another rap vox thread ????Ahhhhh - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
another rap vox thread ????Ahhhhh
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
another rap vox thread ????Ahhhhh

i know i know .....

but ive been reading this forum for days thrying no to make this thread but i need some serious help.....

my vocal chain is......pelluso 2247se into a bae 1073 ...digi 003

i only record rap vocals....

on the bae eq....i boost 220 and 3.2 very little

and i set hi pass at 80..

the vocals sound amazing by them self....

but im having such trouble fitting them into the tracks....

granted im recording on a stereo track already mixed beat....which is allot harder...

in the mix

im eqing the vocals with a high pass set around 100 and a cut at 250

with a lil boost at 5k and 13k

my compresor is set a 5:1 with fast attack and medium release

im sending the main vox thru an aux input with the waves doubler set at around 25- 30 for some thickness

i cant find any good reverb or delay settings in pt.. i even got waves....im def. doin somthin wrong cause they all sound bad ....

but besides that i still cant get a good vox mix......

is thewre somthing im doing wrong.....any verb or delay advice...

anything at all will help...

and its not just 1 beat its the same for most beats i try to record on...
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

I don't wanna sound snotty, but you just gotta keep practicing. There's no one thing you're doing wrong, other than assuming there's just one wrong thing you're doing wrong. heh

For the millionth time, every song requires a different approach. It's not about the tools you use, it's about HOW you use them, knowing WHEN to use WHICH tools, etc etc etc. The same thing you've heard before on every other thread in this forum.

So no single specific technique is gonna help your problem, unless that technique is to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

Good luck
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The obvious answer is to not use 2 tracks... That def. makes hit harder to squeeze a vocal into the beat especially if the 2 track is squashed.

As far as delays and reverbs, I've had success getting a vox to sit in a 2track with the Digi Delay. Just find the tempo of the beat (beat detective) and put it in the delay. You can EQ the delay also tweak to to your taste.

And not every song requires the same EQ, same compression and same settings. There's no real set it and forget it for every song out there. Just keep messing with it and you'll eventually get it.

EDIT: and what bgrotto said!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You have gotta make room for the vocals. How they sound soloed is of minor importance, unless you are looking to make an "a cappella".

Try

1) wide-belling (Q = about 1 Octave) around 500 HZ - maybe about -4 to -6db.
2) The ear is very sensitive around 3k so you may wanna cut there instead of boosting
3) With a Low-Shelf boost about 3-6 dB around 80-100hz and use a 6db/oct lowcut set at 50hz to rid the rumble
4) 10K is extremely annoying and is very sensitive to the ear as well. Try cutting there just a few notches as well.
If you want the vocal to "integrate" rather than stand out then try cutting the highs with a lowpass (HiCut) filter - that will make it move to the back or "drop"in altitude.

Then try adding some "Room" to the vocal. The more room you add on the AUX the more you need to back off the gain of the vocal track....

This works very well for - so it might be worth a try for you
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just an observation - why are you cutting at 250 after boosting at 220 on the way in? Does it make for an interesting "effect" or is your vocal particularly troublesome at 200-250 range so ITB EQ brings that range up more natural than your voice could by itself? Cause sonically, it's so close that you probably ain't even getting anything out of it. You're practically reversing what you've done by equalising in the way in.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No problem bro, I do this all the time. (I have some cheap clients that want to lay tracks fast) On your pre, make sure your input is pretty high to get alot of the character. Adjust your output as necessary. Now, when you're tracking over a 2 track mix, it's usually been limited, so you wanna track the vox as hot as possible without going into the red. Don't use any EQ on the way in unless you KNOW your room is causing some sort of unwanted frequency peak. (You can throw a raw vox track on a spectrometer? and see if this is happening. Also look at your mic's spec sheet and see the frequency response graph to get a better idea on what you're hearing.) I comp with a clean, opto hardware comp on the way in, 3-5dB's (fast attack, medium fast release) but if you don't have a hardware comp use a transparent software one to do this.

Now, I've experimented with a bunch of plugins and it seems the one that aces all others for this is the BF76 which is free with ProTools. Set your attack to 6, your release to 7, adjust your input until it's knocking off about 3 or (a little) more dB's. Depending how much limiting whoever made the 2 track mix used will depend on your ratio. On lead vox, I use 1:4. On backups, adlibs, or hype tracks, I'll use 8, 12 ,or 20, whatever sounds good. As you increase your ratio, you'll hear the plugin get more aggressive and the vox will start to match the mix.

On these kind of busy mixes I can safely HP the leads @ 150 without any problem. I'll HP the backups, etc. @ 260-350 depending if they're in the way. Now, if it's still not quite right, on the mix buss throw a comp with a real low ratio, just get the GR meter bouncing ever so slightly. Now with all that in place mess with your delays and 'verbs so you can do those while monitoring through the mix buss and see what's good. Keep checking your mix through headphones 'cause reverb can get out of hand real fast. DON'T KILL IT! Try this out and I bet you'll be happy with the results. Peace.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not that i know much...

but did you try putting the FX on a Aux bus?
that helped me opening a stereo bus and putting my FX there. vs on the track.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
πŸ“ Reply