Quantcast
Vintage Roland JV-1080/2080 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintage Roland JV-1080/2080
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vintage Roland JV-1080/2080

Anybody still using a Roland JV-1080 or 2080? Some of the best albums came from this piece of gear and now you can get it for next to nothing! Is it a classic piece of gear like the ASR-10? I think it has some of the best e-piano's I've ever heard... Just wondering if any of you guys still use it in your productions now that you have the Fantom, Motif, Triton, etc... Somebody was selling one on craigslist the other day for $160, FULLY expanded!
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
i see a lot more 5080s than i do 10 or 2080s, but they're still around and getting used.

definitely worth $160!!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 ➑️
i see a lot more 5080s than i do 10 or 2080s, but they're still around and getting used.

definitely worth $160!!
Yeah, I wish I could have snagged that...
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have one of most of the JD/JV series.
The best sounding is the JD990.
The JV1080 is fine (although calling it 'vintage' is a bit of a push), sounds good but it isn't 'amazing'. More of a 'bread and butter' synth.
Old 2nd February 2009
Chiconcuac
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➑️
Anybody still using a Roland JV-1080 or 2080? Some of the best albums came from this piece of gear and now you can get it for next to nothing! Is it a classic piece of gear like the ASR-10? I think it has some of the best e-piano's I've ever heard... Just wondering if any of you guys still use it in your productions now that you have the Fantom, Motif, Triton, etc... Somebody was selling one on craigslist the other day for $160, FULLY expanded!
I love my 2080, it is the only Roland module that can run 8 JV cards at the same time.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still use my JV2080 on almost every production (1 or 2 sounds).
Compbined with other suff of course.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave ➑️
I have one of most of the JD/JV series.
The best sounding is the JD990.
The JV1080 is fine (although calling it 'vintage' is a bit of a push), sounds good but it isn't 'amazing'. More of a 'bread and butter' synth.
Exactly. I have the xp 30 which is the keyboard version of the jv 1080. And I use it a lot for bread and butter sounds. Which is surprising to me kuz I bought a Trinity thinking I'd use it for bread and butter sounds but I seem to find myself going back to the roland everytime.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton ➑️
Exactly. I have the xp 30 which is the keyboard version of the jv 1080. And I use it a lot for bread and butter sounds. Which is surprising to me kuz I bought a Trinity thinking I'd use it for bread and butter sounds but I seem to find myself going back to the roland everytime.
The xp 30 and 80 are great keyboards! One of the greatest R&B albums, Brian Mcknight's "I Remember You", was made on an XP 30... (except the live bass and guitars, of course) That album had some of the best usage of that keyboard... Classic!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Even the little one rackspace 1010 is still useable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The xp 30 and 80 are great keyboards! One of the greatest R&B albums, Brian Mcknight's "I Remember You", was made on an XP 30... (except the live bass and guitars, of course) That album had some of the best usage of that keyboard... Classic!
idk that song. Not up on my Brian Mcknight. Which album? Any youtube links?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton ➑️
idk that song. Not up on my Brian Mcknight. Which album? Any youtube links?
Brian McKnight - I Remember You - Lyrics, Videos, Reviews, Track Listing, Clips, Credits - ARTISTdirect Music

You really need to get the album to appreciate it... Easily 4-5 stars IMO...

Something on youtube I found... Crappy audio, but still great song...

Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Brian McKnight - I Remember You - Lyrics, Videos, Reviews, Track Listing, Clips, Credits - ARTISTdirect Music

You really need to get the album to appreciate it... Easily 4-5 stars IMO...

Something on youtube I found... Crappy audio, but still great song...

cool song. not my thing but it gets the thumbs up for being made on the xp30
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1080 and Trinity V3 still used here.

Bread-and-butter heh

Man, I refuse to pay for 'new' synths β€” some cost more than a new car
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat ➑️
1080 and Trinity V3 still used here.

Bread-and-butter heh

Man, I refuse to pay for 'new' synths β€” some cost more than a new car
i agree. Most companies especially roland and korg are just recycling old sounds adding 3 or 4 new features into the box and slapping the same price tag on the product. There is no reason to buy a new version of your favorite keyboard everytime one comes out. I will continue to rock my XP 30 and my Trinity Rack until they don't work anymore. And at that point I will probably go all software lol.
Old 30th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Roland JV-1080 Expansion 60s & 70's Demo

Hey guys check out some sounds I've done with the 60's and 70's expansion board running it through Roland JV-1080 enjoy!!

YouTube - Roland JV-SR80 08 60s & 70s Keyboards Expansion DEMO
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have the 2080, been trying to sell it tho
Old 7th May 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeek ➑️
I have the 2080, been trying to sell it tho
check your pms MrMeek
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➑️
i agree. Most companies especially roland and korg are just recycling old sounds adding 3 or 4 new features into the box and slapping the same price tag on the product. There is no reason to buy a new version of your favorite keyboard everytime one comes out. I will continue to rock my XP 30 and my Trinity Rack until they don't work anymore. And at that point I will probably go all software lol.
lol at this post I sold my XP 30 at the end of that year and bought a mpc 2000 with the money
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I sold it, but it was a cool unit.

A unit that I did not sell and I still really love is the Planet Phatt from EMU and the ZR-76 from Ensoniq. Great instruments and also used on several productions! And a JUNO 60.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sold my JV 1080

kept my JD 990 and XV 3080 = Awesome
Old 8th May 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i use the roland jv all the time. pretty much every track. but ... im not sure its considered "vintage" is it?
Old 8th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I still needa cop myself a 5080... I need a real job... lol.
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
could someone please tell me, do you need to buy the expansion cards in order to access the certain sounds? or are the cards essentially cards of patches?

like would they be floating around in sysex format on the internet?
Old 2nd April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes the expansion cards are newpatches
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How about the 3080 what do you guys think about that unit for its multisamples? Piano, strings, gtr, ect? Looking to add one to my studio they run for about $350 exactly my budget!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Gearslutz App
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Honestly why grab that when u can get so much more for the same price in the plug in world?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➑️
Honestly why grab that when u can get so much more for the same price in the plug in world?
I'm tired of plugins! I have literally almost every single plugin that has been released in the last 5 years shared between me and my producers the only "must have" soft synths we don't have are Omnisphere and well the East West products since they are a bit expensive yet sound really good.

We never made the investment since we have gotten great results with what we have but this is more on a personal level for my project studio, hardware seems to spark creativity as I have grown accustomed to virtual instruments and been spoiled for the last few years they havent been so fun to acquire as of lately =/
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i used to own a 2080 but i sold it. Overpriced machine. I recently found a 1010 for 100 euros, more bang for the buck for me. Same sounds, less editing options, more presets, 1 slot for a jv80 expansion card.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNotes ➑️
Hey guys check out some sounds I've done with the 60's and 70's expansion board running it through Roland JV-1080 enjoy!!

YouTube - Roland JV-SR80 08 60s & 70s Keyboards Expansion DEMO
Superb! Best SR-JV card by far, that's why they still sell for quite a bit.

Should have held onto mine with the expansion cards. Best cards were Keys of 60s/70s, World, and Vintage. A "fully expanded" one for $160 was a killer deal. The cards alone in it were easily worth more than that.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recently sold my XV-5080. Was going to buy the vintage and keyboards of the 60/70's expansion board (SRX-07). But then I heard the vintage keyboard sounds on Native Instruments Komplete 8 and I decided that I preferred the sound of the plugins.
πŸ“ Reply