Engineer Mixing beats... Prices - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Engineer Mixing beats... Prices
Old 27th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese ➡️
So wait... so you're saying that mixing engineers are overpaid also? Cause I would never pay some dumbass to throw a ball in a basket more than 25,000 a year.
This says it all right here. If you are unwilling to shell out money for quality, how do you expect to make any money? For the amount a basketball player gets paid, they generate several times that amount in revenue for various sources. Why wouldn't you make that investment? If you stand a good chance to place a track and an even better chance to place it with a good mix, why wouldn't you spend the money?

Of course it's not going to be worth it to spend $200 to mix a track you are going to give away (unless it gets you further work) but if you don't have properly mixed tracks, you are reducing your potential income and basically giving away business to people who have their **** together.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
anyone complaining about the term "beats" needs to ****ing retire immed. u old washed up men. thats what they're ****ing called, ur not some kind of elite artist, u make ****ing beats
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! ➡️
This says it all right here. If you are unwilling to shell out money for quality, how do you expect to make any money? For the amount a basketball player gets paid, they generate several times that amount in revenue for various sources. Why wouldn't you make that investment? If you stand a good chance to place a track and an even better chance to place it with a good mix, why wouldn't you spend the money?

Of course it's not going to be worth it to spend $200 to mix a track you are going to give away (unless it gets you further work) but if you don't have properly mixed tracks, you are reducing your potential income and basically giving away business to people who have their **** together.
False. That's something today's industry idiots came up with. Who in there right mind would pay to have a "BEAT" mixed. That doesn't make sense. If an artist, manager or A&R can't see the potential in a rough mix then they don't like it or need to be fired.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousVilla1n ➡️
anyone complaining about the term "beats" needs to ****ing retire immed. u old washed up men. thats what they're ****ing called, ur not some kind of elite artist, u make ****ing beats
You'll be banned before sunrise.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
about 4-5 years ago I took about 4 songs to get mastered by an engineer that works for a major record label company, the dude did nothing special... actually I ended up trying to "master" my own stuff and my work ended up sounding better than the work this guy did. Anyone in this forum that has decent gear and some years of experience would be stupid to pay any of these cocky "producers" money to mix YOUR MUSIC. Maybe alot of you have secure clients under your belt but man, if I was running a business here, I WOULD be the humbled one offering my services and helping others in forums like this (Tony being an example) you got a guy here that likes soul?? in a HIP HOP forum bashing on everyone for anything HE thinks is right.... calling "beats".... beats, is ignorant?? Hey HOME SLICE you might as well give Method Man a guitar some cowboy boots and have him sing a REAL song right?? cause everyone loves Dr. DRE for his songs right?? give me a break dude. Who's the ignorant here?

dfegad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➡️
Ummm... Ok thanks for the enlightenment.
With the modern "it's just a beat"-mentality, you'll never get your product where you want it to be.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gduron ➡️
about 4-5 years ago I took about 4 songs to get mastered by an engineer that works for a major record label company, the dude did nothing special... actually I ended up trying to "master" my own stuff and my work ended up sounding better than the work this guy did.

dfegad
Did you pay him to mix the songs or to master them? Personally, I wouldn't pay a mixing engineer to master a song. Two different jobs.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi ➡️
Did you pay him to mix the songs or to master them? Personally, I wouldn't pay a mixing engineer to master a song. Two different jobs.
mastering engineer to master
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gduron ➡️
mastering engineer to master
Oh. IMO, stick with The Bass Brian's and the Sterling Sound's. I haven't heard a bad master out of them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike ➡️
False. That's something today's industry idiots came up with. Who in there right mind would pay to have a "BEAT" mixed. That doesn't make sense. If an artist, manager or A&R can't see the potential in a rough mix then they don't like it or need to be fired.
You living in a fantasy world. When's the last time an A&R discovered a new act that actually did well? You pay to have your beat mixed to stand out among the rest of the idiots flooding the industry with their ****.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It's funny that a lot of you argue "fact" in an industry where the ear varies from person to person, and habits, and ways of doing business can be night and day from artist to artist, producer to producer, studio to studio, & label to label.

I understand both flips of the coin cause I live right in the middle of it. I'm a broke, working artist, working under a multi-platinum producer. I know he can't live off of $200 beats, mixes, and sessions, but in my world $200 is my groceries for half a month.

I haven't been on this forum long, but I noticed a lot of you established people forget that not everyone can afford to just have everything sound 'perfect' or invest and hope for the best. Let's say you have an independent artist, and he makes $15/hr max in a day job: Majority of their money is going to their living expenses and needs in life, then lets say they want to pursue music seriously. Potentially putting together nice lil album getting soundclick beats about 14 tracks? around $500 with some leases, $3500+ if they wanna own the 'beats' they use. If they don't have a home studio with nice quality, then studio time. Using myself as an example if I have the song written and ready, lets say an hour to get the sound perfectly how they want it so, in an ok rate $80/hr $1200. now if they want it mixed/master you add that varied rate, plus amounts to get it pressed printed and do a lil promo. We're talking a good investment of about $10,000. making $15/hr is about $29,000. So typically I've seen people take 4 years to do an independent project, and by that time the sound of music has shifted.... oh well I guess?

And you and complain that independent artist don't want to pay for ****, cause they can't afford it duh!! I don't know how hard it is to understand, if you can't stand artists that can't afford your rates, don't cater to them and don't associate with them, don't be mad when you say a great deal for you is $200/hr to mix your track, and they look at you crazy, it's most likely cause that's just another hole in their pocket, not cause they wouldn't pay you if they had it. Unfortunately you gotta realize artists these days aren't hip to the biz and the amount of investing it really requires just to see an ounce of success and return, so don't be offended and jump to your plateau if someone say's $3200 is way too much to risk for them.

On the flip side anyone taken back by their rates, gotta understand, they operate on another lever, whether or not they earned it, or lucked into it, that's their realm. Their will be others like them trying to get their feet wet like you, just nod and smile and move on till you find them, cause obviously telling them they aren't worth it will not only insult whatever effort they put into it, but if they have potential clients questioning their worth, you damage their potential income. Just respect that's their quote and say "okay." don't be butt-hurt. I know I can't afford my boss's $5000 starting rate for just the 'beat' alone, so I don't ever ask outside of a friendly joke, I just continue doing what I can afford, which involves learning on my own, I even engineer my own self and learn how to mix my own ****.

So if you can't afford it, teach yourself, it's not going to hurt and you will obviously be able to tell if it sounds worse than before, so unless worse appeals, can't hurt. But seriously, music is an opinion-driven gamble. What sounds awesome to one person, can be garbage to the next, and rates can change everyday. I see no need to look at someone as inferior based on their terminology or ability to afford a service, you don't know that person's background so don't jump the gun on someone like that. But don't think these figures come out of their assholes, from what I've seen $200 to mix an instrumental is really a good deal compared to what some will tax you.

Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz ➡️
I am working on a beat CD to shop and I would like the tracks to have atleast a decent mix. I've heard a few beats from other producers and the mixes were definitely on point. What do you guys think is a reasonable price to approach an engineer with.
Sorry for my ignorance but...
What is a Beat CD to shop?
Thanks,
Pupo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair-A-Dyce ➡️
I haven't been on this forum long, but I noticed a lot of you established people forget that not everyone can afford to just have everything sound 'perfect' or invest and hope for the best. Let's say you have an independent artist, and he makes $15/hr max in a day job: Majority of their money is going to their living expenses and needs in life, then lets say they want to pursue music seriously. Potentially putting together nice lil album getting soundclick beats about 14 tracks? around $500 with some leases, $3500+ if they wanna own the 'beats' they use. If they don't have a home studio with nice quality, then studio time. Using myself as an example if I have the song written and ready, lets say an hour to get the sound perfectly how they want it so, in an ok rate $80/hr $1200. now if they want it mixed/master you add that varied rate, plus amounts to get it pressed printed and do a lil promo. We're talking a good investment of about $10,000. making $15/hr is about $29,000. So typically I've seen people take 4 years to do an independent project, and by that time the sound of music has shifted.... oh well I guess?
lol thats why rappers sell drugs, i can't knock the hustle
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I haven't been on this forum long, but I noticed a lot of you established people forget that not everyone can afford to just have everything sound 'perfect' or invest and hope for the best. Let's say you have an independent artist, and he makes $15/hr max in a day job: Majority of their money is going to their living expenses and needs in life, then lets say they want to pursue music seriously. Potentially putting together nice lil album getting soundclick beats about 14 tracks? around $500 with some leases, $3500+ if they wanna own the 'beats' they use. If they don't have a home studio with nice quality, then studio time. Using myself as an example if I have the song written and ready, lets say an hour to get the sound perfectly how they want it so, in an ok rate $80/hr $1200. now if they want it mixed/master you add that varied rate, plus amounts to get it pressed printed and do a lil promo. We're talking a good investment of about $10,000. making $15/hr is about $29,000. So typically I've seen people take 4 years to do an independent project, and by that time the sound of music has shifted....
Well said. That's the situation we are in. It's better just to do a demo and go from there. With that being said, I started on this project over in 2004 and this demo still isn't done and it's 2010 now. You gotta pick your battles.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS ➡️
More like that's why drug dealers become rappers. We see how that turned out.

GUCCI!

FLOCKA!

smh
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS ➡️
That's what a producer told me to do when I told him, I can't afford to just buy beats left and right. He flat out said, "you're a rapper, sell drugs or something so you'll have something to talk about." He was half kidding...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's what a producer told me to do when I told him, I can't afford to just buy beats left and right. He flat out said, "you're a rapper, sell drugs or something so you'll have something to talk about." He was half kidding...
well... hes a producer
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Not sure why you'd have a beat mixed for demo purposes anyway? If the material is good enough, the track will get sold/placed regardless, then mixed and mastered after vocals are recorded.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBeats ➡️
Not sure why you'd have a beat mixed for demo purposes anyway? If the material is good enough, the track will get sold/placed regardless, then mixed and mastered after vocals are recorded.
Exactly. It just needs a mix that is good enough to listen to and that is it. Why pay to mix when it will be mixed again most likely. Why pay for someone to undo your work. I mean, if you are horrible at mixing, you need to just learn to do it right and invest in the proper monitors to mix well enough so your music sounds decent.

Too much oppinion here
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➡️
Hey, with all do respect, lets keep my rates off of public forums. Much appreciated. -Ken
^ My influence :D
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousVilla1n ➡️
ur not some kind of elite artist, u make ****ing beats

Actually the guy who doesn't like the term "Beatmaker or Beats" is The Elite Artist that probably wrote,produced and recorded the same record your dad put on before he humped your mom and accidently started the fusion of his and her DNA which is the cause of your annoying presence on this planet.

Weird,.. If PhillySoulMan could have forseen this he probably would have chosen an other profession.

Haha,...Frikkin karma,... You record something that's gonna be used in a setting to get some chick slippery wet,...she gets pregnant and the kid she poops out of her cloaca gets annoyed and attacks you,...

It's the Circle of Life,........
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosh ➡️
Actually the guy who doesn't like the term "Beatmaker or Beats" is The Elite Artist that probably wrote,produced and recorded the same record your dad put on before he humped your mom and accidently started the fusion of his and her DNA which is the cause of your annoying presence on this planet.

Weird,.. If PhillySoulMan could have forseen this he probably would have chosen an other profession.

Haha,...Frikkin karma,... You record something that's gonna be used in a setting to get some chick slippery wet,...she gets pregnant and the kid she poops out of her cloaca gets annoyed and attacks you,...

It's the Circle of Life,........
hahahahhahahahaha thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese ➡️
That's what was confusing to me. Everyone is talking about paying someone in the hundreds to make a beat, in turn, leaving you with a beat that will most likely get another mix... so what's the point?

Another thing I was thinking about was, when you have a guy mix your beat (I never had anyone do so), will he give you a stereo bounce of the mix, or will he give you all the separate tracks/stems? Cause if he just gives you a stereo track, well... it's pointless to have an instrumental mixed.
Im always amazed at how many rappers dont care about getting tracked beats. They assume that if the beat is mixed they can throw their vocals on top. I have actually had rappers say they don't want to buy beats from me because of the mix of the demo beat.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBeats ➡️
because a lot of rappers aren't informed enough to know that you have to have the vocals and the beat mixed together. I try using the cake scenario (if you try to bake a cake and forget the eggs u cant add them after attempting to bake) but its usually useless trying to explain to them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not going to get to deep into this thread, because I haven't read it all - and most of what I read reflects the overall nature of the audio world as a whole, which I think people should take note of.

On the one hand you have serious mixing engineers saying 200$/song, which is totally reasonable and fair.

On the other hand you have musicians/beat makers going "why would I ever pay anyone with a terrible attitude to mess up my music." Which I feel is reflective of the overall atmosphere these days.

so:

A) If you've ever had experience with a GOOD engineer, you know WHY they are worth 200$/song (much more actually, it's really a steal).

B) If you've ever had experience with a BAD engineer, you understand why you would never want to go down that road again.

There are really only three things a great engineer needs : A thorough ear, a mastery of technique and equipment, and the ability to relate to their client. If you can find someone who's going to bring out the best in your music the way you want it heard, it's DEFINITELY worth 200$ song.

LASTLY - IF YOU DON'T HAVE PLACEMENTS AND CONNECTIONS, DON'T MAKE AN ENTIRE FULL LENGTH ALBUM. IT MAKES NO SENSE. ESPECIALLY IF IT'S YOUR FIRST SERIOUS MUSICAL ENDEAVOR.

Make a full lengther in your friend's home studio. Push that on your own. Get some headway into the reality of being a musician. A year later, take the two songs you still like from the 19 cuts you made, write 2 or 3 more, AND THEN go to a pro spot. Do 5 songs. Spend 4-5 Grand, including production, recording, mixing, and mastering, duplication, artwork, and promotion. You really only need to promote 1 song. STOP TRYING TO MAKE FULL LENGTH ALBUMS FOR 500 DOLLARS AND EXPECTING TO COMPETE WITH EVEN INDIE LABELS. FORGET MAJORS.

Isn't this just common sense, really?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➡️
I'm not going to get to deep into this thread, because I haven't read it all - and most of what I read reflects the overall nature of the audio world as a whole, which I think people should take note of.

On the one hand you have serious mixing engineers saying 200$/song, which is totally reasonable and fair.

On the other hand you have musicians/beat makers going "why would I ever pay anyone with a terrible attitude to mess up my music." Which I feel is reflective of the overall atmosphere these days.

so:

A) If you've ever had experience with a GOOD engineer, you know WHY they are worth 200$/song (much more actually, it's really a steal).

B) If you've ever had experience with a BAD engineer, you understand why you would never want to go down that road again.

There are really only three things a great engineer needs : A thorough ear, a mastery of technique and equipment, and the ability to relate to their client. If you can find someone who's going to bring out the best in your music the way you want it heard, it's DEFINITELY worth 200$ song.

LASTLY - IF YOU DON'T HAVE PLACEMENTS AND CONNECTIONS, DON'T MAKE AN ENTIRE FULL LENGTH ALBUM. IT MAKES NO SENSE. ESPECIALLY IF IT'S YOUR FIRST SERIOUS MUSICAL ENDEAVOR.

Make a full lengther in your friend's home studio. Push that on your own. Get some headway into the reality of being a musician. A year later, take the two songs you still like from the 19 cuts you made, write 2 or 3 more, AND THEN go to a pro spot. Do 5 songs. Spend 4-5 Grand, including production, recording, mixing, and mastering, duplication, artwork, and promotion. You really only need to promote 1 song. STOP TRYING TO MAKE FULL LENGTH ALBUMS FOR 500 DOLLARS AND EXPECTING TO COMPETE WITH EVEN INDIE LABELS. FORGET MAJORS.

Isn't this just common sense, really?
while I agree that $200 for a good engineer is worth every penny in a lot of scenarios it doesn't make sense financially to do so for a lot of producers or artists who are looking to get their work mixed. For example now a days most producers are lucky to make $100 on a beat unless they ***** it out on Soundclick or something in the independent market. Most people are selling beats now for $50 or less and some have trouble even doing that. So If I am selling a beat for $50 and it may or may not sell it doesn't make sense to pay that much for a mixed track. Even though the sound is totally worth the $200 if I am in the business of selling beats $200 a beat just doesn't make sense in this market even.
Old 28th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't sell beats for $50 then. Don't lower the market value because you can't afford to be in business. If it costs $200 to mix your beats down, then don't sell them for less then $200.00. If people can't afford it, tell them to save up. That's what i do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree with Xabition.

I have had some of my beats mixed and they completely messed it up. I think $200 for a good engineer would be cool,less would be better.I wouldnt mind an engineer in my team. Presentation is so important. It seems that alot members on here are rich or comfortable to spend money at will and look down on members with lower budgets.$200 is alot of money for alot of people,especially if you arent making that much per track. It could be an investment but you really have to find the right clientele.

The market is messed up for everyone. Everybody and there mama is an engineer,producer,artist etc. I see people mixing tracks and selling beats for $10.I even saw a buy 1 and get 50 free. I was like WTF.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton ➡️
while I agree that $200 for a good engineer is worth every penny in a lot of scenarios it doesn't make sense financially to do so for a lot of producers or artists who are looking to get their work mixed. For example now a days most producers are lucky to make $100 on a beat unless they ***** it out on Soundclick or something in the independent market. Most people are selling beats now for $50 or less and some have trouble even doing that. So If I am selling a beat for $50 and it may or may not sell it doesn't make sense to pay that much for a mixed track. Even though the sound is totally worth the $200 if I am in the business of selling beats $200 a beat just doesn't make sense in this market even.
You know, I do see your point. For a while I was doing "mixtape mixes". I'd charge 50$, throw down for a couple of hours, crank out a decent mix and send it back. The problems were three fold. One, people started asking for too much and giving me a hard time. Two, people were rarely able to provide me with stems, so I basically mixed the vocals to the 2-track - and for those who know, that either requires very little, or a WHOLE lot. Three, I couldn't explain to anyone in a satisfactory way why I was charging 50$ for some mixes, and 250$ for others.

I made a pretty good amount of money doing this, but ultimately it became a serious hastle.

I also tried the consultation thing, but NOBODY wants to pay for direction and advice. So now I just do consultation for free as part of my approach when I'm working with someone.

IRONICALLY, I just lost a client because mixing would have went over their budget. What I tried to tell them from the beginning was that if they just told me their budget and took me up on some consultation they'd be able to get from beginning to end within their means. But they did neither.

Most of us who are getting paid a decent sum for our time DO realize that we justify that with our work ethic and commitment to the task at hand.

But I agree, the 50$ beats are best mixed by the beat maker. OR, have a pro mix one or two of them and take that as learning session.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't understand the issue here. @ $200 for mixing a beat for shopping purposes, that's gonna come from a top notch mix engineer. I know I certainly don't charge that much. And that's kind of the point. You can go ahead and get Mr. Big for $$$ or you can get Chris Carter for $$ or you can get Binky the Clown for $ (not representing the number of zeros, just saying "more" or "less" money). If you are placing beats for a couple grand, then you can afford $$$ to get your beats mixed and it will be well worth it. If you are selling beats for freakin' $199, then it makes no sense to spend $$$. I wouldn't even spend $$ if you are selling beats for that little. If you are selling beats for that little, then pay $ to the kid down teh street. Will it sound as good as the $$$ job? No. Will it sound as good as the $$ job? No. But you can't afford $$$ or $$ so you are stuck with $. That said, anybody who can only pay $199 for a beat probably is shopping from beat-makers who mostly suck and have sloppy mixes so your $ mix will sound great in comparison and you'll get the gig.

It's that simple.

If you are gonna buy salmon, you can buy the fresh stuff for $$$ or the frozen stuff for $$ or the **** in a can for $. Buy what you can afford. The stuff that tastes better will cost more. You have to decide how good you want it to taste and then decide if you can afford it.
📝 Reply