Quantcast
MPC 2500-Axiom 49 & Pro tools Midi Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC 2500-Axiom 49 & Pro tools Midi Question
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MPC 2500-Axiom 49 & Pro tools Midi Question

Ok so im trying to get my axiom 49 to control sounds in reason (and Vst's etc....) , but i also want to be able to control sounds from the Mpc 2500 with the Axiom (you know when u sample a Piano riff, u wanna play with it right?) I have midi cables and the M-audio Usb midi cord.

I been reading the manual and couldnt figure it out....any suggestions?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn....even YOU guys dont know.....this is gonna take awhile
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
May I suggest going to M-Audio's website and try their forum. You should find some answers there.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
You mention having MIDI cords but do you have a MIDI interface or are you planning to swaps leads about every time you switch from one to the other?

I don't use an MPC myself, so I can't give you any detail, but surely it must say in the manual whether its MIDI input accepts 'standard' MIDI data or (as is the case in some devices) just SysEx. If it's the former, I expect that you just need to set the MPC to receive on the correct channel(s) and start hammering away.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MPC rookies...I just set this up last night for a friend. MPC controlling Reason, tracked into Ableton if necessary. I use the same set up with Logic and PT.

Work work with me...

1. Connect keyboard midi out to MPC Midi In 1. If you are using USB for power, ensure that you set the keyboard so that it does not send midi through usb, but sends midi through the traditional midi cable.

2. On the MPC, press mode, midi/sync pad (9?). Under midi tab, Set active receive channel to ALL, Soft Thru = AS TRACK.

3. Ok pay attention. Do you have any hardware synths you will be controlling? If so, connect MPC midi OUT A to hardware device midi IN. Using software? Connect MPC Midi OUT B to the midi IN on your audio/midi interface that is attached to your computer.
(I like keeping all my hardware on port A, and all software on port B, so I can stay organized when sequencing tracks and remembering what went where). If you have more then 2 midi outs, forgive me, I am going off the 1000 platform.

4. (Optional) Ready to track your music into a DAW? If you want the mpc to be master for the DAW, you already made that connection by going from mpc midi out B to interface IN. Want the MPC to slave to the DAW when tracking? Connect audio/midi interface (computer) midi OUT to MPC Midi In 2.

5. Open up Reason. Under preferences, under audio tab, make sure your audio interface is selected, and perhaps try a buffer of 128 samples for starters, unless you can go lower. Under the Advanced Control tab, under Bus A, select the midi device and port that you connected the mpc to. For example, I connected my midi out B to my Midisport 2x2 Anniversary Edition Port A, so that is what I choose in Reason.

6.If you are just using Reason, load up a Mixer 14:2 and make sure its main outputs go to the appropriate inputs on the hardware device. Load up Thor for example. Make sure Thor is routed to a channel on the Mixer 14:2. On the hardware device, drop it down so you can see all the blank midi spots. In the channel 1 tab, select Thor 1:In.

7. If you are using another program at the same time, you can treat this host program as a mixer, and bypass use of the 14:2 mixer. Instead, route inputs to the hardware device. Using rewire, route the Reason channels to tracks in your host DAW (I do this with Logic). I am not explaining Rewire. Gotta do that on your own.

Ok..you back there..pay attention..we gotta control Thor

8. On the MPC main screen, next to midi, make sure it reads 1B instead of Off, since Reason is on mpc midi out port B, and Thor is on channel 1 in Reason.

Press the pads, you should hear sound. Press the keys, you should hear sound. You can record a sequence from the keys or pads.

If you like using the pads, do yourself a favor and make a chromatic program so the notes go in chromatic order. They are in General Midi standard by default.

Paypal JaeOne3345 50 bucks pronto...

Have fun...

Maybe I should put an end to all the mpc sync/slave drama I see on the internet. Another day...
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
MPC rookies...I just set this up last night for a friend. MPC controlling Reason, tracked into Ableton if necessary. I use the same set up with Logic and PT.

Work work with me...

1. Connect keyboard midi out to MPC Midi In 1. If you are using USB for power, ensure that you set the keyboard so that it does not send midi through usb, but sends midi through the traditional midi cable.

2. On the MPC, press mode, midi/sync pad (9?). Under midi tab, Set active receive channel to ALL, Soft Thru = AS TRACK.

3. Ok pay attention. Do you have any hardware synths you will be controlling? If so, connect MPC midi OUT A to hardware device midi IN. Using software? Connect MPC Midi OUT B to the midi IN on your audio/midi interface that is attached to your computer.
(I like keeping all my hardware on port A, and all software on port B, so I can stay organized when sequencing tracks and remembering what went where). If you have more then 2 midi outs, forgive me, I am going off the 1000 platform.

4. (Optional) Ready to track your music into a DAW? If you want the mpc to be master for the DAW, you already made that connection by going from mpc midi out B to interface IN. Want the MPC to slave to the DAW when tracking? Connect audio/midi interface (computer) midi OUT to MPC Midi In 2.

5. Open up Reason. Under preferences, under audio tab, make sure your audio interface is selected, and perhaps try a buffer of 128 samples for starters, unless you can go lower. Under the Advanced Control tab, under Bus A, select the midi device and port that you connected the mpc to. For example, I connected my midi out B to my Midisport 2x2 Anniversary Edition Port A, so that is what I choose in Reason.

6.If you are just using Reason, load up a Mixer 14:2 and make sure its main outputs go to the appropriate inputs on the hardware device. Load up Thor for example. Make sure Thor is routed to a channel on the Mixer 14:2. On the hardware device, drop it down so you can see all the blank midi spots. In the channel 1 tab, select Thor 1:In.

7. If you are using another program at the same time, you can treat this host program as a mixer, and bypass use of the 14:2 mixer. Instead, route inputs to the hardware device. Using rewire, route the Reason channels to tracks in your host DAW (I do this with Logic). I am not explaining Rewire. Gotta do that on your own.

Ok..you back there..pay attention..we gotta control Thor

8. On the MPC main screen, next to midi, make sure it reads 1B instead of Off, since Reason is on mpc midi out port B, and Thor is on channel 1 in Reason.

Press the pads, you should hear sound. Press the keys, you should hear sound. You can record a sequence from the keys or pads.

If you like using the pads, do yourself a favor and make a chromatic program so the notes go in chromatic order. They are in General Midi standard by default.

Paypal JaeOne3345 50 bucks pronto...

Have fun...

Maybe I should put an end to all the mpc sync/slave drama I see on the internet. Another day...
Thanks dude!!!!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did it work okay?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
jaeone3345

sent you a pm on a question related to this topic
Old 23rd June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have a similar question.

although I have a MPC 25k and a m-audio midi keyboard (keystudio49)

I'm just trying to record a few things that i'm playing through the softsynths/vst with the keyboard midi wise but my notes aren't being recorded.

The vst recognizes the keyboard set up and I can play it just fine, the only problem comes when I try to record a few notes.

I thought this would be simple since I do it quite often with my hardware synthesizers but I don't know whats up. I have my mp midi'd with my interface and I can easily record my notes when I play them from the pad but I can't record anything when I play from the keys. I know i'm missing something real simple that is right in front of my face but i've been going in circles for the past few hours. any help would be appreciated..thanks.
πŸ“ Reply