Quantcast
Sampling commitment: sample to MPC1000 or to computer? Need advice from experienced - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sampling commitment: sample to MPC1000 or to computer? Need advice from experienced
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sampling commitment: sample to MPC1000 or to computer? Need advice from experienced

I'm ready to start sampling off some records that I've wanted to sample for a while and make some hip-hop/electro. I also recently got an MPC1000, a big hard drive for it, new MPC1000 pads, and JJOS with plans to use it for the sampling task.

The question is this:

I see sampling as time invested in getting good sounds in order to make cooler/better productions. I own decent audio interfaces: RME Multiface II and EMU 1616M. I was thinking of sampling everything to the MPC though. Is this a bad idea? Am I making the wrong decision by choosing to record these samples to the MPC instead of to my computer through better A/D converters?

What do you guys think I should do? I'm planning to do hours and hours of sampling, and I wanted to give the mpc a chance.

I usually work with DAW's like Cubase and Sonar and this is the kind of stuff I've made: BrainZtain Music I'm planning to make my style a little more mainstream while maintaining the creativity and originallity. What do you guys think I should do?! Would getting into the MPC be a step back or should I be spending my time more wisely in other approaches to music making? I need advice from experienced users please.

Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sample directly into all of my gear. The only time I don't is if I am using a digital source, like a wav drum kit. Under those circumstances I just load it into the mpc.

Otherwise everything (usually vinyl) goes straight to the machines (mpc, sp, eps16, s950, etc).

You'll be fine.

Someone will say it's much easier to chop on software. I beg to differ. I enjoy chopping on hardware. I never rely on auto chop tools either though my 1000 has them. I take what I want piece by piece.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hey
Next I would get this
http://www.mybunnyhug.org/software/mpcpad187/help/.

I own a mpc 1000 and a mpc 2000 (not XL).

Basically on days I am not feeling creative I go thought records/cds and sample them in to protools and chop them up. And put them in there own folder with a blank pro tools session. I then use MPC PAD 187 software to make mpc progams of the samples i have just chops up. I will also add drums sound/ breaks etc that i think will sound good with the samples.

On days I just want to makes beats and get busy - I am all ready to go!
(no time wasted chopping/srting sounds)

In summing up I use what the computer is good for (sample libary storage-Program making-chopping samples on a big bright screen)
And the mpc for what it's good at(sequencing etc).

Hope this helps you out.
D
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you have a background with hardware, the mpc is fine at chopping/storing samples in my opinion.
📝 Reply