in any order. You can trigger one bar of a pattern or one note. There are no rules.You can create some wicked turn arounds etc.
Now remember within the patterns while you're doing this
are double time, half time etc rhythms going on and all this madness is perfectly synced to your DAW

Once again I'm only touching the surface of what can be done.
Now here's the trip: I'm running Guru has a vst inside my DAW. It is synced. But now engine 2 is running double time but my actual bmp(tempo) is 80 in my host. So when the artist comes in he's counting 4/4 at 80 instead of trying to feel his way around 160. All of this is done in real time. Killer,killer,killer!!

Has for as arranging a song in Guru. It has what they call scenes. Any pattern or group of patterns with engines can be assigned to a scene. These scenes are then triggered by midi notes from your Daw.

That's just a small example, this piece is awesome. It is the new MPC. That special edition that you spoke about is also the new update that is suppose to be realeased to all current users soon. I can't wait.
Guru sounds like a winner The major thing I dont want to lose with MPC is the ability to control all of my other VST's which is how I'm currently running my MPC and a laptop.To be able to apply note repeat and other MPC functions is crucial for my workflow with VST's.The sound of the MPC 4000(the last real mpc) is untouchable to me.Just my thoughts on it
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Guru sounds like a winner The major thing I dont want to lose with MPC is the ability to control all of my other VST's which is how I'm currently running my MPC and a laptop.To be able to apply note repeat and other MPC functions is crucial for my workflow with VST's.The sound of the MPC 4000(the last real mpc) is untouchable to me.Just my thoughts on it
Mpcs don't have a sound anymore the 2500 4000 etc... all sound the same ( I have done tests on it) and it's pretty much CD quality so mpc2500 or computer will give a similair kind of sound. on the other hand a 60 or a 3000 WILL have a sound of their own (converters etc...)
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I owned two Mikos Gen 4 its dope but basically a computer if you got the dope vsts it may work for you. You can hear what I did at myspace.com/djeriqavalon
all miko..
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMixaken ➑️
I owned two Mikos Gen 4 its dope but basically a computer if you got the dope vsts it may work for you. You can hear what I did at myspace.com/djeriqavalon
all miko..
what u been up too pimp!?
last time I saw u I think was at B. parent's crib or maybe at that show we had in some arena.
πŸ“ Reply