Quantcast
Peluso>Mp-500NV - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peluso>Mp-500NV
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Peluso>Mp-500NV

I know the API 512c is great for the sm7 But for the peluso 2247le is the Great river MP-500NV a better choice for the Peluso?

How do these 2 preamps compare? Would it be good to have both of them for different character or are they similar enough to not waste my money. I hear the great river is great but Im not sure if this model is the one everyone raves about because I looked up another on ebay and it was $2K range?
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➑️
I know the API 512c is great for the sm7 But for the peluso 2247le is the Great river MP-500NV a better choice for the Peluso?

How do these 2 preamps compare? Would it be good to have both of them for different character or are they similar enough to not waste my money. I hear the great river is great but Im not sure if this model is the one everyone raves about because I looked up another on ebay and it was $2K range?
Here we go again..another comparison thread.
The more mikes and pres the better.
This way you will amass a decent collection for any occasion.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Api is mid agressive and the GR will have a big sound like a neve. It would be versatile to have both of them. I have a similar setup. Though i tend to like the neve sounding pre the best.

if you have a lunch box, get both. the 500nv is the same as the others, just made for a lunchbox.

hope that helps somewhat.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i just got the GR and it's the ish. i got the 500 series.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Here we go again..another comparison thread.
The more mikes and pres the better.
This way you will amass a decent collection for any occasion.
Sorry homie But we aint BALLIN like that just yet. And if we cant ask this on GEAR slutz where can we ask it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry homie But we aint BALLIN like that just yet. And if we cant ask this on GEAR slutz where can we ask it.
you can ask it in the search field. this topic has been covered more than any other.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well Im going to be using the peluso 2247le and the sm7b for most of everything for a while and I can only afford one so Im trying to decide what will be better for me. If it helps I will post a track me and my right hand are foolin with.Just hook ideas for now. But he is the first voice Im the second. With the two mics I have and our voice which Pre 500nv or 512c would you suggest and why?

Is the 500nv a high gain Pre?Cause I know the sm7b needs that.

Please dont post how the second parts doubles are off I know this I did this in 2 takes,5mins just to get down the melody I had in my head.The first cat was done right.
For some reason cant post clip but go to the Distortion pissin me off thread and listen to the
SECOND clip called "clip master".Not the first its distorted.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If it were me and my money and I could only get one, I would go with the Great River. IMO, a more versatile sound. I know that you can do a lot with the API pres, but their sound is a well-known sound that you've heard before, but may not realize it... a lot of rock records and on drums. Just one man's opinion.

I believe that GR that you're seeing for $2k is the two channel GR MP-2NV. The MP-1NV runs a bit more than $1k new and the lunch box version MP-500 runs in the $750 range. So take your pick. Just realize that if you're getting the MP-500 you need an API-style lunchbox.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think Im ordering the GR today.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think Im ordering the GR today.
I think it will serve you well. Its a very versatile preamplifier. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im excited. Im going to get the RNC to go with it.You think thats a good match?
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im excited. Im going to get the RNC to go with it.You think thats a good match?
Yea, its really helpful with the Great River, but you might check out the FMR PBC-6A!!! That beast is a way tougher sounding box, plus its balanced and I think it does kicks the RNC's a## all over the place with regard to character and tone shaping. That thing is a like a Mini EL8!!!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think GR is a kool idea, full, smooth and creamy, heavy weight champ . Huuuuge bottom, smooth highs. Fits SM7 perfectly too,enough gain..but whats enough haha. besides - DI is perfect tooo....

...It has a character, you will find since first hearing. Some love it, some might prefere bit less characteristic sound, some just hunt for it..

but GR is a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y clean and shiny, transparent.... Finally always its matter of priorities, setup, use and source i think. More you drive input more you get colour and fullness, less you drive input and ride output you closer to "clean", thats what is really nice on this unit..

I Loved Aurora channel strip with SM7 also - miraculous, all in one...But its a higher price range... Dont have experience with Api so much, but what i think and heard by my limited experience with that brand you would not be mistaken too...fast and gives a punch, can be usefull for tracking mpc drums and rap vocs too as they are "percussive" ..but finally its matter of taste..good idea to get both as 500 series as some posted before..

maybe you should try before buy..good luck
A.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud ➑️
I think GR is a kool idea, full, smooth and creamy, heavy weight champ . Huuuuge bottom, smooth highs. Fits SM7 perfectly too,enough gain..but whats enough haha. besides - DI is perfect tooo....

...It has a character, you will find since first hearing. Some love it, some might prefere bit less characteristic sound, some just hunt for it..

but GR is a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y clean and shiny, transparent.... Finally always its matter of priorities, setup, use and source i think. More you drive input more you get colour and fullness, less you drive input and ride output you closer to "clean", thats what is really nice on this unit..

however I found sometimes s.o.m.e. vocals/vocalists a just a bit less detailed in mids, less crispy /if desirable in some cases/, but all this can be tweaked a bit on Eq or trying a different microphone, positioning bla bla,...matter of experience, and finally you will find probably every preamp might not fit some source and it fits some source more..just my experience, and im not blaming GR - blaming myself first

I Loved Aurora channel strip with SM7 also - miraculous, all in one...But its a higher price range... Dont have experience with Api so much, but what i think and heard by my limited experience with that brand you would not be mistaken too...fast and gives a punch, can be usefull for tracking mpc drums and rap vocs too as they are "percussive" ..but finally its matter of taste..good idea to get both as 500 series as some posted before..

maybe you should try before buy..good luck
A.
Yeah I wish I could try before buy.That would be ideal. But there aint any stores here that have anything like this here.But I was all set on getting the GR for my sm7 and peluso 2247le but an engineer told me that he would use a chain to help my bring out the midrange of my voice. And from what I read the 512c has an mid range edge,so now Im confused again. Im going to get both but cant afford both now.

Anyone here used the TC electronic triple c for vox?

🎧 15 years
I would probably get the API... I've used it in conjunction with the 47 LE and works wonderfully. And the API is probably the go to preamp when it comes to the SM7...

If you are on a budget, get that and a DBX 160A and get to recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud ➑️
I agree... the Aurora GTQC is the top dog if he can swing it... One of best preamps on the market, a nice sweetening EQ, and hands down the best all around compressor money can buy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah Im getting the 512c.Unfortunately I cant find any samples of the 500nv but between what the engineer said and hearing the 512c on this site Im going to run with it.I dont think I can go wrong with it.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GR 500NV samples?

And the dbx,I have a dbx 1066 and was told its good for bass but to fast for vox. I have it and gon keep it so hopefully it similar enough to the one your suggesting to have it covered. But Im looking for something a step up to match better with what setup Ill have. What would be the next step up in the same price range tony?Is the RNC in the same league as the dbx.Would it be a step up or doen? Im considering the new FMR compressor.Its a little more but seems pretty versatile.

An engineer mentioned a TC electronic triple c or a joemeek. I know the joemeek is more colored so with the api being more colored would I want something more transparent like a RNC?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What do you think you are going to hear in samples recorded with a preamp through the internet? The qualities of a preamp are not going to be discernible without knowing what the room sounds like or how the microphone interacts with the singer or rapper. It's an exercise in futility, and anyone who says different is wrong.

Quote:
And the dbx,I have a dbx 1066 and was told its good for bass but to fast for vox. I have it and gon keep it so hopefully it similar enough to the one your suggesting to have it covered
It's not...

Quote:
But Im looking for something a step up to match better with what setup Ill have. What would be the next step up in the same price range tony?Is the RNC in the same league as the dbx.Would it be a step up or doen? Im considering the new FMR compressor.Its a little more but seems pretty versatile.
I would probably stretch up to a Summit TLA-50. But, honestly I don't really like any of the compressors on the market under the $1000 price point. The 160A is an exception.

Quote:
An engineer mentioned a TC electronic triple c or a joemeek. I know the joemeek is more colored so with the api being more colored would I want something more transparent like a RNC?
A lot of junk... I wouldn't waste the money.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah Im getting the 512c.Unfortunately I cant find any samples of the 500nv but between what the engineer said and hearing the 512c on this site Im going to run with it.I dont think I can go wrong with it.

to make your search easier...just look for any great river samples. The 500nv is just like the non 500 series preamps.

There was a topic thismorning which talked about a brand of mics that is quite new to me. On the site in there they had sample of it gong througha great river and other pres. it could give you a good idea. have a look its in the hiphop board somewhere within the first few pages.

If your still stuck, see if you can rent a studio for an hour that has the stuff your interested in. Take in your mics and test it. The sound may change slightly as the room accoustics will be different at home...but it will be very similar. Then you would know what you were looking for.
πŸ“ Reply