NoCompression.com - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NoCompression.com
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➑️
Honestly, one of the best sounding plugin compressors ever created is the IK T Racks. The vintage 670 compressor in there sounds ALOT like a real vari mu compressor (Fairchild, etc...). The other common ITB compressors i use would be 1176, Ren Axe, Rvox, L2, L1, L3, Joe Meek Compressor, EMI compressor, URS 1970, Omnipressor, Ozone 3, etc... and i find them all very useful.
Yep that's my impression too Ken , the new T-Racks stuff is killer, some of my favourite plugs, wish they were a tad more cpu friendly though .......when you get a chance give the Rocket compressor a go by Stillwell .....

Cann't imagine a mix without compression and all the usual suspects , i see no benefit in limiting tools
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelekonStudios ➑️
lol.

Some people may not appreciate compression because they have never used a good one.

My life changed after i bought an 1176.
My life got better once I sold an 1176 and bought a Daking...

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
. Riding faders on playback is no different except that you've already heard it and you know exactly what's coming? Unless you're suggesting that fader rides during tracking somehow changes the tone in a different way, I don't see the difference.
You can see the waveform, you probably know the material better by then , and it is non destructive.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hate Compression, No wait, i love compression, well actually i hate compression, naaa i really love compression. Thats what i think when using compression, compressors are like women, cant live with them or without them
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I hate compression when it makes things sound worse and I love it when it makes things sound better.

What's foolish is to not try it both ways with the average level matched up so that you aren't hyping yourself with volume one way or the other.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
Unless you're suggesting that fader rides during tracking somehow changes the tone in a different way, I don't see the difference.
If you're tracking to tape then it will certainly make a difference...
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I've never been able to ride faders nearly as well after the fact as I can live.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteringDan ➑️
Probably already been said, but not using compression is probably the worst thing that anyone could ever do. How will you have control over your peaks without making the track quieter??? Not forgetting great techniques like parallel compression for punchiness.
Well performed parts shouldn't have any significant issues with peaks one would think. Furthermore, its not just 2 buss compression that contributed to a hammered end results. Compression has its place but I do think its overused 90% of the time
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker ➑️
It would sound horribly out of date and amateur.
It would sound like this :

https://www.chesky.com/index.cfm
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by khai ➑️

I was actually hoping this thread would die but those mp3's are nice.

Bookmarked so I can listen more later. Thanks.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Like a jazz band's demo?

Seriously, this is pretty far from an acceptable modern standard. It sounds very dated, even for a jazz stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Like a jazz band's demo?

Seriously, this is pretty far from an acceptable modern standard. It sounds very dated, even for a jazz stuff.
McCoy Tyner? Chuck Mangione?

Classic stuff. I don't think you navigated down far enough. I don't think those are "demos".

I wonder what the new "acceptable modern standard" is... I'm afraid to ask.
Lives for gear

In all fairness, I'm not into jazz, so the music is going to lose out for me which probably colors my appreciation of the audio. However, to me all that stuff just sounds like you set up a few mics anywhere and let the musicians do all the work.

I like audio engineers to ENGINEER. What I want to hear would probably be considered over-engineering.

And the modern standard I was talking about was the more recent jazz material. Clear, present, up front, detailed, definitely not sounding like a demo.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi!
I agree that compression kills the groove at the expense of tone.

First of all I have been down this road and experimented on the compression usage and have come to the conclusion that using compression sounds better but kills any "want to dance to it" vibe.

This is the modern tone. Compressed especially thru juicy electronic components and ideal for music destined only to be listened to.

If you wanna make people dance lighten up on the compression.

I use parallel compression anytime I want tone. I balance the sends so that there is always primarily the transient infomation to give the feel and groove and a compression bus or two for punch and tone.

Automation helps by keeping the load off the compressor.

Some engineers use compressors without any compression ratio because they impart a very desirable tone.

Some engineers guard their tricks with smoke screens and mirrors even some invalidation to steer others from their signature tones.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In all fairness, I'm not into jazz What I want to hear would probably be considered over-engineering. And the modern standard I was talking about was the more recent jazz material. Clear, present, up front, detailed
Please stay away from jazz and classical. Keep recording radio pop. Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteringDan ➑️
Probably already been said, but not using compression is probably the worst thing that anyone could ever do. How will you have control over your peaks without making the track quieter???
Unless you use very short attack-times which are able to catch the transients you are not going to control always the peaks. For instance if you want to create more punch on drums or percussion with a longer attack-time, the peaks will become higher in relation as they stay untouched. You are right though e.g. with vocals as there are not that strong transients unless you have to deal with heavy pops or some kinds of strong consonants. For total peakcontrol a brickwall-limiter would be the choice. If you are after loudness in a mix watch the loudest elements (peakwise) like kick, snare, claps ... they determine the headroom or the ceilling of your mix. Keeping them seemingly loud and punchy without killing the transients is a very big part imo.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please stay away from jazz and classical. Keep recording radio pop. Thanks.
Actually I wouldn't mind doing some jazz projects if the players were good even though I don't care for the music.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo ➑️
...First of all I have been down this road and experimented on the compression usage and have come to the conclusion that using compression sounds better but kills any "want to dance to it" vibe. ...
Which in turn kills the "want to buy the record and tell my friends about it" vibe!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In all fairness, I'm not into jazz, so the music is going to lose out for me which probably colors my appreciation of the audio. However, to me all that stuff just sounds like you set up a few mics anywhere and let the musicians do all the work.

I like audio engineers to ENGINEER. What I want to hear would probably be considered over-engineering..

Engineering in this context is *supposed* to be about capturing a live performance. It's unfortunately turned into *creating the illusion of a performance*. Trust me as a realtively older man ... "setting up mics (correctly) and letting the musicians do all the work" has resulted in some of the greatest recordings in musical history... like probably 90% of the original Motown library. Sometimes some tracks don't need anything but a level adjustment.

Jump in a time machine, stick a mic or two in front of Sinatra and a great band and watch what happens.

The problem is that many young (upcoming / learning / daw trick of the week) engineers feel they always *have* to be doing something. And some "performers" aren't really talented artists outside of the studio so they need something done.

None of that is relevant for hip-hop though as the sound of the records is a sound created in the studio. It would probably suck (subjectively speaking) without lots of compression.
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Lots of the greatest hip-hop records were performed live in front of a studio audience. The "beats" are synthetic but the vocals are the real deal.
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a teacher at school who had made brilliant sounding recordings without any proccessing, using only microphone placement as a tool. I try to dig up the releases if you want the check them out.

-Tomi
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
Lots of the greatest hip-hop records were performed live in front of a studio audience. The "beats" are synthetic but the vocals are the real deal.
I hear you Bob. You aren't talking about modern hip-hop though are you? Classic stuff? And if modern... were they treated with comps in the mix as they typically are these days?

I know many of the vocal performers in rap are the real deal vocally. No doubt about that. It's much easier to tune a slightly off-key singer than it is to fix a rapper with no lyrical flow. Either it's there (the timing and flow) or it's not.

You can't really fake that. You can do 1000 punches but you can't "autotune" it into sounding right in that regard.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think we all can agree that the current state of popular music production is perhaps a bit over saturated with compression...I have looked at the waveforms of some of my current CDs and the waveforms look like a solid black band across the entire span of the track. I would venture a guess that this is excessive although the mastering engineer is probably at least as much to blame (if not more so) as the mixing engineer. Having said that, some of my favorite recordings of all time from the late 60s and early 70s were products of judicious use of compression. It definitely has its place in the engineer's pallette.

Mortal Engines on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It would sound horribly out of date and amateur.

Sad to say, but automatic gain control is *THE* modern sound of the last 30-40 years. In fact, I'd argue that most sources sound better with appropriate amounts of compression. Certainly there is a thing as too much compression--as has been the norm for a number of years now--but there is also such a thing as too little compression.

+1 for this
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Bob's quote.
"Which in turn kills the "want to buy the record and tell my friends about it" vibe!"

Astute of you Bob!
It makes one wonder if there is a correlation between the advent of compression then brickwalling and Record Industry sales?

What is even more disturbing is the style of singing some singers master singing thru a compressor. Disturbing as the diction/articulation goes and takes on what I dub the drone tone.
It is almost a modern pop singing style thats used live too. You see it emulated quite a bit on Idol etc.
This is not mic technique per say; a singing style is close in on the proximity effect while the singer deemphasizes sibilants in their voice.
Probably was an engineers workaround for an inexperienced singer who got a hit and now its emulated. To me it sounds similar to softening the sibilances during double tracking.
Okay fair enough with a good singing the effect can be very intmate.

I know mic technique was once considered "a cheat" by operatic singers whose could really carry their voices while maintaining articulation.

I'm not a purist but one has to give the client what they want and I am getting my wits around this technique because without compression there is distortion and it has been an engineers job for ages to introduce singers to mic technique and this drone tone doesn't respond out of the proximity.

Slowly reduce the compression during pre production untill the drone singer
gets some feel for the el cheapo mic. LOL Sort of encouraging the person to actually sing! Hehe!
πŸ“ Reply