Anyone Using MPC w/ Pro-Tools ? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone Using MPC w/ Pro-Tools ?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➡️
Your first post said nothing about Loop-Recording.
You can however, have the MPC Loop if it is being slaved to PT. But you cant loop PT if it is being slaved to the MPC.
Don´t get me wrong please, I appreciate you were very helpful. It is really that I wasn´t clear enough.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanjoloco ➡️
Don´t get me wrong please, I appreciate you were very helpful. It is really that I wasn´t clear enough.
No worries M8
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
a3n
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
MPC vs PT

25, so the MPC groove templates that have been floating around for the old logix only mimic the quantization not the tempo flucts that happen in realtime playback only ? wow. Any way that that could be recreated .....short of having a CV to midi beat clock interface.....hmm i used to breath more life in my sequence tracks by live conducting the sequencer in a playthrough hitting the tab key......interesting results, takes some practise though
Old 4th August 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanjoloco ➡️
I´m trying to make a setup for my MPC2500/Pro-tools to work together but I´m getting crazy with that... just don´t works good.
I´m not talking about tracking MPC beats into pro-tools, that´s not the point. The point is I want to use the MPC really synched with pro-tools, so I can playback instrument tracks in pro-tools while I make the beats on the MPC and vice versa. Anyone here using MPC2500 synched with Pro-Tools ? Or yall guys just do everything on the MPC and track into pro-tools after the beat is finished ?
Please help me.

I´ve tryed all the setups they tell here:
Digidesign | Support | Setting up an Akai MPC for use with Pro Tools 7.x using MTC and MIDI Beat Clock.
ok so i think im having the same issue as him...... i will try to explain it my way and see what response i get and hopefully help out the original guy who posted this topic in the first place.....

i use to use my mpc, fantom and motif to make all my beats, then tracked them out in pro tools. when i switched over to logic, then recently to pro tools 8 i dont use my mpc(mainly bcuz i cant figure out how to)... i have all my mpc drum kits in battery, fantom and motif are midi'd up to pro tools and i LOVE my software synths.... now to my problem....

so i love the work flow i get by composing in pro tools 8 BUT i miss using my mpc for drums and samples... using a keyboard to trigger battery just dont feel the same and maybe its mental but i feel like i make better drum programs with the mpc. so my wish is to be able to have pro tools synced with my mpc 2500 but i mean perfectly synced! i also tried every set up that digidesigns forum said to use (mpc as master, pro tools as master, mbc, mtc etc...) it just dosent sync well enough, its down right frustrating! heres an example of the main issue i face.... lets say i have my mpc2500 as master (mbc) i made about 8 tracks of drums and a few midi tracks of synths , happy with the beat so far and now i want to track it into pro tools to add some finishing touches with a few software synths BUT when i hit record and play on pro tools it tracks in my music like 1/2 a second late, if i try to manually chop the begining it doesnt sit right and the timing is off when i loop it or try to add my soft synths, i read in a post somewhere else someone saying "well just trim it, only takes a few seconds, then keep on working" umm NO, yea it does only take a few seconds to correct that 1/2 second but it never feels the same and TOTALLY F's up my workflow and creative state im in...

sorry for the long post and rambling on and on but im trying to be detailed to not post again.... so i guess my main question is YES or NO can pro tools and the mpc be synced "perfectly" as in time wise, i have a beefy macpro 8core 16gigs of ram with the buffer set LOW so i know its not latency. is there such a thing as having a flawless workflow between these two things? i would love to be able to make drums in my mpc, add some soft synths in pro tools and some midi tracks and not have to worry about the time being off.... i mean working solely in pro tools 8 is awesome i can use my midi stuff and soft synths throw in vocals and be done FAST but i would love to throw in the mpc into the equation. the best way it works from all the set ups ive tried is pro tools as master with mbc (1/2 seconf off timing tho) mtc starts a few bars into it WTF! and mpc as master also is more off timing wise.

if it can be done then cool, if not can a pro or someone with more exprience just say move on and ill have to just get use to doin everything in pro tools 8 now :/

thanks alot for reading this
Old 4th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by priv510 ➡️
ok so i think im having the same issue as him...... i will try to explain it my way and see what response i get and hopefully help out the original guy who posted this topic in the first place.....

i use to use my mpc, fantom and motif to make all my beats, then tracked them out in pro tools. when i switched over to logic, then recently to pro tools 8 i dont use my mpc(mainly bcuz i cant figure out how to)... i have all my mpc drum kits in battery, fantom and motif are midi'd up to pro tools and i LOVE my software synths.... now to my problem....

so i love the work flow i get by composing in pro tools 8 BUT i miss using my mpc for drums and samples... using a keyboard to trigger battery just dont feel the same and maybe its mental but i feel like i make better drum programs with the mpc. so my wish is to be able to have pro tools synced with my mpc 2500 but i mean perfectly synced! i also tried every set up that digidesigns forum said to use (mpc as master, pro tools as master, mbc, mtc etc...) it just dosent sync well enough, its down right frustrating! heres an example of the main issue i face.... lets say i have my mpc2500 as master (mbc) i made about 8 tracks of drums and a few midi tracks of synths , happy with the beat so far and now i want to track it into pro tools to add some finishing touches with a few software synths BUT when i hit record and play on pro tools it tracks in my music like 1/2 a second late, if i try to manually chop the begining it doesnt sit right and the timing is off when i loop it or try to add my soft synths, i read in a post somewhere else someone saying "well just trim it, only takes a few seconds, then keep on working" umm NO, yea it does only take a few seconds to correct that 1/2 second but it never feels the same and TOTALLY F's up my workflow and creative state im in...

sorry for the long post and rambling on and on but im trying to be detailed to not post again.... so i guess my main question is YES or NO can pro tools and the mpc be synced "perfectly" as in time wise, i have a beefy macpro 8core 16gigs of ram with the buffer set LOW so i know its not latency. is there such a thing as having a flawless workflow between these two things? i would love to be able to make drums in my mpc, add some soft synths in pro tools and some midi tracks and not have to worry about the time being off.... i mean working solely in pro tools 8 is awesome i can use my midi stuff and soft synths throw in vocals and be done FAST but i would love to throw in the mpc into the equation. the best way it works from all the set ups ive tried is pro tools as master with mbc (1/2 seconf off timing tho) mtc starts a few bars into it WTF! and mpc as master also is more off timing wise.

if it can be done then cool, if not can a pro or someone with more exprience just say move on and ill have to just get use to doin everything in pro tools 8 now :/

thanks alot for reading this
Yes it can be done. Certainly with the MPC 3000 anyway. I incorporate my MPC like this with Logic or protools.

My current preference is with the MPC as master using MTC.

Song mode is your friend...
Old 4th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for replying...

no matter what set up i try or who the master is... i still get the timing off by a fracton of a second? it sucks when i have a few tracks in a 4bar loop in pro tools 8 and if i want to record in say a drum pattern from the mpc that fraction of a second SUCKS! a buddy of minewho also produces tried syncing his mpc to logic a while back and he told me the reason he stopped and went back to just usin the mpc was also because the timing was off.... are we the only two guys having trouble with this fraction of a second off time issue?
Old 16th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Avid and logic must address this issue
Old 14th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Okay I dug out this old topic since I have a few questions about syncing the MPC4k.

So the 4k has the SMPTE in and out. But what are the possibilities to use it with a 003 interface?
Is it more stable and accurate than MTC sync?
Is it possible to use the clock ( digital ) to sync my set up on it. In other words, is it possible to use the 4000k as a master clock? If yes how??

Sorr for all the questions at once, but it'd be really helpful to me if someone could answer on this ?
Thanks a lot
Old 19th October 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
I've set this up for clients a buncha times; always using the Midi Beat Clock thing...never had any problems.
I have had no issues using MTC for this application. Very interesting
Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
4k as masterclock?

So there's nobody who ever tried using a Mpc4000 or 3000 as a master clock.

The Smpte problem I can solve it myself. It'll take longer than with some help,
But I'm still looking on how to use 4000k as a masterclock. ????
Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ever heard of the product sync-lock? May wanna check that out it may solve your problem.
Old 29th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
never heard before. I'll check this out. Thank you very much
Old 12th November 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
MPC with pro-tools

Ive been reading this thread and I wanna know also...whats the best way to go about hooking my mpc up with pro tools. People told me to record my finished beat/sequenced work through audio...but id like pro-tools to read my machine and have my mpc as the master and pro-tools be the slave if that makes any type of sense?
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You could try syncing them via MIDI Clock (dunno if MTC is possible with the MP as master). It will work to varying degree, depending on the MIDI interface on the computer side. It will cause a varying shift each time you start the MP, but if you can record all tracks at once, it shouldn't be too hard moving all tracks at once to bar 1.
With MIDI Clock, position information isn't possible AFAIK, so PT will start with the MP, but won't follow if jumping to locations.

To get rock-solid sync between PT and my MPC 5K I'm going to get an InnerClock Sync-Lock and use it with PT as Master (other way around is possible too, but makes no sense in that scenario).
The Sync-Lock is supposed to give such a stable clock that it doesn't compromise the MP's feel/groove/swing. And I can use the Syn-Gen plugin to send the timing track. Also that way it's easier to maneuver to locations in a recording scenario and I wouldn't have to sacrifice one of my MP's single outs.

With a Sync-Lock I hope to get best of both worlds: MP as the main sequencer, PT for the audio tracks and VIs which are triggered by the MP.
Old 12th November 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone Using MPC w/ Pro-Tools ?

Ill post a vid tonite on how to do this with mpc 2500 as the master
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdeus ➡️
Ive been reading this thread and I wanna know also...whats the best way to go about hooking my mpc up with pro tools. People told me to record my finished beat/sequenced work through audio...but id like pro-tools to read my machine and have my mpc as the master and pro-tools be the slave if that makes any type of sense?
Possible YES.... But you WILL have to consider a few things:

1) PT does NOT sync to Midi Beat Clock and Midi Time Code does NOT contain tempo information

2) I.e. 97 BPM on the MPC is NOT 97 BPM in PT. In this scenario PT would have to be set at about 97.0122 BPM - that is if you want the beats to line up on the grid. This of course gets a lot more noticeable the longer the recording

What I do is this and that is the only way to keep a 100% sync that I know of..

1) The MPC SMPTE out goes into my CLAB Time Machine SMPTE Input. The CLAB time machine is also the studio word clock master.

2) PT is set to sync to midi time code and is WC-Slaved to the time machine.

What happens is this

1) The MPC sends out SMPTE to the Time Machine
2) Time Machine is then set to generate
A) Wordclock
B) Midi Time Code

derived from the incoming SMPTE of the MPC

Thats it. Perfect sync
Old 13th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq_EvtHshNI

Last edited by liotta soda; 13th November 2010 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: link
Old 3rd December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I totally agree with 25ghosts on this one. Midi Clock transmits swing by increasing and decreasing the frequency of the pulse signal. that usually results in the BPM being set in some mathematical relation to the low frequency and the tempo information is derived from the information in the pulse code.

The MPC's BPM wont move because the BPM readout is designed to give the average baseline BPM to the user.

The MPC's engine will be tempo swinging (more) when you add higher swing values. you just won't see it that's all.

if you Analise the actual midi pulses on another external sequencer you'll see finer grained placements than is possible with a 96ppqn resolution.

again, you wont see that in the MPC because the grid only shows 96ppqn.

This is standard Midi Clock swing behavior but I think the MPC is a more complex algorithm than the standard behavior. it possibly uses two modulating derivatives. which is why the midi notes go ahead and behind the beat center. they may even use a smoother sinewave type LFO instead or interpolate two waveforms to get the feel.

if the MPC's algorithm is enhanced in some way then syncing it to (any) other device would impact the nature of that algorithm.

from what I understand, MTC doesn't carry tempo information like Midi Clock does but, it's frequency might be able to determine tempo (if) it's used as the source frequency pulse master for the rest of the code generation and the frequency is increased or decreased. e.g. via tape varispeed. theoretically that could increase the frequency of the frame rate. to what % that might work +/-, I know not. however, it's the slave signal which may alter in response.

for example, Logic can alter it's sample rate in response to the tempo of a time code master.

QUOTE:
MTC Trigger + Auto Speed Detection
Similar to MTC Trigger (see below), but the Speed Detection constantly monitors the
tempo of the time code master, while Logic is running. The next time you start Logic, it
will use an adapted sample rate.
This mode keeps long regions in better sync with the time code master, although not
as closely as “MTC Continuous”. It does, however, use a constant sample rate, which is
not affected by variations in the time code master signal.
📝 Reply