Quantcast
Get back the MPC 4000 or buy NI Maschine? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Get back the MPC 4000 or buy NI Maschine?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get back the MPC 4000 or buy NI Maschine?

I've sold for cheap my MPC 4000 and now miss the sound and workflow of it.. The reason why i sold it in the first place though, was the lack of integration with my DAW software(logic8). I was tired of tracking drums all the time so i've got all the usual suspects(Guru, battery,idrum..)but none of them really replaced the mp. The other day I've stumbled upon the NI website and saw the maschine thingy.. I know is just a fancy midi controller that wont improve my audio at all, but it seems like a really good compromise between software integration and MPC style features/sequencing.. I'd love to ear what you guys think about..
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➑️
I've sold for cheap my MPC 4000 and now miss the sound and workflow of it.. The reason why i sold it in the first place though, was the lack of integration with my DAW software(logic8). I was tired of tracking drums all the time so i've got all the usual suspects(Guru, battery,idrum..)but none of them really replaced the mp. The other day I've stumbled upon the NI website and saw the maschine thingy.. I know is just a fancy midi controller that wont improve my audio at all, but it seems like a really good compromise between software integration and MPC style features/sequencing.. I'd love to ear what you guys think about..
What is it about the workflow of battery and guru you dislike? I just sold my 4000 yesterday and feel like it was a good move because I do, do everything I need to do in the computer.. Like I said in the past though, everyone works differently.. Btw how much did you let it go for?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
NI Maschine offers MPC style sequencing?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't understand why you didn't sequence Logic with the MPC.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx ➑️
What is it about the workflow of battery and guru you dislike? I just sold my 4000 yesterday and feel like it was a good move because I do, do everything I need to do in the computer.. Like I said in the past though, everyone works differently.. Btw how much did you let it go for?
I don't know man..At first i was very happy with the software, but now..Is not so inspiring to make a beat with a mouse, that's why i was going to buy an MPD32 when the i saw this maschine on ni's web site.. Maybe i'm too used to make beats on a mp..also the software doesn't swing quite like an mpc IMO

I've sold it for about 1300$, about you?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've just recently started using Battery and it's definitely more powerful than any MPC I've had, although I just work a lot faster with the MPC. instead of getting another MPC 4k, why don't you just get a 500 or 1000 with that modded OS (I forget the name) then at least you can get some of that workflow back but still have the power of a program like battery... that's what I'm doing, and I'm a long time MPC 3k user
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I understand what you mean about the feel of the mpc because I haven't used a computer sequencer since cakewalk pro audio, and now when I make beats with cubase or pro tools I feel like they lag or they don't lock in right
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
oh yeah and maschine looks nice so it's either a mpc 1k or the maschine depending on how much it costs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
I don't understand why you didn't sequence Logic with the MPC.
Actually i was doing it, but i get tired to track the drum each time i wanted to bounce the song..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You don't have to.

My dad keeps his drums inside Battery or the EXS24 sampler.

The mpc doesn't need to have sounds in it.

You can then either record the midi data, or or route the battery channels to their own tracks. Yes it is tracking, but it isn't exactly going from analog to print.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whenever I feel tracking is tedious:

I tell myself "imagine if this was a full band with live instruments" then I stop whining.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't know man..At first i was very happy with the software, but now..Is not so inspiring to make a beat with a mouse, that's why i was going to buy an MPD32 when the i saw this maschine on ni's web site.. Maybe i'm too used to make beats on a mp..also the software doesn't swing quite like an mpc IMO

I've sold it for about 1300$, about you?
Sold mine yesterday for $1200... I hated to let it go but I haven't used it in about a year and i'm like you, I just got tired of tracking. I tracked my final beats out of there and breathed a sigh of relief because I know I will not have to do it no more. The mpd 32 is what i'm getting as well. Nice controller..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicB ➑️
I've just recently started using Battery and it's definitely more powerful than any MPC I've had, although I just work a lot faster with the MPC. instead of getting another MPC 4k, why don't you just get a 500 or 1000 with that modded OS (I forget the name) then at least you can get some of that workflow back but still have the power of a program like battery... that's what I'm doing, and I'm a long time MPC 3k user
Have you tried the mpc1000? Seems pretty small compared to the 2500.. What about the sound?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree, ever since getting rid of the MPC, my beat-making experience has never quite been the same. Logic is great, but yeah.. mouse and piano keys don't hit the same as those 16 rubber pads. The fact that I don't need to track drums anymore is a major time saver, but I will always miss bangin out beats on the MPC.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think the MPC does NOT integrate into the DAW at all. But I cannot hook up a great guitarist to my DAW with a firewire cable either. Would I want to void the Guitarist too, cuz he aint DAW "Compatible"? No Way heh

I have tried so many things, GURU as well. But none of them got anything on the MPC.
Thing is, it aint the sampler in the MPC - it is the SEQUENCER.

If you want DAW compatibiliy along with you MPC then you need the MPC and ONE midicable. Insert, say Battery, and load up your kit there. Only, program and play and record your pattern on the MPC via midi. Now, you have MPC timing but DAW access to all your drum sounds....

You wont need the MPC 4000 for that - you can get a cheap 2000XL or 3000 to achieve that too.

I do ALL my midi on the MPC - be drums or piano, B U T - Once that sucker is in charge of the timing, cant nothing mess with my groove
Sure, it is more complicated than on Logic's or PT's graphical editor but try getting the MPC feel with either of those rigid players....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you tried the mpc1000? Seems pretty small compared to the 2500.. What about the sound?
I've never tried the 1000 but I've looked at the 2500 also, the mod os is also available for it as well. I just want the feel of an mpc but I also want the sequencer as well. you don't have to hold the samples in the mpc you can just use battery like a sound module or old school sampler.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
MPD 32 or 24 + kontakt 3 and guru + gold baby sound bank , you're strapped to death !

mpd 24 or 32 great controller
Kontakt 3 : the best sampler for daws
Guru : exact same sample and sequencing management as machine

gold baby sound bank : smoke on !
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The workflow of the mpc is still #1 to me, right now I am considering the new Open Labs Neko XXL Gen5 model which includes something they call Bump MP which is suposed to be there version of MPC pads along with a special version of GURU but I still dont feel that workflow of having a MPC.But it's all about personal preference.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
right now im demoing battery......" again" im trying so hard to love it so i can get rid of my mp. bottom line it just doesnt sound as good. i usually just sequence my drums on the mpc and do everything else in logic. yea , its a pain to track stuff out, but i think its worth it....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i bought an mpc 2000xl super cheap (broken job wheel, i bought a new one for $8 and soldered it) and use it to control battery 3. just the pads basically.

to be honest i like using keys

battery 3 is the shiz.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get that MPC4000 back!! heh

The MPC4k will be banging 5 years from now where as that NI machine will be sitting in some attic. NI updates aggressively so count on seeing your NI machine made obsolete fast! Also, NI has some issues with Pro Tools and with the CS Dept as well -- check their forum.

My vote: MPC4000!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➑️
I think the MPC does NOT integrate into the DAW at all. But I cannot hook up a great guitarist to my DAW with a firewire cable either. Would I want to void the Guitarist too, cuz he aint DAW "Compatible"? No Way heh

I have tried so many things, GURU as well. But none of them got anything on the MPC.
Thing is, it aint the sampler in the MPC - it is the SEQUENCER.

If you want DAW compatibiliy along with you MPC then you need the MPC and ONE midicable. Insert, say Battery, and load up your kit there. Only, program and play and record your pattern on the MPC via midi. Now, you have MPC timing but DAW access to all your drum sounds....

You wont need the MPC 4000 for that - you can get a cheap 2000XL or 3000 to achieve that too.

I do ALL my midi on the MPC - be drums or piano, B U T - Once that sucker is in charge of the timing, cant nothing mess with my groove
Sure, it is more complicated than on Logic's or PT's graphical editor but try getting the MPC feel with either of those rigid players....
You've made some good points here.. You mean I can use the mpc as a drum pad and sequence with idrum/guru or whatever, but with the advantage of keeping the mp timing? I will lose the sound of the 4k that way but well.. I can't have it all, can I?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get Maschine. Smart interface. New sounds library. Done.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You've made some good points here.. You mean I can use the mpc as a drum pad and sequence with idrum/guru or whatever, but with the advantage of keeping the mp timing? I will lose the sound of the 4k that way but well.. I can't have it all, can I?
Hi Solidstate,

Yeah, you use the MP as Sequencer, thus you record your patterns in the MP. The MP then sends out midi to whichever Plug-in or VI you choose.

Here is what I do. In Logic I have a template called Sampler. In that I have loaded a set of VIs that I always use. There is NO arrange window open in Logic. All I gotta do is load up my song in the MP and hit play. The MP now triggers the whole sampler template in Logic. From Logic, all the sound leaves the Logic domain with a M-Audio Light interface (32 I/Os) they get monitored and recorded in PT HD. It is a very nice setup for me. And ALL timing is handled be the mpc. Try it your self. Play an easy piano line in Logic then quantize. Now record the same piano line, only into the MPC - then quantize and compare. Since you already had an MP, I know you've got the groove so you will easily be able to tell the difference.

But a lot of guys be like "Hey, it is way tooooo complicated programming on the MPC. I want a graphic editor".

I go - "I bet you the planet, that it takes more time to become a great guitar player, than it does learning to program or record a midi sequence into the MPC"

Quote:
I will lose the sound of the 4k that way but well.. I can't have it all, can I?
If I had the choice between either the MPC4000 sound or Timing. I would screw the sound and pick the sequencer. I think the MPC sound IS indeed it's sequencer

PS | I got too hung up in my own anecdotes so I forgot to answer your Headliner in plain and simple English

GET BACK THE MPC4000 heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I never sold my MPC4000, but its been broken in the corner of my room for about, 1 1/2 years. Just could never pull the 600$ to pay for it, without thinking of something else I wanted at the time. I been sequencing with logic and have tried all the drum apps. Well i cannot take it anymore!!!! I want my 4000 back now! The work flow, layering drums, sequencing, instant sampling, zero latency, not to mention it was 24 bit, the fx, yup the the FX! Dam I miss mine, Im sending it off to forat today, and Im getting it touched up, outputs and all.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And for me, hearing stuff I did on my 4000 today, in comparison to logic stuff, well I can tell in the way things swing and feel. Its something there in that sequencer!
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MPC4000

okay Im done. I've lost sleep over this issue.
Charlie O
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O ➑️
MPC4000

okay Im done. I've lost sleep over this issue.
Charlie O
Yeah, but you said ALL the right things, I could NOT have said it better or agree more.

PS | I have got the following MPCs

3K,2K,2KXL,4K,5K

the best one of those is by far, the MPC4000XL.... Steal away my Manley compressor and I will get a new one but steal away my MPC and I will get seriously vindictive
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Why would you insult the 4000 by comparing to dfegad software.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the MPC 4000, i have messed with one a couple times, never tracked anything out tho. But i find VST samplers like battery and guru taking the spot, all u need is a MPD 16 or 24, (i think theres a new one out).
πŸ“ Reply