Quantcast
Yamaha HS80 vs MSP7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha HS80 vs MSP7
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yamaha HS80 vs MSP7

I have a buddy who can get me a pair of either of HS80's for $300, and MSP7's for $400 new.

Any one have experience with these monitors?

What do you look for in a monitor? Honest/something that hi-lights the flaws, or something that flatters your sound?
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i have he msp5's and 7's...

i upgraded from the hs80 to the msp7's at the old price of 599.00 each. was well worth it. i miss my hs80's because they can actually handle louder volumes than the msp7 since they have a 8 versus the 6.5 but i have 2 msp subs to boot so im good. the msp7's have more wattage which really helps to give a fuller sound at normal mix volumes. the msp's are a better design and even though smaller in size are a good bit heavier than the hs80 because of a denser cabinets and heavier amp. the msp are also front ported versus the rear ports on the hs80's which to me seems to give a pretty good representation of the bass but not the same depth to the low end as the hs80's. when i switch between the hs80's and the msp most people thought that both sets of monitors where still playing when the msp7's kick in. both had the exact same settings but the msp7's really had a wider fuller sound.

anybody copping the hs series should really do themselves a favor and step up to the msp series. night and day difference.. even though the hs is nice the msp is nicer.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
MSP's are better but everybody has the HS80's down here.

LOL, for that price....... In true sluttieness I say GET BOTH!!
-Will
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hey can we be buddies so I can get a pair of each speaker for that price... I will buy them both and u can use what set u want. :-)
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i got the MSP7 and HS50m, both translates pretty good to other sound system although the MSP7 is more flat while the HS50m is bright on the top and its got a very pronounced mid range some would call it hyped but it seems pretty usefull when mixing. I prefer the msp7 as i can mix with it longer and its got a more acurate low end makin it easier to hear eq changes with the kick and bass. I also prefer its front port design over the HS50m's rear port. all i can say is try both then decide
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I will get a pair of MSP7's soon. My primary monitors are Dynaudio BM15. I have not heard the msp's but I have read alot of good things about them. The price was also very attractive so I decided to order them. I need a smaller pair of monitors with more focus on midrange and less bass compared to the dyns and I believe the MSP7's can provide that.

IMO it is a little strange that there is so little discussion of the msp series compared to the hs series. Maybe it is the white speaker cone that gets everybody's attention.

I would also like to hear other people's opinions about the MSP7. I will definitely post mine when I get them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my comparison

i use the hs80's at home and like them very much. good bass response

no sub required in my small room. haven't tried the other ones cuz a demo

pair wasn't available when i bought mine. i listened to several narrowed it

down to the hs80's and the krk vxt's and i went with the yamaha's

because i thought the bass response was more true on my reference cd.

that's the only comparison i can give.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesp04 ➑️
i use the hs80's at home and like them very much. good bass response

no sub required in my small room. haven't tried the other ones cuz a demo

pair wasn't available when i bought mine. i listened to several narrowed it

down to the hs80's and the krk vxt's and i went with the yamaha's

because i thought the bass response was more true on my reference cd.

that's the only comparison i can give.
NO sub needed for these subsonic dogs that is for sure! If anything you need to play the bass down.
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
got enough to do 5.1(x2 slutness) but i'm probably gonna sell a couple of my msp7's.... haven't decided yet but if anybody is interested pm me.
Old 4th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150MP ➑️
MSP's are better but everybody has the HS80's down here.

LOL, for that price....... In true sluttieness I say GET BOTH!!
-Will
Highly considering this
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have the HS80Ms, they are great speakers, have great bass response but are sorta hyped in the high end. I want to eventually upgrade to some Adam 8 inch monitors are Focals, but still I may not sell my HS80Ms, they are that good.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble ➑️
I have the HS80Ms, they are great speakers, have great bass response but are sorta hyped in the high end. I want to eventually upgrade to some Adam 8 inch monitors are Focals, but still I may not sell my HS80Ms, they are that good.
I just watched a demo using the HS80M's on youtube....wooooow. Lovin that effin bass bro!! trying to find an MSP7 demo. Prefer to hear how they sound in someone's random home studio than a huge Guitar Center room.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Decided to go with the Yamaha MSP7. Onward press...
Old 26th December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Did you end up liking the msp7s?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil828 ➑️
Did you end up liking the msp7s?
You know what....JUST as i was gonna pull the trigger on the MSP7's, I saw a fantastic deal on the HS80M's on Ebay, so I went with those. Got em for $200 less than the standard price. Helped a great deal financially!

I haven't set up my studio yet. Right now, everything is in boxes, and I'll be moving stuff to the proper room this coming week. If you wanna know how the HS80M's sound by any chance, I can let you know over the next few weeks. I'm gonna do some recording/listening with the room untreated, and will do the same with the room treated in the coming weeks, after I finish my DIY project.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 3 HS80m. I got one as a backup because on one monitor, the tweeter crapped out on me. I couldn't have any downtime so i just bought another one while they were fixing the tweeter. Good thing because another one just crapped out on me. It is really upsetting because i thought they gave me alot of sound for the price. They have been in the studio for 2 years with standard usage.

They are very good for the money and much better than anything you can get in the price range. Mids are very in your face so its good for editing. However, they are fatiguing to my ears over a few hours. ymmv
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkung ➑️
I have 3 HS80m. I got one as a backup because on one monitor, the tweeter crapped out on me. I couldn't have any downtime so i just bought another one while they were fixing the tweeter. Good thing because another one just crapped out on me. It is really upsetting because i thought they gave me alot of sound for the price. They have been in the studio for 2 years with standard usage.

They are very good for the money and much better than anything you can get in the price range. Mids are very in your face so its good for editing. However, they are fatiguing to my ears over a few hours. ymmv
Word up! I look forward to hearing how a variety of songs sound through the HS80M's. The tweeter issue sucks man. I hope I don't go through that same experience, but I suppose it goes hand-in-hand with electronic equipment.
πŸ“ Reply