Quantcast
Get back the MPC 4000 or buy NI Maschine? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Get back the MPC 4000 or buy NI Maschine?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG ➡️
Why would you insult the 4000 by comparing to dfegad software.
You're talking about the 400 like it's not a computer.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
You're talking about the 400 like it's not a computer.

- c
It aint - it is GOD heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo ➡️
I like the MPC 4000, i have messed with one a couple times, never tracked anything out tho. But i find VST samplers like battery and guru taking the spot, all u need is a MPD 16 or 24, (i think theres a new one out).
THere are better Samplers yes, but NO better Sequencer.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with The Ghosts on this one. It's definitely the sequencer . Software sequencers just don't feel the same and you will keep telling yourself that something just doesn't feel right years after you ditch the MP.

I know, I've been down this road twice now.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh and please don't rush out and buy Maschine yall...wait for the initial reports to come in when it's released and the early adopters check it out. N.I. is not well know for stellar 1.0 releases.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you was comfortable with the 4000 and what u miss is a get a 4000 why bother if u dont like maschine ull end up again wanting a mpc 4000.
Old 3rd May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MPC sequencer >>> life

I remember when i switched fron the asr 10 sequencer to the MP back in 98.... never looked back... Nowadays i sequence EVERYTHING on the mp... VSTs keys and alll

your best bet would be a mpc 1000 and JJos
Old 3rd May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still dont get why you guys sell your MPCs for this stuff, are you over extended? not making money or what? Selling an MPC 4000 for Maschine doesnt make sense, Maschine is like $510 bucks at GC, an MPC 4000 is easily 800-$1000. It cant be a space issue either, Maschine is super small compared to an MPC, you can keep Maschine stored in a Laptop bag if space is that tight.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➡️
The other day I've stumbled upon the NI website and saw the maschine thingy.. I know is just a fancy midi controller that wont improve my audio at all, but it seems like a really good compromise between software integration and MPC style features/sequencing.. I'd love to ear what you guys think about..
Well, it's definitely not "just a fancy midi controller" although that is a common misconception people get at first glance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
NI Maschine offers MPC style sequencing?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➡️
Is not so inspiring to make a beat with a mouse, that's why i was going to buy an MPD32 when the i saw this maschine on ni's web site.. Maybe i'm too used to make beats on a mp..
Yup. Maschine is exactly what you need. You don't need to touch the mouse or look at the computer screen when using Maschine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprod19 ➡️
The fact that I don't need to track drums anymore is a major time saver, but I will always miss bangin out beats on the MPC.
You should definitely consider Maschine then. There's no need for tracking with Maschine. You can even just drag and drop your patterns as audio or midi into Logic. I don't miss my MPCs one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➡️
I have tried so many things, GURU as well. But none of them got anything on the MPC.
Thing is, it aint the sampler in the MPC - it is the SEQUENCER.

If you want DAW compatibiliy along with you MPC then you need the MPC and ONE midicable. Insert, say Battery, and load up your kit there. Only, program and play and record your pattern on the MPC via midi. Now, you have MPC timing but DAW access to all your drum sounds....
Software-only programs like Guru/BPM/Battery cannot compete with MPC or Maschine because as you said, it's all about the sequencer and the workflow you get from the dedicated hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
mpd 24 or 32 great controller
Kontakt 3 : the best sampler for daws
Guru : exact same sample and sequencing management as machine
It's not about software features. And using midi pad controllers like MPDs are not going to get you anywhere close to the type of workflow you get with MPC or Maschine. In a software DAW environment, nothing comes close to Maschine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG ➡️
Why would you insult the 4000 by comparing to dfegad software.
Why would you insult the first-of-its-kind hardware/software hybrid like Maschine by comparing to software-only programs where you still have to use the mouse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 ➡️
I agree with The Ghosts on this one. It's definitely the sequencer . Software sequencers just don't feel the same and you will keep telling yourself that something just doesn't feel right years after you ditch the MP.
I can understand how you feel about software sequencers but putting Maschine in the same category is doing yourself a disservice.
Old 11th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i just sold my 4000 for maschine and it's been a good idea so far.

happy to have moved on. saved space, now i can put my turntable and mixer to scratch on the desk =)
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
im sold on maschine

Im a fl studio user for many years, though no one can tell it. I love the power and speed of fl studio, but im kinda getting tired of clicking around, and I'm not goin back to the dark ages of tracking into protools with a mpc. Not that i've been.

maschine gives you the best of both worlds and you can use what you already use.

my vote is for maschine.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get back the MPC 4000 or buy NI Maschine?

Am I the only 1 that thinks it's substantially easier to track drums out of a hardware unit than it is to bus everything around, worry about latentcy and all that ish with VI's? Cause it is. Midi clock-n-go.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 ➡️
Am I the only 1 that thinks it's substantially easier to track drums out of a hardware unit than it is to bus everything around, worry about latentcy and all that ish with VI's? Cause it is. Midi clock-n-go.
I kinda like tracking my audio.I mean thats what recording audio means to me.So that makes 2 of us!! ps im synching by ear,lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MPC ftw....

IMHO
Old 12th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➡️
I kinda like tracking my audio.I mean thats what recording audio means to me.So that makes 2 of us!! ps im synching by ear,lol
Absolutely

Sync via midi time code. Get an interface with enough inputs to handle everything coming from the MPC (I like to track everything in at once - so I have lots of inputs, keep in mind the MPC is the sequencer so there may be sounds coming from any synths/modules.) Done. Of course, if you are using the MPC just as a sequencer to control software sounds (like some above have mentioned), you may not even need the interface inputs.

Hey! Wait a minute... how old is this thread?
Oh well, I guess it's still relevant. I sold my MPC3000 and SP-12 back in '96 because you could do everything in the computer. Spent a BUNCH of money on computers and software, then I bought the first 60 I could find so I could get that workflow back (a 60 because 3000's were up through the roof then! - boy did I feel stupid for selling my 3k, for what I thought was a great deal), then I bought another 3000, and then a 1000 when they came out (sold it later because I thought it needed more buttons and less menus - I didn't like selecting menus with the pads after being on the 60 and 3k for so long), and another SP-12, and an SP-1200, and then bought my son a 2500. We still use them - and a LOT of software has come and gone in that time - lot's of boxed software that cost quite a bit that is now that was supposed to end the world as we knew it - on the shelf that I can't PAY people to take. Some didn't make the cut to the next OS update, some didn't make the cut to the next DAW update, some just folded. The hardware still works though, still syncs to MTC, and still sequences.

The Mashine seems to be a step in the right direction, as does that Akai APC controller for Abelton. Of course, 10-12 years ago I was thinking these same things when I saw samplecell and Rebirth (softSampleCell - now THAT was a product that lived a long time! :o
I've often wondered why Akai doesn't port the MPC OS over to a software VI/hardware controller combo - can't be sales - I'm sure there is higher profit margin in the software/controller combo than the actual hardware.

At the end of the day - use what works best for you.
So, OP - what did you end up doing and how did you like it?
📝 Reply