Quantcast
Anyone Using MPC w/ Pro-Tools ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone Using MPC w/ Pro-Tools ?
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone Using MPC w/ Pro-Tools ?

I´m trying to make a setup for my MPC2500/Pro-tools to work together but I´m getting crazy with that... just don´t works good.
I´m not talking about tracking MPC beats into pro-tools, that´s not the point. The point is I want to use the MPC really synched with pro-tools, so I can playback instrument tracks in pro-tools while I make the beats on the MPC and vice versa. Anyone here using MPC2500 synched with Pro-Tools ? Or yall guys just do everything on the MPC and track into pro-tools after the beat is finished ?
Please help me.

I´ve tryed all the setups they tell here:
Digidesign | Support | Setting up an Akai MPC for use with Pro Tools 7.x using MTC and MIDI Beat Clock.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanjoloco ➡️
I´m trying to make a setup for my MPC2500/Pro-tools to work together but I´m getting crazy with that... just don´t works good.
I´m not talking about tracking MPC beats into pro-tools, that´s not the point. The point is I want to use the MPC really synched with pro-tools, so I can playback instrument tracks in pro-tools while I make the beats on the MPC and vice versa. Anyone here using MPC2500 synched with Pro-Tools ? Or yall guys just do everything on the MPC and track into pro-tools after the beat is finished ?
Please help me.

I´ve tryed all the setups they tell here:
Digidesign | Support | Setting up an Akai MPC for use with Pro Tools 7.x using MTC and MIDI Beat Clock.
I've set this up for clients a buncha times; always using the Midi Beat Clock thing...never had any problems.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
yeah, should be easy. protools sends MIDI beat clock. the MPC listens for MIDI beat clock and chases protools.

perhaps you're trying to control protools with the MPC?

there are good reasons for syncing and for printing mpc trax into protools and each has it's advantages.... you might print a 2 track of the mpc and use that to track vocals or do some edits on a laptop... and syncing is good because you can evolve the MPC sounds/patterns/variations as the song evolves... so you need to learn both.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
MIDI Beat Clock is definitely the answer...
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
I've set this up for clients a buncha times; always using the Midi Beat Clock thing...never had any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.sawyer ➡️
MIDI Beat Clock is definitely the answer...
When I go with the Midi Beat Clock, pro-tools as the master, I got the mpc and pro-tools playing back in synch while I don´t loop a selection. When I make a loop on pro-tools to record the beat on the mpc, the mpc keeps playing but stops the overdub when it returns to the start of the loop. If I just playback the loop, I can notice that there´s a delay between the end of the selection and restart of the loop, and sometimes if I have a kick at the very start of the first looped bar, it plays like doubled and out of synch with protools, getting in synch later... Really weird and uninspiring.

When I try MTC, pro-tools as the master, it loops okay without delay that I had on Midi Beat Clock, and without stopping the overdub, I was like yelling: "Finally I did it" when I noticed that protools was on the bar 03 and mpc on bar 08 (so I yelled: Shhhhhhhhh)

When I try to make MPC the master, pro-tools don´t even playback. (and my midi signal is ok, I´ve recorded midi notes on a midi channel to test).

Well I´m using MPC2500 and pro-tools 7.4 (Digi002). What can be wrong ?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Get your self a keyboard Motif-fantom MIDI it up with the MPC then dump the music using MTC and MPC as the master . No software will do what you want at this time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG ➡️
Get your self a keyboard Motif-fantom MIDI it up with the MPC then dump the music using MTC and MPC as the master . No software will do what you want at this time.
Well I actually got a Triton, and I´ll make a setup like that but deammmm... I want to use my MPC synched with some VSTi´s that I got. Don´t anyone use MPC´s really synched with software ?
Quote:
Well I actually got a Triton, and I´ll make a setup like that but deammmm... I want to use my MPC synched with some VSTi´s that I got. Don´t anyone use MPC´s really synched with software ?
sounds like a latency problem
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I go with the Midi Beat Clock, pro-tools as the master, I got the mpc and pro-tools playing back in synch while I don´t loop a selection. When I make a loop on pro-tools to record the beat on the mpc, the mpc keeps playing but stops the overdub when it returns to the start of the loop. If I just playback the loop, I can notice that there´s a delay between the end of the selection and restart of the loop, and sometimes if I have a kick at the very start of the first looped bar, it plays like doubled and out of synch with protools, getting in synch later... Really weird and uninspiring.

When I try MTC, pro-tools as the master, it loops okay without delay that I had on Midi Beat Clock, and without stopping the overdub, I was like yelling: "Finally I did it" when I noticed that protools was on the bar 03 and mpc on bar 08 (so I yelled: Shhhhhhhhh)

When I try to make MPC the master, pro-tools don´t even playback. (and my midi signal is ok, I´ve recorded midi notes on a midi channel to test).

Well I´m using MPC2500 and pro-tools 7.4 (Digi002). What can be wrong ?
Maybe I'm missing something, but make sure that the tempos in PT and your MPC are the same, and also make sure you've set PT to Loop Record (control click the record symbol in the transport). Or, you could just record from the MPC into PT without looping...or am I misreading what you're trying to do?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
it sounds like a latency issue to me.

set your hardware buffer as low as it will go in pro tools. i have a decently fast comp and i run it at 32 when im using drum machines+midi outboard gear.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Don´t anyone use MPC´s really synched with software?

yes not protools just logic PRO

YouTube - How to use Logic as a sound module with a MPC
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 ➡️
sounds like a latency problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
Maybe I'm missing something, but make sure that the tempos in PT and your MPC are the same, and also make sure you've set PT to Loop Record (control click the record symbol in the transport). Or, you could just record from the MPC into PT without looping...or am I misreading what you're trying to do?
Let me explain... I´m not trying to track the mpc sounds into pro-tools yet... I´m trying to produce something on the Mpc synched with something I do in pro-tools, like play a 8 bars sample on PT starting from bar 02 ending on bar 10 for example. So I´m playing back the PT and hitting overdub record on the MPC, doing the beat, I´m hitting the MPC overdub after a bar of playback on PT becouse I didn´t found a way to arm the MPC rec on PT.

The problem don´t seems to be the buffer (I´m using my lower (128)), becouse when I use MTC I don´t have latency, but a mistake on the play positions.

Using midi beat clock, when PT loops the MPC is unarmed (Still playbacks but stops recording);

Using MTC PT start counting bar 01 as bar 06, and don´t loop right if I don´t configure the loop on the MPC (PT was supposed to be the master). So I renumbered the bars, puting bar 01 being bar 06, putted the loop on the MPC starting from bar 08 and ending on bar 15 for a 8 bar beat. So it worked !!!! But when I tryed to continue my music looping from bar 14 to bar 18, gess what ? MPC started counting bar 14 as bar 18, and as PT got to bar 15 MPC looped to bar 14. So I did back again the first loop, but now MPC was counting bar 08 as bar 12. So I figured out that as I expand the number of bars on MPC, it gets a different crazy bar position synch.

And YES the bpms are the same on the two sequencers.

To me it seems to be a bug, but I´m not sure if is on the MPC
(my os version is 1.23) or on PT 7.4.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I can probably help you with all of this but I have two questions for you:

1) Are you using a mac?

2) What midi interface are you using?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Use Midi Beat Clock, preferably Midi Time Code (MTC) it is more accurate than MBC.

But MAKE sure that you DONT slave the MPC. If you do that you will loose the MPC timing as it slave to that of PT.

Slave PT if you need to work this way.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagearho ➡️
I can probably help you with all of this but I have two questions for you:

1) Are you using a mac?

2) What midi interface are you using?
I´m using a Intel Core2Duo 2.4 PC with a DIGI002 rack that have 1 midi in and 2 midi out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➡️
Use Midi Beat Clock, preferably Midi Time Code (MTC) it is more accurate than MBC.

But MAKE sure that you DONT slave the MPC. If you do that you will loose the MPC timing as it slave to that of PT.

Slave PT if you need to work this way.
Actually, slaving PT is the way I wanted to work at the first place, but I couldn´t get it to work. I´ve tryed to slave PT as they say on the Digidesign´s guide to do this:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?....&itemid=27770

Just don´t works.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I´m using a Intel Core2Duo 2.4 PC with a DIGI002 rack that have 1 midi in and 2 midi out.

Actually, slaving PT is the way I wanted to work at the first place, but I couldn´t get it to work. I´ve tryed to slave PT as they say on the Digidesign´s guide to do this:

Just don´t works.
I promise you that it WILL work.

Take it slow and try once more to read it all and do it again.

I dont know if you know this, but you have to put PT online (The button is in the toolbar.)

I aint in the studio right now. But if you have not figure it out till 2morrow I'll post you the way that I do it.

Good Luck
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I promise you that it WILL work.

Take it slow and try once more to read it all and do it again.

I dont know if you know this, but you have to put PT online (The button is in the toolbar.)

I aint in the studio right now. But if you have not figure it out till 2morrow I'll post you the way that I do it.

Good Luck
Man I´ve tryed with PT online and not online... I´ve read it all again and tryed out at least 20 times, with at least 10 different settings. In most of the setups I tryed, pro-tools didn´t playback online, but played back when not online.
Sometimes I´ve acquired pro-tools to playback slaved to the mpc transport, but it didn´t chased the time position of the mpc, just playbacks and stops with the MPC, but if I was starting playing from the bar 04 of the MPC, PT was playing back from bar 01. Not following loop, not following anything but play and stop. With some other setups PT played the same bar but out of synch (specially when I turned off MMC). I´m getting crazy man.

Thanx 4 tha help. I´ll try again some more 10 or 20 times now...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You can program all the midi info that is triggering your synths by recording the midi data to the mpc instead of recording the midi directly to protools. You just have to set up a instrument track mixer in protools and on each track set the mpc channels to be the input and put your softsynths on the instrument track inserts. Record arm the instrument tracks and each midi channel on your mpc should trigger the corresponding softsynth. Now you can make your whole beat in the mpc and just sync up the mpc to protools to record out your audio once your song is done from both the softsynths and the mpc drums. Looping protools isn't needed, but that should be working regardless as well.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Imagearho: That´s not inspiring man.

Well, is 4 o´clock, I´m tired, trying that for 3 days. I really think is a bug on PT 7.4. This can´t be so hard, it was supposed to be easy. I´ll have to use Battery and MPC as an (expensive) Midi controller... frustrating sh*t. I wanna throw all this sh*t out of my window.

25ghosts: you r my last hope.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Well, is 4 o´clock, I´m tired, trying that for 3 days. I really think is a bug on PT 7.4. This can´t be so hard, it was supposed to be easy. I´ll have to use Battery and MPC as an (expensive) Midi controller... frustrating sh*t. I wanna throw all this sh*t out of my window.

It's not 7.4..I can slave my sp-1200, mpc, and ensoniq eps16 to pro tools without a problem in 7.4 on both my mac and my pc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Definitely not a PT problem.

My MPC4000 runs fine with PT. You need to rethink your MTC connection cuz it works well for others including me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i use a 2500 with the VI's in PT and i don't synch anything

i just make sure i have the right MIDI channel selected in the MP and the right input in the VI track and everything just works fine, when i'm done i just track it out
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Try This - I have just checked it and it works

1) In PT, goto the Setup Menu and select "Peripherals"
2) In the Synchronization Tab, goto "MTC Reader And Generator"
3) In the MPC Reader Port: Select the Midi interface/port which the MPC is hooked into.
Leave the MTC Generator Port set to default or better yet, NONE, that is if you dont want to transmit MTC(Midi Time Code).
BTW. That is the field you would choose if you wanted the MPC to slave to PT
4) Open the PT "Sessions Dialog" (Command + 2 (Numerical Keypad)) - and set(If not already set) the "Time Code Rate"to 25 or whichever you like.
5) Put PT Online. You will need to do that Manually. (Check Manual if you dont know how to.) Button is in the transport so it should be easy.
6) Go to your MPC and navigate to the SYNC menu of it.
7) Under SYNC OUT set it to "MIDI time code" and select the interface/port you specified under peripherals.
8) In Frame rate - set 25 or whichever you set in the Sessions Dialog of PT
9) Turn SYNC on if OFF
10) Goto the sequence in the MPC and hit Play.

If you have followed those guidelines and set the correct midi ports then it works like a charm. When you hit play on the MPC, PT will follow

IHTH
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Looping your MPC with Protools got broken with an upgrade that they made a while back.

It may well have been 6.4 or something like that. When I called Digi, they had no answers, and I was surprised that they didn't seem to have many complaints at the time, as they didn't seem too concerned with fixing it.
Before that, I used to have my MPC3000 looping happily with a loop that would be set in protools, so that I could be working back and forth between both programs.

I think I was probably using Midi beat clock with song position pointer on.

I moved to Logic as a replacement for song arrangement at that point, and left protools for mixing.

These days I use the MPC to trigger Logic as a module for all instruments, which means that I can just push play on the MPC when I want to record instrument parts in any sequence with the MPC as "Master".

When I want to play the arrangement thing back with any vocals that I have already done in Logic. I place the MPC into song mode and push play in Logic which sends MTC to the MPC.
Of course,this method of working would also work in Protools.

It's not perfect, but I'm not sure that there is any other way, and I've been too busy to find out is there have been any changes in protools.

I've had PT8 for a few weeks, so I'll check to see if there is any difference in a couple of days, when I get the chance to install it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel ➡️
Looping your MPC with Protools got broken with an upgrade that they made a while back.

It may well have been 6.4 or something like that. When I called Digi, they had no answers, and I was surprised that they didn't seem to have many complaints at the time, as they didn't seem too concerned with fixing it.
Before that, I used to have my MPC3000 looping happily with a loop that would be set in protools, so that I could be working back and forth between both programs.

I think I was probably using Midi beat clock with song position pointer on.

I moved to Logic as a replacement for song arrangement at that point, and left protools for mixing.

These days I use to MPC to trigger Logic as a module for all instruments, which means that I can just push play on the MPC when I want to record instrument parts in any sequence with the MPC as "Master".

When I want to play the while thing back with any vocals that I have already done in Logic. I place the MPC into song mode and push play in Logic which sends MTC to the MPC.
of course,this method of working would also work in Protools.

It's not perfect, but I'm not sure that there is any other way, and I've been too busy to find out is there have been any changes in protools.

I've had PT8 for a few weeks, so I'll check to see if there is any difference in a couple of days, when I get the chance to install it.
Been on PT since 6.9.3 and I have never had any problems with setting up MPC, MBC or SMPTE with my MPC. And I am on 8 now.

But if you r referral is merely to be able to loop a bar or 2 / then you would have to set the MP as slave and sync it with MBC.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Been on PT since 6.9.3 and I have never had any problems with setting up MPC, MBC or SMPTE with my MPC. And I am on 8 now.

But if you r referral is merely to be able to loop a bar or 2 / then you would have to set the MP as slave and sync it with MBC.
Like I said, I haven't checked since 6.4. It was broken then, but it would be good if it was working again because I'd love to involve Protools in the song construction process when i move to Version 8.

Just a note though, I wouldn't use MBC for looping the MPC, since the general wisdom is that it causes the MPC to lose it's swing. MTC is the preferred choice for sync.

I'm not completely sure if this is true, but hey! I'm superstitious when it comes to the swing on my MPC 3000.

I was looking at your steps for making the MPC master. Do you know if it works for looping sequences?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel ➡️
Like I said, I haven't checked since 6.4. It was broken then, but it would be good if it was working again because I'd love to involve Protools in the song construction process when i move to Version 8.

Just a note though, I wouldn't use MBC for looping the MPC, since the general wisdom is that it causes the MPC to lose it's swing. MTC is the preferred choice for sync.

I'm not completely sure if this is true, but hey! I'm superstitious when it comes to the swing on my MPC 3000.
Basically, it matters not how you slave the MPC. If it is slave you will loose it's timing. If you want it's timing you will need to leave it as master.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Basically, it matters not how you slave the MPC. If it is slave you will loose it's timing. If you want it's timing you will need to leave it as master.
Not true. I know for a fact that the MPC 3000 retains it's swing when set as a slave to Logic, listening for MTC at a frame rate of 25.

I'm being that specific because that's how I'm working right now, and I've checked the swing on it ,just to be sure.

The only thing I was unsure about was whether it retains it's swing whilst listening for Midi beat clock. I've heard that it does not, but I haven't checked it critically.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
25ghosts yes you can put protools in MTC, MC mode but protools can not LOOP while the MPC is the master or slave with out problems. Say you have a 4 bar loop it will not play the first bar but start playing on bar 2 to 4.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=temetrepo;3881492]i use a 2500 with the VI's in PT and i don't synch anything

i just make sure i have the right MIDI channel selected in the MP and the right input in the VI track and everything just works fine, when i'm done i just track it out[/QUOTE

^^^^
Exactly how the setup should be run and used. Why record your midi data in protools when you can just do it in the mp?
📝 Reply