has the economy affected your rates? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
has the economy affected your rates?
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
has the economy affected your rates?

hey guys,

I noticed a while back that there was a thread made about the "usual" Major Industry rates (advances) for Producers, depending on if theyre new-jacks or vets. To those of you making a living off of producing records, have you had to cut your rates down or notice the labels are less willing to pay for your records right away? I cant find the thread but it seemed that the concensus made back then was like $3500-$5000 for new Producers. Does that sound about right today?

To the engineers, has the amount of work coming your way declined much?
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If there is a decline I can assure you its not because of the economy...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I'm not making top dollar anyway,...
but the downfall-ing of the music industry, combined with the downfall of our economy creates a pretty big problem in my book.

We're in the "luxuries" business, people don't need music like they need water, food, housing, etc..
So if people have even less to spend on the necessities, that means they have a LOT less to spend on music,....which we've seen over time killed off all the major labels, tons of smaller labels, and certainly killed their income,...
which certainly killed their budget,..... which means less money to make a record,....
which means an inevitable cut in our pay as engineers or producers.

Us new guys get hit pretty hard, we don't have a bunch of major label names to rely on, a huge discography.....
we're stuck in the grind of trying to work with ANY kinda talented/broke/small band,....
If the band members are still all working minimum wage jobs at mcdonalds, spending all their hard earned money on feeding themselves,....how can they afford to pay the studio $400 a day,....plus my fee,...for enough days to make a record?
They can't.

hip-hop is a little different, luckily hip-hop requires less space and equipment, so i can sell music beds, record rappers from my living room, etc...
It saves the studio fees therefore allowing more money for them to actually pay me.
which in turn barely buys my mcdonalds for the day,......and the cycle continues.

:sigh:
dfegad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im not going to get into numbers but they've definitely declined over the last 12 months. I'm having to hustle a lot more ...
Deleted User
Labels are definitely taking longer to pay and you have to stay on their backs to get your check.

Thank God for indies.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've been more slammed these past few months than ever before, and I've been working with considerably higher-profile clients. I'm charging the same rate for most of these gigs, but makin' more because I've been so damn busy. The gigs where I changed my price I'm actually charging more, not less. I gotta say: it's been all good here!

And to top it all off, I might be headed to South Africa for a few weeks for a gig with a VERY famous producer. Keepin' my fingers crossed on that one!heh

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMartinezBodega ➡️
Labels are definitely taking longer to pay and you have to stay on their backs to get your check.

Thank God for indies.
I've had a harder time with the indies, actually!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
Nice to hear someone is doing good in these tough times...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've been more slammed these past few months than ever before, and I've been working with considerably higher-profile clients. I'm charging the same rate for most of these gigs, but makin' more because I've been so damn busy. The gigs where I changed my price I'm actually charging more, not less. I gotta say: it's been all good here!

And to top it all off, I might be headed to South Africa for a few weeks for a gig with a VERY famous producer. Keepin' my fingers crossed on that one!heh

Yep. Same here. Well, except the part of going to South Africa to work with a VERY famous producer.heh BTW, good luck Benny! I'll be emailing you to find out more.

But yeah, I'm busy as hell. Haven't seen a single sign of slow down over here. Just getting more and more busy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its not a coincidence that ben has a great attitude about music production in general, AND he is doing well.

from my end, although i am not rocking international recording gigs, i have had more sessions in the last couple of months than ever before.

why?

trying harder. making sure than word of mouth is working well. keeping people happy. presenting myself as a professional. not rocket science.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx ➡️
Nice to hear someone is doing good in these tough times...
When I said this statement, I meant in general and not just with music. These are the toughest times this country has ever faced and to be doing good during these times is great. Especially when all you hear about is ppl losing jobs... I don't care how he's doing it, just happy to hear another fellow is doing well. FWIW, i've been fairly busy myself with mastering but I hate that so many others struggle and lose their jobs. So i'm grateful for what I have and I love to hear others are doing good for themselves as well but you can't help but to feel for the people that are not.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Everyone is going to feel it sooner or later man - trust me - im definitely feeling that im getting more business in other countries than i am here in the USA -
you mentioned the South Africa thing - that is no coincidence! its going global and unless you ride that wave you're going to really feel it in the next few years -
rates will drop - thats a promise - the posers will be separated from the hit-makers!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My personal opinion is that those who are doing the right things, doing good business, and are creating a good product are going to be those that will see little to no decline in their earnings due to the economy. Those who were barely getting by to begin with will probably find it harder to cope unfortunately.
Deleted User
Quote:
I just say that about the indies because most of the time I get paid from the upfront and don't have to send out invoices and chase after my money.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor ➡️
its not a coincidence that ben has a great attitude about music production in general, AND he is doing well.

from my end, although i am not rocking international recording gigs, i have had more sessions in the last couple of months than ever before.

why?

trying harder. making sure than word of mouth is working well. keeping people happy. presenting myself as a professional. not rocket science.
This seems be the "secret formula"...workin' your ass off and always smilin' and saying "yes, sir", period. It ain't rocket science, but it's damn difficult sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMartinezBodega ➡️
I just say that about the indies because most of the time I get paid from the upfront and don't have to send out invoices and chase after my money.
I dig it. Sadly, most of the indies I've been dealing with still do the ol' invoice after the record's done thang. The only clients who pay up front are unsigned artists or local indie labels (which are more or less just an unsigned artist who wanted to put an imprint on his record).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadden Heart ➡️
Well, I'm not making top dollar anyway,...
but the downfall-ing of the music industry, combined with the downfall of our economy creates a pretty big problem in my book.

We're in the "luxuries" business, people don't need music like they need water, food, housing, etc..
So if people have even less to spend on the necessities, that means they have a LOT less to spend on music,....which we've seen over time killed off all the major labels, tons of smaller labels, and certainly killed their income,...
which certainly killed their budget,..... which means less money to make a record,....
which means an inevitable cut in our pay as engineers or producers.

Us new guys get hit pretty hard, we don't have a bunch of major label names to rely on, a huge discography.....
we're stuck in the grind of trying to work with ANY kinda talented/broke/small band,....
If the band members are still all working minimum wage jobs at mcdonalds, spending all their hard earned money on feeding themselves,....how can they afford to pay the studio $400 a day,....plus my fee,...for enough days to make a record?
They can't.

hip-hop is a little different, luckily hip-hop requires less space and equipment, so i can sell music beds, record rappers from my living room, etc...
It saves the studio fees therefore allowing more money for them to actually pay me.
which in turn barely buys my mcdonalds for the day,......and the cycle continues.

:sigh:
dfegad

You speak directly from my heart...thats SOOOO true !
well, i dont make music for money, but yeah, you just GOTTA get paid...its not the best time to start a music producer career right now...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…