Quantcast
Engineer Mixing beats... Prices - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Engineer Mixing beats... Prices
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
i've seen great mixers turn the most mediocre, crap-sounding song into an amazing record. same can be done with an instrumental.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➡️
It's late so I know I probably didn't explain myself very well. Sorry!

I know they are different. But my point was that they can be looked at in similar ways by different people. An artist wants to here a great track...not a track with good potential with piss poor sounds. A lot of A&R's, label execs, and managers want to hear the FINAL track.....not a great track with a piss poor mix. So what I'm saying is that you should not only have a great song or beat but also a great mix. I know people disagree with me about the mix part but that's my philosophy.

EDIT: But then again, I'm not only shopping beats and shopping complete songs, I'm also showing my overall production/mixing skills. In fact, I've gotten gigs as a mixer just because my songs were sonically pleasing to the ear of the people listening. Thinking about it more, I can see how a beat maker or producer who just wants to sell their "beats" or "songs" might not be as concerned about a great mix as me. But the way I see it, even if they don't like the track, they might like the sonics so I go 100% on everything.
WORD!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow @ this thread. To the op a great way to get beats mixed cheaply is to go to a studio who has engineers on payroll and offers them with sessions at usually a lower hourly rate. I've never heard of $200 per mix outside of major markets. Where I'm at there's a studio that will charge you $25 an hour and it comes with an engineer and at that point u can do whatever u want. Some producers used to go there to make beats. I myself have only gone there to record at artist request. I've sent songs there for mixing that came out pretty good all things considered too.
Old 26th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
what does, let's say, a mike dean or ken lewis ask for a mix. not just a beat, but a whole song, with vocals and all for an independent artist?
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNose ➡️
what does, let's say, a mike dean or ken lewis ask for a mix. not just a beat, but a whole song, with vocals and all for an independent artist?
Go on their site and ask them, it's pretty simple to do so.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNose ➡️
Hey, with all do respect, lets keep my rates off of public forums. Much appreciated. -Ken
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
There is Ken right there... Ask him in a PM.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➡️
I said it before and I'll say it again...the term "beats" is so juvenile and ascenine...oh, did I also say ignorant?
yeah, i hate that as much as the description of these so called "beats"
you know "banging" "club banga" "street" the best is the "story beat"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese ➡️
I don't understand how someone who doesn't even make the music gets payed so much to just mix it. I never understood why mixing engineers get so much guap for pushing some faders and adding a few effects. I mean give me someone's beat and I don't even mix, but I'll bet you I can get it to sound at least decent with just my PT stock plugs. I don't know, I may be wrong... but most people sell theyre (beats for the lack of a better term) for $200. Are you telling me that the mix is going to be worth that or more? I mean that's just ****ing ridiculous and stupid. How does someone who is not even an artist get payed so much for that? How?

I spend days on a beat changing it, rearranging things, replaying parts, trashing it eventually if I don't like it... and all that to pay some engineer to mix it (and for all I know add an eq and a verb) for at least $200? That's bull****. I guess all engineers are ballers huh?
There are so many false assumptions here I don't even know where to start.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't understand how someone who doesn't even make the music gets payed so much to just mix it. I never understood why mixing engineers get so much guap for pushing some faders and adding a few effects. I mean give me someone's beat and I don't even mix, but I'll bet you I can get it to sound at least decent with just my PT stock plugs. I don't know, I may be wrong... but most people sell theyre (beats for the lack of a better term) for $200. Are you telling me that the mix is going to be worth that or more? I mean that's just ****ing ridiculous and stupid. How does someone who is not even an artist get payed so much for that? How?

I spend days on a beat changing it, rearranging things, replaying parts, trashing it eventually if I don't like it... and all that to pay some engineer to mix it (and for all I know add an eq and a verb) for at least $200? That's bull****. I guess all engineers are ballers huh?
If it takes you days to figure out if a beat is a keeper or not, then you don't have the "ear" experience needed yet. It should instantly appeal to you or not. Secondly, what is the purpose of mixing in your mind. The same way television shows and movies have that "finished" look, music has to have that polished, lush sound. You know what, that might be one of the reasons why hip-hop today sucks. The music sucks and the mixes suck. I can't stand the sound quality of those trashy ass mixtapes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How do I really know the plugins he are using are Waves Diamond bundle and UAD 2 and not stock Digi plugins?
Dude, the plugs are like 5-10%, the skill/room is the other 90-95%. By your logic here, you'd be better off sending it off to a $10 per track waves mercury pirator.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You are paying for skill. Why does Kobe or Lebron get paid so much money?

They are great at what they do.

A great mix will make a good song sound great.

A mediore mix will make a good song sound terrible.

The composition and mixing is what separates the underground "beat makers" from the pro producers. The closer the instrumental sounds to a hit the better the artist is able to come up with ideas and write that hit.

If you can't understand that, you never will.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi ➡️
You are paying for skill. Why does Kobe or Lebron get paid so much money?

They are great at what they do.

A great mix will make a good song sound great.

A mediore mix will make a good song sound terrible.

If you can't understand that, you never will.
Uh, no A mediocre mix will make a good song sound mediocre. A bad mix will make a good song sound terrible.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike ➡️
Uh, no A mediocre mix will make a good song sound mediocre. A bad mix will make a good song sound terrible.
Anything under a C is failing. IMO. Word it the way you want.

A - Great
B - Good
C - Okay
D - Failing
D - Failing
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
0 points for logic.

Back to the subject.

I would like to hear one of my beats mixed by someone, but I don't want to pay anything until I am certain that mixing will indeed be worth that money. Otherwise, I could buy a great VI for that money and mix my own **** how I know to mix it. I heard too many stories of people not being satisfied with the mix and saying "the song was better before the mix." I certainly don't want to fall in that trap. I mean we're not talking about a guy doing drywall in your house that you can actually see working and see the results...
Stories of people not being satisfied? And how many of these people paid a PRO to mix their stuff? 0?

With that attitude, why should anybody want to pay you more than $5 for a track? You don't respect the craft.

Let alone, why would any of the engineers on this site even give you the time of day? Take that **** back to FruityLoops.com

No wonder your name is Mr. Cheese.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic ➡️
Dude, the plugs are like 5-10%, the skill/room is the other 90-95%. By your logic here, you'd be better off sending it off to a $10 per track waves mercury pirator.
Another failed logic. Mixing:

Room 30%

Trained ear to know what to do/not to do 70%
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Another failed logic. Mixing:

Room 30%

Trained ear to know what to do/not to do 70%

So, let me guess you mix without plugins?

Quote:
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Another failed logic.
Man that's not my point, I was saying that room/ears was the most important part, and the difference between stock plugs and great plugs is less noticeable than the difference between a bad engineer in a bad room and a good engineer in a good room.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So, let me guess you mix without plugins?
It has nothing to do with plugins lol. Many people have plugins but don't know what the hell to do with them. Your job as a mixing engineer is to:

Perfect the musical intentions of the producer and the artist
Correct any mistakes that there may be
Replace a sound if it doesn't sound right in the mix
Sonically arrange the track so it has the upmost impact on the listener
Balance the entire sound spectrum and tone of the entire album----
The mix of a particular song has to coincide with other songs on the album tone-wise
Replay or retrack parts if need be.(Becoming a lost art, I know)
Be able to tell an artist that the track will not work
Have respect for his/her name. Don't mix any and everything you get thrown
Old 27th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It has nothing to do with plugins lol. Many people have plugins but don't know what the hell to do with them. Your job as a mixing engineer is to:

Perfect the musical intentions of the producer and the artist
Correct any mistakes that there may be
Replace a sound if it doesn't sound right in the mix
Sonically arrange the track so it has the upmost impact on the listener
Balance the entire sound spectrum and tone of the entire album----
The mix of a particular song has to coincide with other songs on the album tone-wise.
Replay or retrack parts if need be.(Becoming a lost art, I know)
Be able to tell an artist that the track will not work
I know what a mixer does along with everyone else. You "failed logic" posts are not meaningful. Do you want to feel special?

What are you arguing against? Exactly?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know what a mixer does along with everyone else. You "failed logic" posts are not meaningful. Do you want to feel special?

What are you arguing against? Exactly?
There is no argument from me. You just keep going on and on and on about plugins like they are music's savior when they are nothing but tools of the trade. Wanna know how to damn near instantly get that finished record sound. Grab some API 560s 550a's, bs, and a API 2500, learn to use them and then come back and talk to me.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well.... where to begin.....

I get $500 to mix a song. The beatmaker got what, a couple grand for the beat, plus the publishing royalties which could be anywhere from almost nothing to almost an assload of money. Obviously, for mixing just a beat I charge considerably less. But still the beatmaker will make out pretty well if he places the beat.

Now if you are only getting $200 for a beat, then you probably aren't selling beats to people who really care much about the quality of the mixes they hear when previwing them. And if you are good at mixing your own beats, then you don't need a mix engineer period.

I guess what I'm saying, Mr. Cheese, is I don't understand what the heck you are complaining about.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is no argument from me. You just keep going on and on and on about plugins like they are music's savior when they are nothing but tools of the trade. Wanna know how to damn near instantly get that finished record sound. Grab some API 560s 550a's, bs, and a API 2500, learn to use them and then come back and talk to me.
Did I ask how to get that finished record sound? No.

I don't ask questions, I answer them. The correct answer would be to take the song to a person who knows what they are doing. That is called skills.

Skills > *

Everyone who mixes needs hardware, software, a mixing bowl or what ever tools they need to mix with.

So what are you arguing?

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➡️
well most people DO make beats!! it takes more the a few Vsts and Fruitloop to be able to say' I COMPOSE MUSIC or I'M A PRODUCER. a Producer is SO MUCH MORE then a beatmaker...most people especially in the Hip Hop world are NOT producers, they just....make beats
But I like making beats in fruity loops. It's a good time.

Seriously thou, I make beatz, you call me a beat man... My advice is save your money up and pay the professional they're rate its worth it once you get the product back. Your music sounds 1000% better after an experienced engineer gets a hold of it.

Back to Fruity Loops and my funky rap tunes.fuuck
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How the **** did you guys start arguing?
That's what I am trying to figure out. When somebody finds out, please let me know.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Did I ask how to get that finished record sound? No.

I don't ask questions, I answer them. The correct answer would be to take the song to a person who knows what they are doing. That is called skills.

Skills > *

Everyone who mixes needs hardware, software, a mixing bowl or what ever tools they need to mix with.

So what are you arguing?

I see you want an argument but it aint gonna happen. While you at it, grab some Glade plugins too. They work hella good for the money.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Nope....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How the **** did you guys start arguing?
lmao, only mikey would find a way to disagree with someone who disagrees with someone he disagrees with.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lmao, only mikey would find a way to disagree with someone who disagrees with someone he disagrees with.
📝 Reply