Quantcast
Is There a BIG difference? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is There a BIG difference?
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is There a BIG difference?

Hey, peoples i was wondering would there be a big difference in switching from emu-1616m to and RME 800...

I have a AKG b ULS mic > Avalon 737 > Distressor 8x > into a emu 1616m as of right now.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Honestly I know nothing about these products yet, but it seems like your wondering about the sound difference, and the awnser your going to get is "use your ears" from everbody.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortyhat ➡️
Hey, peoples i was wondering would there be a big difference in switching from emu-1616m to and RME 800...

I have a AKG b ULS mic > Avalon 737 > Distressor 8x > into a emu 1616m as of right now.
You will definitely hear a difference in the sound of the vocals you record with the Fireface in comparison to the ones you record with the 1616m. When tracking synths and drum machines, the difference might not be as easy to distinguish.

Is the difference in sound worth the difference in price? That will depend on your current setup and your personal tastes. If you don't have a vocal booth or some type of room treatment and something like a Reflexion filter, I'd suggest getting that done before looking for better conversion. A properly treated recording environment and mediocre consumer converters can get better results than a untreated or poorly treated recording environment and a premium converter.

Some people get lucky and get away with not treating their recording rooms because naturally conditions in the room sound alright; but that is a very rare case.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i went from an emu 1212m (after one of the outputs went soft) to an rme ff800 and i believed i heard a difference. If I had to describe it I would say that I could hear more details in the sound.
📝 Reply