Quantcast
Engineer Mixing beats... Prices - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Engineer Mixing beats... Prices
Old 4th February 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Engineer Mixing beats... Prices

I am working on a beat CD to shop and I would like the tracks to have atleast a decent mix. I've heard a few beats from other producers and the mixes were definitely on point. What do you guys think is a reasonable price to approach an engineer with.
Old 4th February 2009
  #2
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➑️
I am working on a beat CD to shop and I would like the tracks to have atleast a decent mix. I've heard a few beats from other producers and the mixes were definitely on point. What do you guys think is a reasonable price to approach an engineer with.
For a rough mix from a good engineer? Assuming they can just jump into your DAW session and do their thing with no editing, etc.... Two hours work... $200/ track?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
For a rough mix from a good engineer? Assuming they can just jump into your DAW session and do their thing with no editing, etc.... Two hours work... $200/ track?
That's about what I charge in those situations.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
same here
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Damn... but a beat cd ranges from 8-16 tracks. Thats a little steep don't you think? That could potentially end up being around $3200 for a bunch of beats that might not even get placed. If thats the case how do up and coming producers go about getting their stuff mixed if they don't do it themselves. I've heard beat CD's from Surf Club, Needlz & Calvo Da Gr8 and all there beats have a good rough mix.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You get what you pay for,homes.
Its just the way it goes.
No one in their right mind would even think of working for any less than the amount posted above.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➑️
Damn... but a beat cd ranges from 8-16 tracks. Thats a little steep don't you think?


god damnit!!!

if you dont like the price get out of the game (or go to some kid who has a cracked copy of sx)

you pay that much because (most) engineers are trained and experienced. if you want your beats (by the way its music, not "beats") to sound like sh1t then keep that attitude, if you want them to sound pro then suck it up and realise that the people engineering your "beats" are professionals with infinitly more knowledge than yourself.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️


god damnit!!!

if you dont like the price get out of the game (or go to some kid who has a cracked copy of sx)

you pay that much because (most) engineers are trained and experienced. if you want your beats (by the way its music, not "beats") to sound like sh1t then keep that attitude, if you want them to sound pro then suck it up and realise that the people engineering your "beats" are professionals with infinitly more knowledge thatn yourself.
I said it before and I'll say it again...the term "beats" is so juvenile and ascenine...oh, did I also say ignorant?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
I said it before and I'll say it again...the term "beats" is so juvenile and ascenine...oh, did I also say ignorant?
thank you. its fvcking infuriating isnt it
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Keyflo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
For a rough mix from a good engineer? Assuming they can just jump into your DAW session and do their thing with no editing, etc.... Two hours work... $200/ track?

does that include sequencing as well, becuz my engineer charges extra for sequencing. Clients usually send unmixed loops and crap, and we usually have to sequence them out. But we only charge $95 for a full track and a extra $30 to sequence it, that is if they (the client) doesnt send the session files.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo ➑️
does that include sequencing as well, becuz my engineer charges extra for sequencing. Clients usually send unmixed loops and crap, and we usually have to sequence them out. But we only charge $95 for a full track and a extra $30 to sequence it, that is if they (the client) doesnt send the session files.
sequencing should be extra as its a production role and infact in every other genre would give you some points if the track gets released.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️
thank you. its fvcking infuriating isnt it
It certainly is,bro!!
If one would listen to the tracks from say,a Justin Timberlake song like Sexy Back, versus say,the track to Copacabana by Bary Manilow,would both of the tracks be referred to as "beats" by the HH community??
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️


god damnit!!!

if you dont like the price get out of the game (or go to some kid who has a cracked copy of sx)

you pay that much because (most) engineers are trained and experienced. if you want your beats (by the way its music, not "beats") to sound like sh1t then keep that attitude, if you want them to sound pro then suck it up and realise that the people engineering your "beats" are professionals with infinitly more knowledge than yourself.

Ummm... Ok thanks for the enlightenment.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➑️
Ummm... Ok thanks for the enlightenment.
no problem.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
It certainly is,bro!!
If one would listen to the tracks from say,a Justin Timberlake song like Sexy Back, versus say,the track to Copacabana by Bary Manilow,would both of the tracks be referred to as "beats" by the HH community??
have you heard celine dion's latest beats? hehheh
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️
sequencing should be extra as its a production role and infact in every other genre would give you some points if the track gets released.
$1000 a track and one point for the whole enchilada...for a decent beatmaker just starting out.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Keyflo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️
sequencing should be extra as its a production role and infact in every other genre would give you some points if the track gets released.
its so funny how the loops they send cut off hard so the cross fades dont sound right so there's editing involved but we figure thats a job as a mixing engineer
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo ➑️
its so funny how the loops they send cut off hard so the cross fades dont sound right so there's editing involved but we figure thats a job as a mixing engineer
yeah, maybe we should start charging for topping and tailing time too!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Addict
 
babyface_finsta's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Add an Engineer to your Production Team (and cough up the co-production credit)... You have to do what ya gotta do to be competitive... or bust your ass mixing... I once A&R'd a project... and received a Track Dump of 600 submissions (100 some odd producers and camps)... being a Producer it became blatant why in my past I wasn't getting placements (there are no excuses... and "imagine it when mixed" wont do)...

Here's how that experience went... of the 600 tracks... I quickly narrowed them down to approx 125 tracks (due to straight garabe beats... myspace type crap... or the simple fact that "this is the flavor of the month" and our release date or Phase 3 begins 9 months from now... these tracks wil sound dated)... Of the 600 I knew 125 would interest the Artist (if i didn't play them for him... i coulda be missed out on something)... I narrowed them down to three categories... Stuff I know the Emcee would like (but sounded like crap)... Stuff that could potential be a good record (cool track needs work)... and (%*#& Amazing... Sonically and Creative... which was prolly 12 of the 600)...

I sat down with the Artist... and played the tracks... we quickly narrowed those down to 32 Tracks (and a folder of 20 beats we were against the fence on)... After this I contacted the producers... this is how I narrowed it down to the 8 placements outta the original 600... Most of the producers did not have the sessions (lost or just F*%^ up)... or never tracked out the beat... and finally, just from talking to the Producer (made me throw up in my own mouth), I knew it would be too much of a headache to get what I needed...

Moral of the story... if your not face to face with the artist and he/she can just write and jump in the booth... you better have all your bases covered (esp when emailling tracks)... The production squads that are getting the good looks, are cats that have been where most producers are... and learned that 2 great sounding beats can make you $ quicker than 10 - 50 rough things... I mos def realized that there is a huge delta btw a Producer and a Great Production... the great people stand behind their work and rarely have excuses... Plus they are cmpetitive and wanna win!!!!

BTW... there are great engineers on this board that will mix 4-5 instrumentals for $1,000... If the track is dope... you can easily recoup that 1k... or flip it into $2,500 (low number) and thats without ever having a placement...

Just my 2 pennies...

(as far as price wise... Ican see $50 and hour (ITB)... 4-5 hours a mix... just make sure the session and or stems are cool... and take the guess work out for the engineer...)
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
orangeoctane's Avatar
So you've made the decision to be a businessman in the industry of music.

Figure out how much your beats are potentially going to make. Have you sold a lot before? Are artists coming at you and asking if you have more to sell? Are you getting more than $1000 a beat when you sell one or are you the guy down the street who slings them for $100 and gives it to them on a 2 track CD mix?

Once you know what sort of projected sales potential you're working with, then you can start to calculate what kind of engineer your business proposal can include as a cost of doing business for the mixes. If $200 per track is going to eat all of your profits, then reality slaps you in the face and forces you to find a cheaper alternative which means a lesser quality product you will be able to present to prospective buyers. You'll have no problem finding guys who will do this for $25 an hour but you always get what you pay for.

Run the numbers, figure out what sort of profit margin you expect and then spend accordingly.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
ORyan87's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Or you can just learn it yourself like everyone else did.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Keyflo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta ➑️
Add an Engineer to your Production Team (and cough up the co-production credit)... You have to do what ya gotta do to be competitive... or bust your ass mixing... I once A&R'd a project... and received a Track Dump of 600 submissions (100 some odd producers and camps)... being a Producer it became blatant why in my past I wasn't getting placements (there are no excuses... and "imagine it when mixed" wont do)...

Here's how that experience went... of the 600 tracks... I quickly narrowed them down to approx 125 tracks (due to straight garabe beats... myspace type crap... or the simple fact that "this is the flavor of the month" and our release date or Phase 3 begins 9 months from now... these tracks wil sound dated)... Of the 600 I knew 125 would interest the Artist (if i didn't play them for him... i coulda be missed out on something)... I narrowed them down to three categories... Stuff I know the Emcee would like (but sounded like crap)... Stuff that could potential be a good record (cool track needs work)... and (%*#& Amazing... Sonically and Creative... which was prolly 12 of the 600)...

I sat down with the Artist... and played the tracks... we quickly narrowed those down to 32 Tracks (and a folder of 20 beats we were against the fence on)... After this I contacted the producers... this is how I narrowed it down to the 8 placements outta the original 600... Most of the producers did not have the sessions (lost or just F*%^ up)... or never tracked out the beat... and finally, just from talking to the Producer (made me throw up in my own mouth), I knew it would be too much of a headache to get what I needed...

Moral of the story... if your not face to face with the artist and he/she can just write and jump in the booth... you better have all your bases covered (esp when emailling tracks)... The production squads that are getting the good looks, are cats that have been where most producers are... and learned that 2 great sounding beats can make you $ quicker than 10 - 50 rough things... I mos def realized that there is a huge delta btw a Producer and a Great Production... the great people stand behind their work and rarely have excuses... Plus they are cmpetitive and wanna win!!!!

BTW... there are great engineers on this board that will mix 4-5 instrumentals for $1,000... If the track is dope... you can easily recoup that 1k... or flip it into $2,500 (low number) and thats without ever having a placement...

Just my 2 pennies...

(as far as price wise... Ican see $50 and hour (ITB)... 4-5 hours a mix... just make sure the session and or stems are cool... and take the guess work out for the engineer...)

My engineer does ITB, but he's moving up, we are starting to invest in more outboard stuff. But he's also a producer as well so, and he knows how to make my stuff sound good....
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
I said it before and I'll say it again...the term "beats" is so juvenile and ascenine...oh, did I also say ignorant?
I've always felt the same way... When someone tells me they make beats I feel like I can't take them serious because they don't take themselves serious enough to not use the same terms that a 12y/o would use. Say I "compose music" or "produce music" but when you ask someone... "Hey so what do you?" "I make beats".. Then that already says something to me about the level they are on and the mind frame they are in. I think its a certain level of maturity that you reach in this business and if you want ppl to take you serious, you have to conduct and carry yourself in a professional manner in which is appropriate for this business. Sit down in front of anyone that can change your life in this business and you tell them you make beats, they will probably say.."Next"
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo ➑️
My engineer does ITB, but he's moving up, we are starting to invest in more outboard stuff. But he's also a producer as well so, and he knows how to make my stuff sound good....
Outboard is definitely nice, but that does not equate to "moving up." I have a decent amount of outboard gear(good outboard) but I tend to use my uad plugs because its much easier and quicker.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
bgrotto's Avatar
$200/track seems about right for me, too. Maybe a *hair* low, depending on the time of year. Plus I charge $50/hour for any editing that needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➑️
Damn... but a beat cd ranges from 8-16 tracks. Thats a little steep don't you think?
Obviously the answer to that question is no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➑️
That could potentially end up being around $3200 for a bunch of beats that might not even get placed.
Heh, nice. Hate to break it to ya, bro, but if your beats aren't getting placed, that's not the engineer's fault or problem. Make better beats. Or don't throw any half-assed tracks on your beat CD. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➑️
If thats the case how do up and coming producers go about getting their stuff mixed if they don't do it themselves. I've heard beat CD's from Surf Club, Needlz & Calvo Da Gr8 and all there beats have a good rough mix.
I don't know about those producers you listed, but maybe they are mixing themselves. Or maybe they have a spec deal worked out with a mixer (mixer gets paid a little bit to do a mix, then paid more when the beat is sold).

Or maybe they just give more of a **** than you and don't mind paying more for higher quality.

Seriously, man, if $200/song seems high to you, you gotta reconsider your approach, and you gotta lot of studying up to do. Most cases, when you're hiring a professional to mix your ****, you're paying for both the engineer AND the studio time. Studio time ain't cheap. And someone who's spent their adult life learning their craft is gonna expect to make a little money exercising those skills, and $200 is most definitely a "little" money...

Like Philly said, ya get what ya pay for, holmes.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
you guys are crazy!! $200 is wayyy too much!! I bought a 480L, neve 1084 LA2a, British analog console w/ flying faders, Avalon, Universal audio stuff, Transient designer and all my outboard gear plus over 10 years of work so I can mix tracks for $50...that makes sens..NO??

EDIT: I just got some dude asking me to mix his song for $50 after seeing this thread....Some people just don't understand IRONY!!!!....
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
bgrotto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➑️
you guys are crazy!! $200 is wayyy too much!! I bought a 480L, neve 1084 LA2a, British analog console w/ flying faders, Avalon, Universal audio stuff, Transient designer and all my outboard gear plus over 10 years of work so I mix tracks for $50...that makes sens..NO??
heh
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Alxi's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Like said before. I think you should either team up with someone if you don't have the money to pay a Professionnal like some of the guys here..or work with an up and coming engineer that's willing to work on the cheap for the experience. heh

-Alxi-
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx ➑️
I've always felt the same way... When someone tells me they make beats I feel like I can't take them serious because they don't take themselves serious enough to not use the same terms that a 12y/o would use. Say I "compose music" or "produce music" but when you ask someone... "Hey so what do you?" "I make beats".. Then that already says something to me about the level they are on and the mind frame they are in. I think its a certain level of maturity that you reach in this business and if you want ppl to take you serious, you have to conduct and carry yourself in a professional manner in which is appropriate for this business. Sit down in front of anyone that can change your life in this business and you tell them you make beats, they will probably say.."Next"
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Back in the day when I first hear the term "beat box" referred to for a drum machine I wanted to puke!!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx ➑️
I've always felt the same way... When someone tells me they make beats I feel like I can't take them serious because they don't take themselves serious enough to not use the same terms that a 12y/o would use. Say I "compose music" or "produce music" but when you ask someone... "Hey so what do you?" "I make beats".. Then that already says something to me about the level they are on and the mind frame they are in. I think its a certain level of maturity that you reach in this business and if you want ppl to take you serious, you have to conduct and carry yourself in a professional manner in which is appropriate for this business. Sit down in front of anyone that can change your life in this business and you tell them you make beats, they will probably say.."Next"
well most people DO make beats!! it takes more the a few Vsts and Fruitloop to be able to say' I COMPOSE MUSIC or I'M A PRODUCER. a Producer is SO MUCH MORE then a beatmaker...most people especially in the Hip Hop world are NOT producers, they just....make beats
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 100 views: 45906
Avatar for nyandres
nyandres 29th May 2021
replies: 29196 views: 3117012
Avatar for norbury brook
norbury brook 18 minutes ago
replies: 547 views: 65442
Avatar for psycho_monkey
psycho_monkey 1st October 2015
replies: 152 views: 45411
Avatar for electro
electro 25th June 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump