Quantcast
Rappers! Compressor Unit Use? Help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rappers! Compressor Unit Use? Help!
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Rappers! Compressor Unit Use? Help!

Im new to the recording side of things. have few questions. would appreciate your help.

Is compression needed for tracking rap vocals? one of my engineer said yes cause if the artist gets too loud, and its tracked that way, u cant undo the damage in the mixing. its better to be on the safe side. he right?

is it difficult to use a compressor at home studio in your room environment.. i never used one before. the room is not treated, but im figuring lookin for ways for a quik, thats a topic of its own.

how are the settins preffered for a general recording/tracking vocals?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz ➡️
Im new to the recording side of things. have few questions. would appreciate your help.

Is compression needed for tracking rap vocals? one of my engineer said yes cause if the artist gets too loud, and its tracked that way, u cant undo the damage in the mixing. its better to be on the safe side. he right?

is it difficult to use a compressor at home studio in your room environment.. i never used one before. the room is not treated, but im figuring lookin for ways for a quik, thats a topic of its own.

how are the settins preffered for a general recording/tracking vocals?
You are going to get some moans because this question has been asked A LOT of times already.

A compressor for tracking vocals can be helpful if it's not abused. Compressing too much can be just as bad as distorting with digital overs.

Knowing your talent a little, setting the right gain settings, compressing or limiting just a little and maybe even riding the fader should serve you well with practice.

Keep in mind that using a compressor in an untreated room can seriously compound the issue of bad acoustics so I'd try to control the environment the mic is in as much as possible. Foam, reflexion filter, moving blankets, pillows, whatever you can come up with to kill the ambient sound will help if the room sounds bad.

As far as compressor settings go, it all depends on the person behind the mic. If they are good at controlling their dynamics, you might need very little or nothing at all - use your ears and listen for artifacts. Start with extreme settings so you can really HEAR what the compressor is doing and then start backing off until it sounds appropriate.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
dont care bout others moaning. id leave that for a woman to do.

im here to learn. thanks for sharing. well try all of that out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh No..not the dreaded C word!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz ➡️
dont care bout others moaning. id leave that for a woman to do.

im here to learn. thanks for sharing. well try all of that out.
NO DOUBT.It just all depends.Good luck.Just Playin.

Yo.try ratio 2:1 to 3:1,attack around 10ms,release around 300ms and threshold around -10db to -18db. The threshold is really the most tweaking you mess with depending on how dynamic your vocalist is.That and your attack. I was told told that 10ms is fine fine singing but rap varies depenging on the speed of the transisents in the lyricists delivery.If 10ms dont sound right to you keep increaseing by 10ms not passing 80ms, till you get the sound you want.Dont let no one tell you these wont work.They wont work on everything but its a starting point. These are pretty common ballpark ranges I have come up from asking the same question your asking many times and most engineers are in this range when I see them use a compressor.I know how hard it is trying to figure things out and it seems like you cant get a staright answer to have a starting point. Everyone starts out copying someone elses way, THEN you do your own thing. Youll get there just keep at it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…